Apple working on 15-inch MacBook Air, says blog

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

The HP? It has the same specs as every other netbook on the market (1.6Ghz Atom, Intel 950 Graphics, 1GB of RAM). What makes it remarkable is that it is markedly smaller than virtually every other 10" netbook and has a full sized keyboard. It does, however, use 1.8" drives to keep the size small. The one he bought at Circuit City has a 60GB 1.8" HD. The one at Best Buy has a 16GB SSD.

Now that you bought it, what did you actually get for your $400, hardware, dimensions, and software? You do have the spec sheet, don't you?

Keep in mind that a full size key board is about 10 and 5/8" wide.

Erratum: Sorry, it was "tqubed" who said that he bought the netbook. I was hoping to get the specs on it. As far as I can see, it is pretty bare and it really isn't recommended for anything but surfing, emailing, viewing and listening to music, as well as a rather light foray into text editing, etc. Not much hard drive space in the price range he quoted and not sure what OS he got. For sure it doesn't have a full size key board, because even the manufacturer acknowledges that it isn't.

P.S. As usual, the minute that one asks a civilized question, rarely do we get an answer. Could it be that is just a figment of somebody's imagination?
  • Reply 102 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Now that you bought it, what did you actually get for your $400, hardware, dimensions, and software? You do have the spec sheet, don't you?

Keep in mind that a full size key board is about 10 and 5/8" wide.

Erratum: Sorry, it was "tqubed" who said that he bought the netbook. I was hoping to get the specs on it. As far as I can see, it is pretty bare and it really isn't recommended for anything but surfing, emailing, viewing and listening to music, as well as a rather light foray into text editing, etc. Not much hard drive space in the price range he quoted and not sure what OS he got. For sure it doesn't have a full size key board, because even the manufacturer acknowledges that it isn't.

P.S. As usual, the minute that one asks a civilized question, rarely do we get an answer. Could it be that is just a figment of somebody's imagination?

I don't understand what you want to see on a spec sheet. Virtually every netbook out today has the same basic specs with the only differences being screen size and storage capacity. I actually have an MSI Wind (which was $350 with a 120GB HD) which also has a nearly full sized keyboard. I do not have small hands (I can palm a basketball), and I have no trouble typing on it for any length of time. The HP is even better because it has flat keys.

Anyway, here's where your argument falls apart: How many people do you think are still using G4 based iBooks and Powerbooks regularly? I certainly see them all over the place on campus and in coffee shops.

The Atom based netbooks actually benchmark slightly faster than the fastest G4s in OS X. The video card in them is the equal of the one in the Mac Mini. Anything you could do with a computer with a G4 processor you can do with a netbook. Given that one could still buy a G4 based iBook or Powerbook less than three years ago, you are getting semi-modern performance in a tiny package for less than the cost of a Time Capsule.

What's to hate?
  • Reply 103 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I don't understand what you want to see on a spec sheet. Virtually every netbook out today has the same basic specs with the only differences being screen size and storage capacity. I actually have an MSI Wind (which was $350 with a 120GB HD) which also has a nearly full sized keyboard. I do not have small hands (I can palm a basketball), and I have no trouble typing on it for any length of time. The HP is even better because it has flat keys.

Anyway, here's where your argument falls apart: How many people do you think are still using G4 based iBooks and Powerbooks regularly? I certainly see them all over the place on campus and in coffee shops.

The Atom based netbooks actually benchmark slightly faster than the fastest G4s in OS X. The video card in them is the equal of the one in the Mac Mini. Anything you could do with a computer with a G4 processor you can do with a netbook. Given that one could still buy a G4 based iBook or Powerbook less than three years ago, you are getting semi-modern performance in a tiny package for less than the cost of a Time Capsule.

What's to hate?

What the fk are you talking about. All I ask of the guy who said he bought one, what did he actually get for $400. Why the hell are you involved in this discussion anyway? You didn't buy it.