Apple introduces iLife '09

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

iLife requires an Intel processor. Anyone else think that Snow Leopard will support PPC? This looks like it will be with almost 100% certainty that it will not.

No, I don't believe you're correct. iLife requires OSX Leopard, not an Intel processor.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You know tape is the dumbest way to store/share/distribute movies right?

Maybe he's writing back to Beta or 1" tape?
  • Reply 43 of 92
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

iLife requires an Intel processor. Anyone else think that Snow Leopard will support PPC? This looks like it will be with almost 100% certainty that it will not.

You need to read the article next time. No, Snow Leopard will not support a 5 year old PPC processor.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Based on the system requirements, it sounds like the new iLife will run dog slow on single processor G5 and G4 Macs. iLife 08 is already slow on my iMac G5, and painfully slow on my older iMac G4 (especially iPhoto). Still love iMovie HD 6, and have no intention of using the replacement iMovie.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    I'm not sure how many people care to do this but it is a feature I've been waiting for. Can iPhoto '09 do this? I didn't find a reference to this on the website but I only did a quick look through.

For anyone wondering the reason I would like to do this is because I manage a few websites where I allow users to download pictures from my gallery. I have over 20000 pictures and when users add pictures to their cart to download all at once it does not preserve the album structure. So if all the pictures are named img7098.jpg etc. they won't know what the picture is of unless they open the file.

Currently, I use iPhoto '08 to manage my library of pictures. I import the pictures from the camera using image capture and then delete the bad ones and use a batch renamer to give the pictures a descriptive filename, for example naiaregionalxc2008.jpg. And then import the renamed files into iPhoto. While I don't mind doing this, it just takes extra time and wife refuses to use this process - so I got back later and change the names of the albums she imports and yes I guess I am a bit OCD about the iPhoto library.

If anyone reading this has a better workflow - I'd like to hear about it. I've tried Aperture but my wife won't use it - so it doesn't really solve my issue.

I would hand over $79 in a heartbeat if iPhoto '09 does this.

Kevin
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

I'm not sure how many people care to do this but it is a feature I've been waiting for. Can iPhoto '09 do this? I didn't find a reference to this on the website but I only did a quick look through.

For anyone wondering the reason I would like to do this is because I manage a few websites where I allow users to download pictures from my gallery. I have over 20000 pictures and when users add pictures to their cart to download all at once it does not preserve the album structure. So if all the pictures are named img7098.jpg etc. they won't know what the picture is of unless they open the file.

Currently, I use iPhoto '08 to manage my library of pictures. I import the pictures from the camera using image capture and then delete the bad ones and use a batch renamer to give the pictures a descriptive filename, for example naiaregionalxc2008.jpg. And then import the renamed files into iPhoto. While I don't mind doing this, it just takes extra time and wife refuses to use this process - so I got back later and change the names of the albums she imports and yes I guess I am a bit OCD about the iPhoto library.

If anyone reading this has a better workflow - I'd like to hear about it. I've tried Aperture but my wife won't use it - so it doesn't really solve my issue.

I would hand over $79 in a heartbeat if iPhoto '09 does this.

Kevin

If you have to manage 20K images, sounds like you might want to look into Aperture or Lightroom.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Both the iWeb and iDVD icons were in Phil's dock... I am assuming small updates to both apps.

Yep, both are updated but didn't get demoed. The demoed apps also have additional features that they didn't show.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When exactly did Steve say this? Is this a press release? Looks like someone forgot to change it to Phil Schiller.

Press release.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

"aging fleet" -- LOL!!

I guess you're ignorant of how long it has been since machines like the Mini and Mac Pro have been updated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You need to read the article next time. No, Snow Leopard will not support a 5 year old PPC processor.

Who said anything about a five year old processor? There are PPC machines that are newer than that. The question is whether 10.6 will run on PPC, and I don't believe that has been answered definitilvely, people are just speculating.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Can you do searches for body parts other than "faces"?
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can you do searches for other body parts besides "faces"?

