Apple rumored to adopt NVIDIA's Ion platform

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Based on reports from an unnamed NVIDIA partner, a PC Enthusiast website has controversially concluded that Apple's next Mac mini will be using NVIDIA's Ion platform, which pairs NVIDIA's 9400M system controller and integrated GPU with Intel's low power Atom processor.

Writing for Tom's Hardware, Tuan Nguyen said that Apple was among the earliest recipients of NVIDIA's Ion samples, reporting that the company "received prototype units long before Nvidia partners who opted to work on Ion." The article's headline calls the move to Ion in the Mac mini "confirmed," but earlier reports from trusted sources seem to conflict with this notion.

Ion and Atom

NVIDIA's new Ion platform uses the same 9400M system controller used in the MacBook and MacBook Pro, which takes the place of both the Northbridge and Southbridge controller chips used in earlier Intel Macs (such as those using Intel's Santa Rosa platform), as well as handling integrated graphics processing.

NVIDIA's GPU experience gives the all-in-one controller significantly better graphics performance than Intel's GMA-series of integrated graphics chips that Apple had been using, and the 9400M even stacks up fairly well against the performance of decent discrete GPU processors.

However, Intel's Atom processor is designed to be a low cost, energy efficient x86-compatible GPU intended to compete against embedded processors such as ARM. Moving the Mac mini from its existing Core 2 Duo CPU to an Atom processor would appear to result in a drastic reduction in performance.

Ion uses the new dual-core Atom 330, which runs at 1.6 GHz and uses a 533MHz front side bus for RAM. The current Mac mini uses a 64-bit Core 2 Duo running at 1.83 or 2 GHz, and 667 MHz RAM. The Atom processor line (which includes the chip originally referred to as Silverthorne) has advanced rapidly as Intel works to take on the low power market now dominated by ARM licensees, but is no match for Intel's mainstream, full power desktop processors.

OpenCL to the rescue?

The trade off to a slower CPU might be possible were Apple able to pass more of the Mac mini's processing load to the relatively fast GPU, using the company's brand new OpenCL technology. Moving to Ion would give Apple the potential to deliver a cheaper mini, with NVIDIA throwing around numbers closer to $400 for simple Ion-based "desktop netbook" computer.

However, OpenCL is part of the still unreleased Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6. While it should be able to dramatically accelerate some functions that work well on a GPU, such as HD video processing, it can't magically shift the majority of system overhead to the GPU. An Ion-based Mac mini would likely be a huge downgrade from the current model in basic GPU performance, which might not fly with Apple's customers even at a significantly lower price.

Additionally, other evidence suggests that the next Mac mini will not go the route of the netbook. Last month, AppleInsider reported on internal references to new Mac mini and iMac models using the same NVIDIA MCP79 platform found in the last year's series of unibody notebooks. That would indicate an NVIDIA 9400M GPU paired with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

Other reliable sources have also said that the Mac mini refresh is intended to occur earlier than the March date cited in the Ion report. Additionally, rather than being a stripped down mini-computer, other sources have maintained that the next Mac mini will be as full featured as the existing model, with dual display connectors, FW800, and an additional fifth USB 2.0 port.

Apple TV to go Ion?

It's still possible Apple will be using the Ion platform elsewhere, and a prime candidate could well be Apple TV. It currently uses a low power, 1 GHz Intel Pentium Crofton CPU, so moving to the new dual core Atom 330 and a better GPU would be an upgrade.

Apple still isn't making any money on Apple TV, with tear down reports suggesting that it sells the existing unit nearly at its materials cost. The power of the NVIDIA 9400M GPU would mean the unit no longer needs its standalone NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 GPU, but could still decode HD video.

It's also possible that Apple is targeting a new low cost, low power computer at emerging markets, and planning to leave the Apple TV and Mac mini with more evolutionary, incremental updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    We've been through this one. The only product that makes sense is the AppleTV.
  • Reply 2 of 136
    DEAR GOD, NOOOO !

Adi
  • Reply 3 of 136
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

DEAR GOD, NOOOO !

Adi

See the comment above yours.
  • Reply 4 of 136
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

We've been through this one. The only product that makes sense is the AppleTV.

Or an Apple netbook?

And to go the distance, it could be the mystery WOW! project mentioned in another thread; possibly the return of the Newton?!?

And by that, I mean the Mac touch?!
  • Reply 5 of 136
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    And this thing will run Mac OS X Server like previous minis? hah.

The Apple TV and netbook suggestions are far more reasonable.
  • Reply 6 of 136
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    2 more months and a downgrade. Coupling it with the "what do you take me for?" feeling I get from the Mini now, it somehow seems likely. I feel sick.
  • Reply 7 of 136
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I called this in the other thread when NVidia announced the Ion at CES. (Complete with pictures of it on a mac mini). Fact is, the atom + 9400m simply can't play most 1080p formats. I find it highly sad if this even makes it in the AppleTV or Mini.

