Apple introduces iLife '09

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Speaking of space; there use to be a company that had a sub chassis that allowed one to replace your CD drive in a MBP (spring 2008) with a hard disk drive. Anybody know if it is still on the market? I'm really thinking that would be a good place for a SSD.

I believe that was over at Other World Computing.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I believe that was over at Other World Computing.

Oops, my bad. It's here.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

He also said "these are the three apps in ilife"...

referring to iPhoto, iMovie and GB...

no, that's not accurate. i thought he made it quite clear that although there are five apps, he was only discussing three of them. prior to that he'd said there were improvements across the board. he was clearly describing those with the greatest advances.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

Don't you mean Phil?

Not according to Macworld.

Quote:

9:07 PT - DM: An entire new version of iLife. It's iLife '09. Check that one off the list. iLife is "one of the reasons people buy a Mac today." Phil says there's nothing like it on any other platform, despite what the people "up north" think.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1377...expo_live.html

I guess it is pretty hard for these reporters to listen and type at the same time.

Best we all wait to get the QuickTime from Apple and listen to it ourselves before we get in a tizzy who said what.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    iLife requires an Intel processor. Anyone else think that Snow Leopard will support PPC? This looks like it will be with almost 100% certainty that it will not.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Great new features. It's the software that makes every Mac so much more fun than a PC. To bad though that i just got a new MacBook Pro for XMAS and will have to pay 79$ for new iLife and another 79$ for the new iWork.

I would go to your local store with your receipt, sooner rather than later, and politely explain to the manager that you just bought a new computer with iwork and would there be any way you could return the iwork and get the new one and maybe get the new ilife with a discount.

you never know, the manager might say yes to the exchange and maybe even to knocking 10-20% off of the ilife, perhaps even as much as 50% depending on what rules the company has given them

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Both the iWeb and iDVD icons were in Phil's dock... I am assuming small updates to both apps.

yep. i'm thinking the updates are very small and weren't worth wasting time on. like just new themes and under the hood stuff that doesn't look any different.

which is fine with me. the only real improvement I have been dying for with either is to be able to save my own templates to use later.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple has lost it?

Just a MacBook Pro?

think about it for a second. Steve says he should be back to his old self in about six months, about the same time as WWDC which will now be THE Apple event since they are pulling out of 3rd party trade shows (which they would have to pay to play etc)

SO . . . you want to revamp your hardware. there's talk of new processors in the works from your supplier, which are rumored to be due mid year.

do you release now, with your second in command making the announcement and miss the new processors. or do you wait 5-6 months, have your Rockstar CEO be a part of the big announcement and be able not only to host the whole thing yourself (at home, costing you no extra expenses) AND get to use the newest, hottest processors

i see a lot of things that would make not updating until WWDC make a lot of business sense.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Before anybody else starts to belittle what was not presented, e.g., iDVD, iWeb or anything else that was not featured in the keynote, best you check out Apples new postings and and particularly the new videos on them. A lot of new stuff, great stuff and stuff to some just makes it a heck of a lot more worth while.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

well this is nice:

Mac Box Set, Leopard, iLife, and iWork for $169.

Hope that this will also be available with snow leopard.

To bad that iWork is available now, but ilife at the end of January and Snow Leopard sometime in Q2.

Look at it this way. Psystar can now offer iLife and iWork on their machines for $40 more

It is a good deal. I will be waiting until SL before upgrading. I hope they keep Mac Set Box until then.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When exactly did Steve say this? Is this a press release? Looks like someone forgot to change it to Phil Schiller.

Yes, Steve did say that. It is part of the press release. http://www.apple.com/pr/
  • Reply 30 of 92
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    This should be a greta app
  • Reply 31 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

iLife requires an Intel processor. Anyone else think that Snow Leopard will support PPC?.

Not true - http://www.apple.com/ilife/systemrequirements.html

Quote:

This looks like it will be with almost 100% certainty that it will not.

What does this sentence mean? ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 92
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Too lazy to look youself?

http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/

This was long before the update on the website... check the time stamp
  • Reply 33 of 92
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hope iMovie can export back to Tape

You know tape is the dumbest way to store/share/distribute movies right?
  • Reply 34 of 92
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:

iLife requires an Intel processor. Anyone else think that Snow Leopard will support PPC? This looks like it will be with almost 100% certainty that it will not.

I seem to recall that Snow Leopard does require an Intel processor. At least the current betas do.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

I just read at MacNN that clips can be slowed down. I don't know yet about rewinding and fastfowarding. Chapters can be done in GarageBand or in iDVD directly...(they may have changed it to where you can customize chapters in iDVD instead of doing it in iMovie which would quite honestly make sense but there's no sense in discussing it until I can get a copy)

Yeah, chapters only make sense if you are producing a DVD. I'm pretty sure they moved the feature to iDVD when iMovie 08 came out for that reason.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Both the iWeb and iDVD icons were in Phil's dock... I am assuming small updates to both apps.

iWeb can now export directly via FTP. That's like saying "iWeb... now it's useful!" to most folks. Seems like such a mention would have gotten more applause than some of the other stuff that was presented in the keynote.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Prey tell, o wise one, why would that be?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I went and looked at the previews of the artist lessons for the new Garage Band. It is cool but sort of weird. Most musicians already know most rock/pop songs are pretty basic but this makes it feel even more so. It just feels weird to have Sting greeting me like he works at Best Buy and wants to know if he can help me.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Great new features. It's the software that makes every Mac so much more fun than a PC. To bad though that i just got a new MacBook Pro for XMAS and will have to pay 79$ for new iLife and another 79$ for the new iWork.

No you don't. They have an upgrade program for new Mac purchases.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Perhaps not the best way to share/distribute it, but if you have a lot of raw footage, it is one of the better ways to store it. Tape will last longer and hold more than CD/DVDs. You could also argue that tape is less likely to suffer total failure. If a hard drive fails, you could lose everything on that hard drive. If there is an error on the tape, you might lose a few seconds of footage, but you can still recover the rest of your footage.