Report: Steve Jobs cuts back on instant messaging

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    But If Cringely had reported that: "Steve's health has been improving by leaps and bounds. Sources say he's been seen jogging, is gaining weight and using iChat 24x7" I'm not sure many of you would be asking that AI remove their article would you? Hmmm?

No, didn't think so.
  • Reply 82 of 103
    Here's a thought: Maybe Steve, like me, bought a brand new PowerMac back in August that turned out to be such a turd that after three months of spending hours every day with Apple tech support agents, each of whom contradicted the agent before, the company finally decided to replace it.

And maybe the machine they replaced it with was equally defective.

And maybe Steve's just tired of hearing how a) the problem couldn't be Apple-related because he installed a non-Apple hard drive/speaker/ash tray in his office and b) the only solution was to erase the entire hard drive and reinstall everything.

Maybe Steve, like me, has had enough of spinning beach balls, windows that take 15-30 seconds to open or close, hard drives that unmount themselves in the middle of saving, and applications that crash because he has the audacity to try to run them.

It's enough to make a guy want to take six months off.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    Nah, I've read your stuff for ages now and almost all your arguments are strictly loony tunes.

I was a bit mean about saying so, which probably engendered this rabid (and long) reply, so I apologise for that but nothing you say here convinces me you know what you're taking about in the slightest. I formally apologise for yanking your chain, but what you say is so egregious, so silly and so off-the-cuff, that it just begs to be "called out."

I'll just single out this particularly nutty paragraph:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

You say Apple has a great business model? Really? Did you watch the iMac retro video where Steve says, he visions the iMac in every home? Where every user can get online effortlessly? How did that go? Not well. They were overpriced and the only place the iMac ended up were in offices in Los Angeles, New York and education, hardly any home users had an imac. It wasn't until Apple switched to Intel, dropped the price, that they saw any growth at all. A far cry from what Jobs envisioned. Compared to PC's, they are still a small percentage compared to PC users. Sure they have a decent business model, but there are many companies that are doing better and most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, especially with iPhones as millions of users have contracts expiring in several months.

I mean did you even read what you wrote here before you posted it?

1) The fact that Apple has a "great business model" is pretty much proven by the fact that we are in the middle of a world-wide recession and Apple is doing better than their competitors by leaps and bounds.

2) You take a single generalised media statement by Jobs "An Apple in every home" that was arguably never intended to be taken literally, and has no figures or dates attached to it and then hold Apple responsible for not making that happen? Really? Do you even understand the historical reference he was making there?

3) You are arguing market share as a reason why they "have a bad business model" when Apple has never been that concerned with market share and has specifically stated that they do *not* want to "take over the market" in the same sense as Microsoft does. Apple has stated over and over again that their goal is to make the best products they can and to capture that portion of the market that can see the value in their products. They are not Dell or Microsoft, have no aspirations to be Dell etc.

4) You throw in another one of your unsupported generalisations when you say "most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, ..." when you have no evidence of that fact, and it's trivial to prove it isn't even true. At best, your exaggerated language and over-use of superlatives is confusing your meaning here. I'm not going to get into why "markets" can't really "predict" anything as I know from experience that your language skills seem limited.

That's just in the one paragraph.

Reply as you like, I am getting out of this flame war now. See'ya.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by belefant View Post

Here's a thought: Maybe Steve, like me, bought a brand new PowerMac back in August that turned out to be such a turd that after three months of spending hours every day with Apple tech support agents, each of whom contradicted the agent before, the company finally decided to replace it.

Part of your problem is that you bought an old machine.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    Here's hoping he's just laying back, recovering, watching lots of TV, and thinking how much better it would be if the next Apple TV could do this or that.
  • Reply 86 of 103
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Sure. All your comments have been heard, guys. Our apologies.

K

Very cool of you Kasper. I seriously hope this slows down on AI. We understand this is a rumor site, but some of this Steve Jobs crap is getting out of control.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Hey Kasper!!

I just heard that Steve Jobs has not taken a piss in over four hours! Please do us all a favor and post that rumor too will you? I mean, mine is no less trash than what you posted right?

Now, if you flag my comment as bad behavior, then you would be a hypocrite too.

Enough of this tabloid garbage! AI should be above the sewer. Not within it.
  • Reply 88 of 103
    This is flamebait. Thanks for ruining my evening, Zach.
  • Reply 89 of 103
    "I buried Paul..."
  • Reply 90 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Not sure about everyone here but in some respect, if and when Jobs steps down for good, I think the marketing department will have more headway and won't be afraid of introducing products that the people want instead of releasing products that are crippled (macbook, newer GPU, no firewire), and start releasing products that get the job done without having to spends a few thousand dollars in order to get a $3.00 part.

BIG mistake, that would be the beginning of the end.
  • Reply 91 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

BIG mistake, that would be the beginning of the end.

Maybe, maybe not.

The biggest difference between Apple and other Fortune companies is that the marketing department is spearheaded by Jobs. Everything. He IS a CONTROL FREAK!

When Job's steps down, watch for a more laid back and general consumer devices. Presently, the Mac towers do not sell, and Apple's marketing is structure in a way that for a few hundered dollars, you can get that one more thing, until suddenly, you've gone from needing a macbook to needing a Macbook Pro.

Example. You're an art student and need a laptop. You are told Photoshop will work fine on the Macbook. Then you say you might do some DVD's, so you for sure need the DVD burner, now you go from bottom feeder to mid level macbook. Then you are told there is a student discount. Then you decide you need firewire or will do motion, you then compare the price of the entry level macbook pro compared to top of the line Macbook and realize it's not that much. Sure, it's quite a difference from what you thought you needed when you first walked into the store, but it's not that much from the high end Macbook to the low end Macbook Pro - this is their model and how they give you ALMOST everything you need, but with a catch, so if you must have a certain need to be filled, you can justify the price by comparing it, not the lowest ended model, but by comparing it to a model that is fairly close by comparison.

