Apple working on 15-inch MacBook Air, says blog

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A Chinese-language blog with a debatable track record claims Apple is working on a 15-inch MacBook Air with more information to come in the "second half" of this year.

Translated from Chinese by Google Translate, the recentÂ*entryÂ*on Apple.pro said, "It is understood that Apple is producing more than the current MBA size MacBook Air (15-inch?)." Â*(Apple's current MacBook Air, of course, ships with a 13.3-inch display.)

"Core architecture will use Intel processors, the latest...from the current ultra-low voltage processor 'Core 2'," the report claims.Â* "[This will] make a stunning ultra-portable suitable for the older poor eyesight."

Apple.pro's track record in Apple rumors is mixed. Â*PhotosÂ*it posted in AugustÂ*billed as the new MacBook turned out to be false, whileÂ*its July photosÂ*of the new MacBook Pro turned out to be quite revealing of the actual product. Â*

Also turning out to be fake was a videoÂ*it claimedÂ*in October to be of the new aluminum MacBook. Â*On the other hand, despite the video, still images it posted of the same product that same month did turn out to be accurate (last item).

The site claims more information will be published in the future.

While there is a subset of Apple's customer base that would welcome a larger-screened MacBook Air, it is unclear if there would be enough overall demand to sustain such a product.

Apple does not provide breakdowns of notebook sales by model, but a quick glance at the Apple Store's Mac Top Sellers column lists the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac ahead of the fourth-place MacBook Air. Â*

It is unknown whether the average customer, for whom travel and portability are not major factors, would forgo the added performance of the 15-inch MacBook Pro in favor of a 15-inch MacBook Air. Â*

While such a product is possible, Apple's product line-up tends to very well-defined with a clear hierarchical difference between each model. Thus, it is difficult to judge where a 15-inch MacBook Air would fit in with the other portables, since the current 13.3-inch version trails behind as it is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    I have to question this report as it would have the potential to disrupt the portable lineup.

- If one needs a very portable laptop, opt for the MacBook Air.

- If one needs a consumer level laptop, opt for the MacBook.

- If one needs a larger screen than what's available in either the MB or MBA, opt for the MacBook Pro.

The addition of a 15-inch MBA would simply disrupt the advantage of both the larger screen and features of the MBP and could undermine the 13-inch MBA. I think the MBA as it exists today is a strategic product that is able to meet the ultra portable requirement. A 15-inch simply wouldn't make sense in my view.
  • Reply 2 of 104
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

I have to question this report as it would have the potential to disrupt the portable lineup.

Their reliability is questionable because it's not clear which pieces of information they publish come from their reliable sources and which do not. They've been just as wrong as they've been right.

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 104
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Their reliability is questionable because it's not clear which pieces of information they publish come from their reliable sources and which do not. They've been just as wrong as they've been right.

Best,

K

They post anything and everything that comes their way so they're bound to be right once in a while. I doubt this is one of those times.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Chinese-language blog with a debatable track record

I burst out laughing at this line - I love the Apple rumour lifecycle.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

- If one needs a very portable laptop, opt for the MacBook Air.

- If one needs a consumer level laptop, opt for the MacBook.

- If one needs a larger screen than what's available in either the MB or MBA, opt for the MacBook Pro.

The addition of a 15-inch MBA would simply disrupt the advantage of both the larger screen and features of the MBP and could undermine the 13-inch MBA. I think the MBA as it exists today is a strategic product that is able to meet the ultra portable requirement. A 15-inch simply wouldn't make sense in my view.

I'm a bit unsure whether this is true also, but since my partner is a MacBook Air user I know that many people's assumptions about who buys the MacBook Air and for what reason are often wrong.

A lot of people buy the MacBook Air because it's a cool laptop that simply meets their needs. As was pointed out by it's defenders when it arrived on the scene, the majority of people using a computer just use it to surf the web and write a few documents. The MacBook Air might be chosen by users for it's "portability" in the same way that any laptop is portable, but the same laptop with a 15" screen would be just as "portable" in that sense.

I don't get the feeling that the Air is chosen over other laptops because it is *more* portable (by reason of being a touch lighter and thinner). I think people in the market for a laptop simply look at the array of laptops before them and pick which one is "the coolest" and which suits their needs.

