iPhone developer: App Store rewards "crap" apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A software engineer who wrote what he calls a "terrible" and "crap" app in less time than it typically takes to eat lunch has since watched it shoot to the top of Apple's App Store, where it's now generating over $200 an hour despite being a free download.

22-year-old High Gloss has worked on more than 20 other iPhone apps for an iPhone software developer.* After running out of ideas to make his own app, he looked through the Top 100 apps for inspiration.* (He uses a pseudonym to keep his personal efforts separate from his work with the aforementioned iPhone software developer).* In just 20 minutes, he wrote Sound Grenade (Free, App Store), which is currently listed third under the top free apps, in the wild card category of "Utilities".

Written in 20 minutes

"The goal of my app was to create a tool for people to annoy others," Gloss wrote in a blog entry at his website.* He set a one-hour time limit to write and upload it to Apple.* "The end product was Sound Grenade, which is a really terrible app, one button turns a sound on or off, period.* For 20 minutes' work, I thought it would be interesting to take the ride."

The app took off quickly on its first day.

"You can imagine my shock when I checked the App Store page on the first day to see 50 glowing reviews.* Two days later, another 50 reviews.* Five days later, Sound Grenade is in the top ten free apps almost everywhere in the world."

In an interview with AppleInsider, Gloss said Sound Grenade is the easiest app he's worked on yet, and he didn't put as much effort into it as he does his other work.* It simply plays a loud, high-pitched sound and shows an image.

"We're talking maybe 10 lines of code," he wrote.* "For example, rather than generating the [sine] wave programatically, I knew it would be quicker for me to just play a looping sound.* From a technical point of view, it's quite an embarrassing effort, but my goal was to do it in the hour, and I easily achieved this."

Young user base?

On Tuesday alone, the app was downloaded more than 100,000 times.* Although Apple does not release specific demographic information to developers, Gloss has reason to believe most of the user base for Sound Grenade is young.

"From reading a number of reviews, it seems fairly obvious that the majority of people are high school, college-aged people," he wrote.* "A lot of them mention wanting to play pranks on teachers (and) classmates."* He cautioned against drawing any authoritative conclusions as there are only 500 reviews compared to 200,000 total downloads.

The YouTube of software

Gloss said he's troubled by how popular "crap" can be on the App Store, calling it "a sad state of where the world seems to be at."* However, he still had high praise for the App Store concept.

"I really enjoy the App Store, I think it is amazing," the New Zealand-based programmer said.* "If you know what you're looking for, you can find an app and download it either paid or free in a very minimal amount of time from almost anywhere in the world."

"The problem for the 'quality' app developers is they want to make theatrical films, and they can only premiere them at the same place as everybody else in the world," he continued.* "Let's call it the YouTube of software."

So while some users may waste a few bucks on useless software, Gloss doesn't think that will turn people off to the App Store as a whole.* After all, even though not all of the content on YouTube is worth viewing, enough quality does remain to keep users coming back.

"There will be a few apps that people download that put them off [from] the idea of apps, but then there are apps that they'll hear about from friends, or see and spend the money on, and they will love them," he said.* "They'll enjoy using them, and it will make it worth it."

A quick and easy moneymaker

At first, Sound Grenade was completely free.* Once it entered the Top 50, High said he decided to switch to an ad-supported model.* Now, after processing a million ad requests in 24 hours, the app is generating upwards of $200 per hour in clickthrough revenue.* In order to keep the app popular, he is looking into a few strategies.

"I have an update I'm putting the finishing touches on that allows people to 'confess' what they're doing with it," he wrote.* "The idea is that adding some interactivity will get people coming back.* (I'm following the) standard method of getting users to open your app again and again.* Might work, might not."

Appealing to the lowest common denominator?

As a developer, High says he enjoys making software that he'd like to use, just like how he enjoys playing Beethoven or Mozart's music.* But sometimes, "it's good to earn some money" and "there is a time and place for everything."

In his blog entry, he expanded on that comparison:

"The App Store is not like any other software market we've ever seen.* If it could be compared to any other market, it's like the Billboard Charts for Music.* A good pop music producer can take someone with minimal talent, get them to sing some lyrics, and then run it through auto tune.* Bam.* Number one song.* That's all it takes with the App Store.* Do some market research, work out that most of the people that download free apps are immature and seriously uncool.* Then wrap an average idea that you think will appeal to immature and uncool people with some average graphics, and boom, top 10 app.* Like the pop market, it's hit or miss; sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't."

While Sound Grenade is self-admitted "crap", Gloss said he believes the App Store is a blessing for consumers.* He says he is simply taking advantage of the market by trying to give customers what the numbers prove they want.* As he tries to strike gold with another hit, he'll soon be releasing a private browser, decibel meter, and a angle measuring utility (as three separate apps) that are "not big on features, but they work, and they do what you'd expect and I think they look reasonable."

Regardless of the more extensively developed apps he might like to create, he knows he's leaving money on the table if he doesn't meet the demand for "crapware".* It's the same demand that has pushed apps like Sound Grenade to the top of the most downloaded lists.

"I've got to make apps to be in the game," Gloss said. "Every idea that I don't do, for being too rubbish or stupid, could have been in the top 100."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Obvious answer is a new section called 'crap apps'
  • Reply 2 of 61
  • Reply 3 of 61
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    That's why people like it, the developer/producer didn't overdo it, just a simple joke coming straight from the heart and people dig that kind of sincerity.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Well that says it all doesn't it ?

