Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Remember that inside info Andy Ihnatko said he got from a contact before the macworld show? Ya know, the info which made him look like a fool when it turns out nothing of any big deal was shown at macworld?

Well it turns out that he might be vindicated after all. It seems more apple insider sources are seeding other tech columnists with info that a new Mac Mini and a "huge" surprise will be revealed later this month by Apple. As you read below it would seem Apple is doing this on purpose.

Read below:

Quote:

Rumor - The Mac Mini and something “huge” to come from Apple this month?

by Jake Gaecke on Jan 9, 2009

Disappointed by Apple’s Keynote announcements? Me too. We were all expecting something in the way of hardware that wasn’t completely obvious (i.e. the 17” MacBook Pro). Well, we received some potentially good news. While discussing the fate of the expo with a long-time Macintosh software developer, we received a tip from someone in the know about Apple’s coming plans, and it seems that those plans involve a big finger to Macworld.

The tip goes like this. Apple is planning on updating the Mac Mini very soon, and that update won’t be it’s death. In fact, it’s most likely ready as you read this, and could have been announced at Macworld. But instead of announcing it here, Apple held back, seemingly in an effort to prove that they don’t need Macworld. The announcement could come as soon as two weeks. But, as much as I want a new Mac Mini, that’s not the juice in this tip.

Apparently, Apple also has a “huge” announcement that will make the Mac Mini news pale in comparison to the other half of this rumor. Unfortunately, that’s all we know. Our source, who says he heard this directly from Apple reps at this week’s Expo, wouldn’t tell him more than that, but he finds this particularly peculiar. He has had Apple reps slip information to him before, but not this freely. This info, he says, was offered straight off without any questioning, as if it isn’t a secret, but is. He believes Apple is purposely letting this information slip in an effort to further prove the company doesn’t need the Macworld Conference and Expo, and to immediately start generating interest in their own event and to build bigger news than what’s coming from the Moscone Center this week. If this is true, it’s working.

Apple will more than likely be holding a special event shortly for the two big announcements; the first is the Mac Mini, to which Apple expects to you… excuse me… yawn. The second is in true Apple style, completely a secret. But it’s gigantic and will make your mouth drop in a way that doesn’t involve yawning. Stay tuned, things should be heating up shortly.

link to article at appletell: http://www.appletell.com/apple/comme...omething-huge/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 487
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It seems more apple insider sources are seeding other tech columnists with info that a new Mac Mini and a "huge" surprise will be revealed later this month by Apple.

Well, if this other huge surprise is iPhone related, my jaw may drop but it will be from yawn.
  • Reply 2 of 487
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    iPhone nano anyone? Yawn...

But perhaps it's a mid-range tower? The X-Mac!

What other hardware could reasonably be presented along a Mac mini?

Alternatively something along a Superbowl ad, some 25th anniversary Macintosh.

Although '2009 won't be like 2009' somehow does not have the same ring as '1984 won't be like 1984'.

[They could try that again in 2012, perhaps.]

We'll see. We should know no later than 1st week of February. And if really Apple intentionally leaked those 'rumors' then I'm sure they're going to leak some more until the official unveiling.

Yet last time Apple stirred up public interest all we got was a lukewarm iTunes announcement...
  • Reply 3 of 487
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

iPhone nano anyone? Yawn...

But perhaps it's a mid-range tower? The X-Mac!

What other hardware could reasonably be presented along a Mac mini?

Alternatively something along a Superbowl ad, some 25th anniversary Macintosh.

Although '2009 won't be like 2009' somehow does not have the same ring as '1984 won't be like 1984'.

[They could try that again in 2012, perhaps.]

We'll see. We should know no later than 1st week of February. And if really Apple intentionally leaked those 'rumors' then I'm sure they're going to leak some more until the official unveiling.

Yet last time Apple stirred up public interest all we got was a lukewarm iTunes announcement...

Yeah that purposefully boring macworld was to spite IDG it would seem. But it might bite them in the foot because its like they are crying wolf or something.

Would you guys really yawn if it was an iphone nano?

