Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    Quote:

I'm surprised that a third-party developer did not create a program that would function akin to an iTunes but supports all non-iPod players so can do the highly-integrated media management for a Creative, Samsung, SanDisk SANSA, Sony, etc. player like iTunes does with an iPod.

Microsoft tried and failed at this when they proposed their "Plays For Sure" program that allowed all mp3 players not named iPod to work "seamlessly" with Windows Media Player. We all know how that turned out (FAIL), but I would believe getting prolonged support for something like that from all the companies out there would be pretty difficult to do.

Quote:

The fact that the Zune is STILL Windows only can't be helping them either. Microsoft's head is stuck in the sand not realising that so many people are using Macs now, especially people who use mp3 players. Terrible thinking on Microsoft's part!

I'm not sure if this comment was sarcastic or not, and I guess I can see the point to a degree, but honestly, if someone is using a Mac, why in the world would they ever buy a Zune to begin with? They are the same price and even if the Zune were Mac compatible, there is no chance in hell integration would be nearly as seamless as an iPod would be. Even if you weren't as anti-MS as most Apple users are, it just would not make a whole lot of sense, especially now that the iTMS is DRM-free, there really are no drawbacks anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Frankly, it's irresponsible for MS to continue to throw money at the Zune, especially in light of their recent announced layoffs. They need to get back to their core competencies (is that an oxymoron in this context?) and fire Ballmer to pull them out of their funk.

I agree on the fire Ballmer front. 1st mass layoff is a definite FAILURE on Ballmer's part for a company that usually expands during recessions.
  • Reply 23 of 165
    I Like the Zune. I think the subscription model (Zune Pass) is great. I don?t mind paying fifteen bucks a month to download anything in the catalog. This is a great way to find music that you would never think to purchase. Hearing only a small snippet of a song on the iTunes store is not good enough. I want to download five albums from an artist and then decide later if I like them or not.

It would be nice to have a Mac version of the Zune software. Using Fusion to run Zune on my Mac is irritating, and there have been a number of technical difficulties. But I keep coming back to that subscription model and all the new music (most of it old) that I have found. The Zune Pass is what drives me to run Zune on my Mac. I am listening to a lot of great music.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I would hardley say the ipod is innovative anymore. Maybe in 2003 or 2004. It is 2009 though the ipod is still just an ipod. There are hundreds of music players that do the exact same thing and or more. Sales don't reflect quality. We all know that already. Sales reflect popularity. And now that itunes is DRM free. Well..

The iPod Touch isn't innovative??? It's been said it is a better mobile game system than the PSP or DS in hardware and capabilities.

I agree on all the rest though. Apple could have shoved the iPhone OS in the Nano but chose not to. The could have beefed-up the shuffles with more memory and maybe a form factor change. The classic is long in the tooth and could use a refresh if they are still planning on keeping a hard disk iPod in the mix.
  • Reply 25 of 165
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curtwilliams View Post

I Like the Zune. I think the subscription model (Zune Pass) is great. I don?t mind paying fifteen bucks a month to download anything in the catalog. This is a great way to find music that you would never think to purchase.

LOL yes and when Zune closes its store all your music is gone too. You realize that the music from this catalog is RENT, you don't own it. Zune is ok device, much of it came from the influence of iPod. If Microsoft though of a whole new revolutionary idea then they could of killed iPod, but Revolutionary is nowhere found in Micro$oft's Bible.
  • Reply 26 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOL yes and when Zune closes its store all your music is gone too. You realize that the music from this catalog is RENT, you don't own it. Zune is ok device, much of it came from the influence of iPod. If Microsoft though of a whole new revolutionary idea then they could of killed iPod, but Revolutionary is nowhere found in Micro$oft's Bible.