What I am saying is once Job's steps down, we will begin to see machines that can do more work for less dollars, i.e. a Macbook with firewire. The older macbooks had firewire but crappy GPU, therefore, no MOTION or 3D Applications. The new Macbooks have dedicated GPU but no firewire, (always a catch), watch for these types of things to stop once Job's steps down. I think this increases Apple sales, not decreases and it's a good thing not a bad thing as consumers will win win with better machines, better price points, no more games, just dedicated hardware at a reasonable price and for the premium machines, more CPU and GPU cycles. Additionally, the Mac Pro will probably see a price cut within the next cycle as Apple will departure from the need to use ECC memory and the need for heavy heat sink memory boards. Again, another win win for the consumer.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Leave the man in peace.
  • Reply 93 of 103
    For what it's worth, I don't believe that Steve Jobs will ever return to work at Apple. If I am correct, the only reason that Steve Jobs didn't quit outright was that he wanted his stock options to accrue and vest so that he could cash them.

It would be a sad ending for a man who deserved better.

The signs are too numerous to ignore. Sadly.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    Please leave the poor man alone. Maybe Apple community needs to learn to leave the man alone. Apple is not where it is just because of Steve. It is the creative juice and hard working Apple people. I am sure Steve feels the same way.

Apple community needs to get used to the idea that Steve, their hero, is also a human like rest of us.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

For what it's worth, I don't believe that Steve Jobs will ever return to work at Apple. If I am correct, the only reason that Steve Jobs didn't quit outright was that he wanted his stock options to accrue and vest so that he could cash them.

It would be a sad ending for a man who deserved better.

The signs are too numerous to ignore. Sadly.

This the dumbest post of many dumb posts on this thread. Steve Jobs will return to Apple *if* his health allows him to. You have to be blind not to realize that the man is completely obsessed with Apple, and making it a success, producing insanely great things that will change the world and proving his critics wrong again and again is what he lives for.

If he doesn't return, it will be for health reasons and health reasons alone.
  • Reply 96 of 103
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Nah, I've read your stuff for ages now and almost all your arguments are strictly loony tunes.

I was a bit mean about saying so, which probably engendered this rabid (and long) reply, so I apologise for that but nothing you say here convinces me you know what you're taking about in the slightest. I formally apologise for yanking your chain, but what you say is so egregious, so silly and so off-the-cuff, that it just begs to be "called out."

I'll just single out this particularly nutty paragraph:

I mean did you even read what you wrote here before you posted it?

1) The fact that Apple has a "great business model" is pretty much proven by the fact that we are in the middle of a world-wide recession and Apple is doing better than their competitors by leaps and bounds.

2) You take a single generalised media statement by Jobs "An Apple in every home" that was arguably never intended to be taken literally, and has no figures or dates attached to it and then hold Apple responsible for not making that happen? Really? Do you even understand the historical reference he was making there?

3) You are arguing market share as a reason why they "have a bad business model" when Apple has never been that concerned with market share and has specifically stated that they do *not* want to "take over the market" in the same sense as Microsoft does. Apple has stated over and over again that their goal is to make the best products they can and to capture that portion of the market that can see the value in their products. They are not Dell or Microsoft, have no aspirations to be Dell etc.

4) You throw in another one of your unsupported generalisations when you say "most markets predict that everything Apple sells now, have hit a wall and sales will fall flat, ..." when you have no evidence of that fact, and it's trivial to prove it isn't even true. At best, your exaggerated language and over-use of superlatives is confusing your meaning here. I'm not going to get into why "markets" can't really "predict" anything as I know from experience that your language skills seem limited.

That's just in the one paragraph.

Reply as you like, I am getting out of this flame war now. See'ya.

• Reply 97 of 103
    That Jobs and his extended personality, Apple, are RENOWN for their history of DECEIT, lack of INTEGRITY and MANIPULATION of the TRUTH purely for their own ends........

....(eg like the truth after all his statements to the contrary that emerged - he ACTUALLY risked months of potential cancer growth by arrogantly/ignorantly delaying the best chance scientific/medical option of surgery pursuing instead some 'credible evidence free' alternative hocus pocus medicine diet nonsense - likely now such STUPIDITY resulting in his current premature death bed)........

........has resulted in all this gigantic unstoppable media wave of ENDLESS FEVERENT UBIQUITOUS mistrust and speculation and so is THOROUGHLY DESERVED for such constant insidious behaviour...Apple + Jobs are like the boy that cried wolf .......THOU SHALT REAP WHAT THOU SOWS......Does the thought of NO Jobs make the HYSTERICAL(we are after all on a technology site) BABOONS, on this thread, own lives so unbearable to imagine...perhaps U could pick a fanatical cult with more integrity () to be part of next time...or better yet DON'T become part of one at all....just remember how this all started so easily with Apple's PR/brainwashing.....WHAT!? U don't remember that happening...er...
  • Reply 98 of 103
    As someone who's gone to bat with the big one the last thing you want to do is get brought down or barraged with connections from others. A few is good, close and personal who care and understand what's going on. He's in a bit of a situation where things are happening both fast and slow. This is NOT a time for this for him.

So he's not logging into chat servers. And....
  • Reply 99 of 103
    vhpvhp Posts: 1member
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. We need to focus our collective good thoughts on Steve's health and help him get better. Stock value is not my concern right now. Having Steve healthy, and living happily with his wife and children is everything. Please visit http://www.thankyousteve.org/ and send your good wishes to Steve and his family.

Mahalo
  • Reply 100 of 103
    Actually, I think in general it is good to cut down on instant messaging. I forum and email but I don't IM much at all.