What to (realistically) expect in the 2009 iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Enough of the mockups of products that'll never happen; let's talk what's most likely to actually come true. There's actually a few things out there which probably give us a few clues. My guesses:

16GB and 32GB models: something of a given, really; flash memory prices are still dropping, and Apple's habit ever since the first iPod nano has been to double capacity every year. It's the main reason I'll probably be upgrading my iPhone this year.

HSUPA 3G access: Infineon should have a new HSUPA chipset ready in time for an iPhone to use it, so that's what I'd expect. You'll get somewhat faster downloads, but the main deal is better uploads. Don't even think about HSPA+; there'll barely be any access points in 2009.

iPhone firmware 3.0: you know how background push notification still hasn't shown up yet? My hunch is that they're saving either that or true background apps for a major firmware revision to launch alongside the new iPhone. Hopefully there's also copy and paste as well as turn-by-turn GPS nav, but regardless, I get the feeling there'll be something big.

802.11n Wi-Fi, video chat, others: ...are big fat "maybes." HSUPA is better for video chat, but ideally you'd wait until the lower latency of 4G (LTE) to do it. There are mobile 802.11n Wi-Fi chips now, but it's a tossup as to whether or not Apple will have access to them.

And now it's your turn.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Given their PA Semi developments, I'd expect custom designed multi-core ARM processors running faster than the current 400MHz.

Latest PowerVR graphics chip. New OS improvements as in Snow Leopard.

Ram doubled to 256MB, possibly more but I wouldn't expect over 512MB.

Hopefully a better camera. I don't know if this will be in software or hardware. The 2MPixel resolution is fine for me but the captures are terrible. I'd hope for an LED flash but they probably don't want to disrupt their oh-so-perfect design.

Video capture software built-in.

Tethering plan of some sort. I don't see why it can't be free though. All they need to do is offer limited bandwidth and data amount per day.

Turn by turn GPS.

Better battery life using their improved battery tech - hopefully so it won't die in just over an hour on 3G.

Improved software performance even for the older models so there is no lag when typing.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Given their PA Semi developments, I'd expect custom designed multi-core ARM processors running faster than the current 400MHz.

Latest PowerVR graphics chip. New OS improvements as in Snow Leopard.

Ram doubled to 256MB, possibly more but I wouldn't expect over 512MB.

Hopefully a better camera. I don't know if this will be in software or hardware. The 2MPixel resolution is fine for me but the captures are terrible. I'd hope for an LED flash but they probably don't want to disrupt their oh-so-perfect design.

Video capture software built-in.

Tethering plan of some sort. I don't see why it can't be free though. All they need to do is offer limited bandwidth and data amount per day.

I wouldn't expect much from the PA Semi deal just yet; they haven't exactly had a lot of lead time. It may just be a faster off-the-shelf ARM chip.

PowerVR is more likely, and hopefully more RAM is too -- especially in the off-chance true background apps show.

The better camera may be a given too, come to think of it. Even if it's just a bump to a 3.2-megapixel sensor, it would do much. Apple also needs to think about autofocusing; video capture is still something of a battery hog.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    I agree I'm thinking that the iPhone of 2010 moves to a PA Semi sweetened multi core platform.

For now I'm thinking

32GB model- is a given. NAND flash density just doubled thanks to Intel and others. Expect a 64GB iPod Touch as well.

PowerVR SGX - another given. OpenGL ES 2.0 support and OpenCL support as well. Current games will run faster and games designed explicitely for OpenGL ES 2.0 will look and run better.

Better camera - with video capabilities is hopeful.

Bluetooth 2.1- Hopefully with Nearfield Communication and audio support.

Wifi - 802.11n is probably a given

Video out - I'd love to see it but it may be a long shot right now as DisplayPort, to my knowledge, has approved the Mobile Display Digital Interface (MDDI) which I assume Apple will use since their computer lineup is rapidly adopting DP.

New SDK - a given to support Push Notification and OpenGL ES 2.0 features and more.

AMOLED screen - longshot but i'd love to see Apple move to OLED technology.

Battery - I assume that better battery life will come and that the design of the 3rd gen iPhone will be more efficient componentwise.

RAM- double it.