Yes, of course I know the music is rented. For me that is revolutionary. There is so much music out there. In iTunes it's hard to tell from a small snippet if I want to buy a song or an album. In Zune it's great to be able to try a bunch of stuff and just not worry about it. I really like the Zune service and have found a lot of great music I would not have found using iTunes.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    Quote:

Yes, of course I know the music is rented. For me that is revolutionary. There is so much music out there. In iTunes it's hard to tell from a small snippet if I want to buy a song or an album. In Zune it's great to be able to try a bunch of stuff and just not worry about it. I really like the Zune service and have found a lot of great music I would not have found using iTunes.

http://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/wal...tting-dow.html

can't remember if this is the main story i heard about, but the danger of rental music is that the provider might decide to abandon the service, shut down the servers and kiss goodbye to all that music you paid good money for
  • Reply 28 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Haha! I had a very similar conversation with a friend of mine, he then laughed at me for buying my music on iTunes.

I do agree however that its a good way to find new music. But then again, there are websites like Playlist.com, even MySpace, and YouTube, that are great places to discover new music. AND... they're free.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattRebs View Post

Haha! I had a very similar conversation with a friend of mine, he then laughed at me for buying my music on iTunes.

I do agree however that its a good way to find new music. But then again, there are websites like Playlist.com, even MySpace, and YouTube, that are great places to discover new music. AND... they're free.

Microsoft and Apple chose different model of business for the Zune and iPod, respectively. In Apple's model, you can listen to any samples of songs for 30 seconds each, but you can buy it for 0.99 if you want the entire song.

Microsoft's model is that you pay $15 per month for unlimited rights to download and listen to ANY song on 3 different computers and 3 different Zunes, as long as your subscription is current. Additionally, you get to keep 10 songs forever each month, even after the subscription ends. That 10 songs would cost you $10 dollars with iTunes anyway, so for $5 more, you get to listen to unlimited songs. Of course, this doesn't stop you from buying DRM-free from Amazon or other vendors if you desire.

Sure you can sample music from myspace or youtube, but the sound quality is pretty awful. And you can't really load these songs on your mp3 player anyway for a walk in the afternoon. The Zune's model might not work for anyone, but it works fine for those who just wants as much music as possible while getting to keep 10 songs (that you really like) at the end of each month.

Imagine you need 100 different trance and techno pieces for whatever occasion, but you don't want to keep them at the end of the occasion. For $15, you can download 100, 1000, 10000+ pieces without problem. With the iPod, you would spend $99+! Remember also that you get to keep 10 songs forever at the end of each month. Likewise, what if you're in the mood for some relaxation music? No problem, just download as many albums as you want.

Use whatever works for you, depending on your music taste.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

I would hardley say the ipod is innovative anymore. Maybe in 2003 or 2004. It is 2009 though the ipod is still just an ipod. There are hundreds of music players that do the exact same thing and or more. Sales don't reflect quality. We all know that already. Sales reflect popularity. And now that itunes is DRM free. Well..

So the iPod touch has no innovation?

The new nano has no innovation?
  • Reply 31 of 165
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Microsoft and Apple chose different model of business for the Zune and iPod, respectively. In Apple's model, you can listen to any samples of songs for 30 seconds each, but you can buy it for 0.99 if you want the entire song.

Microsoft's model is that you pay $15 per month for unlimited rights to download and listen to ANY song on 3 different computers and 3 different Zunes, as long as your subscription is current. Additionally, you get to keep 10 songs forever each month, even after the subscription ends. That 10 songs would cost you $10 dollars with iTunes anyway, so for $5 more, you get to listen to unlimited songs. Of course, this doesn't stop you from buying DRM-free from Amazon or other vendors if you desire.

Sure you can sample music from myspace or youtube, but the sound quality is pretty awful. And you can't really load these songs on your mp3 player anyway for a walk in the afternoon. The Zune's model might not work for anyone, but it works fine for those who just wants as much music as possible while getting to keep 10 songs (that you really like) at the end of each month.

