Photo of next-gen Apple Mac mini in the wild?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 221
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Because the Mac mini is sold as "bring your own keyboard, mouse and monitor" It's aimed at PC users. Apple just invented Mini DisplayPort. There is only one monitor on the market with Mini DisplayPort.

I seem to remember that there was a rumor a while ago stating that this would happen. Whether or not the graphics card will handle dual displays would be an interesting question. And the firewire remaining is a nice touch.

Here's what I don't get - while its only one view, the machine seems exactly the same from a form-factor standpoint - down to the white plastic. If this is legit, what the heck took so long? This image just seems to imply that there were a few port changes, and some bumped innards - I can't say that this comes remotely close to justifying the 20 month wait we've had for this thing. We all love apple's ability to innovate, but their desktops have shown some serious signs of laziness over the last few years.
  • Reply 22 of 221
    i'm sorry but i need more than a blog publishing a photo that confirms their own previous article.
  • Reply 23 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I guess the question would be whether having 2 video ports is cheaper than just the DisplayPort bundled with an adapter?

But you still need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter ANYWAY! There's no logic to this design, given they sell a mini-DP to DVI adapter. If they wanted legacy compatibility they'd have included a full-size DVI port, otherwise there's no logical reason to include anything other than mini-DP.

Even if they wanted two ports, it'd be more logical to have 2 x mini DP, for consistency.
  • Reply 24 of 221
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I truly hope this photo is of the actual Mini that is soon to be release, for the lone reason of killing all the pessimism that I read in this thread. I don't care how Apple screwed up by removing FW on the MacBook. Perhaps they have learned their lesson after the fall-out over that and realized you need to add MORE value to computers, yes even low end ones, in this difficult economic climate.

But Apple Insider's last sentence seems to indicate that the release of this photo may mean that Apple's new Mini is actually something different than this? If so, I can only hope something better. Perhaps something more like the Cube. I would be willing to pay more for a Mini if it came with more value. But a big part of that value includes Firewire. Faster graphics are key too, and it would appear that the Mini will have that. So the only other weak link is the hard drive. Therefore, if they redesign the case to accommodate 3.5" drives, then the mini may turn out to be an ideal Mac for many who now seek a fast mid-range tower.
  • Reply 25 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uni View Post

Maybe they will let you use two monitors at once with this new mini.

Still illogical to include two different types of port when they could both be mini-DP: mini-DVI gains nothing here; they could just have 2 x mini-DP, which would make sense considering (A) they're trying to push their own mini-DP monitors and (B) going forward there are likely to be more and more DP-based monitors that mini-DVI just can't connect to, no matter what adapters you have... (depends on the monitor manufacturer)
  • Reply 26 of 221
    Image is fake, just look at the 5 USBs and look at the USB logo on top of them, only one has it.
  • Reply 27 of 221
    Wow, that looks AMAZING!!!

If it had all the NVIDIA chipsets in the MBP models (since it DOES appear to have FW800), then I'd certainly buy it, WITH a LED cinema display!

Besides, if I had a Mac Mini, I'd certainly be playing certain games *cough* Starcraft II & Diablo 3 *cough*.

BJ
  • Reply 28 of 221
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

Even if they wanted two ports, it'd be more logical to have 2 x mini DP, for consistency.

Yeah, but then how do you convince Mini users to buy a shiny new Apple Cinema Display?
  • Reply 29 of 221
    Quote:

Is that why FireWire is on the cheapest MacBook they sell?

Because it's an old design that doesn't cost them anything to continue, just like the current mini doesn't cost them anything. In contrast, including an additional chip to continue the use of firewire when the majority of mac minis do not have any firewire devices connected is just unnecessary expense and counters the idea of having a cheap, stripped down mac.

Quote:

As long as it's the "mini," it's going to be the smallest device Apple can make. I see no reason for them to integrate the power supply, but that is pure conjecture. I could be wrong.

Apple like simplicity, i've already stated twice that an internal powersupply has been included in the appleTV so therefore could be included without the loss of much space.
  • Reply 30 of 221
    That pic looks fake. Although as far as the ports, i'd be so thrilled that it would still have firewire!

The mini dvi makes no sense though. No computers have a mini dvi connector, and no one upgrading a mini is going to have a monitor already on a mini dvi connector since the old mini's had full dvi. In other worse, i don't get why it would have one of each instead of two of the new ports. since either way you're going to have to buy a new video adapter to use it. Its not really a 'legacy' port.
  • Reply 31 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Image is fake, just look at the 5 USBs and look at the USB logo on top of them, only one has it.

