Two new trojan horses threaten Mac software pirates

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    Use Little Snitch, and you're good.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I have to say, the copy protection embedded in Adobe CS3 is doing-my-head-in at the moment.

I understand the need for Adobe to protect their intellectual property - and hence the need for some means of copy protection, but Adobes current implementation throws up too many barriers for legitimate, paying customers.

When it is easier for thieves to download and crack the software, than it is for legitimate users to manage their installations, then Adobe has a problem.

Even although I have purchased CS3, and have a valid serial number etc., currently it would be easier for me to install a cracked version, as I have reached the unpublished 'Deactivation Limit' which Adobe keeps hush.

I won't be buying CS4, because of the issues I have run into with activation/deactivation of CS3. I would happily pay for CS4, I don't have a problem with the price, but I do have a problem with not being able to use it as I see fit.

All you need to do is call Adobe and they will give you a new activation code. It took me 5 minutes. The help desk was very nice and I was able to put it on my new laptop with no problem.

Edit.

Your loss for not upgrading to CS4. Yes, it is expensive but well worth it if you are in the graphics or video industry.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

f you don't feel their product is worth it, then don't buy it.

Don't worry I didn't, nor could I; even if I wanted to.

I suppose that means I'll have to give up my dreams of learning enough to break into so-called 'graphic design industry.'
  • Reply 64 of 91
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    I know this isn't a "virus" and it also requires users to do something stupid, but here's another crack in the wall of "there are no malware infected Macs."
  • Reply 65 of 91
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

Use Little Snitch, and you're good.

That was the first thing I thought. Nobody with a machine hooked up to internet access should ever NOT have little snitch running. Not only does it stop every and all processes from "calling home", it tells you exactly who they are calling to.

Secondly, the torrent sites are really good at policing this stuff, and it's virtually always already dealt with and deleted before the news of its existence comes out. In the case of the iWork and CS4 cracks, not only have the offending files have already been purged, but instructions for easy removal of the trojan are all over the comments sections.

Also, not a single one of the Mac iWork or CS4 crack apps has ever approached even 1000 full downloads, let alone 20,000. I've never seen any Mac app get anywhere near 20,000. Intego is lying.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    First I wanted to comment on if its a Trojan or a Virus.

A Trojan generally is just a backdoor to let someone control your computer. A Virus is thought of something that self spreads, but generally modifies the computer to do so. Not all Virus (think back to the old Windows days if you can) uses outlook to email itself to the masses. In fact, before there was even widespread email it would just attach itself to other files in hopes you would spread them around. So while these have Trojan chacteristics especially in you installing it, it does potentially have viral implications as some have suggested it copies itself elsewhere.

I think obviously Pirates software has always had a virus/trojan threat, the real implication is the widespread (over 20,000) on a Mac and the possibility in the future of using similar technics to legitmate software (such as hack a server and adding the software) or pretending to be freeware and then eventually using a timebomb becoming a Trojan.

Additionally, you have had recent Safari exploits that could allow a trojan to attach itself to Safari (and not nessacarily anything needing root access) as these trojans basically have been used for DOS attacks, but keylogging Safari might work as well.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    Uh, Kaspar... why is this story here? Anyone who has paid for the software or downloaded it legally don't need to be "warned" about this trojan horse "threat". For the people who have downloaded these apps illicitly, I say tough luck, robbers.
  • Reply 68 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

They probably made it up, just like the other trojan and virus scares coming from an anti-virus software vendor.

Dumba$$es,

All you need to do is go to a torrent site to see how many seeders/leachers and most list how many downloads.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

That was the first thing I thought. Nobody with a machine hooked up to internet access should ever NOT have little snitch running. Not only does it stop every and all processes from "calling home", it tells you exactly who they are calling to.

Secondly, the torrent sites are really good at policing this stuff, and it's virtually always already dealt with and deleted before the news of its existence comes out. In the case of the iWork and CS4 cracks, not only have the offending files have already been purged, but instructions for easy removal of the trojan are all over the comments sections.

Also, not a single one of the Mac iWork or CS4 crack apps has ever approached even 1000 full downloads, let alone 20,000. I've never seen any Mac app get anywhere near 20,000. Intego is lying.

Little Snitch doesn't protect you from everything, unfortunately. A lot of app's can work around this. Two examples: Final Cut Pro and Adobe's Flexnet anti-piracy spyware.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Wellll, yesss....... but even Linux can be vulnerable to Trojans..... it requires some kind of 'user participation', but you can be just as at risk if you get fooled into installing it....

Someone earlier tried to say that virii, trojans, etc. were synonymous. Only true in that they all fall into the 'malware' category..... but the names as defined are pretty good differentiators.

Virus : malware that can infect a system without direct user involvement. Typically spreads/replicates itself to other systems. (Like a real virus... thus the name.)

Trojan : Concept derived from the famous "Trojan Horse" story. Typically embedded malware that looks like something else, but hides itself until it's 'inside the walls'. Usually requires some kind of direct user action. Not usually able to self-replicate, although Trojans can carry a virus as part of their package.