Imagine you need 100 different trance and techno pieces for whatever occasion, but you don't want to keep them at the end of the occasion. For $15, you can download 100, 1000, 10000+ pieces without problem. With the iPod, you would spend $99+! Remember also that you get to keep 10 songs forever at the end of each month. Likewise, what if you're in the mood for some relaxation music? No problem, just download as many albums as you want.

Use whatever works for you, depending on your music taste.

If it is so great - why is it not working?

You are in the minority regarding renting music, the majority prefer to buy it.

That is clear if you look at the failed rental services.

Even MS and all their marketing money can't sell a player and a rental model.
  • Reply 32 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

If it is so great - why is it not working?

You are in the minority regarding renting music, the majority prefer to buy it.

That is clear if you look at the failed rental services.

Even MS and all their marketing money can't sell a player and a rental model.

You don't have to subscribe to the rental model, and purchase the music as normal similar to iTunes. I didn't say it's "so great" or better than the buy model, but it is a model that works well for listeners like me. Why the Zune isn't as successful as the iPod, and whether this success (or lack thereof) is due to the business model they chose, is beyond me. However, I think any one of these could be the reasons:

* The iPod was well established long before the Zune, so it becomes a social status icon

* A stigma that anything else besides the iPod is not well regarded

* Limited music selection compared to iTunes

* Dated hardware capabilities and accessories

* Microsoft failure to expand to other markets besides the US (don't know why)

* Microsoft failure to support OS X users (no idea why they haven't port the software)

Of course, would the Zune be more successful if Microsoft adopted the non-subscription model? If it's still not successful, then what does that say (or not say) about the rental model? If that's the case, maybe it's something else then.
  • Reply 33 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am surprised that iPod has only 71% of the market. I just don't see 29% of people listening to music on something other than an iPod. I teach in a community college and the students I see are virtually all using an iPod for music. At my gym over the last year or so I see the occasional portable CD player, one Zune, a couple of Walkmen, and the odd "other" once in a blue moon. Nowhere near a third of the market. Where are all these people not using iPods? Third world perhaps?

I expect the 30% who buy Zunes or similar rarely leave the house to be seen.

Zune, the hermits choice.
  • Reply 34 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I agree..Microsoft should just stop with the Zune. Its never in a million years going to catch the iPod. Even if they released a Zune Touch type device they will need something else thats an absolute killer product to go along side it (i.e. iTunes Store). Problem is, everyone is in the paradigm of buying iPods and media off the iTunes Store it will take something really significant to break the paradigm. The iPhone is starting to get in the same paradigm with the iTunes Apps Store. Once it really takes off...they will be hard to beat. Its just a matter of if they can take off like they did with the iPod. But they are 2 different markets where Apple has lots of stiff competition. So it won't as easy.

I agree accept for a couple things. Of course zune won't catch iPod sales. I have an iPod, though I hate the sound quality and the boring 2001 UI, it works. But 1 microsoft doesn't need to outsell apple in the mp3 market to be successful. It just needs to sell. And with the market the way it is now it's saferfor a person to spend money on something they know works. Also it would be unfair to the millions of zune owners for microsoft to just back out now and leave them with a fairly expensive device that won't be updated or supported. Whether sales are down or not they are still out selling many other mp3 companies and have customers that need them to keep supporting it.
  • Reply 35 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

So the iPod touch has no innovation?

The new nano has no innovation?

Lol it's just an iPod. Why is it new innovation? Have you been to an mp3 isle lately? There are mp3 players smaller than the nano that can do much more. More games, better ui, and smaller sleeker devices. The nano is just popular to people like you who care what other people think. Lol ok that was dumb but nah people like it because it is an apple product. It's not innovative in anyway it's just a smaller iPod just like past nanos.
  • Reply 36 of 165
    Quote:

I Like the Zune. I think the subscription model (Zune Pass) is great. I don?t mind paying fifteen bucks a month to download anything in the catalog. This is a great way to find music that you would never think to purchase. Hearing only a small snippet of a song on the iTunes store is not good enough. I want to download five albums from an artist and then decide later if I like them or not.