Oh well, guess I'll be building my OWN HTPC since apple can't supply one.
  • Reply 8 of 136
    Not out of speculation on anything that's coming out, because it seems that the mini is considered a pain for Apple to continue doing as it wants to maintain its luxury status, but here's what I'd like to see:

A solid performer, slightly above other small form factor desktops available, the ability to hold 4 gigs of ram or more, and an expandable spot for a harddrive and/or firewire 800. If only firewire 800 is used, an additional ministack (as they sell now) with a power pass through port for expandability. If made specifically for the mini, the port could be on the bottom of the mini, so if you need more room then you just stack it beneath and it maintains a clean footprint, no extra wires.

The reason for this is so it can hold lots of media. With the digital switch, everyone has plasmas and LCD's, (maybe with the converter too, I don't know) that allow these to be used as monitors. Now people want to use their new monitors/TV's to do all sorts of neat stuff, that's where the mini comes in. It does internet, it plays DVD's, all on the same screen you already have, and possibly looks and works better than that clunky windows desktop with the analog monitor you still have kicking around (of course it runs windows too).

Now that's cool, but what if instead of Front Row, for an upgraded price (or included), you could also have it operate as an Apple TV, with its simple little remote, you can order whatever movie you want from Apple's growing library, negating a separate several hundred dollar device that doesn't sell that well (but could still be sold separately, or used to up-sell to the new mini), and allowing you to do all sorts of content/web crossover. Plus it plays your files from other networked macs, can be used for a photo slideshow and all the stuff an Apple TV does, and what the hell, you can buy boxee for it too and then never leave the couch. Want more remote, but not a keyboard by the TV? Control your computer/theater through a virtual keyboard on your iphone/touch similar to how remote app works now.

Have an internal BluRay player/DVD/extra hard drive option, or if not Blu Ray yet (bag of hurt) have the stackable ports so you can sell a plug-in BD drive later (that operates through fw800) so you can get that 1080p content, and just be sure you're not missing any hair-whisp level details. Plus its apple branded so it costs more and looks clean. And it locks in so there's no risk of it falling off if you pick it up. Oh and a mini app store for games for ATV and ATVmini. Free stuff and time wasters that it doesn't take a PS3 to display with pretty good enough graphics. If the mini finds itself connected to a lot of TV's, then it's going to attract a lot of game developers to the Apple platform, no harm in that so long as they keep the games within the mini's specs for display, and people don't feel disappointed in its performance.

That's all with upgrades, but there's still the base model that's a cut above the other mini-desktops, it's cheap for server use, has very little media stuff for office use (also cheap) and functions as a cheap mac entry point for switchers, poor people who otherwise can't afford a nice, stable machine so they may advance, and for the elderly to play mini-games.

That's my too much coffee wish for the mini's future.
  • Reply 9 of 136
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Or an Apple netbook?

And to go the distance, it could be the mystery WOW! project mentioned in another thread; possibly the return of the Newton?!?

And by that, I mean the Mac touch?!

Nah.

Apple is pretty much firmly committed to ARM chips for it's portables (other than the laptops). It's hard to believe that Apple would have any use for the Atom. If the article isn't a complete error, it's much more likely that this is for the AppleTV.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Depending on if FW is included and a Superdrive a $399 Atom based

mini would be merely passable.

I doubt it'd run iLife very well and i'm not banking on OpenCL gaining any real

traction until 10.7.

It would make for a nice basic web surfing box and iWork and other productivity apps. Though I think there's a snowballs chance that Apple actually delivers a $400 computer.

Odds are they attempt to pass this off as an acceptable $500 computer which would be a joke.
  • Reply 11 of 136
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Depending on if FW is included and a Superdrive a $399 Atom based

mini would be merely passable.

I doubt it'd run iLife very well and i'm not banking on OpenCL gaining any real

traction until 10.7.

It would make for a nice basic web surfing box and iWork and other productivity apps. Though I think there's a snowballs chance that Apple actually delivers a $400 computer.

Odds are they attempt to pass this off as an acceptable $500 computer which would be a joke.

+1. To keep it at the same price points would be a slap in the face. I can't see the atom being quicker than what's in them now. How would they even market that? (not that apple's marketing is always 100% truthful in the first place).
  • Reply 12 of 136
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Well, if it is an Ion platform, hmm, they make the Mac mini half the thickness, perhaps even less than an inch by using a 1.8" HDD. Imagine the external DVD for the MBA, and add half an inch to the bottom. You also lose half the ports.

Of course who in their right mind would buy such a computer?
  • Reply 13 of 136
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    The 3 people I know who bought an Apple TV all have the same thing to say... Apple TV Sucks!

All 3 of them returned them.

2 bought a mac mini.

They hated them because they couldn't stream anything but quicktime media to them. They were not about to spend years converting all their media to quicktime/h264.

Nor did they want to hack the box and void warranty.

Apple could sell a hundred million of them tomorrow if they opened up the Apple TV to play other media.

Unfortunately, they wont, insisting on cramming their losing format down people's throat in a business where they only have 7-8% of market share.

Microsoft is going to release the exact same box, except it will be able to play divx, avi, wmv, and quicktime. Where will that leave the Mac Mini which almost everyone I know who has one is using it as a media box?

