File sharing finally comes to MobileMe

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post

Please, just try what I said and do a comparison between the software updates and any of the Apple paid services.

What would be the point? It doesn't make sense to stick a comparatively small amount of data, like contacts and calendar syncing, on your fastest trucks stick large DLs on your trucks.

On top of that, unless there are many MM users per Mac on average or Windows users are buying the product without owning a Mac, I expect the number of Mac's needing updates is far greater than the number of MM users.

However, there was an AI recently that rumoured Apple was adding a 2nd companies data servers to its payroll. Apple could be, at least in part, adding these servers to allow for more bandwidth for this new MM service.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What would be the point? It doesn't make sense to stick a comparatively small amount of data, like contacts and calendar syncing, on your fastest trucks stick large DLs on your trucks.

On top of that, unless there are many MM users per Mac on average or Windows users are buying the product without owning a Mac, I expect the number of Mac's needing updates is far greater than the number of MM users.

However, there was an AI recently that rumoured Apple was adding a 2nd companies data servers to its payroll. Apple could be, at least in part, adding these servers to allow for more bandwidth for this new MM service.

The point is that Apple has the bandwidth for their software downloads yet won't give even but the smallest slice of that bandwidth to their paying customers. Almost any other web host that charges comparable fees, and I would love to have one pointed out that doesn't (yes, I know, NO ONE else offers iphone push that barely works or MaybeMe, where none of your web preferences will ever be saved), has everything else and for the rest there is Google plus ftp speeds that are usually in the neighborhood of 1.0MBps downstream.

So that's my point.

Although I could have put it succinctly just as well as you did above by using your definitive qualifiers:

- I expect

- Apple could be, at least in part (this one I really love)

- However, there was recently rumoured

- unless there are

You wouldn't be a lawyer by any chance, would you? On top of that you didn't even read my previous post! I was talking about FTP, no one said anything about bandwidth for syncing!

Sorry, I should clarify for you FTP = File Transfer Protocol (that's files, usually files that are too big to send via email, usually over 20mb).

Although I do have to admire your reasoning why you're not worthy of download speeds that the majority of other internet subscribers enjoy. How's that kool-aid working out for you?
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:

The point is that Apple has the bandwidth for their software downloads yet won't give even but the smallest slice of that bandwidth to their paying customers. Almost any other web host that charges comparable fees, and I would love to have one pointed out that doesn't (yes, I know, NO ONE else offers iphone push that barely works or MaybeMe, where none of your web preferences will ever be saved), has everything else and for the rest there is Google plus ftp speeds that are usually in the neighborhood of 1.0MBps downstream.

If you are getting 187KBps and others are getting 500KBps, then that would be more than the smallest possible slice. Also, I don't understand what what you mean by paying customers. I know that MM customers pay for the service, but your implies that Mac users aren't paying customers as Apple gives more bandwidth to the larger consumer base with the larger DLs.

Quote:

You wouldn't be a lawyer by any chance, would you? On top of that you didn't even read my previous post! I was talking about FTP, no one said anything about bandwidth for syncing!.

I didn't even know that FTP was part of the MM service. I know about Windows and Mac iDisk syncing, but thought it used a different protocol for that. Sync we are not talking about MM as a whole, only a small part that seems to go used by most it seems obvious that you have fallen into the category that all companies have, that give less support to the least utilized services. 10s of millions of Macs all having access to hundreds or MBs of OS X and related software updates at the same time would seem to take precedence over a rouge MM user using FTP to send a much larger than average file. It sucks, but that is the way life is.

I'm not a lawyer, but ... If during your 60-day trial the speed was sufficient but then quickly fell once you purchased the service, I would imagine you have a case, as it would fall into bait and switch. As for the new file sharing service, if you purchased MM before this was offered then it is a moot point and you have no case.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:

I didn't even know that FTP was part of the MM service. .

sigh.....

Please read the title of this thread.

As for the simple math.

