Video of claimed next-gen Mac Mini surfaces online

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    Let's see if I can make you shut up with the USB ports.

I still use pc (going to get my first mac, a macbook, next month) and I play Counter Strike 1.6 and World of Warcraft. Which are not very demanding games.

My pc has P4 2.6Ghz, 1Gb Ram DDR1 and Radeon 9550 with 256Mb (clock on this board is low :S ).

Assuming this baby would have a Nvidia 9400M, 2Gb Ram DDR2 (or DDR3) and a Core 2 Duo processor, I'd say it's quite a bit ahead of my pc. So it means I would be able to play CS 1.6 (via Bootcamp) and WoW on it with better performance than on my actual pc.

That said, if I bought this Mac Mini:

USB1 - My "Growing" gaming Keyboard

USB2 - My "Razer" gaming Mouse

USB3 - My printer

USB4 - My scanner

USB5 - My Webcam/Pen Drive/Cell Phone/Camera

I would use all the ports, so shut up with the damn 5 USB ports already!

Talking about the design of it, well I think it might just be like this, it's supposed to be small, and I don't think they could make it smaller, so why change it? I don't think they want to make it bigger, unless it would somehow be cheaper...
  • Reply 42 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Fake IMHO.

Yeah. I agree. Fake.

Everyone knows the new mini will be thinner than a club sandwich and will no longer have any physical wires or plugs. They say it also speaks with a slight accent.
  • Reply 43 of 184
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    yeah, it must be a prototype.

at a minimum, the new Mini has got to change something visually noticeable - like a black plastic top to match the IMac look.

but i really expect it to get a new form factor too - the same bigger/flatter size/style as AppleTV, Airport Extreme, and Time Capsule. in particular they need more room for an "n" wifi antenna.
  • Reply 44 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpsx View Post

boring. boring. boring. fine for those who want an entry level machine, of course. but, i want a new mac cube! 1 quad core processor, up to 8gb of ram, imac level nvidia graphics, and up to 1tb 7200rpm drive. please! i cant afford a mac pro, dont need all that empty space for expansion anyway. but, i already have drives keyboard and monitor... i just need a decent little box for graphic design. at the least, give me top-of-the-line imac specs in my box (and, use use of full 4gb of ram). and, make it $999. i would pay that in a heartbeat. bring back the cube!

Oh how I wish this would come out of Apple.

I'm very relieved to see the FW800 on the Mac mini as it is a perfect complement to the FW800 port on the new Drobo.

Mac mini + Drobo = killer server / media center
  • Reply 45 of 184
    If it were real, wouldn't the author have turned it over to see the bottom area for any changes?

Could be a model, would be horrendous to do on your own as a mockup.

However this can't be photoshop, 3d rendering. Just can't be done at that resolution. Looking at the level of special effects coming out of George Lucas's operation, where it still looks problematic and tell me this is edited...
  • Reply 46 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They really don't put much effort in to the poor old Mini do they? I guess it's logical. It's a budget computer, so it gets budget industrial design. You gets what you pays for.

I wish it was MORE of a budget industrial design. Use a commodity mini tower case, and let us decide what we want to put into it.
  • Reply 47 of 184
    I hope Apple can design a better updated case than that, or Apple has just really lost their design mojo, as to me, all their other cases have either been really boring refreshes or just ugly.
  • Reply 48 of 184
    People who refuses to believe the authenticity of this object are the same who might not have believed the actuality of the previous 2 ipod nano designs, nor even other rumored photos. It seems to me there are more real photos than fake ones circulating presently and in the past. And I also don't see how having 5 USB is bad, heck regular PCS have at least 6 so I agree with the list a previous poster has made for the use of the 5 USBs; and most people who buy Mac minis would rather use a keyboard they already have than buy the Apple brand (therefore eliminating the keyboard USB hub into account). As for FireWire, i think Apple believes FW400 is nearing it's end with the imminent release of USB 3.0, so they might be including FW 800 as a push into mainstream/compete early with USB3. However I do believe removing DVI is a poor idea since most monitors still uses DVI, but Apple many choose to eliminate it in order to push technology forward, but HDMI/DP can easily be plugged in to most modern flat panel TVs.

