AT&T talking with Apple about 3G-ready MacBooks?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I doubt that this will happen. Apple will not dilute the premium position that have developed over the years. Strategically, this wouldn't make sense in my view.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

(Remember how much grief they got for using EDGE on the original iPhone?)

Uh, yeah. Don't you think that has some impact on your argument that Apple refuses to use last year's technology? 3G is and will remain the sole method of getting high speed internet on the road for more than a year. It is NOT an out of date, dead end technology. It will continue to provide great speeds for users three years from now just as it does now. For those who are willing to pay up for much faster speeds, I'm sure a new laptop in three years won't be the end of the world.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    ... Expresscard 34 slot? Presumably, mostly business users would want to use this, and most of them would spring for a MBP, wouldn't they? The MBA should have a WWAN card built in.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

I doubt that this will happen. Apple will not dilute the premium position that have developed over the years. Strategically, this wouldn't make sense in my view.

That statement might make sense if you explain it. I don't see how adding wireless connectivity would dilute this "premium position", the opposite for some people, if you can use the internet on the notebook just about anywhere without having to worry about whether there is an open & unlocked hotspot nearby.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

The only interesting thing I find about this article is that Apple is only in talks with AT&T. PC Laptops/Netbooks are normally given an option of multiple carriers.

I didn't see anywhere that Apple wasn't talking to other carriers. And Verizon did just make itself a little more interesting with the acquisition of Alltel.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

Don't do it Apple. ATT has a long way to go to catch up with Verizon service that's why I don't have an iPhone yet.

I had Verizon for 10 years and switched to the iPhone last year. Although Verizon has great customer service, I had a lot of problems with reception and dropped calls over the years. I have not had any reception problems or dropped calls since I got the iPhone. I absolutely love it! Of course, the technology is second to none too. I did not even bother to look at the Storm. Cheers!
  • Reply 27 of 51
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    In the name of all that's holy, I sure hope this doesn't happen. AT&T couldn't even handle iPhone 3G traffic without its network damn near collapsing. Start adding devices that use a lot more bandwidth and we're talking meltdown. Even Xohm would be better, as limited as their coverage is.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This isn't really true. But what does it matter when Macs are outselling the general PC market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's supposed to be a joke, right?

Nearly everything Apple sells is out of date by the time it hits the shelf, and certainly way out of date by the time Apple gets around to updating the line again.

• Reply 29 of 51
    Wow. Apple is considering something that I suggested to them SIX years ago. I know they aren't stealing my idea. The management guy I told did not even understand it.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    To be fair, no other network has a phone that uses near as much data as the iPhone. So we don't really know if others would have trouble with the over load.

Also AT&T has been spending hundreds of millions to update it's network. Things are much better than when the 3G was first launched.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

In the name of all that's holy, I sure hope this doesn't happen. AT&T couldn't even handle iPhone 3G traffic without its network damn near collapsing. Start adding devices that use a lot more bandwidth and we're talking meltdown. Even Xohm would be better, as limited as their coverage is.

• Reply 31 of 51
    This is stupid! Every single notebook is 3G ready! You just need a USB port to connect a 3G dongle that provides 3G connectivity like it's being done for quite some time here in Portugal. The carriers sell the dongles with a sim card and you just need to pop it up on the laptop and you're in the internet. Of course you must pay the associated fees :-P
  • Reply 32 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Apple won't even expand it's regular lineup of computers (even though they now have high enough volume sales there is no reason to continue with their limited matrix of offerings). I have a hard time seeing them making a custom MacBook just for ATT, and an even harder time seeing how enough people would be willing to tie a $1000 computer to a particular carrier.

I could see them integrating 3G antennas that would support any 3G service and have an internal slot for a card from the carrier of your choice (is there such a thing?). Sort of like the current ExpressCard or PCCard slot cards but without an antenna sticking out of the card (it would be integrated into the MB's case design).

Go Back to the Sculley days and look at the insain zoo of products, the 15 models that all did about the same thing with really similar specs nearly killed ther company, Steve killed most models when he got back to apple, that and the imaqc pretty much saved the company.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

GROSS!!!!!

A LAPTOP TIED TO AT&T!!!!!!

I definitely agree!!! I don't have an iphone because AT&T stinks. Now rumors say they want to take the choice away form a netbook as well???
  • Reply 34 of 51
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This isn't really true. But what does it matter when Macs are outselling the general PC market.

Really? Growth is great, but 9 out of every 10 computers sold is still not a Mac. And that's largely because 75% of computers sold have "price/performance" as one of the most important metrics.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    I could see Apple putting an LTE 4G/3G chip in new macbooks, and maybe set up a partnership if ATT wanted to subsidize them.

But there's no way they'd do carrier exclusivity.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Really? Growth is great, but 9 out of every 10 computers sold is still not a Mac. And that's largely because 75% of computers sold have "price/performance" as one of the most important metrics.

? Mac growth is very string compared to the industry average.

? Why mention that all the other OEMs combined outsell Apple 9 to 1 as if all the other vendors are in league together? Apple has 10% of the US market in unit sales, which is damn good for a company that doesn't sell loss leader products. The highest US OEM only has 25% of the market, but you don't say they are being outsold by 4 to 1.

? Most computers compete on price and superfical performance specs. Actual performance and usability is quite different.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

I could see Apple putting an LTE 4G/3G chip in new macbooks, and maybe set up a partnership if ATT wanted to subsidize them.

But there's no way they'd do carrier exclusivity.

I don't understand this talk about LTE when UMTS can be developed so much more than it is now. We don't even have HSUPA and we are to expect all that investing into UMTS to be dropped so soon? I don't get it.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

To be fair, no other network has a phone that uses near as much data as the iPhone. So we don't really know if others would have trouble with the over load.

Services like Xohm aren't cell networks, so you shouldn't compare them directly. They're designed from the ground up to be wireless broadband for computers, so they're much less likely to be overloaded.

Quote:

Also AT&T has been spending hundreds of millions to update it's network. Things are much better than when the 3G was first launched.

Sorry, I don't buy that. That's just their PR. Notice AI's article on the latest lawsuit about the poor 3G performance. And that's just running iPhones with their limited capabilities. Imagine how bad performance would be if you introduced devices onto the network that use much more bandwidth and can use a lot more websites. More Hulu usage, more Flash and Silverlight, etc.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    I remember reading somewhere that Apple was in no rush to adopt internal mobile broadband because it would limit service choice.

I'm looking at LTE because the technology will offer a choice of different carriers. But its of course difficult to know what Apple will do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't understand this talk about LTE when UMTS can be developed so much more than it is now. We don't even have HSUPA and we are to expect all that investing into UMTS to be dropped so soon? I don't get it.

• Reply 40 of 51
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Sorry, I don't buy that. That's just their PR. Notice AI's article on the latest lawsuit about the poor 3G performance.

That doesn't mean they haven't upgraded their networks. Lawsuits are slow. It does mean that AT&T's 3G network was upgraded from pathetic to mediocre. They're getting lots and lots of new customers. It is not in their interest to disappoint them.

Not that it will ever happen, but I'd like to see Apple become a reseller. You'd buy your choice of cellular plan through iTunes, buy your laptop, and go. Behind the scenes, Apple would have negotiated with every cellular network so that the laptop could hop onto whichever network had the best coverage in that particular area at that particular time without roaming. The minutes spent and bandwidth used per network would be counted against the total minutes and bandwidth you purchased per month in iTunes. While I'm smoking some really good stuff, this would extend overseas.