Good thing Apple doesn't follow that philosophy.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Apps that are free downloads from the App Store but then generate revenue through ads are a gray area in the Terms of Service, aren't they? I mean, Apple is doing a lot of work and not getting anything for it...
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Ultimately, "crap" is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    He may think it's crap, but a lot of people are getting something out of it aren't they? Probably a laugh. He is too hard on himself. But I know kiwis, they tend to be self-deprecating and blunt about it, but are some of the most genuine and likable people you will meet. Good job mate
  • Reply 8 of 61
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    What is this guy complaining about, this is how software in general is. Good that Apple is providing a platoform that all forms of apps can be downloaded from and not just what a bunch of snobs on the internet deem to be good software.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Obvious answer is a new section called 'crap apps'

Things like Sound Grenade are really toys. They may be poorly implemented, but they could improve over time, if there were sufficient interest (e.g. lots of downloads).

illumineX (my company) made a fun little toy at the suggestion of some of our customers, recently:

iFlinger

http://iflinger.com

This application is an arcade game and toy, which lets you throw a shoe at former President Bush. We plan to add cartoon caricatures of other public figures, too.

Unfortunately, you may never see it on the App Store. If it were rejected, the developer agreement would probably prevent me from telling you that.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    What? I've been using Windows at work for years- isn't that the ultimate "crap app"?
  • Reply 11 of 61
    There is a big market for different kinds of applications (not to state the obvious or anything), but the strategy for developers can't be "get rich quick" with overpriced applications. The difference between a couple $20 applications for a task and jailbreaking to get a better application for free that does both makes for a pretty high barrier. I can't think that many "general puropose" applications should cost over $4.99.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    First of all, just because it took 20 minutes does not mean that it's not worthy.

Sometimes the most simple solutions are the best.

Why reinvent the wheel by spawning sine waves, etc. when you can get the job done looping samples. Just because you're re-using something and doing it quickly does not mean that you can't use it creatively.

By imposing an hour limit on development, it was a blessing in disguise.... remember how Apple challenged programmers to come up with apps in 2 weeks, and they did.

By imposing limits, the creative drive in yourself takes over and MAKES things happen.

For example, I was very productive with making music when I had only 1 or 2 pieces of equipment. After getting lured in by the opportunities provided by the many new software synthesizers, I saw my productivity fall off sharply. I suspect there are similar analogies in programming--- just because you can do something a certain way doesn't mean you should.

the developer actually spent some time figuring out what people need.. and answered it exactly... NOW if more complicated software projects spent as high a ratio of attention-to-user-needs-per-minute-of-development as this developer did, I think the less crappy software would be more usable.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I guess I'm surprisingly at odds with most of the posts so far, but I've always been concerned that the app store would become a tsunami of crapware that made it impossible to find the quality apps. Seems to be coming true.

I think Apple needs to get a handle on this before it becomes unmanageable (if it hasn't already).

They have to really look at things like categorization, tagging, review currency, search, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Is there anyway to know how many people deleted it?

I mean I downloaded so far 1000's of apps but I only have 20 on my iPhone right now. Download, try, delete or keep.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Ultimately, "crap" is in the eye of the beholder.

Exactly.

There are some really really popular apps in the app store that I think are total crap to the point where it offends me they are even displayed, but the high sales of these things indicates that I am in a distinct minority with that opinion. This app (again IMO only), is not what I would call a "crap" app at all, even though I don't personally like it or want it, and again, the high sales of the thing belie the "crap" designation.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Aren't the CONSUMERS the ones rewarding apps like that? The app store just lists the ones that are downloaded often and get good reviews.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    On a quick check, there are 30 app results in a search for "fart".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Aren't the CONSUMERS the ones rewarding apps like that? The app store just lists the ones that are downloaded often and get good reviews.

The itunes store is very automated, so yes, it generally shows computed results, not necessarily what Apple wants to show you out of specific human / corporate recommendation.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Another thought:

If the developer really wanted to test whether a "crap" app would sell, the experiment is a failure because of the app he eventually chose to make. I mean this app has the word "grenade" in the title, and has a grenade for an icon. Even if it did nothing at all that's some serious marketing right there. He may have only spent an hour writing the code, but the choice to name it "grenade" and the effort to create the giant grenade icon are the main reasons it sells to teenagers.

A "real" crap app should have a boring plain icon and should basically do nothing at all but connect to a website or something to send you an advertisement. That would be a true test.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    ...it needs equally elegant furnishings. The dev is being a bit too harsh on himself and the whole entertainment category. Sometimes, all we need is some candy and the App Store is great for that. Plus, it has serious apps too! It's an amazing free-market, micro-economy...his so called crap apps are a great way to blow a little time while you wait for the wife/GF to shop or are in line for food/tickets, waiting for the train, etc.

Yes, I'd hate to see only mindless apps in the store, but that's not proving to be the case. Quality & Fun & Crap are all there, you just need to search a little more for it...just like anything in life.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

There is a big market for different kinds of applications (not to state the obvious or anything), but the strategy for developers can't be "get rich quick" with overpriced applications. The difference between a couple $20 applications for a task and jailbreaking to get a better application for free that does both makes for a pretty high barrier. I can't think that many "general puropose" applications should cost over $4.99.

So an app that on the desktop is $80 and does the same thing on an iPhone should be $5? Seriously...