MacPro - All about the MacPro...!!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Oh wow, welcome to a million years ago.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Like the OP , I am also looking to upgrade from a G5 Quad. Wifes Powerbook G4 is being replaced this week with a new i7 15" Macbook Pro - I want (need!) to upgrade my tower!

Come on Apple, new MacPro's please...
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

Like the OP , I am also looking to upgrade from a G5 Quad. Wifes Powerbook G4 is being replaced this week with a new i7 15" Macbook Pro - I want (need!) to upgrade my tower!

Come on Apple, new MacPro's please...

The lack of Mac Pro chatter worries me about when the Mac Pro update will be released. Rumors now say by June. I'm hoping it will be much sooner. One would think there would be some leaks.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    They'll revise the Mac Pro line and find a way to work some black glass into the new case design, just you wait and see.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I hope they bring down the power consumption at idle. I've seen comments that it's around 160 W. That's way too high for my main computer which is on all day every day. It's fine for it to go higher if needed, but it really doesn't need to be that high at idle. So I'm considering an i7 27" instead, though I'd much prefer the drive bays and ECC memory of the Pro.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lightwaver67 View Post

No, no... I know that...

My fear is (and it's happened to me before) that because it's been SOOO LONG since they refreshed the entire product line, it is BOUND to happen sooner than later... and I will finally go purchase a $9k system with full-blown everything... only to have Apple announce the refresh in 4 months with spec's and technologies that would have been worth waiting for and for the same money.

You are well justified in my opinion as I expect a major redo of the internals. I'd look closely at the talk around LightPeak as an indicator of when we might see a new Mac Pro. In this regards I'm thinking between now and mid year. If we see LightPeak at all this year it is likely to be in an Apple product and the Mac Pro is the most likely place to introduce new technology.

The reality is the current Mac Pro is a really good machine and if not Lightpeak then all we will get is a speed bumped machine.

Quote:

If it were a year or two ago, I'd agree... but the current platform is getting VERY long-in-the-tooth and is ripe for changing.

That isn't really true, the next round of Intel server hardware is just coming on line. The reality is if you are thinking this way you are ahead of the ball game, especially if you want that major revision instead of a speed bumped machine.

Quote:

With the discussions of "GrandCentral" and CoreServices... the idea that the new OS will be able to take advantage of a new architecture is very promising.

The current Mac Pro serves those features very well as it is. Certainly far better than any other Apple machine.

Quote:

My purchase cycle is generally every 4-5 years... I don't want to be locked-into an antiquated architecture because I wasn't patient... know what I mean...?

In a sense yes I know, but you have to realize that todays hardware is light years ahead of the G5. However if the G5 is still working for you, waiting won't hurt.

Quote:

A refresh HAS to be coming soon... I mean the current enclosure and architecture has been around for a long-time now... they MUST be ready to unveil something...

I would expect the enclosure to remain the same. It is a pretty good design and a lot of Apples customers like knowing that they box remains the same thus fitting into wherever they are installed. We will likely get an XMac before we get a new Mac Pro case.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 43
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Quote:

We will likely get an XMac before we get a new Mac Pro case.

Dave

Heh. I doubt that. I'm expecting a meteor strike to take out planet Earth before the X-Mac hits. Let alone a Mac Pro makeover.

Mind you, the Macbook Pro design has been pretty static over the last few years. The Mac Pro design is pretty timeless.

Just give me that bloody X-Mac! *Self harming position.

Mind you...I'm quite happy with the core duo 2 iMac I have. Hmmm. Thinks.* Do I need an X-Mac after all? Maybe I'll just buy a 27-inch iMac quad next year...

Musing out loud.*

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightwaver67

No, no... I know that...

My fear is (and it's happened to me before) that because it's been SOOO LONG since they refreshed the entire product line, it is BOUND to happen sooner than later... and I will finally go purchase a $9k system with full-blown everything... only to have Apple announce the refresh in 4 months with spec's and technologies that would have been worth waiting for and for the same money.

