Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 180 of 278
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    I hope Safari 4 delivers cuz the recent Firefox has sucked bad.
  • Reply 182 of 278
    All I can say is "WOW"!

Let's all remember this is just the beta. Please report all bugs/issues to Apple. The final release will own.

• Reply 183 of 278
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

Has the inline address bar progress indicator stopped working for anyone else? I get a little spinny indicator on the right, but the blue progress bar doesn't show at all...

Restore the blue progress bar (third one down) and other settings:

http://pastie.textmate.org/398861

I'm glad there was a setting for the progress bar, was the only thing (so far) really bugging me about the new Safari - otherwise I really like the new changes - and the speed!
  • Reply 184 of 278
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

Mail started crashing Immediately after installing Safari 4. Mail would start up, but as it was syncing with the exchange server, it would crash. The error blamed it on Growl, but uninstalling Growl did nothing. I had to uninstall Safari 4.

Move all growl related files out of your /library/mail path structure. As discussed elsewhere, simply disabling or uninstalling growl it IS NOT enough.
  • Reply 185 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

No ordinary human knows what the fuck a plist file is.

Maybe in the Windows world? But you'd be had to find a Mac user who didn't know what a plist is! Mac have been using them to store user preferences for a long long time, and most users know it.
  • Reply 186 of 278
    Ok, this safari is BLAZING fast, wow. I also like the top site feature as well as the other stuff.

However, the top tab bar is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. What a horrific design decision that was. Sometimes i go to click on the tab and it closes the window... STUPID.

They need to change that right now.
  • Reply 187 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On the left hand side there will be a button for your Splash Page and History/Bookmarks. Click on the History/Bookmarks button.

Thanks very much for your help, cheers.
  • Reply 188 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

This is true. I like the new tab bar since it makes use of the whole width, but I miss the double click to make a new tab.

The TABS interface stinks, especially the removal of double-click for a new tab.

I prefer the old style of visual feedback for page-opening progress. The little tiny spinning indicator is barely visible.

Honestly, this version doesn't seem very Apple-like. The whole new UI requires too much manual dexterity. (e.g., to click the "+" button without hitting the clock or Spotlight instead is tricky.)

So to summarize:

1) Let me double-click to open a new tab.

2) Give me more visual feedback when a page is opening.
  • Reply 189 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I'll switch as soon as Apple makes the bookmark-syncing feature of Mobile Me free. Foxmarks for Firefox does it for free and works like a dream.

In other words... you never will.

just use the "Export" "import" feature

not great, but it works.
  • Reply 190 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

Ok, this safari is BLAZING fast, wow. I also like the top site feature as well as the other stuff.

However, the top tab bar is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. What a horrific design decision that was. Sometimes i go to click on the tab and it closes the window... STUPID.

They need to change that right now.

You don't have to wait. Just change the default. You don't need to use the terminal to change them either.

See these for more info:

Zandros> post# 80

bbwi> post# 83

Kim Kap Sol> post# 85

diskimage> post# 161
  • Reply 191 of 278
    Have they removed Snapback, I can't find it?
  • Reply 192 of 278
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Not a fan of tabs on top, it's just a mess, IMO. I did the terminal hack right away to get rid of it.

Definitely NOT faster on my 2.4Ghz Al iMac. If anything, things seem load slower than the current webkit for me.

REALLY don't like the fact that it replaces Safari 3 instead of installing the demo along side it. Hard to do side by side comparisons (maybe that's the point). When I'm testing webkit, I like to put the Safari 3 page on one monitor, and the webkit page on the other, so I can see what's working and what's not at a glance. Should be able to do this with Safari 4 beta as well.

No progress bar is a very weird omission.

I've already uninstalled it, and gone back to Safari 3.
  • Reply 193 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Not a fan of tabs on top, it's just a mess, IMO. I did the terminal hack right away to get rid of it.

What's the terminal hacK? god i hate it, help me!
  • Reply 194 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

... I miss the double click to make a new tab.

PSA TO FANS OF THE DOUBLE-CLICK TAB:

That huge "plus" symbol on the upper right window does exactly that in the new Safari. At first I thought it was a big bookmark button, but it ain't... try it.
  • Reply 195 of 278
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

It was posted a bunch of times in this thread already. Here's one with a bunch others:

• Reply 196 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

It was posted a bunch of times in this thread already. Here's one with a bunch others:

yes, i already got it. my bad, just a long day today.
  • Reply 197 of 278
    Quote:

Quote:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

This is the terminal code to bring back the old tab implementation
  • Reply 198 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwervel16 View Post

PSA TO FANS OF THE DOUBLE-CLICK TAB:

That huge "plus" symbol on the upper right window does exactly that in the new Safari. At first I thought it was a big bookmark button, but it ain't... try it.

Unfortunately, the 'plus' symbol isn't huge enough for me! Call me Klutz, but I need to be able to fumble my way to a big blank space to double-click.

This version requires a tad too much manual dexterity for my taste.

(Yes, I did report this to Apple using the "bug" feature!)
  • Reply 199 of 278
    another issue:

how come even after i tell safari to open links in new tabs rather than a new window it STILL opens it in a new window?

annoying.
  • Reply 200 of 278
    [CENTER]
    Quote:

fig A. Safari 4 Beta via VirtualBox 2.1.4 on Debian Linux Sid.[/CENTER]

Attn Administrators: Add the TIMG tag for thumbnail images if at all possible.