IMO the MacBook Air is not some freakish thing that only people with a strong need for portability would choose, it's just a laptop like any other with a set of features.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    I have an Air, new Macbook, and older Macbook Pros. If anything I wanted an Air because it was the smallest/lightest. They need to make a smaller Air. Smaller screen, maybe make the keyboard go all the way to the edge like they did to the 12" powerbook. Remove the screen bezel. My Air is practically the same size as my Macbook, just thinner.

I'm really thinking of getting a MSI Wind and making a hackintosh.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    The new 13" MBA is a lot faster than the original because of the new GPGPU nvda chip integration.

A new 15" MBA would be plenty fast and they'll hopefully use the extra volume to ship another 8 hr battery.

With an 8hr battery,

extra vivid (and HD proportioned) LG LED screen,

it would sell like hotcakes.

Game, Set, Match, Apple and Jobs.

Enjoy your rest and strong recovery, Mr Jobs.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm a bit unsure whether this is true also, but since my partner is a MacBook Air user I know that many people's assumptions about who buys the MacBook Air and for what reason are often wrong.

A lot of people buy the MacBook Air because it's a cool laptop that simply meets their needs. As was pointed out by it's defenders when it arrived on the scene, the majority of people using a computer just use it to surf the web and write a few documents. The MacBook Air might be chosen by users for it's "portability" in the same way that any laptop is portable, but the same laptop with a 15" screen would be just as "portable" in that sense.

I don't get the feeling that the Air is chosen over other laptops because it is *more* portable (by reason of being a touch lighter and thinner). I think people in the market for a laptop simply look at the array of laptops before them and pick which one is "the coolest" and which suits their needs.

IMO the MacBook Air is not some freakish thing that only people with a strong need for portability would choose, it's just a laptop like any other with a set of features.

All of which supports the idea is that this is a bogus rumour. If you want a 15" get the still very thin, light and lovely MBP. I am sure there is a market for an even thinner and sexier 15" MBA but that MUST be a small market indeed. Specially at the premium price the MBA commands. Unless we are all wrong and the Air is in fact Apple's best selling laptop! I am much more inclined to believe in a 10" MBA (read netbook - no idea about specs). Only a few weeks ago I thought the idea totally unlikely but given the recent obsession with the netbooks, and Amazon's sales figures it now seems like it may happen.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    I call false. There are many ideas that would be much more worthwhile of Apple's time then trying to sell a 15" Air. I mean, what's the point? Who is crying out for a 15" Air? As @amac4me points out, it doesn't fill any gaps in their product line, and as @Virgil-TB2 points out, many people choose the Air because it just works for them, not because it has a particular size screen.

Things I would like to see in 2009:

The rumoured 28" iMac - with a high enough resolution, it may even rid the need for the second monitor I use with my 24". Actually, that made me just think of something cool - they should release a super wide screen 28" (or higher) iMac - keep vertical size same as 24" and extend out the side only. Would make cinema aspect movies look awesome and allow Apps side by side. I would sooo buy that.

Mac nano (new Mac mini, but smaller with low power components)

Snow Leopard - I hope it doesn't get delayed like Leopard, but in saying that I'd rather it wasn't rushed.

New mouse - I HATE the mighty mouse and my Microsoft mouse is starting to double-click-when-single-clicking

Product (RED) iPhone - how cool would it be to have a red phone (and my 1st gen iPhone has been dropped too many times and it coming apart at the seams (though working fine still!))

Pro apps updates

Apple TV version 3.0 - with offical support for third party content providers and all the annoying little things fixed (i.e. widespread lack of subtitles, having to exit movie and go to settings just to change something trivial that should be possible via remote or quick pop up interface, a real standby mode, larger HDD, more screensavers, etc, etc, etc)

Apple Home Server - painless centralisation of common mac data across all macs in house, i.e. Contacts, Calendars, Music, Photos, Videos, Documents, Data backup, Software updates, etc. API for devs to offer their own sharing features in their apps...

Anything else innovative they wish to share
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Sounds like more speculation. I'd be more inclined to believe in an upscale Kindle-killer from Apple than this story.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tummy View Post

Been there, done that. Typing this in Safari 3.2.1 on 10.5.6 on my Wind at work. (They can make me use Windows for work stuff, but they can't force me to suffer it for personal use.)