So far, the only active 'in the wild' OSX malware I've read about requires spoofing, trojans, or other 'social trickery' to overcome security safeguards.

Exploiting ignorance is a terrible weapon...

Funny, the first question that popped into my head when reading the post was, "Did Intego plant this thing??"..... it's almost too obvious, you know?

Thinking like that makes me some kind of crazy conspiracy theorist though, doesn't it.....

I think we can safely assume that not all malware is created by anti-virus companies. Do you think they're staging the DOS attacks, too?

Mac's are an open target, really, with the false sense of security and the rising number of idiot users. Look at how many people download the iWork software from untrusted sources when it's freely available from Apple's site. The anti-virus companies hardly need to plant anything when there are so many idiots providing an open door.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GWD2009 View Post

If case someone has this trogan installed here is how to remove it. I did not install iWork on my Macbook, but I was curious if I had anything on it so I ran this program and I also ran MacScan. Lo and behold, found nothing.

http://www.securemac.com/

or just download here:

http://macscan.securemac.com/files/i...emovalTool.dmg

SPAM much, buddy?
  • Reply 72 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I have to say, the copy protection embedded in Adobe CS3 is doing-my-head-in at the moment.

I understand the need for Adobe to protect their intellectual property - and hence the need for some means of copy protection, but Adobes current implementation throws up too many barriers for legitimate, paying customers.

When it is easier for thieves to download and crack the software, than it is for legitimate users to manage their installations, then Adobe has a problem.

Even although I have purchased CS3, and have a valid serial number etc., currently it would be easier for me to install a cracked version, as I have reached the unpublished 'Deactivation Limit' which Adobe keeps hush.

I won't be buying CS4, because of the issues I have run into with activation/deactivation of CS3. I would happily pay for CS4, I don't have a problem with the price, but I do have a problem with not being able to use it as I see fit.

I agree the Adobe activation scheme is a pain in the a$$. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't run into the errors it can cause which can only be healed by reinstalling your whole system (not even the Adobe Clean scripts can cure it).

That said, I love CS4 and it's worth every penny to me and I've never ever heard anything about a deactivation limit. There's a limit to how many machines you can activate (two at a time, I think, as long as they're not running at the same time, blah, blah) but I've re-activated many many times in the past because I work on several machines and I've never hit a limit.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Kiddies. They just want their machine loaded full of software that they won't ever learn how to use. They look at it as free money. Some people just can't resist the temptation to get something for nothing.

Hahaha, it's so true! There are so many idiots around that just love being able to say they have every imaginable app, though they lack any of the skills needed to use most of it.

In addition, a lot of kiddies these days have an immense sense of entitlement. Ever try to sell something on Kijiji? These same people will berate you because you're asking for money (god forbid) and not just giving it away for free. Because they can't afford it, you see. But they deserve it!
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Stealing is stealing no matter how much you try to justify or rationalize it.

Have a nice life. Karma can be a nasty thing.

These topics always bring out the holier-than-thou crowd. Jaysus...
  • Reply 75 of 91
    It is easy to be smug that people who download pirated software are getting a trojan. Well-deserved, we might say. But this trojan is being used to launch denial of service attacks against other web sites. You download this pirated software and your computer is being turned into a weapon to attack an innocent third party! That is inexcusable. I really do not care what you do to your own computer. But when your selfish and illegal acts hurt others, then you should be prosecuted. There is no excuse for software piracy.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post

It is easy to be smug that people who download pirated software are getting a trojan. Well-deserved, we might say. But this trojan is being used to launch denial of service attacks against other web sites. You download this pirated software and your computer is being turned into a weapon to attack an innocent third party! That is inexcusable. I really do not care what you do to your own computer. But when your selfish and illegal acts hurt others, then you should be prosecuted. There is no excuse for software piracy.

+1 on all counts
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Wouldn't a program like Little Snitch alert you if a trojan was using your computer to launch a DoS attack? Or NetBarrier? Or is what they offer just smoke and mirrors?

LOL. I was trying to add the above emoticon, but my Firefox NoScript was denying the javascript. You just don't know who to trust these days.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am surprised the figures are so high (20,000). For some reason I thought piracy was less common on the Mac.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    I am so sick and tired of these snake oil salesmen trying to sell us antivirus products for the Mac. Antivirus wouldn't help against these exploits anyway. And so although I appreciate Intego bringing the matter to our attention I definitely do not like the way they try to sell us antivirus. And I don't like this Raba at Secure Mac trying to do it either.

The remedy for both these trojans is so very simple. It's a number of Terminal commands. It's downright easy. And here's a file that gives you the commands you need and more. It's so very simple.

http://rixstep.com/2/20090126,00.shtml

Yet now we see Secure Mac have this megabyte download they want us to try to check for these two trojans. What happens with the third one? Are they going to make another brain-dead application for us to download?

Either run the commands from Terminal or use CLIX and then watch it with installers and anything that asks for your password. It's so very simple.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Honestly, they get what is coming to them.

But so do we. Because Microsoft and all their friends will spin this.