It would be nice to have a Mac version of the Zune software. Using Fusion to run Zune on my Mac is irritating, and there have been a number of technical difficulties. But I keep coming back to that subscription model and all the new music (most of it old) that I have found. The Zune Pass is what drives me to run Zune on my Mac. I am listening to a lot of great music.

Sorry, but if you feel like paying something per month to get a lot of music, at least try eMusic...DRM-free, a good number of downloads per month and very low prices...to use a rent model for music is to be masochistic...

Once the company is gone (which will happen very soon in the case of Zune, just like it did with the "Plays for Sure" crap), your music is in the virtual toilet.

MS IS DEAD.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Lol it's just an iPod. Why is it new innovation? Have you been to an mp3 isle lately? There are mp3 players smaller than the nano that can do much more. More games, better ui, and smaller sleeker devices. The nano is just popular to people like you who care what other people think. Lol ok that was dumb but nah people like it because it is an apple product. It's not innovative in anyway it's just a smaller iPod just like past nanos.

its the ipod itunes apple store cosmos it makes it simple for all, what you said has been said so many times and what i've said has also, so tell me the trail for success of the ipod, and then tell me the path for the zune.....MS kept shooting its clients every step of the way, how many times have the zune/ MS experience abandoned their user base???

MS is tired, and its a software company that when it does do a zune stabs its partners in the face.

they don't have customer service, innovation in its dna

it's dna is "good enough" well that's not working is it.

i have been MS free for years now, broadband, the "cloud", intel macs, os X has freed me and millions from the "just good enough"

most on these boards can figure out how to use and download music to a zune.......99.99% don't want to bother they want something simple and works almost "grandma proof" something i could get my mom and she can "get it"
  • Reply 38 of 165
    Quote:

http://www.spotify.com/en/
  • Reply 39 of 165
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    While it was absolutely clear from the beginning, that the Zune will fail, I am still a bit astonished here. When the current line of Zunes and iPods was introduced (almost simultaneously), the entire tech press went on and on about how MS has closed the gap, and has fairly competitive devices and improved software now. It is quite a bit hard to understand, how they completely failed to generate any gains out of this initially positive reception. I would have at least expected sales in the area of 2-3 millions.

On the other side... They are not really making any efforts to create more transparent offers and a more accessible ecosystem. With Apple it is one iTunes store for everything and pretty consistent pricing, irrespective of the target device. MS of course has to make things as difficult and confusing as somehow possible, see the MSN Mobile Music service for a good example (read this great piece of marketing, if you have not seen it yet: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/245859/q...rn-to-drm.html - simply stunning). So, if I want the same song on my Zune and my WinMob phone (nope, I have none), I have to buy twice and both will cease to work when MS finally closes the thing down (which is rather a matter of weeks than months)? While I am sorry for the people being laid off, MS does not deserve any better. They should really focus on their core business: sell companies virtual "software assurance" and "upgrade advantage" packages, and then hide for the next five years.
  • Reply 40 of 165
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

I agree accept for a couple things. Of course zune won't catch iPod sales. I have an iPod, though I hate the sound quality and the boring 2001 UI, it works. But 1 microsoft doesn't need to outsell apple in the mp3 market to be successful. It just needs to sell. And with the market the way it is now it's saferfor a person to spend money on something they know works. Also it would be unfair to the millions of zune owners for microsoft to just back out now and leave them with a fairly expensive device that won't be updated or supported. Whether sales are down or not they are still out selling many other mp3 companies and have customers that need them to keep supporting it.

Maybe, you should buy a new iPod?? Apparently that's the source of your confusion regarding iPod innovation- you're using a 2001 iPod and expecting it to "innovate" all by itself.

Because the UI for iPods was just changed completely in the past 4 months.

See? If you buy a new iPod, you can see what Apple's been doing since whenever you bought yours...