CBS streaming free TV programming to iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Nice to see this sort of thing.

Now if only Apple would do what it takes to get streaming from all the networks (and netflix as well) to the aTV box. I'm not holding my breath, but it would make a major difference in getting the aTV to a mainstream success.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    I know this is a free app but really it's so limited. If you have a TV tuner on your computer then buy the Orb app to watch live TV. With Orb I can watch all my channels, pause TV, and record too from any WIFI or 3G connection.

Plus you also have access with Orb to your entire photo, music and documents without loading them up on your iPhone/Touch. I can even stream my recorded TV shows and access my webcam remotely. Great for security or checking up on the kids.)

Well worth the price. I use this app all the time.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    While ABC may not yet have an iPhone app, they have been streaming their TV content for quite some time.

Their HD stream looks fantastic on my wireless iMac 24", 3.0Ghz.

While it's not "free" (commercials), it's very cool, in flexability, accomodation.

In the long run, all TV studios will just use the computer as "another TV" display, generating their revenues from Ads.

Fine with me.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Wow. Free TV- we like that.

I'm surprised Apple or the other networks allow it, in that it competes with their iTunes' sales.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

While ABC may not yet have an iPhone app, they have been streaming their TV content for quite some time.

Their HD stream looks fantastic on my wireless iMac 24", 3.0Ghz.

While it's not "free" (commercials), it's very cool, in flexability, accomodation.

In the long run, all TV studios will just use the computer as "another TV" display, generating their revenues from Ads.

Fine with me.

But will Apple allow it on the Apple TV?
  • Reply 26 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Seriously? CBS is an American television network. Yes, there are some instances of satellite broadcasts internationally and an outreach to the Philippines but there is nothing rude or incorrect about the way we presented the story.

I don't know if Virgil was saying the story was rude, maybe on the part of CBS. CBS has reasons for that, because they've sold off all the overseas distribution rights.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow. Free TV- we like that.

I'm surprised Apple or the other networks allow it, in that it competes with their iTunes' sales.

If it's CBS's right to distribute, then ABC, etc. have no reason to mind. If CBS were distributing ABC's media without consent, then that's a problem. As long as it complies with Apple's SDK and store terms of use, I don't know if they can really block that.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    In case anybody else attempts to get the app via a US gift card, don't bother.

You can get the app with no problem, and it does load on the iPhone, but "video content viewing is available only within the United States."

As nearly everybody knows, radio and TV broadcast content falls under a countries' jurisdiction. In Canada, it is the CRTC, US its the FTC and in the UK, Ofcom, etc.

They set the licensing rules basically for every communication device employed, used or sold, and set guidelines for content with regards to language, substance and foreign content.

Every countries' set of laws may be slightly different, but one thing is sure, foreign content is not unilaterally free to their respective citizens. Although many countries have exempted the internet, primarily because it was not as sophisticated at the time of legislation and nobody wanted to curtail or hinder its expansion, discussions are now in hand in many countries that may in fact, remove the exemption to control the content as is done on the radio and tv airways.

For those who think that this impedes their rights to free speech, consider the implications of not having laws legislating the availability of foreign content. As any geopolitical prof will tell you, "You want to create a coup without firing a shot," take over the radio/tv stations

Canadians, also take note. We do not have the same rights as Americans re freedom of speech. As the Charter so explicitly states, "The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." As such, you can be held responsible for what you say and are subject to penalties as described by law, if your action is deemed harmful.

P.S. AN AFTERTHOUGHT

Perhaps it is about time that we grow up and understand that the iPhone is a communication device, and as such, is subject to the laws of the land in which it is being used.

Therefore, when a web site posts a story announcing the availability of an app as AI did, and in particularly is affected by the FTC's of the world as CBS is, just take it for granted that it may not work in Timbuktu.

I have a couple of radio apps that I got via a US gift card that work, most don't. However, I didn't know until I got home, and tried them in my own country. How AI could not know for sure, unless somebody tells them, is understandable.

By the way, it would be nice to know if my Canadian (Rogers' registered) iPhone would let the app work when I go to the States and connect via a 'US' Wi-Fi base.

Certainly, we all know that when we go to Apples' or any other company web site, we don't get abusive or violent because the site isn't littered with the flag of the respectful country on every page.

Afterall, why shoot the messenger?
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If it's CBS's right to distribute, then ABC, etc. have no reason to mind. If CBS were distributing ABC's media without consent, then that's a problem. As long as it complies with Apple's SDK and store terms of use, I don't know if they can really block that.

Well I think it's great and hope all the other networks follow. It's rather wasteful to purchase current TV shows on iTunes or anywhere else for that matter. This is even more of a reason to open up the ATV like the iPhone/Touch because I'm sure CBS and the others would serve it up for free.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Well I think it's great and hope all the other networks follow. It's moronic to purchase TV shows on iTunes or anywhere else for that matter. This is even more of a reason to open up the ATV like the iPhone/Touch because I'm sure CBS and the others would serve it up for free.

And just who do you think should pay for it to get produced, aired and distributed, etc.?
  • Reply 30 of 64
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Correction, title should be:

"CBS streaming free TV programming to USA iPhone users"

Sigh.

so rude, and for no reason at all.

- Remove chip from shoulder and holster your drama, please. -

It is not really a stretch that a US company only supports the US. TV isn't food or aid that one needs to survive.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Well I think it's great and hope all the other networks follow. It's moronic to purchase TV shows on iTunes or anywhere else for that matter. This is even more of a reason to open up the ATV like the iPhone/Touch because I'm sure CBS and the others would serve it up for free.

