Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard: Microsoft's comeback plan

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Nor see I. But I ask myself when Google will go against Spotlight integration in OSX.

One can install Google Desktop and use it in lieu of spotlight: it indexes your hard drive much like spotlight.

I use LaunchBar instead of Spotlight/Google Desktop.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post

...Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard introduces new things like Grand Central and OpenCL. All companies have an interest in making efficient use of multicore processors and this was spearheaded by IBM two years ago, when it urged (?funded) universities to devote time in researching this. These are significant changes and worthy of an upgrade price in my books.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    Quote:

Not only that but how can you complain there version of iPhoto is a free download. Its probably a download so they don't get sued for forcing users to have it. Plus how is it being free worse than Apple charging £69. I only want iPhoto but Apple don't sell it on its own and I aint paying £69 for what is actually not a huge amount of extra features.

iPhoto is included with any Mac that you buy, so saying you have to pay for it is a little bit of a lie. Apple does not force you to upgrade your iLife suite, so at no point do you ever have to pay for iPhoto if you don't want to. And if you can't see the differences in quality of finished product and overall ease of use between iPhoto (or iMovie, Garageband, etc.) compared to MS's competing programs, then you must be blind, because it is like night and day.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdawg View Post

You could be a little less bias in this article. Using your logic Snow Leopard should be called Leopard SP1.

It's OS 10.6 not a new operating sys. Apple just names them.

It been OS 10 since 2001. There just going to tighten up 10.5.6.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    Quote:

...Like 10.6 is the 7th version of OSX, 6.1 is the 7th version of Windows.

By the logic of considering 6.1 to be the seventh Windows version:

Windows 1 (1.0)

Windows 2 (2.0)

Windows 3 (3.1)

Windows 4 (3.11, which despite being "For Workgroups", shipped on plenty of consumer systems, including my own family's first PC)

Windows 5 (4.0/"95")

Windows 6 (4.10/"98")

Windows 7 (5.1/"XP")

Windows 8 (XP SP1)

Windows 9 (XP SP2)

Windows 10 (XP SP3)

Windows 11 (6.0/"Vista")

Windows 12 (Vista SP1)

Windows 13 (6.1/"7")

And that's leaving out a whoooooooole bunch, including all those NTs before they got merged into the consumer line in XP.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    Dear Mr. Ballmer,

I'm sorry to have to bother you but you really have me confused. Is Windows 7 really called windows 7 or is it Windows 6.1 (6+1=7? ) or is it Windows 7000.0 or is it Windows Vista SP2 or is it Mojave but no you told me it was really Vista. I just wish you would make up your mind and let me know what it really is.

You said it is the "best version of Windows ever" but that is what you told me about Vista before I bought that. Does that mean that I will be as frustrated using Windows 7 aka Windows 6.1 aka Windows 7000.0 aka Windows Vista SP2 aka Mojave as I was with Vista when I bought it? And I have to pay an upgrade fee to upgrade from Vista to 7 or whatever you call it? Why can't I just install Vista SP2 and have a real OS that works?

Will you please tell me what it is called so I can be clear when I call your support hotline for weeks getting my pc to run after installing this new version of windows.

Thank you

Dazed and confused

PS - is your name really Steve Ballmer or is it ....
  • Reply 67 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

By the logic of considering 6.1 to be the seventh Windows version:

Windows 1 (1.0)

Windows 2 (2.0)

Windows 3 (3.1)

Windows 4 (3.11, which despite being "For Workgroups", shipped on plenty of consumer systems, including my own family's first PC)

Windows 5 (4.0/"95")

Windows 6 (4.10/"98")

Windows 7 (5.1/"XP")

Windows 8 (XP SP1)

Windows 9 (XP SP2)

Windows 10 (XP SP3)

Windows 11 (6.0/"Vista")

Windows 12 (Vista SP1)

Windows 13 (6.1/"7")

And that's leaving out a whoooooooole bunch, including all those NTs before they got merged into the consumer line in XP.

I'm assuming you're just trying to be silly, but NT didn't get merged into the consumer version of Windows. It replaced it.

And if you're going to count every service pack, Snow Leopard would be more appropriately called something around OS XXXVI, would it not? Sorry, I might be underestimating the service packs but I'm too lazy to look up what the character for 50 is in Roman numerals.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I passed the article on to my son. After he read it, all he said was, "Well dad, the only time a 7 is better than a 10 is in golf."

So Windows 95 kicks a*ses then..?
  • Reply 69 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I'm assuming you're just trying to be silly, but NT didn't get merged into the consumer version of Windows. It replaced it.

And if you're going to count every service pack, Snow Leopard would be more appropriately called something around OS XXXVI, would it not? Sorry, I might be underestimating the service packs but I'm too lazy to look up what the character for 50 is in Roman numerals.

You assume correctly. And my bad on the history; I meant it more in the sense that the consumer and NT lines had been separate, and were then "ideologically" converged into one line, which indeed happened to involve chucking the non-NT stuff.

