Photo of next-gen Apple Mac mini in the wild?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 221
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Make the low end one $399 and I'll take one.
  • Reply 122 of 221
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm starting to think it's more and more a fake. The IEEE 1394b port is sideways. I can't find a surface connector that lets you attach the port to a logic board on it's side. I've seen sideways USB and even FW400 surface mount connectors but not for FW800.
  • Reply 123 of 221
    I vote fake. The mini DVI is useless without an adapter, at which point you might as well get a mini DisplayPort adapter. There's no reason to have one of each: If it was going to be a dual head system (not likely!) it would use the same connector for both.
  • Reply 124 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

miniDP has no support for analogue monitors.

Apple sells a mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter for $29. Link
  • Reply 125 of 221
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatever00 View Post

The same reason why Apple used a draft-n wireless chip in the first Macbook.

Because Apple was already shipping draft n products.
  • Reply 126 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Because Apple was already shipping draft n products.

Airport Extreme Draft n did not come out until January 2007. The second rev Macbook was released in Nov 2006, with draft n support.
  • Reply 127 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

The Mini DisplayPort is an open standard, there are already adaptors being made for it by third parties, unlike the previous port which was apple only.

You have it backwards. VESA created the DisplayPort standard a couple years ago, and only now have manufacturers begun to incorporate it. As is typical, Apple took the bull by the horns by not only adopting the standard but expanding upon it with mini-DisplayPort. Both standards are royalty free, but mini-DisplayPort is not "open." You need Apple's consent (whenever that implies).

I don't see why Apple would want to include a mini-DVI port, of all things. True, the DVI standard in and of itself is widespread, but mini-DVI is a pretty fringe standard and definitely not ubiquitous. If Apple is gunning for PC converts, I don't think this is the way to do it, and besides, IMO, the average convert isn't going to want to be befuddled and bothered with having to wade into the world of "gee, which connector(s) do I need to buy just to hook a monitor up to my Mac-mini?" I would say just ditch the mini-DVI in favor of either 1) a second mini-DisplayPort or 2) a full-size DisplayPort. At least with the latter, there are monitors out there from Dell, HP, etc that do sport full-sized DisplayPorts. Apple is known for its "take it and like it, or leave it" attitude, so surely they can axe DVI altogether and continue to provide industry direction, which is what they do best.

Also, any word on what drive size(s) might be offered with this update?
  • Reply 128 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why would they use ddr3 memory and only a core 2 duo ? Why not use an i7 or wait till i5?

The i7 runs 4 times hotter than the mobile CPU in the Mini. It wouldn't last very long bore damage was done. There's also the space issue.

As for the i5, the merom chip will be almost three years old the the 945 chipset will be approaching four by the time the i5 is released.
  • Reply 129 of 221
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatever00 View Post

Airport Extreme Draft n did not come out until January 2007. The second rev Macbook was released in Nov 2006, with draft n support.

Ok so Apple did it knowing they were going to have a product out within a month or so. I don't see any signs of any FW3200 or USB 3 devices being released anytime soon.
  • Reply 130 of 221
    If this came out next month I'd be all over it like a Soviet on cheap vodka.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A photo making the rounds on the Internet appears to conform to descriptions of a next-generation Mac mini published by AppleInsider earlier in the year.

The photo shows the rear of a Mac mini that includes five USB ports instead of 4, both mini DVI and Mini DisplayPort connectors, and FireWire 800 instead of 400 -- all of which were specifications for a next-generation Mac mini first published by AppleInsider back in January (1, 2).

For what it's worth, this is the second picture of a Mac mini seen by AppleInsider with such a port makeup, the first of which we were asked not to publish. While we cannot vouch for the authenticity of this new photo, it shows a Mac mini that is identical in every way to the system in the unpublished photo, which was said to be a prototype from last fall.

People familiar with Apple's plans have said that the new Mac mini, like Apple's MacBook families and upcoming line of iMacs, will be powered by chipsets from NVIDIA Corp.

However, with no official announcement from Apple, and two photos of the same unreleased system making the rounds in as many months, there's an outside chance the company may have recently changed its course for the next-gen Mac mini.

Update: The image was also posted to the MacRumors forums from user 'monthy,' who claims the system will ship with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo with 3MB Level 2 cache, 2GB DDR 3 RAM @ 1066MHz and a ATA Super Drive. It appears monthy is the source of the image.

• Reply 131 of 221
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    The only thing this thread proves is that there are some dummies on the AI forums. Key posts... the one about having the audio ports above the usb ports being impossible, and the one about the USB logo only being above one port.
  • Reply 132 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

would it be unreasonable to think that a new iMac would release as the chip was released?

i'd like to have a new computer (either PC or Mac) by November at the very latest, preferably by September. Would it be unreasonable to think that the a new iMac with the new Chip sets would be released by then?

this is one issue i do have with apple, its hard to know when to buy their products as they tend to keep everything a secret until it is released (which is also good in some ways) it would be nice however to know if waiting is worth it.

what times during the year do they normally have these releases? or is it just whenever they have a product to put out they have a conference and then sell it shortly after?

iMac updates have been expected for awhile. MacRumors keeps track of this stuff in their Buying Guide, which is as good an indicator of product updates as you're likely to find. I'm not sure if the i7 has a version that's compatible with the iMac, so if if that's the chipset you're looking for, you may have to wait until more 32nm chips are released. For that, you can often gain a clue from Intel's roadmap, which is much more forthcoming. Mobile i7 chips are expected, last I checked, in Q4 2009.
  • Reply 133 of 221
    I think this is a prototype updated Mac Mini (or fake). I don't think Apple are going to release it. It sounds too attractive to be true. My gut feeling. I could be wrong. Apple is 100% unpredictable right now. And that is quite unsettling.
  • Reply 134 of 221
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

That still doesn't explain the presence of the mini-DVI port.

