Apple rules out "iPhone nano," critically watching Mac netbook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

oh come on people, it's fairly obvious Apple are awaiting hardware developments before entering the netbook market. relax

With the "system on a chip" Pineview due in the second half of the year and the falling prices of SSDs, it would indeed be an interesting time for Apple to come out with a Pineview based netbook/travel companion with a "hybrid" drive system...a comparatively small SSD for the OS and such and a conventional HDD for data. MSI already has such a system, the Wind 115 and it makes the system more responsive and extends the battery life in many instances while leaving adequate storage space for downloading your digital pix and etc when traveling.

Something in the 10 to 11 inch widescreen size with 1280x800 resolution would be very sweet.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

I own a netbook (taht I confess, I tried to get OSX working on). It was a workable (yay, two-finger scroll) but unstable solution. I also spent on the higher side for a large disk, and the resulting laptop was overpriced.

The main problem, stability issues aside, was the completely shitty hardware software integration.

All in all, compared to my aluminum macbook, it's completely unusable.

Which one do you have? It works flawlessly on my MSI Wind. And comparing a $300 netbook to a $1500 Macbook is patently absurd.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

oh come on people, it's fairly obvious Apple are awaiting hardware developments before entering the netbook market. relax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

(snip)And comparing a $300 netbook to a $1500 Macbook is patently absurd.

Precisely!

The netbook/travel companion will not replace a full featured powerful laptop. They are not intended to...or even desired to do so. With a six cell battery, the current generation of netbooks are capable of 5+ hours of battery life.

For $350 to $500 people have much more modest expectations of the device.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    QUOTE: "We don't think people will be pleased with those products. It's a category we watch, we've got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they're happy with."

Apple needs to do market research. About 10% of the people I see at a library where I sometimes work have netbooks and every one that I'd talked with is delighted by what they have.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

QUOTE: "We don't think people will be pleased with those products. It's a category we watch, we've got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they're happy with."

Apple needs to do market research. About 10% of the people I see at a library where I sometimes work have netbooks and every one that I'd talked with is delighted by what they have.

Why not just release a more powerful iPhone and have two iPhones...a standard and an elite.

Then sell a netbook shell that you slide the iphone into that has a screen, keyboard, and extra battery? You could even have extra flash memory, ram, graphics card or secondary processor (not sure about the logistics of this and if you would just end up with a complete computer rather than a shell while trying to make it fast enough to not be anoying).

You could use the same apps that come on the iphone and iphone operating system...maybe even use the iphone as the touch pad. The iphone would handle the wifi or 3g connectivity...seems pretty easy to me.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Same canned responses they gave a year before the iPhone and Apple TV debuted.

The difference is the iPhone was revolutionary and AppleTV was again in the first part of the breed of set top boxes (although a flop even with the incredible sales last quarter).

Apple is chasing the puck these days.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I wonder what library you work at :/ Ten percent netbook use seems pretty high.

In Brooklyn, most people who use a computer in a library are using the library's computers. There are a few people with notebooks (mainly college students), but even near schools, it's something like 5% or less. I've never seen any netbook users.
  • Reply 48 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

I wonder what library you work at :/ Ten percent netbook use seems pretty high.

In Brooklyn, most people who use a computer in a library are using the library's computers. There are a few people with notebooks (mainly college students), but even near schools, it's something like 5% or less. I've never seen any netbook users.

Granted, I haven't been to a library in 20+ years but I attend 4 or 5 meetings a day and all of us have our laptops. If you need numbers or part of a presentation it's wanted now.

I would love to carry in a 1lb netbook and get the same information that I can synch with my notebook that has wifi access to our network.

I could lose the planner and still have my notebook (which is my main desktop computer) and get the best of both.

My company doesn't support iPhones and even with my 3G pulling up a spreadsheet is painfully slow and wouldn't cut it during a meeting.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Granted, I haven't been to a library in 20+ years but I attend 4 or 5 meetings a day and all of us have our laptops. If you need numbers or part of a presentation it's wanted now.

I would love to carry in a 1lb netbook and get the same information that I can synch with my notebook that has wifi access to our network.

I could lose the planner and still have my notebook (which is my main desktop computer) and get the best of both.

My company doesn't support iPhones and even with my 3G pulling up a spreadsheet is painfully slow and wouldn't cut it during a meeting.

I personally think the weight savings isn't worth putting up with a cramped keyboard. I'm a student so carrying around a typical 13 inch notebook isn't that big of a deal for me. A ultra slim notebook like a Macbook Air would be nice since it would lighten the load, but at the current price it's out of my budget, and SSDs will need come down in price more for the capacity to be decent.

