Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 241
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Steve, I wish you a speedy recovery, dignity, and above all else, privacy.
  • Reply 42 of 241
    I hope the very best to Steve and his family.

It'd be swell if they schedule the upcoming iPhone keynote with Phil Schiller and halfway through, a newly buffed up Steve Jobs re-enters the stage a la iMac g3 with the new iTablet.
  • Reply 43 of 241
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Ahhhh...capitalism at its worst with some of the most vicious comments about Jobs to date. Without Jobs there would have been no Apple; I wish Apple was not publicly traded as we would get rid of some of the scum here whose only interest are their bloody stock prices!
  • Reply 44 of 241
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

It must be pretty bad, especially when you consider that his recent letter said he'd be well by spring, now he's taking a leave of absence until the middle of summer.

Sad day for us Apple fans, all we can hope is that Steve is stronger than cancer.

btw, Steve's cancer has a 5 year survival rate, he's in year 4 and something right now

All cancer has a five year survival rate. All cancer has a 1 year survival rate, and a 50 year survival rate. For some it's 90%. For others it's 0%. What's the five year survival rate, that's the question.
  • Reply 45 of 241
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shit there goes my stock

Apple's stock has been sliding down along with the indices all day:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=...EXNASDAQ:.IXIC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

The only reason I'm making a selfish comment about a serious health issue is because I wouldn't even know about Apple if it weren't for Steve Jobs. I wouldn't have an imac or an iphone 3G.

Steve Jobs is Apple. Apple will wither on the vine over several months until they're bought out. It's over!

Without Jobs, I don't know if Apple would even have ever made an iMac, at least not what we've seen. A lot of OS X is based on what Apple bought from NeXT, one of the companies that Jobs was working on.
  • Reply 46 of 241
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are.

Uhhhh, overreact much? Chill out.
  • Reply 47 of 241
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is a dark day. At least he can afford the best doctors and advice.
  • Reply 48 of 241
    aakaaaka Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

We pray for your speedy recovery, Steve.

You are a giant among men.

And I second that. Get well and come back soon. We will pray for your good health.

Arvi
  • Reply 49 of 241
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    You've got all my best wishes, Steve. Get well soon. That's more important than anything else in the world.
  • Reply 50 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL.

Some people in this thread are emotionally shattered by the news that Jobs will be dead pretty soon, pushing up daisies.

They lost their Messiah.

wow!!! do you serve fries with that insensitive bs.

You don't have to drink the kool aid to have a heart.

• Reply 51 of 241
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Isn't Steve a Buddist? I wonder if he thinks he'll come to life back as the New Microsoft CEO. Some of you guys may be A switcher soon!
  • Reply 52 of 241
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are. If you don't like Apple products then don't buy them.

Well said. Seems like a good time to go through and revoke memberships to this blog to me. Never been easier to spot the Trolls.
  • Reply 53 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Not so good for stock holders but possibly good for customers. We might get more variety in Apple products without Steve's hard line on various issues.

Like GM! They have a make or model to please everyone! From Saturn to Cadillac to Corvette, every model has great cupholders and looks and performance that's hard to beat, and at a price to smile about!

Instead of a paltry few models updated infrequently, I for one can't wait for the PowerMac 3200, the MacBook Pro XR280, and dozens of other models, and with as many options as a Dell and with monthly updates in order to keep the smiles coming!

The first thing I'd like to see is an 18 inch tablet with WiMAX, a memory stick reader, dvorak keyboard, and lots of custom color options. That'd be AWESOME. To hell with making it "decent".
  • Reply 54 of 241
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Just quit the company already and let more experienced/better executives take over, like Tim Cook and Phil Schiller. We'll be better off without you.

Nice... Must be cool to be so bad-ass.
  • Reply 55 of 241
    If Steve goes, so does Apple, it's happened before and will happen again. There will be nobody for Microsoft to chase and computers will be stuck with either whatever Windows version was the last to take inspiration from an Apple product for 20 years, or one of the many pernickety Linux distros.

Steve didn't make anything that was really new, he just made his version so much more complete, I have read much from ex employees about how much he wanted whatever was being worked on to be perfect, and wouldn't take anything less - the 'hard line' mentioned above. If it wasn't for this hard line, then we would most likely get less. Anyone care to remember the 90's?

The new MacBook Air or iPhone isn't specifically technology we haven't seen before or been using for years, but it is the way in which it's been executed that's the real innovation. I'm sure there's plenty of talented people at Apple that have helped along the way, Jonathan Ive for instance, but Steve's the guy pointing the way for these guy's to pull it together.

He knows how to shake things up a little anyway, the iPhone for example, it's not perfect, but look at all the copy cats struggling to keep up. They have led the way and others are being forced to follow.

Then again, I'd be very surprised if he was done for.

Get better soon!
  • Reply 56 of 241
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Steve deserves the time off and has demonstrated that others at Apple can keep things going "insanely great".

I know their stock will suffer in the coming days, but please let the man get a break.
  • Reply 57 of 241
    This has Enron written all over it
  • Reply 58 of 241
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Isn't Steve a Buddist? I wonder if he thinks he'll come to life back as the New Microsoft CEO. Some of you guys may be A switcher soon!

Buddhists don't actually believe in rebirth in that way. Your thinking of this guy's religion maybe:

• Reply 59 of 241
    Quote:

LOL.

Some people in this thread are emotionally shattered by the news that Jobs will be dead pretty soon, pushing up daisies.

They lost their Messiah.

No Messiah, just got respect for him.
  • Reply 60 of 241
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewaudi View Post

No Messiah, just got respect for him.

The investors agree. AAPL down 10% in after-hours.