Dead is where.

Apple needs to drop all the DRM crap. iPod's, their new laptops, Apple TV... so polluted with DRM that they all suck.

They allowed themselves to be sucked into DRM by content providers. Now is the time to do an about face and tell the content providers to go to hell. Apple would sell much more hardware and more profits then what they currently make distributing content.

Things don't look good for Apple. I'm starting to think iTunes could be the slow death of Apple, unless they open it up.
  • Reply 14 of 136
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I was really hoping they (Apple) would go the other way with processors, not backwards. Lately all of these rumors of MacMini, iMac, etc updates have been false. For our sake, I hope this one is wrong as well for being used in a MacMini. Using it in a netbook or something is fine, but not in a consumer desktop computer. This would be a huge mistake and after waiting over 2yrs for an update, this would be extremely disappointing for a lot of users, me included.
  • Reply 15 of 136
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    AppleTV on Atom - possibly.

Mac mini on Atom - don't be daft!
  • Reply 16 of 136
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

... Apple TV Sucks! ... hated them ... Dead ... tell the content providers to go to hell. ... Things don't look good ... iTunes could be the slow death of Apple. ...

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?
  • Reply 17 of 136
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

The 3 people I know who bought an Apple TV all have the same thing to say... Apple TV Sucks!

2 bought a mac mini.

They hated them because they couldn't stream anything but quicktime media to them. They were not about to spend years converting all their media to quicktime/h264.

Apple could sell a hundred million of them tomorrow if they opened up the Apple TV to play other media.

Unfortunately, they wont, insisting on cramming their losing format down people's throat in a business where they only have 7-8% of market share.

Microsoft is going to release the exact same box, except it will be able to play divx, avi, wmv, and quicktime. Where will that leave the Mac Mini which almost everyone I know who has one is using it as a media box?

Dead is where.

Apple needs to drop all the DRM crap. iPod's, their new laptops, Apple TV... so polluted with DRM that they all suck.

They allowed themselves to be sucked into DRM by content providers. Now is the time to do an about face and tell the content providers to go to hell. Apple would sell much more hardware and more profits then what they currently make distributing content.

Things don't look good for Apple. I'm starting to think iTunes is the slow death of Apple.

The AppleTV may not be the best thing out there, and quite frankly I don't think there is a box out there that is.

Its easy to say Apple needs to drop DRM, but not so easy to implement it. Its not like Apple wants to use DRM, they're made to by the motion picture studios as far as movies go. Its probably the only way Apple is going to be able to sell video content on the iTunes Store. The iTunes Music Store is going all DRM Free very soon and you see how long it took for this to happen. The video, and TV show portion isn't going to be easy either. Its not as simple as just saying Apple needs to drop DRM. If it was, Apple would have done it ages ago. They have to know it effects some sales, but its a necessary evil to get everyone on board. However, this doesn't mean Apple shouldn't try to get DRM off other items on the store besides music.

iTunes is so far from dying its not funny. Its still far and away the best online music service out there. Apple sells TONS of TV shows, movies, audiobooks, etc everyday. Not to mention apps for your iPod Touch/iPhone. Just because you're disappointed with it, doesn't mean its crappy dying service.
  • Reply 18 of 136
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

2 bought a mac mini.

Dead is where.

Things don't look good for Apple. I'm starting to think iTunes could be the slow death of Apple, unless they open it up.

The Apple TV was never offered as the swiss army knife of media formats. It exists to reliably play back iTunes content. You can easily hack it to do more but iTunes content is its raison d'être. DRM is the inevitable solution to rampant stealing that people do in fact engage in. Without content you cannot sell hardware.

I wouldn't mind the Apple TV going to Atom as an interim solution but I'd love to see the next major upgrade move to ARM/PowerVR/VXD SoC
  • Reply 19 of 136
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

AppleTV on Atom - possibly.

Mac mini on Atom - don't be daft!

How about Mac Nano..?

It is not necessary update (or, er, downdate) of existing product; it could be new product all together.

Though netbook seems most logical for me. Well, that is new product for Mac anyway... there's a chance to "innovate" - I'm not aware of any netbook running Ion so far. It can also carry higher price due to better performance (even if Ion itself is not significantly more expensive than current Atom platform).

I was expecting Apple will offer netbook/tablet combo with convertible touch screen, unfortunately for them Asus just did it. Opportunity missed.
  • Reply 20 of 136
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, if it is an Ion platform, hmm, they make the Mac mini half the thickness, perhaps even less than an inch by using a 1.8" HDD. Imagine the external DVD for the MBA, and add half an inch to the bottom. You also lose half the ports.

Of course who in their right mind would buy such a computer?

Sad thing is, I can think of a few who would.

Look, if they want to say create a system for embedded platform that ran full Mac OS X (say Mac TV to replace AppleTV ), or a handled Mac (think hybrid tablet/netbook) then the Atom/Ion platform makes a lot of sense, then again neither would be a frontline computer.

As a replacement for the Mini this only makes sense if you're only goal is setting a Guinness book record for the smallest computer. If that's the case, then someone needs to put a leash on Ive.