My hypothesis is that the mini will merge with the AppleTV, because they are very similar/can function similarly and can cram into tight spaces, although there's the component a/v to consider...
  • Reply 49 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamisen.sc View Post

I have a hard time believing, after about a year and a half, that Apple would release something so similar looking to the predecessor. Why wouldn't they go with the black and aluminum theme?

The reason they use black is so that the display looks bigger. The Mini has no display so doesn't need to look black. Same reason why the keys on the desktop keyboards aren't black.

Putting black on the Mini would look hideous and it still wouldn't match the rest of the lineup. If anything, it would be aluminium all over with a white Apple logo like the laptops and Mac Pro.

This may affect wireless signals though so the plastic top is fine and probably cheaper.

I personally don't have any complaints about the Mini design. The G5/Mac Pro design hasn't change much at all for years so there's no reason for them to over-engineer their budget product and risk increasing the price.

The fact that this machine has reached this stage of development suggests to me that it will arrive next week. It may be an underwhelming refresh in the apple store just as the white Macbook refresh was (the white Macbook that also doesn't match the rest of the lineup). It was updated to Nvidia chips, new system bus, no enclosure redesign and no event required for the update.

The iMac update will probably arrive later on, possibly along with the Mac Pro update.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    ikirikir Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juanorfrankie View Post

all i want on my imac is hdmi and how bout blueray if possible, that would be nice

Display port or DVI are for computer, HDMI isn't, You just need a cable HDMI-DVI for example
  • Reply 51 of 184
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    This looks exactly like the Mac mini upgrade I've been waiting for.

Unfortunately, Jobs probably took one look at it and told them to spend another year redesigning it, because it was soooo 2005-ish.
  • Reply 52 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamisen.sc View Post

I have a hard time believing, after about a year and a half, that Apple would release something so similar looking to the predecessor. Why wouldn't they go with the black and aluminum theme?

Agreed. I see it silver around the sides, black top and bottom, silver logo. Hard to believe it would still be white.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FitzGerald View Post

Let's see if I can make you shut up with the USB ports.

I still use pc (going to get my first mac, a macbook, next month) and I play Counter Strike 1.6 and World of Warcraft. Which are not very demanding games.

My pc has P4 2.6Ghz, 1Gb Ram DDR1 and Radeon 9550 with 256Mb (clock on this board is low :S ).

Assuming this baby would have a Nvidia 9400M, 2Gb Ram DDR2 (or DDR3) and a Core 2 Duo processor, I'd say it's quite a bit ahead of my pc. So it means I would be able to play CS 1.6 (via Bootcamp) and WoW on it with better performance than on my actual pc.

That said, if I bought this Mac Mini:

USB1 - My "Growing" gaming Keyboard

USB2 - My "Razer" gaming Mouse

USB3 - My printer

USB4 - My scanner

USB5 - My Webcam/Pen Drive/Cell Phone/Camera

I would use all the ports, so shut up with the damn 5 USB ports already!

Talking about the design of it, well I think it might just be like this, it's supposed to be small, and I don't think they could make it smaller, so why change it? I don't think they want to make it bigger, unless it would somehow be cheaper...

You can't make any one shut up about something, saying things like that usually encourages a retort.

Restricting yourself to a keyboard with USB ports doesn't always make sense, if someone likes Apple's keyboards or another one with a built-in hub like Apple's, good for them. That's not me. As it is, I have a printer, scanner, mouse, memory card reader, HDTV tuner, digital camera cable, keyboard and dock connector for iPod & iPhone. Then there's the occasional USB stick, then there's the occasional hard drive too, but for the occasional connection, it's good to have a hub with visible USB connections anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

HDMI only supports 1920 x 1080.

Any display of 24" or larger support 1920 a 1200 resolution, or more, and would NOT be fully supported by HDMI. DVI covers a much larger array of display possibilities than HDMI.

HDMI also transfers audio, but since the mini is considered a computer and not (necessarily) a multi-media type of device, it doesn't really make much sense to include it. Also, isn't one of HDMI's selling points copy protection/DRM?

