Apple drops 20-inch Cinema display, 30-inch may follow

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Hey, they offer a Matte version of the bigger of the two MacBook Pros. Maybe the same will hold true of the new ACDs.

Only the 17" MBP is offered in matte now. They axed the 15" matte option with the unibody update.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

So their thinking is the 24" is for MacBooks and the 30" in for the Mac Pro. I guess I'll be getting the Dell 24" Ultrasharp for 350USD less. With the savings, I can rent a speed boat and a hooker.

Well, I've just pulled up to the dock from my speed boat rental and I have to say what a thrilling ride the money saved provides. I've never had time at the helm of a 30" but the 24" in all its matte screen glory puts an easy smile on my face. No need to sport my polarized sun glasses when at the wheelhouse of a 24" LED display.

Note to forum shipmates: no attempt here on my part to initiate a matte vs gloss rebellion. There are other harbours in which we can spill blood.

• Reply 43 of 88
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I doubt the new displays will have a matte option. They will most likely be just like the 24" model. So you'll have 20/24/30" displays (23" display goes away for good). I can't see why Apple would make a separate display JUST for the MacBooks so I would think the 20" and 30" would be glossy, iSight cam, speakers, 3 USB 2.0 ports, and no FW (Maybe FW on the 30"). Yes, thats what they said, but they're just trying to market a new display because it doesn't fit any other Mac currently.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Only the 17" MBP is offered in matte now. They axed the 15" matte option with the unibody update.

...That's what I said. The 17" is the bigger of the two MBP's. The 30" display will probably be the bigger of the two ACD sizes (24" and 30").
  • Reply 45 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

...That's what I said. The 17" is the bigger of the two MBP's. The 30" display will probably be the bigger of the two ACD sizes (24" and 30").

Sorry, I misread it.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    Goodbye Pro market.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClimbingTheLog View Post

I have a 24" and the way my chair is at my desk, it's too big. 22" would be better. At 24" I have to turn my head to see the very right and left edges (where my Dock is...), which isn't as ergonomic.

Grow longer arms?
  • Reply 48 of 88
    I can't imagine the anti glare option not migrating its way down to at least the 15-inch MacBook Pro. The media reviews of both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro have given a big thumbs down on the glossy glass...too reflective.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    I'm thinking that the 20-inch as a size will be gone in Apple's line up. In its place a new 22-inch model.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    Doesn't seem all that surprising, third-party displays are widely available and significantly cheaper than Apple ones which may mean that Apple is just getting out of the display business entirely.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post

Doesn't seem all that surprising, third-party displays are widely available and significantly cheaper than Apple ones which may mean that Apple is just getting out of the display business entirely.

Other vendors do make cheaper and more expensive displays. Size, by far, is not the only qualifier for determining the cost of a monitor.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    Quote:

The iMac can be announced too as the green version of the low power Core 2 Quad comes out on the 23rd. It has to be next Tuesday; they can't let the updates slip into March. The Mac Pro will come at the end of March so it's best to separate them a bit. Then it will only be until the beginning of June for WWDC updates - Snow Leopard and a new Nvidia Tegra based iphone (no more powervr).

That sounds about right.

If there is no Nehalem i7 28 inch iMac (mythical, I know...) then I'll have no choice but to look towards the Mac Pro.

I'm still hoping for a cheaper 'Pro' entry model based on the i7.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    As for the monitor. It had mold on it.

If they offer a 24 and 30 inch LED range to go with the Mac Pro...then that may be enough. Who knows...the may go even bigger than 30 to add a 3rd monitor to the range.

2004. Long time ago. The LCD range started great but 5 years? That has been a disgrace. They could have updated it loooooooooong ago. And cut the obscene prices.

Reflects their desktop strategy. Stale. And greedy.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

As for the monitor. It had mold on it.

If they offer a 24 and 30 inch LED range to go with the Mac Pro...then that may be enough. Who knows...the may go even bigger than 30 to add a 3rd monitor to the range.

2004. Long time ago. The LCD range started great but 5 years? That has been a disgrace. They could have updated it loooooooooong ago. And cut the obscene prices.

Reflects their desktop strategy. Stale. And greedy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

And just what technology has been introduced that supercede Apple's Cinema displays since 2004 and that was even cheaper?
  • Reply 55 of 88
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Goodbye Pro market.

Yeah because Apple FORCES you to buy an Apple Display when you buy a Mac....
  • Reply 56 of 88
    For an IPS display the price was in range.

When you purchase from Dell you never know if they will ship IPS or PVA even if the monitor is IPS.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yeah because Apple FORCES you to buy an Apple Display when you buy a Mac....

Ignorance is bliss.
  • Reply 58 of 88
    I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for an updated 30" ACD since I bought my 8 core Mac Pro in January '08. If it turns out I waited all that time for nothing, just because Apple won't offer the proper connector, well, I'm going to kick a puppy. Maybe two.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tim68 View Post

I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for an updated 30" ACD since I bought my 8 core Mac Pro in January '08. If it turns out I waited all that time for nothing, just because Apple won't offer the proper connector, well, I'm going to kick a puppy. Maybe two.

Dude, I think you're screwed. It will probably be Mini Display port. You'll be hosed for not only the cost of the new 30-inch ACD, but some adapter do hickey or maybe even a mini display port video card that you can swap out of your Mac Pro.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Well, I've just pulled up to the dock from my speed boat rental and I have to say what a thrilling ride the money saved provides. I've never had time at the helm of a 30" but the 24" in all its matte screen glory puts an easy smile on my face. No need to sport my polarized sun glasses when at the wheelhouse of a 24" LED display.

Note to forum shipmates: no attempt here on my part to initiate a matte vs gloss rebellion. There are other harbours in which we can spill blood.

???

Matte screens are a big deal.

One noted photographer declared the MacBook Pros unacceptable because of the shiny screen.

Is this a new episode of "Steve Knows Best"?

I was at a meeting a few days ago where several people were grousing about the lack of Apple monitors to go with their intended purchases (they needed to purchase both items on one invoice for Applecare purposes).

This is one rather glaring example of Apple's unfortunate trend of not keeping the hardware up to date.

What is going on with Apple management? It seems as though they have lost their way.