But anyway, the "big cat" names are specific to each 10.x.0 release. They don't try to be a surrogate version number like the "Windows 7" moniker. It's pretty clear, and well-understood, that each of them is an upgrade to the Mac OS 10 codebase (and set of ancillary apps, etc.) You could look at this particular revision of Windows (6.0-to-6.1), as well as the 9x releases (4.0-to-4.1), as being a somewhat similar idea to Apple's 10.x releases ? making a revision that still falls within the same major version number, but contains changes significant enough (by whoever's standards) to warrant release as a new product. If, say, Vista were Panther, 6.1 a.k.a. "7" would be Tiger.

Hope that clears up what I meant. I was just teasing TiAdiMundo about calling 6.1 the "seventh" version of Windows in order to justify MS' marketing, when such justification created a double standard when compared to all the other versions of Windows, which didn't receive artificially inflated version numbers despite having multiple releases within major versions. Cheers.
  • Reply 70 of 124
    If this site is going to bash microsoft atleast stop lying about microsofts procuts.

You can so launch pinend applications from the new taskbar. with firefox you just have to click on the firefox icon to launch it.

The article states you can only launch programs from the start menu which is just untrue.

also saying about touch. Bill gates said a while back about touch features and said tablet pc's would become big. Before apple even had the first iphone.

Come on what ever happened to arguing with actual facts?
  • Reply 71 of 124
    Quote:

It does open the thumnail previews where you can click the window you want to go. To open another instance, middle click or use the Jump List by right clicking.

If you don't like it (because you have to click twice sometimes) you can disable the grouping if icons. This will also give you the labels for each opened window like it was in Vista.

So left-clicking the icon brings up the thumbnail previews of that apps associated windows? Then you click on the thumbnail of the window you want?

Thanks again.
  • Reply 72 of 124
    xxxxxxxxxx
  • Reply 73 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

Oh dear.... I can see that backfiring.

Much as I have played with 7, it works fine and is not obtrusive.

That being said, I didn't find it much useful. Well, OK, I can see myself using half-screen "compare" feature once in a while, but hardly a feature to droll for.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgiovanni View Post

False. The new taskbar is both for launching and managing active windows. Glad to see he's even tried Windows 7 before writing the article...

Couple of falses there. While writing is OK, information presented is pretty poor. I was, for example, not aware that Apple is making their own video hardware which author claims, but what to make out of following statement: (quote) "In contrast, Apple itself builds all of the video hardware that can be used with Mac OS X...". I presume author is talking about web cams, not video cards etc... but even then, it is very unlikely that Apple is actually making them. They are probably carefully selecting manufacturer and, since they officially support limited selection of hardware, I'd expect they do thorough test of that hardware (and associated software) - something MS hardly can achieve... Nevertheless, that information is false. Heck, video hardware with Mac support can be purchased from other manufacturers; Logitech, for example, has at least one advanced web cam for Mac.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:

I absolutely agree with you about their marketing strategy behinde that name. But I do not see the nonsense. They have to give it a name and 7 as a name does make sense. Like 10.6 is the 7th version of OSX, 6.1 is the 7th version of Windows. I prefer this instead of a nother silly name like "Vista" or years as names.

And yes there is some confusion about how MS is counting the versions, as I said. But this all shouldn't be so important.

That is probably the best point so far. Many companies at some point change naming philosophy; Adobe products had plain numbers before they became CS, CS2... CorelDRAW was advancing numbers in name until version 12, but for version 13 they decided to go for X3, and follow up was X4 (they claimed people wouldn'tt like "unlucky" number 13 in product's name, and solution was smart - since X is Roman for 10, they changed naming while keeping it at the same time ).

What is important here is if 7 improves on Vista more than skin deep... or not. MS still claims final version will be leaner and will run on weaker hardware than vista is comfortable with (presumably netbooks). At this point, Vista is OK stability and performance wise on reasonable hardware (which, from my point of view, really is perfectly reasonable for nowadays standards), so if 7 manages to further reduce minimum hardware requirements while keeping good points Vista does have today, it should do OK.

I'm personally OK with Vista - my new incoming box will run Vista 64 - so I'm not too anxious to see 7... but for people who skipped Vista, I think 7 can repeat same success XP did have following Windows 2000.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeCoolDaddio View Post

You said it is the "best version of Windows ever" but that is what you told me about Vista before I bought that. Does that mean that I will be as frustrated using Windows 7 aka Windows 6.1 aka Windows 7000.0 aka Windows Vista SP2 aka Mojave as I was with Vista when I bought it? And I have to pay an upgrade fee to upgrade from Vista to 7 or whatever you call it? Why can't I just install Vista SP2 and have a real OS that works?

Not like Apple won't say that Snow Leopard is the best version of OSX ever and it'll be true, just like it will be true with Win7 I believe.

