Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 278
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    there's something wrong with marking AI threads read. Each time I return on the forum some definitely read topics are marked unread again

• Reply 262 of 278
    In general, I think Safari 4 beta is very nice. If you are a Firefox user who relies on extensions, it's not going to work for you. As a designer, I do think that WebKit is the nicest rendering engine and Nitro is certainly a nice JS engine. For personal use, it is my browser of choice. There are still times when I launch Firefox for for some necessary development related extension.

I give Mozilla all the credit in the world for creating that ecosystem, and I'm very glad it exists. However, even Firefox 3 is still not a proper OS X citizen IMO. FF3.1 beta is closer, but still not there. But they are progressing nicely.

The Google Chrome team has stated their intent to create a plugin framework, it will be very interesting to see if Safari adopts it.

On the OS citizen note, I'm very pleased that Safari 4 looks like a Windows app on Windows. This is how it should be. Safari 3 always felt very out of place on Windows. Applications should adopt the HIG of the OS.

My ideal world is the WebKit rendering engine, one of the cutting edge JS engines, plus extensions. Is that too much to ask?
  • Reply 263 of 278
  • Reply 264 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

there's something wrong with marking AI threads read. Each time I return on the forum some definitely read topics are marked unread again

The threads are read until a post arrives, then it is not longer completely read. If you get email updates it will take you the first new post in the thread when you click the link.
  • Reply 265 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The threads are read until a post arrives, then it is not longer completely read. If you get email updates it will take you the first new post in the thread when you click the link.

Each time I restart S4B, it marks unread all threads having been updated since 1 week. So, Firefox should be considered as being more accurate in displaying AI forum in particular.
  • Reply 266 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Each time I restart S4B, it marks unread all threads having been updated since 1 week. So, Firefox should be considered as being more accurate in displaying AI forum in particular.

I am under the impression that the thread updating is server-side, not some local cookies, so I don't understand how Safari isn't updating but Firefox is, unless each browser has AI logged in with different accounts.
  • Reply 267 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am under the impression that the thread updating is server-side, not some local cookies, so I don't understand how Safari isn't updating but Firefox is, unless each browser has AI logged in with different accounts.

Ah. It may be a very good point, thanks. Then AI site should simply and plainly have been optimized for FireFox browser. S4 is promised to be capable of simulating USER_AGENT value. We'll see what would happen if this option is turned on...

UPD: You are absolutely right. S4 disguised as FireFox 3.0.5 displays read status correctly.
  • Reply 268 of 278
    CosmoPod 2.9 was tried with Safari 4B yesterday. (Sorry for repeating it unintentionally, in the case that has already been reported somewhere on AI).

First impression was quite positive. Download worked well. Didn't quite get it though, why was it so crucial to store flv files with mp4 extensions and then to convert them in MP4 files by means of the plugin itself. Couldn't wait for conversion to complete.
  • Reply 269 of 278
    mac os. rendering javascript animation

• Reply 270 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Refresh has moved to the right edge of the address line. Escape use to work to stop a page, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I don't like not being able to move the + button to bookmark a page. Nit picking for sure, but that is where my Home button goes.

The refresh arrow changes to a spinner when refreshing or loading a page; click this spinner to stop the page loading.
  • Reply 271 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I think it'd be neat if you really could search for UI elements. For example, you don't quite remember what the page was called, but you do know it had a black and blue banner, so you simply search for "black and blue banner" (semantics aside) and Safari checks the predominant colours in the top 10% of the page. Or perhaps, if you want to find the AI forums, you could search for "Gray forum". Since thread layout is pretty similar for all forum software, it shouldn't be too hard.

If you can remember what the page looks like then you can presumably remember some of the content and simply type in a few search words.

For example; to find and reply to your post I just typed in 'zandros blue gray' and it found the 2 pages in my history where those words appear.
  • Reply 272 of 278
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I hope they iron out the memory leaks. The previous versions of Safari sucked for a while until they fixed the memory issues.
  • Reply 273 of 278
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Man

Webkit nightlies and Safari 4 is the shit. I swear browsing makes me feel like i'm on a 2+ Ghz computer.
  • Reply 274 of 278
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

If you can remember what the page looks like then you can presumably remember some of the content and simply type in a few search words.

For example; to find and reply to your post I just typed in 'zandros blue gray' and it found the 2 pages in my history where those words appear.

Cool, I didn't know that. Makes searching my youtube history a bit less convenient though.
  • Reply 275 of 278
    it would be nice to open several preselected sites in safari tabs by one single keyboard shortcut. it doesn't seem feasible in general: bookmark folders have no shortcuts.

the substitute to some extent may be the option "New windows open with" set to desired bookmark folder.
  • Reply 276 of 278
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I haven't read this thread at all but I just want to chine in and say that while I was hesitant at first to download the beta I finally gave it a shot yesterday. I've got to say damn this thing is fast, I'm loving it. And the top sites feature is just showing me how many sites I visit all the damn time, and just how a few site pretty much comprise my whole internet experience. I've ran into some minor bugs that I've reported but overall I am very much enjoying myself.
  • Reply 277 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

That works but outbound links open in a new window. Why does it do that? I'll go to a certain page and click on the "forum" link and it opens a completely new window but in other pages it doesn't, wtf?

Just enable single window mode:

On a Mac, in terminal, type:

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

On Windows, untested, in command prompt, type:

Code:

%CommonProgramFiles%\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\bin\\defaults.exe write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

You will need to have iTunes installed to get defaults.exe in that location. Report your results on Windows .
  • Reply 278 of 278
    The tab of bookmarked rss feed takes the name of containing folder as title, not that of the feed itself (both Win and Mac OS X).