If you're laying that kinda money out. Just wait until June (re: a potential Mac Pro update...) then buy the goddamn thing.

Trust me. Apple's desktops are over priced. But you'll have the best sex ever using them.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    bhartleybhartley Posts: 4member
    It's not the waiting that kills me... it's the not knowing absolutely anything part. It's almost like the forum is therapy for me just to voice these things. Hi everyone, I'm a mac addict, and my name is...

I'll never understand the business tactic of not hinting nothing at all to potential customers of what is around the corner... Cannot Apple just throw out a small bone on this? Maybe b/c we're all so "hungry" that would just make us kill for more? Almost not knowing makes me want to switch - cringe! Not computers, I'd still want to stay in this "abusive" relationship... but I almost folded on Aperture to Lightroom simply on loosing hope. I'd way sooner have Apple throw us a small bone just to let us know... be patient.

I will be one of the "ones" that complain if the newer versions are not substantially quicker simply b/c of the lack of contact. Especially software being the bottleneck it seems... being bloated... I'm really interested in the new 64 bit stuff now. I hope whatever comes out, though, is also combined with value.

Anyway.... I'm totally on board with this forum. I very much feel everyones frustration and especially interest in this. I also agree with pulling out the cashola for the new machines... especially since it seems the new iMac's are on par with the current Mac Pros aren't they? How embarrassing is that. The only design change I hope for is simply for more enviro friendly tweaks they can do. I'm sure it will still look great.

Thanks for listening. If nothing happens by the event in June, I'm going to need a group hug.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear bhartley & Friends

I know what you mean.

I had an upgraded Power Mac 7500 from back in '96 and wanted a new pro Mac desktop back in late '99. That was back when we were all waiting for a much faster PowerPC processor from Motorola and/or IBM.

When the "new" single-processor 733MHz Power Mac G4 was announced at Macworld San Francisco in January 2001, I was on the phone with Apple trying to buy one before the keynote ended. Then I had to wait until sometime in March before receiving it. That was the most powerful machine at the time.

That was back in the day when each new generation brought very substantial performance gains for graphics and photography folks.

I didn't replace that G4 until 2007, when I bought the dual 3GHz quad-core Mac Pro, my current machine.

The waiting does get frustrating, especially now that Apple seems to be more focused on the iGadgets than the heavy desktop iron.

I wish you luck and the most comfort possible during your wait. All I can offer is that your wait will be over one day.

--Jaddie
  • Reply 31 of 43
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhartley View Post

It's not the waiting that kills me... it's the not knowing absolutely anything part. It's almost like the forum is therapy for me just to voice these things. Hi everyone, I'm a mac addict, and my name is...

ditto
  • Reply 32 of 43
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Buy a Hackintosh off Craigslist, for half the cost.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    My Dual 2.3 died on me. Power shortcuts when powering the machine on. I'm using my ancient single 1.6 G5 now, showing its age.

Question, do you all think it'll be June/WWDC for an announcement? Don't really need 6 or 12 cores, maybe the current model is cheaper to get after a new model is introduced. Could care less for USB3 / LightPeak. Then again, Apple always has a way to surprise me an make me want the new model.

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Buy a Hackintosh off Craigslist, for half the cost.

Heh. I think that sums up the debate on the Mac Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhartley View Post

I'll never understand the business tactic of not hinting nothing at all to potential customers of what is around the corner... Cannot Apple just throw out a small bone on this? Maybe b/c we're all so "hungry" that would just make us kill for more?

Most computer companies have tons of models and letting you know something new is coming might delay a few people from buying, but generally there is probably another model people might buy instead. If Apple were to say "Yes we expect to have a new Mac Pro built around 4 Gulftown CPUs in the next 3 months", then Mac Pro sales would drop to zero except for emergency "must have them instantly" sales.

Gulftown server chips aren't due out till Q3, so we could possibly see a late June or July release if they are sticking to server versions. i7 980 6 core chips are still $1050 retail and I can't imagine the server versions will be any cheaper. This certainly won't do anything for lowering the price of the Mac Pro. Amusingly the i7 980 6-core is only $50 more expensive than the i7 975 quad-core.