Let's say I buy Leopard or a version of OSX, yes? that's about $129.99 - usually good for about 2 years, breaks down to $65 a year, software updates coming down 1.0MBps

MM - $108.00 a year, anything coming down max 200KBps.

Godaddy, OLM, any number of other web hosts, $83 and change a year - 1.0MBps or so.

What's that? I can hear you sputtering "Yes, but you don't get all that other good stuff like syncing" (when it works) or push (when it works). Let's just talk FTP and my ORIGINAL POINT of how useless it is for Apple to make like it's a big deal. Especially since they were supposed to include it in the service almost a year ago.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:

sigh.....

File sharing can utilize many protocols.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

File sharing can utilize many protocols.

LOL, you must of been born in the sixties, I can almost hear you slipping away.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:

LOL, you must of been born in the sixties, I can almost hear you slipping away.

That slipping sound you here is actually your argument being flushed. i was not even born close to the 60s.Has the specific initialism FTP taken on a colloquial meaning to refer to any file up/download that I and people that are born in the 1960s would not be aware of? What is your rationale that people born in the 1950s and earlier and people born in the 1970s and later would have such knowledge?
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

If file sharing is your only use for MobileMe, then $100 per year is probably not worth it..

But for $8.33 per month ($100/12) the iPhone/Mac push calendar/mail integration, plus web-hosting, iLife integration, plus imap email account is a pretty decent price. Web hosting alone generally costs more than that.

EDIT: Why is there such a large amount of newly registered users all with complaints about Apple products taking part in these discussions over the past few days? Coincidence or not?

Count me in as one of the satisfied mobileme users. Mobileme has worked for me and saved me so much time I don't know how I could get by without keychain, bookmarks, addressbook, mail and ical synchronization between my desktop, laptop and iphone. Backtomymac is the icing and it's much faster and more reliable than vnc. I got my familyplan cheap at buy.com for $79 but I will definitely renew even at the $149 normal price.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:

That slipping sound you here is actually your argument being flushed. i was not even born close to the 60s.Has the specific initialism FTP taken on a colloquial meaning to refer to any file up/download that I and people that are born in the 1960s would not be aware of? What is your rationale that people born in the 1950s and earlier and people born in the 1970s and later would have such knowledge?

I gotta give it to you, holding that bong and being able to type at the same time must of taken a lot of practice.

- i was not even born close to the 60s

- that I and people that are born in the 1960s
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobABoui View Post

Count me in as one of the satisfied mobileme users. Mobileme has worked for me and saved me so much time I don't know how I could get by without keychain, bookmarks, addressbook, mail and ical synchronization between my desktop, laptop and iphone. Backtomymac is the icing and it's much faster and more reliable than vnc. I got my familyplan cheap at buy.com for $79 but I will definitely renew even at the $149 normal price.

I think that they are giving out free Mountain Dew with every renewal, although I'm not sure that it's enough for the whole family.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

sigh.....

As for the simple math.

Let's say I buy Leopard or a version of OSX, yes? that's about $129.99 - usually good for about 2 years, breaks down to $65 a year, software updates coming down 1.0MBps

MM - $108.00 a year, anything coming down max 200KBps.

Godaddy, OLM, any number of other web hosts, $83 and change a year - 1.0MBps or so.

What's that? I can hear you sputtering "Yes, but you don't get all that other good stuff like syncing" (when it works) or push (when it works). Let's just talk FTP and my ORIGINAL POINT of how useless it is for Apple to make like it's a big deal. Especially since they were supposed to include it in the service almost a year ago.

Come on, even Teckstud could come up with better numbers than that! First of all, the retail price of MM is $99, not $108, but we both know you can get it considerably cheaper.

Second, your argument that none of the other aspects of MM, except for file sharing, are worth considering in the price is just foolish. If a service doesn't offer what you need then choose another. You say GoDaddy offers 1MBps DLs for $83/year, but I wonder why you are bitching about Apple's integrated consumer-based service that just sprouted. Why would you even consider MM?

