Apple warns of reduced iMac availability in near term

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I have never understood why people dislike the chin. I love the chin! I think it makes the iMac look distinguished, to say nothing of the fact that it's really good for post-its.

Thank you Romy- or is it Michelle?
  • Reply 42 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

The Mac Pro is just a floating Ghost Ship now with no crew so you might as well make the iMac the pro machine.

I don't know how long ago I last posted, but this has to be the quote of the day
  • Reply 43 of 153
    Introduce the new iMac during the SuperBowl - the 25th anniversary of the MAC!!!!!!
  • Reply 44 of 153
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    A complete desktop update is needed:

- iMac last updated April 2008

- Mac Pro last updated January 2008

- Mac mini last updated August 2007
  • Reply 45 of 153
    Last time apple warned of dwindling macbook supply was 2.5 months before they released the new ones. If they follow the same pattern this time (which I assume they will), we should get new iMacs around April 14. That also makes sense, it's a Tuesday...

I'm hoping for sooner, however, so that new iMac sales can be recorded this quarter.
  • Reply 46 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Introduce the new iMac during the SuperBowl - the 25th anniversary of the MAC!!!!!!

What a stunningly brilliant and original idea, shame its been talked about for about the last year AND that Steve doesn't do nostalgia.

Other than that, wow, you are on fire!
  • Reply 47 of 153
    Last time apple warned of dwindling macbook supply was 2.5 months before they released the new ones. If they follow the same pattern this time (which I assume they will), we should get new iMacs around April 14. That also makes sense, it's a Tuesday...

I'm hoping for sooner, however, so that new iMac sales can be recorded this quarter.
  • Reply 48 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

What a stunningly brilliant and original idea, shame its been talked about for about the last year AND that Steve doesn't do nostalgia.

Other than that, wow, you are on fire!

Steve doesn't do anything- he's on leave.

I never portended it to be brilliant nor original.

And what do you bring to the table besides rotten eggs?
  • Reply 49 of 153
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

blah, blah, blah, headless Mac, etc. blah, blah .....

While it's likely that Jobs might bring back the cube form factor simply because he hates to lose *anything* ... the argument for a headless Mac in a slightly cheaper price range than the current flagship iMac is just stupid IMO.

It seems to me that it actually presupposes that Apple will at the same time discontinue the iMac (their flagship product that sells like hotcakes), because otherwise your headless wonder would eat it's dinner. Such a product would also probably destroy the market success the mini currently enjoys or at best require turning the mini into just a cheaper version of the same headless product.

Congratulations! You have just suggested replacing Apple's entire desktop line with Dells.

• Reply 50 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Congratulations! You have just suggested replacing Apple's entire desktop line with Dells.

The current iMac couldn't look any more "Dell-ish"
  • Reply 51 of 153
    gcsgcs Posts: 29member
    Take these for what there worth - definitely worth the read.

iMac Rumor

http://macosrumors.com/2009/01/30/up...-new/#more-540

MacPro Rumor

http://macosrumors.com/2009/01/28/im...erge/#more-520
  • Reply 52 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'd trade thickness for getting rid of the chin. I don't for a second understand the obsession with making a desktop computer thin. How many people look at their displays from the side? That's right zero. If you lose the chin then even a thicker machine would be the same weight and same total amount of material. Probably the only thing that would change is the shipping box would have to be a bit bigger. All that extra engineering to fit and cool components in a tiny space just to save a few trees hardly seems worth it.

Is this a joke? You could keep going, you know:

"I'd trade looks for usability any day. I don't for a second understand Apple's obsession with design. A computer is a tool, not a pretty sculpture. Shoot, I can build my own PC out of cheap mail order parts at 1/4 the price. And who cares what the OS looks like? I can do the same stuff with Linux for free. I'm working, not looking at a stupid painting."

(Of course, with someone like you at the helm, we would never have had Apple in the first place.)
  • Reply 53 of 153
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GCS View Post

Take these for what there worth - definitely worth the read.

iMac Rumor

http://macosrumors.com/2009/01/30/up...-new/#more-540

MacPro Rumor

http://macosrumors.com/2009/01/28/im...erge/#more-520

Uggh why won't they just die?
  • Reply 54 of 153
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm eager to see new iMacs. My minimum requirements are: IPS display (like the current 24"), quad core processor, OpenCL compatible graphics (minimum 9600), FireWire 800 port(s), ability to upgrade the hard drive myself.

My parents are waiting for the new Mac mini. They've been making do with a 533MHz G4 since their iMac died and ask me every time we talk if Apple has released the new model yet.

You're never going to get a user replaceable hard drive in an all-in-one computer, so, by all means, keep dreaming.

In any case, I already have the current top iMac, so I'm more interested in the new Mac Minis (if they are still to be) than anything else.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwervel16 View Post

Is this a joke? You could keep going, you know:

"I'd trade looks for usability any day. I don't for a second understand Apple's obsession with design. A computer is a tool, not a pretty sculpture. Shoot, I can build my own PC out of cheap mail order parts at 1/4 the price. And who cares what the OS looks like? I can do the same stuff with Linux for free. I'm working, not looking at a stupid painting."

(Of course, with someone like you at the helm, we would never have had Apple in the first place.)

The real joke is that Jobs panned the current iMac's form factor when he introduced the Sunflower iMac. After Apple discontinued the sunflower and brought in the chin, there had never been more "WTF?" reactions. Although improved significantly in the aluminum iteration, the iMac design is exactly as dull and stupid as Steve said it was seven years ago.
  • Reply 56 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bring it!!

And while your at it- please add to it

1.) Blu-ray drive

2.) MAtte option

3.) 30" Display

3.) New mouse- flat touch pad.

4.) A unified color scheme with no screen border and no chin.

My name is Lisa Chin and I am very offended.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Uggh why won't they just die?

those are no worse than anyone elses speculation, whats you're point?
  • Reply 58 of 153
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

While it's likely that Jobs might bring back the cube form factor simply because he hates to lose *anything* ... the argument for a headless Mac in a slightly cheaper price range than the current flagship iMac is just stupid IMO.

It seems to me that it actually presupposes that Apple will at the same time discontinue the iMac (their flagship product that sells like hotcakes), because otherwise your headless wonder would eat it's dinner. Such a product would also probably destroy the market success the mini currently enjoys or at best require turning the mini into just a cheaper version of the same headless product.

What I'd like to see to the disappointment of others is:

A Core 2 Duo Extreme Mac Cube with a standard PCI-e slot in it as a replacement to the MacMini. Problem is, I think it would be hard for Apple to make a decent Mac Cube without charging like $999 for it. So at $999 and there being no more MacMini it would make Apple's cheapest Mac $999, which isn't great in this economy. If they could make one for $799 and $899 or $999 that would be great. Of course we all know this won't happen...but one could hope.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

those are no worse than anyone elses speculation, whats you're point?

Actually sites like 9to5 actually have rumors and speculation with a shred of credibility. I just simply refuse to support macosrumors.com made up information.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Actually sites like 9to5 actually have rumors and speculation with a shred of credibility. I just simply refuse to support macosrumors.com made up information.

macosrumors? I thought they were dead. Every time I go to their website, its dead. The whole site is down.

Their rumors are almost never true. Or they pull a macrumors and just report what everyone else is reporting and claim they were right.

Most of the time though, they're a struggling website.