Photo may show next-gen Mac mini retail box

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new photo claiming to show the retail packaging for Apple's long-awaited Mac mini refresh has surfaced online, adding to speculation that March will serve as launch pad for several new desktop Macs.

The new image (below), published by OneMoreThing.nl, depicts what could be the backside of a shrink-wrapped Mac mini-sized retail box.

Shown on the box is a photo of Mac mini with ports for Ethernet, FireWire 800, Mini DVI, and Mini DisplayPort, as well as 5 USB connectors. All of these ports match up with descriptions (1, 2) of a next-generation Mac mini published in early January by AppleInsider.

The image of the Mac mini in the photo also appears identical to the system that cropped up last month in a still photo and video walk-around.

While the authenticity of the latest image remains suspect, it joins rumblings this week that six new Apple product part numbers have recently turned up in the inventory system of a large overseas reseller. Obvious speculation would suggest these could represent 4 new iMac configurations and 2 new Mac mini configurations.

The source of the photo also told OneMoreThing.nl that the mini refresh would arrive alongside new iMacs that support up to 8GB of RAM and 1TB of hard disk space.

It's long been rumored, and corroborated twice over (1, 2), that new Mac mini and iMac desktops would surface sometime in early 2009 with chipsets from NVIDIA. A NVIDIA graphics icon on the rear of the purported Mac mini box would seem to be consistent with those claims.

Update: Here's a much larger version of the photo, provided to us by MacFreak.nl, which also received the image this morning. They claim it was taken with an HTC Touch Diamond in a low-light setting. The image does not appear to be edited, leaving suspicion to surround only the original item that was photographed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    Regardless of what it looks like I would love to see HDMI on this. Obviously I can just buy some cables like mini dvi to hdmi but having the ability to do video and audio over the one hdmi cable would be nice especially since so many people/companies use these for in house demos.

I personally just want one to hook up in my living room as a media hub. I have an Apple TV, but will be selling it cause of it's lack of features once the new mini comes out.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Now this is really getting bad- looks like one of those UFO pictures out of Texas.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    ...and "FAKE!" in

• Reply 4 of 92
    1 - picture of fake packaging

2 - video of fake packaging being turned in a circle
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Anybody consider that maybe they'll offer the new Mini in white and black?
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Fake and stupid.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

Regardless of what it looks like I would love to see HDMI on this. Obviously I can just buy some cables like mini dvi to hdmi but having the ability to do video and audio over the one hdmi cable would be nice especially since so many people/companies use these for in house demos.

I personally just want one to hook up in my living room as a media hub. I have an Apple TV, but will be selling it cause of it's lack of features once the new mini comes out.

DVI doesn't do audio so you're looking for DisplayPort to HDMI when DisplayPort gets around to supporting audio (eventually) if HDMI ports aren't added.

I'd love to see 5 USB ports and FW800. I'd forgo upgrading my mini and get a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Why would it be fake if it's being released tomorrow? There are tons of Apple employees that could take a photo of it.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new photo claiming to show the retail packaging for Apple's long-awaited Mac mini refresh has surfaced online, adding to speculation that March will serve as launch pad for several new desktop Macs. ...

Still don't know if I believe the idea that the Mac mini (which hasn't been updated in such a long time), is going to come out with essentially the same form factor and appearance as it's always had. I suppose it could be true, but it doesn't feel right somehow. On the other hand the mini has never been anything that could be called exciting design-wise, so who knows?

For those looking for evidence of fakery, I would point out that anyone can shrink wrap a cardboard box. Also, the Styrofoam in the background is the same as that which came with the original Mac mini. This kind of implies that they are still going with the same anti-environmental packaging as the original, which kind of stretches credulity a bit if true, but on the other hand, if the "new" mini is still unopened, then the packaging could be from an earlier model. On the other, other hand, if you have a new retail package of a mini, why not open it up and take some inside shots?
  • Reply 10 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Why would it be fake if it's being released tomorrow? There are tons of Apple employees that could take a photo of it.

Because Steve would telepathically destroy them, that's why.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Because Steve would telepathically destroy them, that's why.