The 13" Air isn't even an ultraportable (except maybe in Steve's mind), so I don't see how a 15" could be considered that.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    Even in their report they just GUESS a 15" dimension, and make no attempt to hide that:

"It is understood that Apple is producing more than the current MBA size MacBook Air (15-inch?)."

15-Inch, question mark? hahahahaha

As expensive as the MBA is, there is no WAY that they will introduce a MORE expensive version. It could be a smaller version of the MBA, but there is no way a 15" MBA is coming.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    A 15-inch MacBook Air makes no sense to me. Super thin or not, the larger form factor would be totally contrary to the MBA's sole reason for being. Now a MacBook Air with a smaller screen... That would really be interesting!
  • Reply 14 of 104
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    THAT IS THE WRONG WAY TO GO!

What is need is a much smaller MacBook Air to be LIGHTER. 300 to 400 g or so would be great.

And then, make it right: with TRUE VGA-out port for videoprojectors, Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet ports, besides two USB 2 ports at least.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

If you want a light hackinntosh, try this:

OQO model 2+

http://www.oqo.com

JUST 454 g - AWESOME!

Sony AIO P Series Lifestyle PC

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

635 g

Apple, are you listening? WE NEED THOUSANDS FOR OUR UNIVERSITY. The lighter, the better (more OQO than Sony).
  • Reply 16 of 104
    There may be some truth to this, although a refresh would come more as a cosmetic change and not necessarily a size change, IMO. As it stands now, the MBA is the only remaining "ugly duckling" amid Apple's lineup, so a glossy screen and black bezel are surely in the cards for the MBA in '09.

my $.02
  • Reply 17 of 104
    Quote:

Apple, are you listening? WE NEED THOUSANDS FOR OUR UNIVERSITY. The lighter, the better (more OQO than Sony).

Whether the rumour is true or not, what Apple should be producing is not a 15-inch Air but a 10-inch or 8-inch netbook akin to the Vaio P. It doesn't need to be lighter: it needs to be smaller.

The Air, beautiful though it is, is just an anorexic MBP. There's a huge gap in Apple's line up that needs filling with a netbook. It doesn't need to be fast (an Atom would suffice), it doesn't need powerful graphics, and it doesn't need an optical drive. It needs a small footprint (unlike the Air) and should fit into an overcoat pocket. It should cost around £500, but no more than £600.

If it had a touch-sensitive screen (ideally foldable to give tablet functionality, like the Intel Classmate Convertible), then all those Windows users who bought an iPhone or Touch would join the queue to buy one. If Apple made a device along these lines I think they would clean up the market niche in the same way that the iPod re-imagined and then defined the mp3 player. I'll bet there are prototypes in Cupertino; maybe Steve is reading this on one, with his feet up in front of a nice fire, chez Jobs.

I wait for my Mac netbook in the knowledge that when Apple do release their take on the device it will be the most beautiful and coveted object in the history of mobile computing, and will make everything else look ugly and obsolete.

Go on Apple - make an old man happy...
  • Reply 18 of 104
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    So they're saying they got intel on Apple making a second MBA with a different screen size? Or are they just saying "Apple makes more then the MBA", which is true anyway :-p

If they mean to say the first, and the 15inch is just their own random guess, I think it'd make more sense for them to make a 10 inch MBA, or 12 inch, since 12 will probably be JUST wide enough for a full size keyboard, which Jobs adores so much. Then again, Jobs isn't the man in charge anymore...
  • Reply 19 of 104
    Quote:

I have an Air, new Macbook, and older Macbook Pros. If anything I wanted an Air because it was the smallest/lightest. They need to make a smaller Air. Smaller screen, maybe make the keyboard go all the way to the edge like they did to the 12" powerbook. Remove the screen bezel. My Air is practically the same size as my Macbook, just thinner.

I think an 11" MBA makes more sense.

The MBA's major feature is portability going smaller would play to that strength.

Also as we saw recently, Acer's marketshare grew at 55% compared to Apple's 8% primarily due to NetBooks.

If Apple wanted to introduce OLED screens, smaller screens are much more affordable.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Apple aren't working on a 15" MacBook Air. They're dropping the optical drive from all their laptops. By next year, optical drives will be an optional extra and the "Air" model will be absorbed back into the MacBook line.