Images of new Mac mini surface on AppleInsider!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm sorry... I couldn't resist!

Jimzip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Very nice

I would buy one
  • Reply 2 of 54
    No Firewire, NO SAL....oh
  • Reply 3 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

No Firewire, NO SAL....oh

• Reply 4 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    HDMI, and also a Mini DisplyPort. That's what people would prefer to see.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

HDMI, and also a Mini DisplyPort. That's what people would prefer to see.

Redundant.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    You left out "Mini DisplayPort" but centered "Mini DVI" under both ports.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I don't like the black styling. I really don't like the green dot for the status light.

The air holes as dots look nice but they'll restrict the airflow more than the fins.

If they do make one with black trim, I hope it's optional.

The other reason why this doesn't work is that it's not primarily 2-tone. If the Apple logo was silver maybe but the top looks out of place.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't like the black styling. I really don't like the green dot for the status light.

The air holes as dots look nice but they'll restrict the airflow more than the fins.

The other reason why this doesn't work is that it's not primarily 2-tone. If the Apple logo was silver maybe but the top looks out of place.

Well, the black I think is to reduce glare (its always around displays) so I don't even see why the mini would need it, except to "match."

Why not all silver like the air?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Redundant.

Yeah, the last thing people want is to be able to hook up their Mac mini to their TV with "ONE" cable.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Nice, but where is HDMI?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Yeah, the last thing people want is to be able to hook up their Mac mini to their TV with "ONE" cable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by click View Post

Nice, but where is HDMI?

*headdesk*

Me, I want the video going to the display (TV), and the audio going through the TOSlink to the receiver/amp to the 5.1 setup. I do *not* want to have audio routing to some crappy tinny little speakers on my TV.

Mini-DisplayPort -> HDMI is a no-brainer $12 cable.

As is Mini-DisplayPort -> DVI.

As is Mini-DisplayPort -> DisplayPort.

DisplayPort is the new computer display interconnect, that is quite a bit beyond HDMI, yet has backwards-compatibility with HDMI. This is what is known as Good Thing(tm).

The speculation surrounding the Mini-DVI connector being included as well leads me to believe that it will handle the analog (ie, non-HDCP) signals, and the Mini-DP will handle all digital (ie, HDCP capable) signals. No more of that funky "will this protected media play on that monitor/tv/display device"? One port it will (Mini-DP), one port it won't (Mini-DVI). Note also that Mini-DVI -> VGA is quite possible this way, giving you the gamut from the oldest to the newest display connections, and everything in between, with two tiny little ports.

HDMI is... well... just HDMI.

You may as well be asking for a full sized VGA port.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

I know....Mini-DisplayPort does that too, though with a HDMI adapter.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by click View Post

Nice, but where is HDMI?

That's a good point for a mini which is predominantly used as a home theater device, although many people will say just use:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MzE4NDY5OA

+

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR842LL/A

Multiple adapters and non-standard cable arrangements always feel a bit inelegant in my book, even though technically there's nothing wrong with it, and no signal loss will result.

There's a single cable coming out which will do this too:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I would much prefer Apple offer the two ports - HDMI and Mini DisplayPort - rather than the recent proto/mockups of Mini DVI (obsolete) and Mini DisplayPort (Apple new standard).
  • Reply 14 of 54
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So let me get this straight... you'd rather they provide an HDMI port, which is completely redundant with DisplayPort, instead of a Mini-DVI, which can be used to carry the analog signal in a clean separation of HDCP-aware ports to reduce confusion by the consumer? Okaaaaaay... why?

'murch, I think we're swimming against the tide here...
  • Reply 15 of 54
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Good day to you too Marvin! (No coffee this morning I assume... ;p )

Haha, yes, spot on with almost of that though. I thought the holes would be the first thing people pointed out. I didn't have time, but my original idea was to have the air-intake similar in form to the iPod/iPhone docks, the thin sliver of space that allows sound to come out of the docked devices could also function as air intake/exhaust. Perhaps an innovative 'thermal zone' design akin to the original PowerMac G5... Also, the underside of this mini would be smooth aluminum with slightly smaller rubber 'feet' than the macbooks, so that stacking would be possible without scratching the glass. (The green light is on the current Mac mini also, I just moved it to a different location. )

The black and glass itself is indeed to match the rest of Apple's offerings, merely an aesthetic consideration. (The colour discrepancy with the apple was unintentional, might fix that tonight...) But seeing as the iMac uses 3 tones (aluminum, dark aluminum and glass with black trim) I thought it'd be ok.

As for the DVI/Display Port! Well ... I'm just not as up with tech at the moment as I'd like. I'll go do my homework!

Cheerio!

Jimzip
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

That's a good point for a mini which is predominantly used as a home theater device, although many people will say just use:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MzE4NDY5OA

+

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR842LL/A

Multiple adapters and non-standard cable arrangements always feel a bit inelegant in my book, even though technically there's nothing wrong with it, and no signal loss will result.

There's a single cable coming out which will do this too:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I would much prefer Apple offer the two ports - HDMI and Mini DisplayPort - rather than the recent proto/mockups of Mini DVI (obsolete) and Mini DisplayPort (Apple new standard).

My belief is that the mini is predominantly used as a low cost computer for business (echoing Macminicolo.net speculation as well). While the mini is used in many HTPC configurations for AV fans I think that number is dwarfed by biz and basic consumer computer usage. Adding HDMI means an automatic annual license fee and per unit royalties when DP is free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

So let me get this straight... you'd rather they provide an HDMI port, which is completely redundant with DisplayPort, instead of a Mini-DVI, which can be used to carry the analog signal in a clean separation of HDCP-aware ports to reduce confusion by the consumer? Okaaaaaay... why?

'murch, I think we're swimming against the tide here...

Well it appears that people do not like adapters but I used a DVI to VGA adapter on my mini until just a couple of weeks ago when I bought a 24" with HDMI and DVI ports. Now I just go in DVI. Adapters aren't really all that painful unless you can't get the right one. They're as "set and forget" as you can get.

The only thing limiting a %100 recommendation is that audio for DisplayPort doesn't seem to be "turned on".

The mini is a space challenged computer as far as ports are concerned. I was actually surprised that the rumors have the next mini sporting DVI and MDP ports. I think Apple would have been better to include a 10 buck rebate towards a MDP to VGA/HDMI/DVI adaptor.

I do admit though I got a kick out of setting up my HD DVD with a single cable but I see DisplayPort as offering everything that HDMI does and more rather quickly.

My Sharp HDTV has HDMI and VGA ports. Nothing really precludes HDTV vendors from including HDMI and DisplayPort on future models so we certainly shouldn't be tunnel visioned and assume that DisplayPort won't jump over to the HDTV space obviating the need for any adaptors.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

I think it looks far better.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I think it looks far better.

Jimzip
  • Reply 19 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Also, the underside of this mini would be smooth aluminum with slightly smaller rubber 'feet' than the macbooks, so that stacking would be possible without scratching the glass.

The single large rubber foot it has now works better for sitting on top of a TV etc. Also, if the base is aluminum that means the back is too and it has to have the ports cut out of it, which adds expense to the manufacturing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

The green light is on the current Mac mini also, I just moved it to a different location.

It has a white light.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    What about a relief ligo on top and maybe lighting?