That should suffice for 2009. I think the iPhone Gen 4 is going to be a barn burner.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Check out what just got unveiled by SE at MWC. It's 12.1mp and is running on the new Symbian Foundation OS. 3.5 inch WVGA screen.....It will be officially announced before the Summer but is heavily rumored to be running on the OMAP 3rd gen chipsets meaning it can support HD video capture too. I would go as far as to predict that SE will incorporate something similar to the cover flow style feature seen on the new walkman x series. If this does happen then this is surley a real threat to iphone in it's current state.

I hope Apple bump up the specs big time in their next phone starting with the camera. Samsung are going to announce a 3.8inch touch screen that records HD this week too.

• Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I wouldn't expect much from the PA Semi deal just yet; they haven't exactly had a lot of lead time. It may just be a faster off-the-shelf ARM chip.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I agree I'm thinking that the iPhone of 2010 moves to a PA Semi sweetened multi core platform.

With the multi-core ARM Cortex A9 in 2010 and Apple's yearly upgrade cycle, I think leaving multi-core that late would leave them behind the competition. The Palm Pre will have the Cortex A8 and Apple would only match that without a custom chip, although their OS may squeeze more out of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2

it can support HD video capture too

I think it would be great if the iphone could do that but I think they need to redesign the case for video capture. I find the iphone very difficult to hold taking photos and have nearly dropped it on a few occasions. The edges are just a bit too thin.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Marvin check out the video in the other thread I just made and tell me Apple can still sit comfy with just their UI and ignoring other specs. I love my iphone but I won't hesitate to ditch it if they only add a few minor things.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sounds good, I'll take two. These upgrades mentioned all sound exciting. I have simply been waiting to buy one. I have been waiting for several things since rev 1... It's really improved since the first! I just don't think I'll be able to wait any longer after the rev 4! I want to buy one this spring or sometime this year and I'd mostly like to know when they're releasing the new one. Video capture, better UI and stronger processor and memory specs would be cool, but frankly whatever it is I'm getting two! I just want to know when!

Also, what do people think about absolutely no physical buttons, even a Send button so you can just whip out your phone and hit it to call who you called last? (Let's say you mostly call one person, like, say, your wife.) How many clicks does it take to just do that? Do users here wish it had buttons? Does anyone think they'll add them? I've always wondered about this...thinking maybe they should have just a few buttons.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Marvin check out the video in the other thread I just made and tell me Apple can still sit comfy with just their UI and ignoring other specs. I love my iphone but I won't hesitate to ditch it if they only add a few minor things.

That phone looks like it might use resistive touch but I agree I don't think Apple can get away with minor updates now that the market is becoming so much more competitive. Hopefully their revision numbers really do point to a major update: rev 2,1 instead of 1,2 for the 3G model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

Also, what do people think about absolutely no physical buttons, even a Send button so you can just whip out your phone and hit it to call who you called last? (Let's say you mostly call one person, like, say, your wife.) How many clicks does it take to just do that? Do users here wish it had buttons? Does anyone think they'll add them? I've always wondered about this...thinking maybe they should have just a few buttons.

I thought I would miss more buttons but not that much. The transitions annoy me a bit as they are far too slow. When you see the older Blackberries zip through menus, you realize how slow the iphone is for navigation.

The answer button is fine because when someone calls, the screen lights up with a big answer button immediately. But quickly going to call someone, you have to slide to unlock first, then hit the contacts shortcut and then switch to contacts tab if you aren't on it, scroll to the name (there is a list of letters to quick-jump to the right one), select it and hit the right number.

There aren't speed dial presets but people have made 3rd party apps that let you do it and even put a picture of your beloved on the icon. You can use webclips to do dialling too but the 3rd party apps are easier.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

...Video capture, better UI and stronger processor and memory specs would be cool, but frankly whatever it is I'm getting two! I just want to know when!

I'm with you. I am probably sold on the next model whatever it has, though I am hoping for more, faster and better.

I got a new LG craphone 2.5 years ago--intentionally before the iPhone official announcement--to keep me from getting excited and getting one. No early adopter, me.

It worked. But here I am, waiting for June when I will get 2.

Since anything will be wonderful for me, I don't need much improvements, but I will take what comes.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There aren't speed dial presets but people have made 3rd party apps that let you do it and even put a picture of your beloved on the icon. You can use webclips to do dialling too but the 3rd party apps are easier.

Actually you don't need 3rd party Apps, a speed dial is built in.

Once you slide to open the main menu a double press of the single button brings up the 'Favorites' list, tap the one you want to call, you can even choose which number to use for contacts with multiple numbers.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Want! Better! Battery! Far better!!!! ("pas contents! pas contents!")
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Actually you don't need 3rd party Apps, a speed dial is built in.

