Apple ready with new Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    The Airport Extreme refresh does not sound like AT&T Wireless's rumored cell-tower-in-a-box network gizmo, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that routing iPhone calls will be on the new AE's feature list.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post

Apple TV...Airport Extreme...Time Capsule...too many different devices. There should be one device that accesses the Internet, acts as a server to hold video and iTunes music (which can be shared by all computers) and acts as a base station.

Why does everyone think merging these products would be a good idea? There's a very good reason they are separate:

Airport Extreme is just a router. Time Capsule is effectively an Airport Extreme Plus, with backup facilities. Kept away from the other equipment for data storage security. People who can't afford a TC will be able to go for the Airport Extreme.

Apple TV is a media server, to an extent... Although I'd prefer a Mac mini and then use it as a media-and-everything-else server. As soon as you bung all your backups into the same machine as your server, then you are spoiling the whole idea of keeping secure backups. If your fantastic do-everything box product blows up or gets nicked, you lose everything. Not a product I'd buy.

It's more expensive I'll admit, but buying these products separately makes perfect sense. I will be getting both the new Mac mini and Time Capsule when they eventually come out (and I can afford it!)

• Reply 23 of 42
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    1 TB Time Capsule should become the base model, with simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz bands added to both AirPort Extreme Station and Time Capsule. I would love to see additional features to make Time Capsule more of a home server, such as iTunes server, LDAP (for Address Book), and CalDAV (for iCal).
  • Reply 24 of 42
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Well Time Capsule does sort of augment if not replace airport extreme. I wouldn't want it to replace an Apple TV though because the ATV is a media extender. I should be able to buy'em for every HDTV in the home yet still have a centralized storage and wifi access.

How about an Apple NAS devices that can stack a Airport Extreme or Time Capsule on top?

That $499 pricepoint may be hard seeing as how the WD drive is 249 smackers in many places.

Where did you find them for that price? Best I have seen so far was $299 USD at new egg.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Why does everyone think merging these products would be a good idea? There's a very good reason they are separate:

It's more expensive I'll admit, but buying these products separately makes perfect sense. I will be getting both the new Mac mini and Time Capsule when they eventually come out (and I can afford it!)

Consumers are told that integration is the best thing since sliced bread. So everyone wants to see things combined in odd ways. Businesses are the opposite where they want devices that are great at what they do and then they purchase two of the times to ensure availability.

Consumers need to start thinking about the benefits of networks and how that relates to making their home life superior. I'm not saying that that consumer need to be running SAN at home but one you get to 3-4 computers a NAS is beginning to make a lot more sense for the unstructured data that is predominant in the typical home.

Other than larger hard drives or faster procs I wonder what new features will be brought to bear with the next AE and TC.

Maybe more 11n streams? Better Airport Admin software? NAS funtionality?

Sky's the limit I suppose.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I really don't expect a Home Server from Apple until 2010. My guess is 2010 could be a coming out party for custom ARM chips massaged by PA Semi. ...

Sounds good to me. I bought last years time Capsule anyway.

What I don't understand about home servers in general, is that they are almost useless as data vaults without the ability to be hardened against something as simple as a house fire or an earthquake. Most home users don't have the option or the need for off-site storage, so any home server solution is going to be in the same building as the other computers and data. I don't understand why no one seems to sell a reasonably priced flexible home server that is likely to actually keep your data safe.

Right now if I had a fire, I would have a good shot at pulling the hard drive trays out of my Mac Pro and running out the door with them, (as lame as that is.) It seems to me that a device like a drobo, but that can also be a NAS, Time Capsule etc. and that can also survive a housefire is the only real safe backup. Otherwise you are just moving data around from place to place in your house waiting for the eventual disaster that will take out your home backups at the same time as your home computer.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Time capsules are priced much lower. check out amazon. are TC stackable?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    wgb113wgb113 Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Where did you find them for that price? Best I have seen so far was $299 USD at new egg.

I just picked up a 1TB LaCie Ethernet Disk mini Home Edition for $170. It will serve as an iTunes server, sending wav files to my AppleTV and also allow me to access movies, pictures, and that same wav collection via my Xbox 360 in our our other room. It doesn't work with Time Machine but I've got another drive for that purpose already.

Bill
  • Reply 29 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Ur right I had heard someone else say they saw it for 249 but I never verified it with me own eyes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Sounds good to me. I bought last years time Capsule anyway.

What I don't understand about home servers in general, is that they are almost useless as data vaults without the ability to be hardened against something as simple as a house fire or an earthquake. Most home users don't have the option or the need for off-site storage, so any home server solution is going to be in the same building as the other computers and data. I don't understand why no one seems to sell a reasonably priced flexible home server that is likely to actually keep your data safe.