I also don't buy the "if I lose it/if it gets stolen/if I break it, it's not a big deal" argument that some people bring up. People who think that way are typically more prone to lose their stuff. Losing/breaking my stuff is simply not an option, so I take better care of it.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In others, I really don't think iPhones can really replace what a netbook can do. The form factor is very different and fits different uses. Netbooks can operate regular desktop software without changes.

It would appear a lot of the cheaper ones use a flavour of Linux with a front-end for people who aren't used to using computers. So on that score, the low-end Netbooks are no more useful than having an iPhone or iPod touch.

Take my mum's - an Acer Aspire One. She uses it to browse the web, check and write emails, and at a push to listen to music and watch videos (although even that's not very easy). She can take it with her because it's light, even though she has back trouble.

I think most of these types will be buying either these cheap Netbooks or iPhones. But yes I guess the more fully-featured ones with Windows (or hacked for OS X) can be useful for people who have to use the train... Personally I don't have any need for such a device.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:

You can actually shave quite a bit of space off the current iphone without reducing the screen size. My guess is the next iphone will be angular, and maybe even move that button behind or to the side. Er actually i shall make a mockup, excuse the bodge i dont have time to polish it.

This design would tie in with some of the behind-the-screen technologies in recent patents .

You're forgetting that they can't even seem to find space for 2 memory chips in there because of the cell chip. That's why the iPod Touch has twice as much space on it. If they can't find room for a second chip in there, what makes you think they can just cut off all that space?

There is no way they can remove all that and expect it all to fit in there... just can't happen.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I suppose all the people who install OS X on their Netbooks (and some struggle to do so!) doesn't mean there is a market. I counted 5 people on the train this morning with netbooks with OS X installed! That's gotta mean something, right?

Ah well... so much for that idea. Hackers can keep their night jobs I guess. Gotta keep it fun for some folks.

What are the probabibilities of seeing 5 people on the train in one morning running a hackintosh netbook?
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

You're forgetting that they can't even seem to find space for 2 memory chips in there because of the cell chip. That's why the iPod Touch has twice as much space on it. If they can't find room for a second chip in there, what makes you think they can just cut off all that space?

There is no way they can remove all that and expect it all to fit in there... just can't happen.

I can only assume they would use their own chip design the size of which we do not know right now. Improvements in battery technologies progress daily also.

Either way the size of components in general are not getting any bigger, nor are they staying still. The only possible outcome is that they shrink, and IMO the eventual evolution of the iphone (using traditional non flexible screens) is what you see in the mockup.

It's a war between required screen area VS phone size. Apple has already determined the minimum required screen area, now the phone itself must shrink closer to the confines of that space.

Also, dropping the curves utilizes the space more efficiently, hence why I dropped the curves.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    I don't know what all Net Book users are like, but I see many users where I live (Budapest). They are almost always teenagers and are using them for checking Facebook and other social networking sites and for sending emails. That's it.

My mother is also looking to buy one as she wants a cheap PC that send emails. I live abroad and she simply wants a useable device for keeping in contact cheaply.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

I don't know what all Net Book users are like, but I see many users where I live (Budapest). They are almost always teenagers and are using them for checking Facebook and other social networking sites and for sending emails. That's it.

yup, that s why I believe that when the netbook arrives it will run the iphone os. With some simplified iLife apps. There would be a clear distinction then with Apples macbook range. The OS would obviously run more efficiently on the low power chips.
  • Reply 56 of 89
    Quote:

yup, that s why I believe that when the netbook arrives it will run the iphone os. With some simplified iLife apps. There would be a clear distinction then with Apples macbook range. The OS would obviously run more efficiently on the low power chips.

This would make sense to me, and would be a great way to get kids using Macs. When they are older and have left school and are earning, then they'll be more inclined to stick with Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Quote:

This would make sense to me, and would be a great way to get kids using Macs. When they are older and have left school and are earning, then they'll be more inclined to stick with Apple.

Apple Tv should go this direction as well. Apples traditional range should also be able to run 'iphone' apps in much the same way as they use Dashboard.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    Maybe the answer for Apple, if they want to produce 'high end' Net Books with decent sized keyboards and screens is to wait until flexible screen technology is more production friendly (in terms of costs).

I saw a Samsung guy showcase something like this a year or so ago. Not anything for production but amazingly good picture on a screen that opened like a scroll. Made me dribble
  • Reply 59 of 89
    Quote:

I saw a Samsung guy showcase something like this a year or so ago. Not anything for production but amazingly good picture on a screen that opened like a scroll. Made me dribble

Interesting, i do not recollect seeing this, do you have a link?
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:

Interesting, i do not recollect seeing this, do you have a link?

No, the guy is a business contact who showed me the screen in person - he was in Europe for a meet-and-greet and was talking to his execs about future tech. I wasn't allowed to take pics, needless to say.

The thought did cross me mind to cosh him and run off with it. LOL.