You can just install Vista SP2 and it'll be just fine. I used Vista for a long time and it was very solid since SP1. Now I'm using Win7 beta and it's much better as far as UI goes but I've got no problems with Vista. Everything runs just fine on it. Yes, Win7 is faster but I never felt Vista was too slow or anything.

Windows service packs (as well as OSX free updates) have always been bug fixes, not new features. XP SP2 is probably the only exception to this rule. Like Win7, you also have to buy Snow Leopard to get the latest features.

As for the article, it is indeed full of mistakes as others have pointed out. The taskbar can also be resized to a degree (I do wish it was as resizable as OSX's Dock) and its position can also be changed. The new Taskbar works quite nicely most of the time and the window preview feature is better than Dock's because Dock only shows the window name (though nobody probably switches windows that way).

I've really enjoyed using Win7 beta and will gladly buy it when it's released. I didn't buy a Macbook at this point because I felt that the hardware was lacking and OSX no longer gave me significant benefits over Win7. We'll have to see if Snow Leopard changes that.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdawg View Post

You could be a little less bias in this article. Using your logic Snow Leopard should be called Leopard SP1.

I could care less what people think and I hated vista, no high end drivers for my high end firewire drivers, plus it was slow, however, I was very anti-mac when the powerPC G5 was touted as faster than AMD Athlon and such at the time it was out. Intel and AMD ran circles around it, and AMD had a better chip, similar to PowerPC in that INTEL needed 1.0GHZ EXTRA over AMD just to equal what AMD had.

Intel duo core changed all that and the switch from Apple was a good thing. While I was tied to home with PC as a developer for Giga Studio, PC only and ACID for PC only, then Giga For Mac, which got canned anyway, I bought a mac and used macs at work all the time. Post.

The big difference this time though with Windows, is Win 7 is fast, it doesn't crash, it has a lot of cool features in the dock and for workflow (about time MS) but the biggest thing is, I.T. never upgraded to Windows 7 and from what I've seen with my beta, you can bet they will so this leave Apple in the, will the present it to enterprise? They still have trouble with PUSH with iPhone, so will SNOW deliver to enterprise? I know the new file structure is great and checks for errors from all areas and is said to be great. Let's hope they can as I predict I will be getting certified in OS Server and will be working on Leopard Snow in less than a few week. Still, IT will upgrade to Win 7 , thin gis, if a enterprise needs browse and word, they can do it with LINUX, or if they want a great experience and high end servers, provided PUSH and deployment is stellar, OS X is a great choice. The only thing Apple would have to worry about would be if Micro released one OS at one low $99 price, this would get them back in the game big time. If they charge all different prices, Apple could do very well.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 78 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't have to convince users to buy its operating system; that happens automatically when they purchase a new PC.

So you're saying that Apple's users don't automatically get the latest operating system when they purchase a new Mac?
  • Reply 79 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Warranted or not, Vista's name has been tarnished by ongoing bad press and instead trying to fix the broken image it is far easier to associate positive publicity to a new product. And so far Microsoft's strategy seems to work out, the Windows 7 beta is getting good reviews in print media as well as in the internet and blogosphere although it is still in said beta state. If Microsoft fixes the remaining bugs before release, and there is little indication that they won't, I assume that 7 will be a huge success.

As a fool who paid good money for a OEM install of Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on my laptop, I anxiously await the upgrade price of Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Yes, I use a Mac at work and at home, but still...

Snow Leopard looks good on paper. I want to see the actual side by side performance benchmarks with Leopard. Storage is cheap, productivity is more important in UI response, etc.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Not the most thorough of articles but what really cracks me is two things...

'After euphoria about the Surface kiosk table demo wore off, it became obvious that nobody would really want to trade their mouse or trackpad for the opportunity to keep an outstretched, fatigued, and oily hand on their screen. '--- Really? and what is the iphone trying to do, please do tell.

Also

'Actual new consumer-facing features in Windows 7 are slight enough for Microsoft to refer to "screen dimming" as significant new feature related to battery life. The Windows 7 website notes, "Bright idea: With a display that dims automatically, you get longer battery life" (below). This feature has been in Windows for at least fifteen years, so it appears the company is rather desperately scraping the barrel for features it can promote in its new operating system release.

'

Right, so Apple's 100 and so 'new features' list for OSx a couple of years ago (Print from a document! the mouse cursor moves!) was not the same exercise. If you want to write an honest review please do so. Admitting that A or B on Windows is a good idea will not cause Steve Jobs to send an army of trolls to kill you, it's ok. Just pointing out that Apple does it better, Apple does it better,makes Apple fans and users (myself included) look like idiots, sort of like 'ALL OR NOTHING' people. Funny, remember tha Apple is missing something, it has a bite (check the logo in your machine) it aint absolute. This guy has not used 7, it is obvious, we have it at work and some of the stuff he mentions is just plain off or just aiming to point out;MS is crap and is great.....and you want people to take you seriously...