The Weather

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Thought we could start a little thread about the weather.

What's it like in your part of the world?

Also, any weather watchers out there? I'm interested in getting a small weather monitoring station (two in fact) and collecting the data on my Mac (one does not need wind or rain info). Most systems seem to have serial interfaces and blah blah blah. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

What's it like in your part of the world?

Cold. Steam-Punk Goggles cold.

Quote:

Conditions as of 10:54 AM

Clear

Temperature: \t23°

Wind: \tWNW 17 mph (Gusts up to 30 mph)

Dew pointt2°

Pressuret30.11 in.

Wind chillt9°

Humidity: \t40%

Visibility: \t10.0 miles

Observed at: Northeast Philadelphia, PA

• Reply 2 of 44
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Single digits for me (not wind chill, that's below 0). Blowing snow all over. Sledding. The good thing is that the snow doesn't melt when it gets on you.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
  • Reply 4 of 44
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Well lets see. Right now it's 22 degrees and we have more snow than we've had in since 1998! Some are saying this is the most snow for the area since 1968!

The University where I work was closed yesterday and I took today off. Also the school gives us over a week off paid starting tomorrow! So I'm not due back until the 5th. Right now it would be a little difficult to get out of my drive way any way. Last week wasn't fun since this snow has been around since the 14th and the school didn't close due to finals. Really unusual weather for around here when it's usually 40 and rainy. I'm sure it's much worse in other parts of the country but we're just not used to or equipped to deal with this. In my 55 years I've only seen 3 white Christmases. I was joking the other day about this being the way the next ice age starts. It just starts snowing and doesn't stop.

It's pretty but I've had enough now. Supposedly we'll be out of this by the weekend ( fingers crossed ).
  • Reply 5 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well lets see. Right now it's 22 degrees and we have more snow than we've had in since 1998! Some are saying this is the most snow for the area since 1968!

The University where I work was closed yesterday and I took today off. Also the school gives us over a week off paid starting tomorrow! So I'm not due back until the 5th. Right now it would be a little difficult to get out of my drive way any way. Last week wasn't fun since this snow has been around since the 14th and the school didn't close due to finals. Really unusual weather for around here when it's usually 40 and rainy. I'm sure it's much worse in other parts of the country but we're just not used to or equipped to deal with this. In my 55 years I've only seen 3 white Christmases. I was joking the other day about this being the way the next ice age starts. It just starts snowing and doesn't stop.

It's pretty but I've had enough now. Supposedly we'll be out of this by the weekend ( fingers crossed ).

Global Warming.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Please don't derail this thread, too.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Please don't derail this thread, too.

Really.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Currently 50 outside with highs of 60 ish.

Wore shorts and t-shirt Christmas day.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I've been out of power for the last 30 hours. Had to stay in a hotel last night. The frig' is starting to stink so we'll have to toss a bunch of food.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    It'll be 88 this afternoon... the low this morning is 77. The ocean water is 82 degrees. hmmmmm.... I think I'll go swimming. It'll be that way tomorrow too... and the next day... and the next day... and the next week... and the next month... heck, It'll be like that every day of the year.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I went swimming too. At the pool in the hotel. I'm pricing out generators now. I live in a shit box of a city.\
  • Reply 12 of 44
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Global Warming.

This is a thread about weather. How about trying to grasp the difference between weather and climate. There is one, you know.

Right here in my part of S. California:

METAR text: 040153Z 00000KT 10SM BKN060 11/06 A2991 RMK AO2 SLP126 T01110061

Conditions: observed 0153 UTC 04 January 2009

Temperaturet 11.1°C (52°F)

Dewpointt 6.1°C (43°F) [RH = 71%]

Pressure (altimeter)t 29.91 inches Hg (1013.0 mb)

[Sea-level pressure: 1012.6 mb]

Windst calm

Visibilityt 10 or more miles (16+ km)

Ceilingt 6000 feet AGL

Cloudst broken clouds at 6000 feet AGL

Weathert no significant weather observed at this time

At least there no wind. I feel cold whenever it gets below 60ºF.... c'mon Spring!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I went swimming too. At the pool in the hotel. I'm pricing out generators now. I live in a shit box of a city.\

If you go to Kragen/Checker/Whatever they might call it in your part of the country. They have some generators by Champion. They are of Chinese origin but in an RV forum in which I participate, we've been banging out the various cheap brands for years and they are done the best. You can get 3500 watts for $300 most of the time and not let your food go bad or your furnace go off.

I've beat mine to hell and it still starts in two pulls after three years running in the worst conditions when camping. Put some sta-bil in the tank and a few large gas cans and tell your city to go to hell.

As for the weather, it was 2 degrees when I left Utah yesterday. It is 46 now with a claimed high of 52 today here in California. No snow where I live and after a week of it, I'm glad.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    It was under 0 °C. yesterday morning in Sacramento, CA--brrr! It's supposed to rain on and off today.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    nordkappnordkapp Posts: 270member
    should be -5 in my town tonight, good stuff if youre warm.

I know we are not allowed to mention it, lest we be labelled as a loon, but I've been watching http://www.spaceweather.com nearly daily for the last 6 months, mainly for the aurora photography section, but it hasn't escaped my notice that the s**sp*t number has been virtually zero for months.

I promise I wont mention the Mayan calendar.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

The first thing I thought when I saw your images was, "I've been to Chicago in the winter, and 2 degrees is pretty damn warm." Then I saw the forecast and remembered that in american circles, I'm a weirdo.

Sometimes it gets to 41 in the dead of summer, here, when a heat wave passes through.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Lots of snow here in Zurich, Switzerland, as you would expect in Switzerland . But freaking cold.

It was snowing at New Year's and the snow is still there in the city, because it was all the time well below 0 C and will stay like that for at least a week or so.

Normally, this just happens once a year or so in the city. This season, it's already the second or third time. Lots of people breaking legs due to the ice on the sidewalks (was not removed for five days or so).

As I heard, very good snow conditions in the mountains.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The nation's midsection is in the grips of yet another cold snap.

To me, seems a good day to stay inside and drink hot coffee while breaking in a new pair of M-Audio desktop monitors.

Stay warm everyone!
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Here's the current weather in my area as I type this:

(I better run before folks suffering from the cold snap pelt me with big snowballs. )
  • Reply 20 of 44
    76 in Honolulu right now, but the wind was howling across the swell and ruined the break at Waikiki... so no surfing today !!