Yeah but recently he's been busy takin' it easy and writing an autobiography.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    As I said before, the guy who posted the video could only have built the thing in two ways: fill in the DVI port without seams using the exact same plastic as the Mini and drill out the new port holes with a dremel OR mould an entirely new back for a current Mini with all the fins and ports correct.

Now there's professional packaging made with 802.11n and Nvidia logos.

There's no way someone would go to this much trouble to just fool people into thinking the Mini will have these features.

The packaging certainly raises the question about when exactly these things will be shipping. After all, why would it reach this stage more than 3 weeks early if the 24th is the launch date?

I have a suspicion that the Mini and iMac may not see an overhaul but something similar to the white Macbook in which case they could arrive as early as tomorrow.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Well if this is a hoax (along with the earlier video) then someone sure has a lot of time on their hands.

We'll see one way or the other sooner or later, that's for sure.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I think it's real, and we'll see it this week.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    iextremeiextreme Posts: 22member
    I am amazed by all the people who, without any analysis or thought just yell: "FAKE". Let's look at this logically and constructively.

A box has SIX (6), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 sides: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Front and Back. This image ONLY displays ONE, (1) side, not all six. Neither does it show a "depth" photo of the box, thus you can only get a 2D impression of its dimensions and not a 3D representation.

I have already heard the following justifications for it being a fake.

"It shows the back of the mini"

Response: So does the real box of the current mini.

NB! The real box of the current model shows the back in a top-view angle, which means you can see the Apple logo. That is something that you can't do in this image, so it is possible it could be a fake.

"The box is too big and goes against Apple's new 'small package policy'"

Response: As I stated earlier, we can only see 2 dimensions, I presume are hight and width, not depth. Thus it is hard to determine how big the volume of this box actually is.

"The outer design is the same as the old mini"

Well, while this is only SPECULATION on my part, reasons for this could be:

(1) IF Apple reduces the price, in order to keep costs down, they may want to avoid R&D costs and thus keep the overall outer design the same or similar.

(2) Apple just doesn't wan to update the design. Mind you, it has been roughly 1.5 years since the last update to the mini which clearly illustrates that it's not a priority (unfortunately) for Apple.

This is my brief 2 cents amateur analysis, but one I hope can keep the comments constructive and relevant instead of bashing someone for trying to convey (for what ever reason) something.

Now, if someone has PROF that the box is a fake, either you made it, you took the photo, etc. they you have a valid argument to support your claim that the photo is fake. But unless you have EVIDENCE to support this, then please shut up and don't claim its a fake. We can at best, only presume wether it is a fake or not.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

Well if this is a hoax (along with the earlier video) then someone sure has a lot of time on their hands.

Bill Gates and his kids.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I think it's real, and we'll see it this week.

I hope it is real and the low end is $499. I have some real cash and will take one in a heart beat.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

exactly, but then the "FAKE!" crew can't admit defeat, EVERYTHING to them, is "FAKE!" even the nano fatty
  • Reply 19 of 92
    I honestly can't imagine why the BACK of the mini would be featured on the box. Apple is about keeping things simple and clean, and the back of the mini while possibly eye candy for uber-geeks (ZOMG, its got teh 5 USB), is not consumer friendly at all. In fact, it can look very scary and intimidating, not what you want for the lowest cost-of-entry mac on the market. It looks great for those of us who will use it as a media center hooked up to their TV (like me ), but it just doesn't fit Apple's style.

Quote:

A box has SIX (6), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 sides: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Front and Back. This image ONLY displays ONE, (1) side, not all six. Neither does it show a "depth" photo of the box, thus you can only get a 2D impression of its dimensions and not a 3D representation.

Just for comparison, here is the box of previous Mac minis

Front:

Back:

• Reply 20 of 92
    If Apple's event is three weeks away, why are minis leaking out this early?

I suspect Apple will do a stealth launch tomorrow of the Mac min without fanfare.

At the March 24th event Phil will introduce the new 4 new iMacs and 2 MacPro configurations.

His one more thing will be announcing Snow Leopard release date which will be in June after WWDC.

At WWDC in June we will get our first glimpse of Snow Leopard with its new skin and assorted eye candy. Phil will also demo the long awaited iPhone push and iPhone OS 3.0