If Apple has a goal of making the Mac Pro a more affordable option (which is unlikely, but hey ya never know), they could easily base it around dual i7 860 or 950 chips. I wonder if it would be possible for them to build a mobo with room for 4 cpus, quad-quad-core systems with hyper threading, 32 cores. My guess is that Intel has the chip limited in ways to prevent more than dual-cpu setups tho. I could see an XServe built around that quad-quad setup of new Gulftown server chips tho. That would be pretty ridiculous
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Most computer companies have tons of models and letting you know something new is coming might delay a few people from buying, but generally there is probably another model people might buy instead. If Apple were to say "Yes we expect to have a new Mac Pro built around 4 Gulftown CPUs in the next 3 months", then Mac Pro sales would drop to zero except for emergency "must have them instantly" sales.

Gulftown server chips aren't due out till Q3, so we could possibly see a late June or July release if they are sticking to server versions. i7 980 6 core chips are still $1050 retail and I can't imagine the server versions will be any cheaper. This certainly won't do anything for lowering the price of the Mac Pro. Amusingly the i7 980 6-core is only $50 more expensive than the i7 975 quad-core.

If Apple has a goal of making the Mac Pro a more affordable option (which is unlikely, but hey ya never know), they could easily base it around dual i7 860 or 950 chips. I wonder if it would be possible for them to build a mobo with room for 4 cpus, quad-quad-core systems with hyper threading, 32 cores. My guess is that Intel has the chip limited in ways to prevent more than dual-cpu setups tho. I could see an XServe built around that quad-quad setup of new Gulftown server chips tho. That would be pretty ridiculous

Well, considering Apple's increasing consumer focus, the Mac Pro's pricing is kind of ironic.

If they want to consign the Pro to oblivion, they're going the right way about it. 2000k for a tower with a quad cpu and a naff gpu is daylight robbery. A 'workstation' sticker and a sexy case are scant consolation.

Introduce 2 cheaper six core models with a decent gpu in the £1200-£1600 bracket for...er...non-millionaires and who knows...they could probably get a few more PC tower switchers and that would be well timed with Valve's stream move...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Shockwave!

AUTO CAD is coming back to the Mac!!!!!!!! First Valve's Steam and Half Life. Now this?

What the hell is going on?

What next, an affordable consumer tower?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

What next, an affordable consumer tower?

Lemon Bon Bon.

<bullhorn>Put down the crack and step away from the pipe Lemon</bullhorn>
  • Reply 39 of 43
    *Puts the pipe down slowly...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

My Dual 2.3 died on me. Power shortcuts when powering the machine on. I'm using my ancient single 1.6 G5 now, showing its age.

It is just a thought but a repair is a possibility. Honestly though it sounds like you want a new machine anyways.

Quote:

Question, do you all think it'll be June/WWDC for an announcement?

In the past Apple has released new machines a week or two ahead of WWDC. Most likely this is done to keep people focused on the theme of WWDC.

Quote:

Don't really need 6 or 12 cores, maybe the current model is cheaper to get after a new model is introduced.

Buying discounted is always a smart move. However don't sell core short or more specifically threads. I wouldn't reccomend any Mac these days without four threads in hardware and honestly eight would be the minimum for the expense of a Mac Pro. Apple is agressively moving in the direction of supporting those cores as are software vendors. You may not need them now or think that you need them but if you expect the machine to remain viable over the term of a few years then cores are a very good investment.

Quote:

Could care less for USB3 / LightPeak. Then again, Apple always has a way to surprise me an make me want the new model.

Cheers,

Phil

Of the two features LightPeak will be the most interesting as USB3 brings little to the table. You mat not need LightPeak itself but implementing LightPeak might lead to a radically different Mac Pro.

Right now I would have to say if you have a Mac that works then hold off until after WWDC. Maybe even until fall. I just have this feeling that we will see a transition to something far more interesting.

Dave