And it doesn't seem Apple is supporting daisy-chaining on its DP display, so maybe two ports would be a safer hedge. Also allows someone to run one DVI and one DP monitor.

Point taken about the adaptors being crap, but I can't imagine Jobs/Cook getting up on stage and saying "yeah, our DP-DVI adapters are pretty crap, so we shoved a mini-DVI port on there for DVI users... those adapters work better."

I can think of a couple of reasons for the miniDVI...

First, the miniDVI-to-DVI/VGA adaptors are each $19 vs $29 for the miniDP-to-DVI/VGA. So it's cheaper for customers or for Apple to include the adaptor in the box.

Second, miniDP supports DRM, and my understanding is that the miniDP adaptors won't work to put DRM'd content on a legacy display. Including the miniDVI would be a way to avoid obsoleting your display if/when Apple activates the DRM (for HD movie rentals, for example). For the MB/MBP this isn't as big a deal because you'd still be able to view the content on the built-in display if not an external monitor. But for the mini, you need a connector that's always going to work with older displays.
  • Reply 135 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

iMac updates have been expected for awhile. MacRumors keeps track of this stuff in their Buying Guide, which is as good an indicator of product updates as you're likely to find. I'm not sure if the i7 has a version that's compatible with the iMac, so if if that's the chipset you're looking for, you may have to wait until more 32nm chips are released. For that, you can often gain a clue from Intel's roadmap, which is much more forthcoming. Mobile i7 chips are expected, last I checked, in Q4 2009.

My feeling is iMac does not need i7. It just needs bumped Core2s , the Core2Quad in the top end 24" (come on there's plenty of space for thermal engineering a mobile or even desktop quad into that without resorting to liquid cooling - just look at the stuff Zalman and CoolerMaster is doing ~ I'm sure Apple can slim that all down intelligently like use a large part of the back part of the iMac as a heatsink/heatfin etc. etc. it's all about surface area and the 24" has a huge surface area) and *most importantly* Nvidia 9600 and 9800 graphics.

<apologies for run-on sentences in this post>
  • Reply 136 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why would they use ddr3 memory and only a core 2 duo ? Why not use an i7 or wait till i5?

We do not need i7 or i5. Core 2 Duos, even mobile versions, eg. Penryn, are very, very good CPUs. DDR3 is useful when paired with integrated 9400M, gives one of the best integrated graphics options out there and decimates any Intel integrated graphic rubbish.

Like I said, the Mac Mini just needs a 2ghz Core 2 Duo Penryn, DDR3 RAM and 9400M Nvidia, I can tell you that is quite a decent machine. Upgrade to max 4GB RAM, throw in a 7200rpm (even notebook) drive, your talking one of the fastest desktop computers in the world of that size.
  • Reply 137 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm starting to think it's more and more a fake. The IEEE 1394b port is sideways. I can't find a surface connector that lets you attach the port to a logic board on it's side. I've seen sideways USB and even FW400 surface mount connectors but not for FW800.

The FW port on the current mac mini is placed sideways. FW800 ports are very rare, which may explain why you have never seen a FW800 on its side.
  • Reply 138 of 221
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Second, miniDP supports DRM, and my understanding is that the miniDP adaptors won't work to put DRM'd content on a legacy display. Including the miniDVI would be a way to avoid obsoleting your display if/when Apple activates the DRM (for HD movie rentals, for example). For the MB/MBP this isn't as big a deal because you'd still be able to view the content on the built-in display if not an external monitor. But for the mini, you need a connector that's always going to work with older displays.

Very logical deduction. This would make total sense to me too.
  • Reply 139 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Ok so Apple did it knowing they were going to have a product out within a month or so. I don't see any signs of any FW3200 or USB 3 devices being released anytime soon.

My point was it would be nice to have something that's future-proof.
  • Reply 140 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My feeling is iMac does not need i7. It just needs bumped Core2s , the Core2Quad in the top end 24" (come on there's plenty of space for thermal engineering a mobile or even desktop quad into that without resorting to liquid cooling - just look at the stuff Zalman and CoolerMaster is doing ~ I'm sure Apple can slim that all down intelligently like use a large part of the back part of the iMac as a heatsink/heatfin etc. etc. it's all about surface area and the 24" has a huge surface area) and *most importantly* Nvidia 9600 and 9800 graphics.

<apologies for run-on sentences in this post>

iMac will need Clarksfield (i5 mobile), by the time it comes out (end of this year), since i7 would have gone mainstream by this time and Nehalem is just that much better than Penryn.