Third, your comparison to buying a retail copy of OS X is inaccurate. Mac users pay for the HW and Software, so a Mac averaging $1500 every few years is $500/year. That is 5 times the price of retail box of MM. Coincidentally, the speed of Software Updater is 5x what you are claiming is the max possible speed of MM's file sharing, despite others stating differently. BTW, I just tried DLing a file from my MM account; I got averaged just over 300KBps, but I am at a hotel using their WiFi.

Finally, I still haven't seen any proof about MM offering FTP. The file sharing only offers HTTP as far as I can see.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

- i was not even born close to the 60s

- that I and people that are born in the 1960s

"People that were born in the 1960s" comprise one subject that are apparently not familiar with your assertion that FTP means any type of file transfer. This is combined via the conjunction 'and' to the subject 'I'. Since 'I' was not born in the 1960s it can't be part of the subject "People that were born in the 1960s".
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by repi View Post

Sorry, but you are wrong. To upload the files on Dropbox and enable people do download it, you only need to put the file in your Dropbox public folder, ctrl-click on it and select "copy public link", paste it to a mail message and send away. The people on the other side don't have to install anything at all. It beats iDisk and MobileMe hands down (I am a paying user of MobileMe).

The people on the other side only need to install Dropbox if you want to share a folder on Dropbox. Or if the find the service useful for themselves. And it most definitely is, with a price you can't beat.

Does that link you send work if you have a dynamic IP?
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:

"People that were born in the 1960s" comprise one subject that are apparently not familiar with your assertion that FTP means any type of file transfer. This is combined via the conjunction 'and' to the subject 'I'. Since 'I' was not born in the 1960s it can't be part of the subject "People that were born in the 1960s".

You are so smoked out you don't even realize that I was quoting you. Actually I have to apologize, you're obviously incapable of dealing with this subject intellectually.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

You are so smoked out you don't even realize that I was quoting you. Actually I have to apologize, you're obviously incapable of dealing with this subject intellectually.

Which is why I replied. Since you obviously didn't understand the context of the sentence I thought I should clarify it for you. In your defense, it is a compound sentence, which tends to confuse some of the less intelligent posters.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:

Which is why I replied. Since you obviously didn't understand the context of the sentence I thought I should clarify it for you. In your defense, it is a compound sentence, which tends to confuse some of the less intelligent posters.

I get the feeling you use "confused" a lot in conjunction with your posts.

Speaking of confused:

Me: "you're obviously incapable of dealing with this subject intellectually"

You:
    Quote:

Which is why I replied.

(that's a quote by the way). you wrote that, you might not remember but yes, you did write that.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

So that's my point.

Although I could have put it succinctly just as well as you did above by using your definitive qualifiers:

- I expect

- Apple could be, at least in part (this one I really love)

- However, there was recently rumoured

- unless there are

You wouldn't be a lawyer by any chance, would you? On top of that you didn't even read my previous post! I was talking about FTP, no one said anything about bandwidth for syncing!

Sorry, I should clarify for you FTP = File Transfer Protocol (that's files, usually files that are too big to send via email, usually over 20mb).

Although I do have to admire your reasoning why you're not worthy of download speeds that the majority of other internet subscribers enjoy. How's that kool-aid working out for you?

Except that Apple just contracted out for much more bandwidth. It's thought that Apple understands the need for more bandwidth, and that Akamai simply doesn't have enough for Apple's expanding needs.

It's not likely that software updates are more than a small fraction of Apple's bandwidth needs, and so they can run at a higher speed. If software downloads were slow, and an annoyance, too many people wouldn't bother. Unfortunately, as you show, people can be impatient.

It's more important that people get their updates.

Once the greater bandwidth ramps up, other areas should see the effects of it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=94639
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Let's just talk FTP and my ORIGINAL POINT of how useless it is for Apple to make like it's a big deal. Especially since they were supposed to include it in the service almost a year ago.

Apple's little blog post constitutes as "making like it's a big deal"?
  • Reply 79 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Enough!
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Enough!

sorry