Netbooks killing off sickly Windows PC sales

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102
    True enough about any extended text input using an iPhone or iPod touch.

There are a few styluses available that look intriguing. As a long time Palm user and horrible typist, using a stylus with an on-screen keyboard can speed text input dramatically, especially if you're not struggling with Palm's Grafitti.

Wasn't the MacBook Air Apple's response to ultra-light laptops?

The Air doesn't directly address the netbook fad as far as the footprint is concerned, but it IS an Apple answer to it. At the release, Jobs scoffed at smurf-sized keyboards and screens. As an adult male with adult sized fingers and gradually degrading eyesight, I tend to agree.
  • Reply 102 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Wasn't the MacBook Air Apple's response to ultra-light laptops?

The Air doesn't directly address the netbook fad as far as the footprint is concerned, but it IS an Apple answer to it. At the release, Jobs scoffed at smurf-sized keyboards and screens. As an adult male with adult sized fingers and gradually degrading eyesight, I tend to agree.

Yes - the fact is, Apple already makes a netbook in the shape of the Air. Of course, it's not a *cheap* netbook, but it fits all the other criteria.

It's interesting that a lot of netbook makers are beginning to inch their products up in size towards the Air - the Acer eeePC S101, for example. I suspect that Dell's forthcoming Adamo might fit somewhere between the Air and the low-cost netbooks, too. The space between the current low-cost netbooks and the Air will probably be where Apple eventually enters the market, at a guess.