Apple's iWork suite rumored to go web-based

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

[

I will be curious to see how their implementation compares with 280slides.

I've tried 280slides. Makes my 4GB 2.8GHz brand new MacBook remind me of my old Macintosh SE. Or, actually, it's much slower than writing in WriteNow on the SE.

Turning iWork into a web app only is a stupid idea. Providing web versions of the applications in addition to the real stuff might be a good idea, though.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Because Pages and Numbers weren't sluggish enough.

I think it's pretty obvious that any possible web versions of iWork would supplement -- not replace -- the desktop apps. I'll put all my chips on it.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Frankly, I welcome online access to iWork but if they intend to take it web app only then i've purchased my first and last copy of iWork.

I'll continue along my path and replace iWork with 3rd party apps when they offer a superior solution

I'm ok with the "Cloud" as an addendum to standard desktop computing.

I could be wrong but I don't see how Apple could release iWork as a web app only at this point. We are a ways away from ubiquitous internet access.

In do think Apple will transition iWork to a web app however. When LTE (4g data transmission) is implemented by ATT and Verizon then I think web based computing will really heat up. We know Google are heading in this direction with their Chrome based web browser.

Once ATT and Verizon have got 4g networks up and running, I expect that all Apple laptops will have that capability built in. You'll simply sign up for a carrier when you do the initial set up on a new machine. Seems like I read somewhere that MS is going to transition Office to a web based app as well.

I think Apple will offer a web based iWork as an addition to mobile me so they can work out the kinks. This would be a good idea as they have struggled to provide good service with mobile me so far.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes. It should be free, $99 is an embarrassment at this stage. Step off that fanboi stage please.

shoulda woulda coulda. There's always the Google stuff for the Free crowd.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I agree, there are whole new apps the Mac platform needs. Transferring existing apps from platform to platform seems like it should be a low priority.

Managers at Apple may be listening too much to their technical people who have stars in their eyes about the web platform, or else trying to be too strategic against Microsoft, instead of simply trying to make a better product.

This is where the good sense of Steve Jobs would have come in and saved the day in the past, bringing the focus back to the consumer, instead of the engineers or the competition.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another problem with these "cloud" apps... if you have no net access, you're out of luck. Several power outages recently have really brought that home for me.

Power outage = Computer outage, not just the net.

But yes relying on web access, which may or may not exist or may cost an arm and a leg, is IMHO a baaaaaaad idea.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Because Pages and Numbers weren't sluggish enough.

I think it's pretty obvious that any possible web versions of iWork would supplement -- not replace -- the desktop apps. I'll put all my chips on it.

?or they'll let you download the old version for free because the new one is short of useful, like iMovie.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    I'm totally not liking this idea.... sure, CLOUDY applications are great for doing quick on-the-fly stuff when you don't need the full client version of the application, but to think a web app can or should replace a full client app is just blatantly wrong and bad for business. So, I guess those that don't have Internet are out of luck and I hate uploading files over the net. Guess the kiddies can't use Keynote for classroom presentations anymore.

IMO -- I can only see Apple doing this to compliment their client versions, not to replace it.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I could be wrong but I don't see how Apple could release iWork as a web app only at this point. We are a ways away from ubiquitous internet access.

In do think Apple will transition iWork to a web app however. When LTE (4g data transmission) is implemented by ATT and Verizon then I think web based computing will really heat up. We know Google are heading in this direction with their Chrome based web browser.

Once ATT and Verizon have got 4g networks up and running, I expect that all Apple laptops will have that capability built in. You'll simply sign up for a carrier when you do the initial set up on a new machine. Seems like I read somewhere that MS is going to transition Office to a web based app as well.

I think Apple will offer a web based iWork as an addition to mobile me so they can work out the kinks. This would be a good idea as they have struggled to provide good service with mobile me so far.

Remember, WiMax networks are starting to actually get built, ahead of 4G networks, and Clearwire (CLWR) has the 'edge' here. Apple has actually been hiring WiMax engineers for future products.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Remember, WiMax networks are starting to actually get built, ahead of 4G networks, and Clearwire (CLWR) has the 'edge' here. Apple has actually been hiring WiMax engineers for future products.

True.

Sprint and Clearwire are on shaky ground financially but if they can survive the Great Recession?, then they might just be in position to take advantage of cloud computing with their 4g network.

ATT and Verizon may delay the rollout of their 4g networks due to the poor economic environment. This can only help Clearwire and WiMax.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I like the idea, I think including iWork with MobileMe would be awesome; however, Apple demonstrated total suckiness when it comes to developing web-apps e.g. .Mac and MobileMe.

I have no confidence that they'll do a good job or that they have anything remotely functional yet.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

Happy new year.

WiMax is 4G.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    No. Just no. If it goes web only, that is. The MobileMe launch was an absolute disaster, and I still have occasional trouble just keeping three machines synced. I was *that* close to canceling, considering the unreliability of MobileMe, plus the added feature of no bookmarks. WTF? If it wasn't for the size of iDisk storage & the relative ease of moving files there, I would have been out, after a search for alternatives. I just didn't have the time to really dedicate to finding one, and things smoothed out -- some.

If they offered something like an online version of iWork while keeping it locally accessible, I could see that being of use. I'm all for integration, but I still want to be able to use software I paid for when I don't have any internets, & I don't want all my eggs in the "basket in the sky."
  • Reply 54 of 75
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    keep the regular apps and add these. life w/o these on local media would be dark.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    If this rumor turns out to be true, does this mean that the "cloud" version of iWork would work on a Windows PC then (running Safari of course)?
  • Reply 56 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

If this rumor turns out to be true, does this mean that the "cloud" version of iWork would work on a Windows PC then (running Safari of course)?

Good point Dave. Apple is becoming more and more dependent on PC users (iTunes, iPhones, MobileMe) for reaching revenue/profit goals. I could definitely see them wanting to push forward with web tech because it's cross platform by default.

Hey do that if you want but I still want the desktop apps.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Good point Dave. Apple is becoming more and more dependent on PC users (iTunes, iPhones, MobileMe) for reaching revenue/profit goals. I could definitely see them wanting to push forward with web tech because it's cross platform by default.

Hey do that if you want but I still want the desktop apps.

The Mobile/iPod draws people to buy Macs. The share of total Mac [non iPod/iPhone] growth continues to dwarf industry standards. It's the cake with a very enticing icing on top.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That is a good point. A cloud app which is platform independent would be away to take on Microsoft Office without ever making iWork a "PC" app per-se.

But yeah, I still would want it on my hard drive.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Web apps DON"T interest me for personal use, for work, fine - I don't pay for that stuff.

I am NOT interested in a subscription model for any personal application - I refuse to be anybody's cash cow - including Apple...
  • Reply 60 of 75
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I can see this rumor being half true. I think/hope the meaning of "web-based" from the source involves iPhone connectivity. Without having to install a full version of iWork on the iPhone, users will be able to view and edit iWork and Office documents. With how terrible the MobileMe launch was, and how bad the product continues to be (there are still no alarms in iCal) there is no way we are at the point iWork can go completely on-line. It just doesn't make sense to even bring this rumor out.