Once you slide to open the main menu a double press of the single button brings up the 'Favorites' list, tap the one you want to call, you can even choose which number to use for contacts with multiple numbers.

I wouldn't second this... That finger dance is still too complex and time consuming. Emergency calls do need single big red button. I took "112" application myself. It would be nice though to have only one monstrous red button centered on the first page of applications...
  • Reply 13 of 49
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I hope the next iPhone has the following:

1) An easily replaceable battery. I HATE what Apple is doing with these hard wired batteries. I'm never going to buy one until this is changed.

2) Built in Wi-Fi.

2a) An option with AT&T to buy the phone on a regular phone plan. Paying 70 bucks a month for data is ridiculous. If you need data and don't have wi-fi, then there should be an option on the phone to temporarily get connected to data if you need it.

3) GPS that works with satellites.

4) The option to connect an external keyboard to the iPhone along with the ability of the iPhone to drive an external monitor.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

1) An easily replaceable battery. I HATE what Apple is doing with these hard wired batteries. I'm never going to buy one until this is changed.

2) Built in Wi-Fi.

2a) An option with AT&T to buy the phone on a regular phone plan. Paying 70 bucks a month for data is ridiculous. If you need data and don't have wi-fi, then there should be an option on the phone to temporarily get connected to data if you need it.

4) The option to connect an external keyboard to the iPhone along with the ability of the iPhone to drive an external monitor.

1) they're technically not hard-wired anyways, the battery uses contact connection if i remember correctly. the only problem is the casing on the outside.

2) it already has wifi (since you mention it in 2a, i think you were confused for a second)

2a) you can get it with a regular plan, just swap the sim card from your old phone, though you wanna be careful. I do agree that, not only at&t, but all the carriers like to jack up prices on the rate plan for their most prominent phones.

3) it does, aGPS is faster anyways. Read the introductory sentence to this article. Assisted GPS still uses satellites, it also uses data coverage to speed up data connections. so it's BETTER than GPS that works only with satellites.

4) i'm not sure i would ever use a phone connected a monitor, but maybe?
  • Reply 15 of 49
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Which phone currently uses a far better battery?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Want! Better! Battery! Far better!!!! ("pas contents! pas contents!")

• Reply 16 of 49
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

The iPod has always had an integrated battery. The chances of this changing are zero. If the integrated battery already blocks you from buying an iPhone, theirs no reason for you to wish anything else for it.

Quote:

2) Built in Wi-Fi.

Already has Wi-Fi.

Quote:

Its not worth it for AT&T to pay the steep cost of subsidizing the iPhone if they cannot make money from data subscriptions.

Quote:

Assisted GPS uses satellites. The satellite signals are too weak and too easily blocked for the phone to gain a quick and accurate location fix in all situations. Assisted GPS helps makes the location fix faster and more accurate.

Quote:

These two are largely unnecessary. Most people would not care to connect their phone to a monitor or keyboard.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    I posted the link in another thread but given Nvidia's links with Apple these days and OpenCL, what are the chances the next iphone could be something like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/17/n...d-pumping-out/

They'll have to match it if competitors will be using it anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Which phone currently uses a far better battery?

Various ascetic nokias do
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Various ascetic nokias do

In my experience iphone has the best battery of any phone.

Question to all:

What are the chances Apple will up the megapixels for the camera on board the next iphone? There was something on macrumors the other day that predicted it would have video but the same 2mp cam. I really hope this is not the case.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

In my experience iphone has the best battery of any phone.

And my biggest disappointment about iphone is its battery. I haven't changed my habits since having been using e61. My demands are always extremely reduced. Some minutes of internet to load a book, some hours of reading that loaded book, approx. 1 hour of video per day, local video from ipod, not youtube, some minutes of voice calls.

I never paid any attention to nokia's charge more oftenly than once every 3 days, I'd rather say 4 days... How on the earth does all that come to drain iphone's battery in only 2 days and sometimes in only one single day???

Yes, guys, I took already all precautions, wifi is constantly off, email push is off, only one account is updated, 3g is on, sorry, Apple, I bought iphone 3g to benefit from it...

And I'm undoubtedly not lone with my battery claims... Why then did battery extenders for iphone 3g come on the next day after the phone itself had arrived...