That's why God invented the Internets.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

That's why God invented the Internets.

I mean- who cares about the face?
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:

If you have to manage 20K images, sounds like you might want to look into Aperture or Lightroom.

I've tried it but my wife won't use it, so I'd have to got back and fix her pictures still. I don't do much editing, if any. It has been a while since I tried Aperture so maybe I'll give it another try. But can Aperture change filenames?
  • Reply 52 of 92
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Seems like some nice updates, both to iLife and iWork. I think I'll hold out and see if they update the Mac Box Set to Snow Leopard before buying though - I want all three of those this year, so I might as well see if I can get them at the best possible price.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:

I've tried it but my wife won't use it, so I'd have to got back and fix her pictures still. I don't do much editing, if any. It has been a while since I tried Aperture so maybe I'll give it another try. But can Aperture change filenames?

I'm no expert, but I believe you can batch rename files.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Seems like some nice updates, both to iLife and iWork. I think I'll hold out and see if they update the Mac Box Set to Snow Leopard before buying though - I want all three of those this year, so I might as well see if I can get them at the best possible price.

My impression is that Snow Leopard may not be coming out for some time. I'm getting the current Box Set offering.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Yes, Aperture can rename files with sequence numbers during import, or as a batch after import. However, there are also tools that can do this at the finder level (this can also be done easily with Unix shell scripts or AppleScript if you know how). You can then import into iPhoto.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    tranetrane Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Yes, Aperture can rename files with sequence numbers during import, or as a batch after import. However, there are also tools that can do this at the finder level (this can also be done easily with Unix shell scripts or AppleScript if you know how). You can then import into iPhoto.

I believe the problem wasn't in renaming files to have sequence numbers, but that if you change the name of a file after importing it to iPhoto then iPhoto gets all confused because it's still looking for the old file. iPhoto provides no mechanism to change the name of the underlying file. Say if you don't want every file being named like img0009.jpg. It would be a smart feature for the common user to be able to rename it to "Fishing With Grandpa.jpg" after it's already in iPhoto.

Granted, iPhoto seems to welcome 3rd party plugins well enough that the feature could be added. I'd do it, but the last time I thought about doing one of these, Apple went and released the feature before I could get started (face detection and tagging, really).

- Trane
  • Reply 57 of 92
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Can iWeb actually produce and manage more than 1 web site at a time now?

I found that missing from the first release ridiculous.

Thanks for any info!
  • Reply 58 of 92
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Please, oh please, please please, Apple, gimme tables for iWeb!!!!

I know that there are other apps out there that have tables, for example, ALL OF THEM, but for some of my stuff, iWeb is perfect.

I just really would like to see tables. I hope that they're in '09.

www.glacialdrumlin.com is the one site that I use iWeb for. Tables would really help me out.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I believe the problem wasn't in renaming files to have sequence numbers, but that if you change the name of a file after importing it to iPhoto then iPhoto gets all confused because it's still looking for the old file. iPhoto provides no mechanism to change the name of the underlying file. Say if you don't want every file being named like img0009.jpg. It would be a smart feature for the common user to be able to rename it to "Fishing With Grandpa.jpg" after it's already in iPhoto.

Oh indeed, it would be a nice feature if files could be batch-renamed in iPhoto, but batch-renaming them prior to import is an alternative to spending $200 for Aperture and then learning how to use it (as its interface can be a bit intimidating at first; I personally could not live without Aperture and very rarely use iPhoto anymore).
  • Reply 60 of 92
    tranetrane Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Oh indeed, it would be a nice feature if files could be batch-renamed in iPhoto, but batch-renaming them prior to import is an alternative to spending $200 for Aperture and then learning how to use it (as its interface can be a bit intimidating at first; I personally could not live without Aperture and very rarely use iPhoto anymore).

I use iPhoto to download them from my camera, so there is no "prior to import".