Heh, heh......after the Palm Pre news a negative reception to an iphone nano should be pretty entertaining.
  • Reply 4 of 487
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    If Apple did make a small tower or 25th Anniversary Mac model, and it used i7 processors, how would the i7 processor power compare with the quad and 8 core Xeon MacPro? I'd expect it to slot inbetween iMac and MacPro, in terms of power. There's a lot of confusion over the potential new desktops though, with the 28" iMac, Mac mini/Apple TV, xMac and whatever else there is flying around. Maybe they'll kill the iMac and sell packages with the 24" DisplayPort LCD (yeah right).
  • Reply 5 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

If Apple did make a small tower or 25th Anniversary Mac model, and it used i7 processors, how would the i7 processor power compare with the quad and 8 core Xeon MacPro? I'd expect it to slot inbetween iMac and MacPro, in terms of power. There's a lot of confusion over the potential new desktops though, with the 28" iMac, Mac mini/Apple TV, xMac and whatever else there is flying around. Maybe they'll kill the iMac and sell packages with the 24" DisplayPort LCD (yeah right).

While an updated macpro would be cool I don't see it being this "huge" announcement everybody in the know is talking about.
  • Reply 6 of 487
    Ebook / ejournal reader. Books store. Deals with newspapers.

If I am right I am a genius.
  • Reply 7 of 487
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Would you guys really yawn if it was an iphone nano?

Yes

The iPhone Nano sounds good enough in theory, but any phone, regardless of how cool it is, that's stuck to a phone company whose prices and service are terrible (AT&T in the states, Rogers in Canada) won't get me excited.

Now opening the iPhone to other carriers? That's more like it.
  • Reply 8 of 487
    Here is my theory.......Apple becomes their own wireless network provider. You heard it here first folks!
  • Reply 9 of 487
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Here is my theory.......Apple becomes their own wireless network provider. You heard it here first folks!

How about Apple buys Sprint. Your precious Pre is screwed.
  • Reply 10 of 487
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Time to dig this up.
    Quote:

Appleinsider Dec. 2006: Apple intends to integrate the software on a couple of devices beginning early next year, those people say, while more comprehensive plans call for it to form the bedrock of a jaw-dropping device not due to hit the market until the following year.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._strategy.html Could we finally see the jaw dropping device?
  • Reply 11 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

How about Apple buys Sprint. Your precious Pre is screwed.

LOL! That would be hilarious if that were to happen.
  • Reply 12 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Ebook / ejournal reader. Books store. Deals with newspapers...

That's not new ... it's called an iPhone (or iPod Touch.)
  • Reply 13 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So I bought myself an ipod touch a few days ago to see if my theories on such devices held true.

And yup I was right. The screen is too small to do any real reading, browsing, or even very light computing. However the screen size does lend itself toward very brief computer functions which I guess what a cell phone is good for anyways.

Screen size versus pocketability. I think Apple has the answer.

Well, the entire industry already has the answer. But which company will be the first out with the answer in the form of a mass produced commercial product?
  • Reply 14 of 487
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Ebook / ejournal reader. Books store. Deals with newspapers.

While I don't see it as a device specifically designed to be an ebook reader that would be a functionality supported on the device. Or I should say devices as I can see Apple marketing Touch based devices in several sizes. Hopefully the first device is paperback sized or slightly bigger.

I still see such a device filling the roll of a Newton 2 or bigger iPod Touch. The larger screen obviously makes for better net connectivity and eBook reader functionality. With the tech Apple is able to throw at it the device should come in very thin and hopefully crammed with flash.

Quote:

If I am right I am a genius.

Actually I hope you are very close, but no genius award for you. I'm also hoping I'm close when it comes to internal storage. I really hope that Apple grasps just how important lots of flash will be in this device.

For example I have several magazine subscriptions that I read regurally. Some of these I would very much like to see stored on a device like this basically forever. Not all magazines mind you but at least the ones that I like to refer back to often. It would sort of become an electronic book shelf of sorts, greatly reducing the sizes of physical collections. Likewise with books, some you just need to keep forever others are only good for a partial read.