The same DRM is used on DVI and DisplayPort. HDMI supports 1920x1200 just fine, I don't know what you're going on about there. HDMI 1.3 and higher can support 30" displays, 1.3 has been around for a while a few years now, it's just that there's not much market for it. 30" computer displays barely seem to exist, I'm the only one that I know that has one.
  • Reply 55 of 184
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    if its the real deal boot it up and show us the full system info otherwise this might just well be a mockup.
  • Reply 56 of 184
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Cool, a new video genre-the Mac-tease.
  • Reply 57 of 184
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

1.3 has been around for a while a few years now, it's just that there's not much market for it. 30" computer displays barely seem to exist, I'm the only one that I know that has one.

Please explain what you mean by
    Quote:

that that there's not much market for it

HDMI??

The last time I looked every TV/monitor besides Apple uses it as well as every new HI-Def PC laptop, desktop and Apple TV.

Oh and by the way- 30, 32, 37, 40, 42, 50", etc LDCTVs and Plasmas have been used as monitors for years. So you're really not that alone.
  • Reply 58 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

If this is expressly intended as a multimedia computer (which I don't think is true, since it doesn't include HDMI), why would you need an Apple TV? And even so, ATV and Time Capsule connect via Ethernet, not USB.

If Apple is including five USB ports, it's because someone there is finally fed up with cable/hub clutter in their own home and pushed to have that many on the Mini. It's too bad the new 24" monitor only include three, however.

I have a mini and a hub but I'm forced to share a port between my iPod Touch and an external DVD burner. You see the problem is that some devices do not work well when fed into the computer via a hub. The mini is the sort of machine that I imagine a lot of people use with a pile of external devices since storage and the like on the device itself is rather limited.

An additional USB connection would certainly be useful to me and I can't be the only one.
  • Reply 59 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Please explain what you mean by HDMI??

The last time I looked every TV/monitor besides Apple uses it as well as every new HI-Def PC laptop, desktop and Apple TV.

Oh and by the way- 30, 32, 37, 40, 42, 50", etc LDCTVs and Plasmas have been used as monitors for years. So you're really not that alone.

My mini is attached to a 32" Sony LCDTV via a DVI/HDMI cable with the audio input separately. I would think HDMI would have been a perfectly logical method of hooking the machine up.

In fact, I see no value in buying an Apple TV on account of my computer is already attached to my TV.

By the way, the Sony makes an awesome computer monitor and it's a decent HDTV as well.
  • Reply 60 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The reason they use black is so that the display looks bigger. The Mini has no display so doesn't need to look black. Same reason why the keys on the desktop keyboards aren't black.

Putting black on the Mini would look hideous and it still wouldn't match the rest of the lineup. If anything, it would be aluminium all over with a white Apple logo like the laptops and Mac Pro.

This may affect wireless signals though so the plastic top is fine and probably cheaper.

I personally don't have any complaints about the Mini design. The G5/Mac Pro design hasn't change much at all for years so there's no reason for them to over-engineer their budget product and risk increasing the price.

The fact that this machine has reached this stage of development suggests to me that it will arrive next week. It may be an underwhelming refresh in the apple store just as the white Macbook refresh was (the white Macbook that also doesn't match the rest of the lineup). It was updated to Nvidia chips, new system bus, no enclosure redesign and no event required for the update.

The iMac update will probably arrive later on, possibly along with the Mac Pro update.

Seems to me that the mini is about providing value. I don't imagine most potential buyers would care about changes to the outward appearance of the device. What matters is that the machine be affordable and yet still perform like a legit Mac. 9400 M + 2g of fast RAM + modest processor upgrade + plus superdrive = good value if price remains unchanged.

While it's true that the mini could be the computer of choice for a larger segment of customers (tough economic times combined with the specs improving to the point where the machine can handle most users' needs), further eroding Mac Pro sales, right now Apple should be more concerned with maintaining volume than selling a few machines at a higher margin. There's not much point in trying to push the pro line if in fact that machine will be out of reach for cash-strapped customers. Instead, elevating the mini, in a cost-effective fashion (no development going into a substantial case re-design), would be a good way to keep customers in the Apple family of products in these tough economic times.

By the way, the advantages of going to the form factor now used on the new laptops would be wasted on a desktop machine. It's not as if concerns about flex, weight, etc. matter with this device. Cost, on the other hand, does. The unibody laptops are more expensive to produce than their plastic predecessors but the technical gains are worth it.

It's what Apple doesn't do that matters as much as what it does. In terms of the form factor for the mini, if it ain't broke . . .