Right and it would signify "These are the USB Ports". Look at the display connectors, there aren't different symbols for each one. There is one right in the middle to point out these are the display connectors.

When is the last time that a 'fake' picture of an apple product has made the rounds?
  • Reply 32 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Yeah, but then how do you convince Mini users to buy a shiny new Apple Cinema Display?

You're missing my point. They don't have to buy ACDs, they can buy any, and use mini-DP to DVI adapters. Yes, having to buy adapters sucks, but even with mini-DVI they need adapters, so there's no point in having two different connectors on the back. It adds nothing.
  • Reply 33 of 221
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Could the NVIDIA and Intel lawsuit be holding this up? If Apple wanted to use NVIDIA chips, Intel could have said they won't give them unless they use a non-NVIDIA graphics chip since they claim it's a unlicensed chipset.
  • Reply 34 of 221
    My 2c . Never going to waste my money on this.

What I need is the combination of the formfactor and processing power of mini with the stupidity of apple tv w/ HDMI and a proper remote. THEN. YES. Then, i will be the guy sitting in the line at the apple store.

Frak it.
  • Reply 35 of 221
    5 USB ports because if you're brining your own keyboard & mouse then you need the extra ports. Agree with the dual video outs, not necessary and mini-dvi is on the way out. Surely dual display ports if anything. The new MacBook has no firewire so why the mini? though I'm not confident about that.

The white plastic is an oddity too considering Apples recent design ethic of black plastic and aluminium.
  • Reply 36 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

1. The port arrangement (row of ports, second row of audio and power) means the logic board would need to be split into two sections, increasing cost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

You guys are stupid.

Current Mac Mini:

• Reply 37 of 221
    5 USB ports because if you're bringing your own keyboard & mouse then you need the extra ports. Agree with the dual video outs, not necessary and mini-dvi is on the way out. Surely dual display ports if anything. The new MacBook has no firewire so why the mini? though I'm not confident about that.

The white plastic is an oddity too considering Apples recent design ethic of black plastic and aluminium.
  • Reply 38 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Could the NVIDIA and Intel lawsuit be holding this up? If Apple wanted to use NVIDIA chips, Intel could have said they won't give them unless they use a non-NVIDIA graphics chip since they claim it's a unlicensed chipset.

Nah, the lawsuit was only announced today and the mini has been due for an update for a long time.

Additionally, Intel would rather make money from selling processors rather than selling nothing. Apple could switch to AMD quite easily if Intel make a fuss.
  • Reply 39 of 221
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

doubtful.

1. The port arrangement (row of ports, second row of audio and power) means the logic board would need to be split into two sections, increasing cost.

Doesn't the current Mac Mini have this already? It's only a couple of ports and a ribbon cable to the main board anyway. 10 cents cost at the most.

Quote:

2. Firewire 800 seems to be in the realms of pro only, i doubt the cheapest computer apple sell will have it.

Might be cheaper for Apple to buy 2 million Firewire 800 controllers than 1 million Firewire 800 and 1 million Firewire 400. Who knows.

Quote:

3. No other mac has that many usb ports - the reason is if you want that many devices you wont mind having another (a usb hub).

There's space for them, why not, the chipset supports many more than that. The Mac Mini is most in need of them as well, for external drives and so on.

Quote:

4. The Apple TV has integrated power, i expect the mini to offer something similar.

It hasn't so far. I was hoping for Magsafe just for nice compatibility with the new displays.

Quote:

5. This update seems relatively minor, the time since the previous update suggests a bigger change

Well an entire rework of the innards isn't minor. This will be far far better than the current Mac Mini.
  • Reply 40 of 221
    So I guess reports of Firewire's demise were greatly exaggerated.

If the picture is real, there doesn't seem to be a physical redesign in size, shape or color. Which kind of makes you wonder what is taking them so long to release it.

I'm guessing the configuration will be based on the White MacBook. Namely 2GHz Core 2 Duo on a 1066MHz FSB, with the 9400M but using 2GB DDR2 667 memory instead of DDR3. Although the 2GHz P7350 has actually been replaced with the 2.13GHz P7450 so maybe Apple will be nice enough to use that instead, but I doubt it seeing they stuck with the 2GHz P7350 for the White MacBook.