The other twist Apple needs to throw on this is searchability. Hopefully every delivery of a newspaper, magazine or book would result in that publication being indexed and cataloged into a searchable database. The one thing that sucks about physical books is finding that piece O' info you know you read about last year!

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The device might use the same OS but that doesn't mean that the iPhone is passable as an ebook reader. It is not even close, this from somebody that loves his iPhone. The problem is nothing more than the lack of screen real estate. A secondary issue is the lack of storage.

In any event I'm beginning to wonder if we are on the wrong track here. After all this is suppose to be a device with no rumors circulating about it. The problem is tablet rumors are rampant.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I don't see it as a device specifically designed to be an ebook reader that would be a functionality supported on the device. Or I should say devices as I can see Apple marketing Touch based devices in several sizes. Hopefully the first device is paperback sized or slightly bigger.

I still see such a device filling the roll of a Newton 2 or bigger iPod Touch. The larger screen obviously makes for better net connectivity and eBook reader functionality. With the tech Apple is able to throw at it the device should come in very thin and hopefully crammed with flash.

Actually I hope you are very close, but no genius award for you. I'm also hoping I'm close when it comes to internal storage. I really hope that Apple grasps just how important lots of flash will be in this device.

For example I have several magazine subscriptions that I read regurally. Some of these I would very much like to see stored on a device like this basically forever. Not all magazines mind you but at least the ones that I like to refer back to often. It would sort of become an electronic book shelf of sorts, greatly reducing the sizes of physical collections. Likewise with books, some you just need to keep forever others are only good for a partial read.

The other twist Apple needs to throw on this is searchability. Hopefully every delivery of a newspaper, magazine or book would result in that publication being indexed and cataloged into a searchable database. The one thing that sucks about physical books is finding that piece O' info you know you read about last year!

Dave

Wizard69......its going to be a flexible screen not a tablet. That is the answer.
  • Reply 17 of 487
    I'm having a hard time believing all of this "jaw-dropping" device stuff. If this is such an incredible thing and so secretly guarded, why would Apple see that a couple of outside people were told about it (a journalist no less)? If this really happened it wouldn't still be a secret.
  • Reply 18 of 487
    Quote:

Wizard69......its going to be a flexible screen not a tablet. That is the answer.

This is certainly possible as I've read many an artical in PHOTONICS/Spectra over the last couple of years reporting on the efforts in the various labs. It would be expensive though but not so much for the screen as the electronics. The biggest problems with roll up screens is where do you put the electronics. A CPU board running parallel to the screen offers up a lot of space for electronics that really don't take up much space.

How one deals with this on a roll up screen will be very interesting. Maybe Apple can meet the issue half way with a folding screen. This folder would likely be better suited for an iPhone but could offer a realtively large screen in a trifold design. I think I would like such an IPhone but I'm not sure about a larger device.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'm having a hard time believing all of this "jaw-dropping" device stuff. If this is such an incredible thing and so secretly guarded, why would Apple see that a couple of outside people were told about it (a journalist no less)? If this really happened it wouldn't still be a secret.

I guess they wanted to make sure that the buzz was not going to be around macworld but for another event. If they have their own event and Steve debuted something spectacular then they will prove that they don't need Macworld anymore for any major announcements.
  • Reply 20 of 487
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe Apple can meet the issue half way with a folding screen.

Agree. I don't think roll-up screens are the future as the constant roll/unroll wear and tear would bring them to an end too quickly.

But a folding screen, like the one Samsung demonstrated, would make sense IMHO.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/09/o...exible-screen/

Since OLEDs can be 0.5mm thin, or even thinner, two such screens folding up would not actually make the device much thicker. The hinge is the real engineering issue.

But as with Samsung's prototype, for a mobile phone you'd almost want 3 screens, one on the outside and two folding on the inside, to not have to unfold it every time you get a call.

A multitouch MacTablet like that would be amazing though. Imagine something smaller to carry than a MacBook but when unfolded with same screen real estate than a MacBook Pro 17".

I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing such a device within the next decade.