File sharing finally comes to MobileMe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    I tested the new feature. I send small files via regular e-mail embedded as an attachment. But the process of sending larger files via iDISC is a little bit more intensive for some of my clients.

I found this service to be a lot more intuitive for my clients to review their work verses referring to my iDisc site, search the files and then open the files. I usually have to do a little handholding when I send them something.

Only things I noted on this new service from Mobileme were:

The inability to Change the Message Header --so that I could insert my name in the E-MAIL format HEADER. The person receiving the e-mail might not realize the e-mail is from me.

The second thing-- there was not any Audible cue to tell me message was sent.

When I clicked on the message download button -- A BLANK WEBPAGE appears that looks like its broken. There is no indication that downloading is in process -- Until the file appears.

I would assume the larger the file was , the longer it would be to give any sensory indication a download was taking place. Even a few seconds is too long without sensory cues that the download is in process.

I like the simplicity of this service for longer files. It just needs a little polishing on the basics
  • Reply 22 of 83
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

You have to create and album in iPhoto and rearrange them there.

There is a 60 day free MobileMe trial.. Perhaps you should have tried that first before purchasing.

Unless you are using Aperture, which also integrates with MobileMe's photo galleries. In that case, when you are on MM's web site and rearrange your photos (which is an advertised feature of the web application), it will look like your photos are rearranged, but then a few minutes later you'll watch in astonishment as your photos slide back to their original configuration.

I'm not disagreeing with your point about the free trial, just saying that there are a lot of nagging little inconsistencies and missing features that are implied in Apple's advertising. Things that you may not discover during the trial period.

As an example, you have web based email and calendar, but you can't accept a meeting request that is sent to you. You also can't send a meeting request from the web apps. These seem like pretty obvious features that I might not think to test during a free trial period. (Although, personally, I'm not really surprised because iCal is by far the weakest part of the whole iLife/MobileMe set of applications.)
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjc10000 View Post

The inability to Change the Message Header --so that I could insert my name in the E-MAIL format HEADER. The person receiving the e-mail might not realize the e-mail is from me.

The message is sent using the persons name who owns the MobileMe account and/or the name of the person assigned to the MobileMe email account.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    Quote:

When I clicked on the message download button -- A BLANK WEBPAGE appears that looks like its broken. There is no indication that downloading is in process -- Until the file appears.

On a Mac, the download manager pops open when the "download" link is clicked. Not sure how Windows behaves.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Unless you are using Aperture, which also integrates with MobileMe's photo galleries. In that case, when you are on MM's web site and rearrange your photos (which is an advertised feature of the web application), it will look like your photos are rearranged, but then a few minutes later you'll watch in astonishment as your photos slide back to their original configuration.

I haven't tried doing this on the Web App, so I'll take your word for it.. But you can arrange photos in an album in iPhoto. When published, they will appear in the same order.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Quote:

The message is sent using the persons name who owns the MobileMe account.

I find that I very rarely look at the senders name as I scan the list of e-mails I get. I'm reading the Subject headings. I get through the listing much faster. It would be useful to have the ability to embed the name into the subject.

I went back to the e-mail listing and did find the sender name-- but its not something I normally do-- and my clients are use to reviewing their e-mail lists the same way... Just the option of having the ability would be nice.

Thanks

Pete Collins
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:

I find that I very rarely look at the senders name as I scan the list of e-mails I get. I'm reading the Subject headings. I get through the listing much faster. It would be useful to have the ability to embed the name into the subject.

I went back to the e-mail listing and did find the sender name-- but its not something I normally do-- and my clients are use to reviewing their e-mail lists the same way... Just the option of having the ability would be nice.

Thanks

Pete Collins

I've never considered this as I always look at the name of a sender before opening an email... The MobileMe email subject header will be the name of the file being shared.. A workaround could be to name the file with your name in it..

But I see your point.. You should submit feedback to Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:

You have to create and album in iPhoto and rearrange them there.

There is a 60 day free MobileMe trial.. Perhaps you should have tried that first before purchasing.

Using iPhoto defeats the purpose of storing your photos in the 'cloud'.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    This sorta ticks me off. I am currently working on file managing site..Which is totally free, with unlimited storage capacity. Darn Apple, its like they know what I am doing 24/7. Still going to work through this upsetting news.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

Huh?

The purpose of MobileMe galleries is to share and publish albums or photos that you have in your computers/iPhones photo library. It is not an online photo storage solution.

EDIT: Meaning you can not publish photos directly to MobileMe if they are not stored on your computer or iPhone first.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manray View Post

This sorta ticks me off. I am currently working on file managing site..Which is totally free, with unlimited storage capacity. Darn Apple, its like they know what I am doing 24/7. Still going to work through this upsetting news.

Now I'm convinced!
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:

Now I'm convinced!

Convinced about what?
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manray View Post

Convinced about what?

Big Brother.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I haven't tried doing this on the Web App, so I'll take your word for it.. But you can arrange photos in an album in iPhoto. When published, they will appear in the same order.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

Managing your photos via the web app was one of the features Apple highlights here. But not all changes you make online get reflected on your Mac (works in iPhoto, but not in Aperture). And if you create a new album on the web app (ie, when you are traveling and upload photos for people to see). They don't sync back to your Mac. They are stuck in the cloud. There may be some way to force it to sync back to my Mac, but it's certainly not an intuitive or seamless integration.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    I much prefer my mac.com identity over me.com. I don't think I'll ever stop thinking it refers to a particularly bad version of Windows.

Having iDisk features in Finder, but having to log in through a web browser to set permissions seems like a completely stupid design. Maybe proper integration is coming in Snow Leopard.

Does anyone actually get decent upload speeds to iDisk? Even at work where I've got 10Mb/s upload capability it's unbearably slow to upload even a 2MB file. I can't imagine trying to use all 20GB for backup.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:

Big Brother.

This has happened to me on a number of occasions. Its really weird. Not just from Apple
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Quote:

Or you could just say what you mean next time.

just gotta get that last word in huh?

Mind telling me what you don't understand about slow ftp speeds? Sounds like a match made in heaven with your IQ
  • Reply 38 of 83
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post

Mind telling me what you don't understand about slow ftp speeds? Sounds like a match made in heaven with your IQ

1. Yes

2. No

3. Ignore
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post

Hahaha your IQ comment gets the best comment of the year award haha. Funny cause it's true
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I much prefer my mac.com identity over me.com. I don't think I'll ever stop thinking it refers to a particularly bad version of Windows.

Having iDisk features in Finder, but having to log in through a web browser to set permissions seems like a completely stupid design. Maybe proper integration is coming in Snow Leopard.

Does anyone actually get decent upload speeds to iDisk? Even at work where I've got 10Mb/s upload capability it's unbearably slow to upload even a 2MB file. I can't imagine trying to use all 20GB for backup.

That's Finder and webDAV for ya. I find it faster to upload files via a browser.