Wonderful, I am a moron. I chose to buy the TV shows and I am happy with that decision. I do not feel like a moron though. Weird...
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And just who do you think should pay for it to get produced, aired and distributed, etc.?

The government- they pay for everything these days.

And that's why I watch PBS.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Wonderful, I am a moron. I chose to buy the TV shows and I am happy with that decision. I do not feel like a moron though. Weird...

So sorry you called yourself that. A moronic act does not necessarily make one a moron. \

But how often do you watch those current TV shows you've purchased?
  • Reply 34 of 64
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Has anyone googles why their is still no Flash for iPhone?

Because it's too slow and uses too much memory.

Heck, Adobe can't even get it right for desktop Macs, do you think they could for an iPhone with its limited memory and CPU resources?
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

Seriously? CBS is an American television network. Yes, there are some instances of satellite broadcasts internationally and an outreach to the Philippines but there is nothing rude or incorrect about the way we presented the story.

I agree it's not rude, but it should be specified as:

- AppleInsider has readers from around the world

- CBS is shown all across Canada on cable and satellite networks. Local CBS affiliates near the Canadian border even have advertising from Canadian businesses. It's not out of the question for Canadians to assume they could get access

That said the reason is licensing. Canadian satellite and cable companies have exclusive agreements to CBS content in Canada.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

The original comment I made has been edited back, as it seems a little overly strident to me in the morning light. I apologise for ramping things up to that level when it was not necessary.

However, the point that I was trying to make remains and as hard as I will try in the future not to get all bent out of shape about it it probably won't go away.

One has to not be a citizen of the USA to really see how impossibly smug and self-centred you guys come across some times. This is an internet site available to anyone around the world (that's the whole concept of the internet dontcha know), and it deals with one thing and one thing only. Apple.

Apple is itself a global corporation that produces a multi-lingual operating system that is sold in hundreds of countries around the world. Apple users, and Apple advocates come in all sizes, genders, and nationalities. In fact quite large sections of the readers of forums such as AppleInsider come from the UK, Canada etc., so this is hardly just a technical matter that both the readership and the advocates of places like this are multi-national.

The fact that the writers here (and in most other forums of this type, not trying to single you guys out), don't bother, and don't apparently even have it occur to them that they are talking to a world-wide audience and not just California, New York and Texas *does* offend people and not just me. It is rude, and it's just not necessary if anyone took just a few seconds to think about the framing of a single sentence of title. That's my whole point.

I'm sorry for "angrying up the blood" in some people here, but it's hard not to be offended when one is faced with offence. I will try to keep my anger inside in future, if only because every time someone brings this topic up at least one or two people always retort with even more outrageous stuff, like "this is America buddy" or "love it or leave it" or some other such bull.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

It's moronic to purchase current TV shows on iTunes or anywhere else for that matter. This is even more of a reason to open up the ATV like the iPhone/Touch because I'm sure CBS and the others would serve it up for free.

It's even more moronic to not understand that people are willing to pay a few bucks for convenience.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    I watch American TV shows on our Canadian Channels ... heck I even watch CBS, ABC, FOX but they substitute Canadian commercials and they even substitute Canadian feeds for American Feeds if it's in the same time-slots. This must be freakin' nuts.

I can't wait until I cancel my Cable bill and am able to watch exactly what I want, when I want (On demand TV). I'm sure that'll open up a can of worms when this becomes common place as the Advertising revenues I would think drop as I'm gonna skip them as fast as I can ....

What I Don't get is that I can watch CBS on my Canadian TV, but can't watch it on my Canadian iPhone?

If they keep this mentality as we go into the ondemand era, it just pushes me to places like piratebay to get the shows I want. Hmmmmm... I wonder if they'll have on-demand piratebay?

Some day media won't matter I guess...
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

It's even more moronic to not understand that people are willing to pay a few bucks for convenience.

Is it?

Well I guess some people will also buy a bridge to nowhere.

It's all relative- one man's convenience is another man's waste. Too each his own.

Instead of moronic I should have used wasteful and I've changed it.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    I'm not really sure what the thrust of this post is but I have to disagree with this part.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

... Canadians, also take note. We do not have the same rights as Americans re freedom of speech. As the Charter so explicitly states, "The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." As such, you can be held responsible for what you say and are subject to penalties as described by law, if your action is deemed harmful. ...

Canadians in general have more freedoms that citizens of the USA. We have protections against all kinds of things like discrimination on gender and sex that the USA is only just now starting to get, mostly because we are a younger country and our constitution and bill of rights were only recently ratified and in fact, changed. So we are a tiny bit ahead on the same curve.

The limitation described above on free speech is only intended in the same way as limitations on freedom of speech in the USA of which the classic example is the inability to be free to yell "fire!" in a crowded movie theatre. It has also never been tested in court one way or the other so to say that you know what the limitation entails in any detail is just wrong.

The chief difference between freedom of speech in the USA and in countries like Canada and EU member states that have recently reviewed their founding documents and bills of rights, is that unlike the USA these countries generally make a provision against "hate speech." There are indications that this kind of legislation is coming in the USA also.

So in a way you are right, we don't have the same freedom of speech at the moment, but what is illegal here (and may soon be in the USA), is merely the spreading of hateful biased crap. That idiot preacher that spreads the "god hates fags" message for instance would be hate speech. A radical Muslim cleric giving speeches about how "Americans are dogs and should all be killed" would be similarly so.

Personally, I don't have a problem with telling these guys that they don't have a right to spread that kind of bull.