Right now if I had a fire, I would have a good shot at pulling the hard drive trays out of my Mac Pro and running out the door with them, (as lame as that is.) It seems to me that a device like a drobo, but that can also be a NAS, Time Capsule etc. and that can also survive a housefire is the only real safe backup. Otherwise you are just moving data around from place to place in your house waiting for the eventual disaster that will take out your home backups at the same time as your home computer.

You yanking your drives and running does create an humorous visual. I think that the potential for storing those "I cannot lose this data at any cost" in either a safe deposit or cloud storage may work as an adjunct to hardware. I saw today that Netgear is offering cloud storage linked to ReadyNAS devices.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Even with the discount the current Time Capsule is overpriced and the gap between the two models insane. The retail price difference between a 500GB drive and a 1TB drive is about $40. The gap between the two Time Capsules is, on the Apple Store, $200. Even the Amazon discounts have a $130 difference.

The Time Capsule is useless as a home server because it was designed to be a backup device not a server. There's no built-in backup or RAID capability so when it fails you lose everything.

Home fires and natural disasters, while they happen, are far more rare than simple hard drive failures. A home server addresses the most likely failure point. If you want to really protect your data you need multiple backup solutions including both on-site and off-site storage. For the truly paranoid you need two off-site locations in different parts of the world, but if you're truly paranoid you don't trust transmitting your data over the internet or having it stored on someone else's computer
  • Reply 31 of 42
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Let me guess... you want a Java applet?

Ha ha... funny (NOT!). My Linksys router display an HTML page to configure my router when I visit an IP address, like 192.168.1.1. This allows me to configure my router from Linux or OpenSolaris. Also, I don't need to install any client software on any machine that I need to administer my network. It absolutely boggles my mind that Apple doesn't do this, because they're losing so many sales by assuming that all anybody will run is either Windows or OS X.

Quote:

I'd rather see them create an iPhone/iPod touch app for configuring base stations.

I can do this now with my Linksys router from my iPod touch by visiting said web page on my router. I just tried it out now.

Quote:

Not going to happen any time soon but it would be nice...and it wouldn't be OS X or windows.

• Reply 32 of 42
    brclark82brclark82 Posts: 182member
    So do the current macbook pros with 802.11n cards work with the 5ghz spectrum or do you need special hardware?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Ha ha... funny (NOT!). My Linksys router display an HTML page to configure my router when I visit an IP address, like 192.168.1.1. This allows me to configure my router from Linux or OpenSolaris. Also, I don't need to install any client software on any machine that I need to administer my network. It absolutely boggles my mind that Apple doesn't do this, because they're losing so many sales by assuming that all anybody will run is either Windows or OS X. ...

I kind of agree about the web page approach, having had many linksys routers before and it seems like a simple bonjour webpage on the device would do it. Certainly it would make the bonjour menu in Safari actually useful for a change.

I think you are going over the top when you talk about "so many sales" being lost as a result of this however. The market for non-windows and non-mac computers is miniscule at best and almost none of those customers would buy an Airport Express even if they could administer it from Linux, Solaris, etc.

I find the fact that Apple's routers don't have blinky lights on the front is more of a barrier to these users than the lack of a native admin tool or the web page.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel View Post

Time capsules are priced much lower. check out amazon. are TC stackable?

My TC runs so warm/hot I wouldn't dare stack it. Plus, I think the antenna is pretty weak, so I stay away from stacking it for that reason too.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so what do you want new TC to do that the original didn't have?

could you daisy chain usb external hd to TC to expand storage?/
  • Reply 36 of 42
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    They need to model the time capsule after something like this, I think these guys have Apple's sense of design:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11118

I want to store all my media files on it, use it for backups with time machine, access it on my network at home, and also access the files anywhere in the world through mobileme and also through my iphone and ipod touch when not home. Apple you can do it.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What a coincidence to read this about a dual speed supporting AE tonight! I just spent the afternoon setting up my AE as .11n only and adding an additional wi-fi set up for .11g just for the iPhones and my old iBook I use for reading. I did this because I stream HD movies from my Mac Pro rather than loading them into the AppleTV. Recently I have found 720p/ 24 fps movies stuttering a bit so decided to try dropping the support for .11g to see if this helps. I stream HD content simply because I have way to much for the ATV and besides it's nice to have everything on line to select from. I don't yet know if this will help the 720p movies as I haven't had time to test yet. p.s. My Mac Pro is wired to the AE.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post

Apple TV...Airport Extreme...Time Capsule...too many different devices. There should be one device that accesses the Internet, acts as a server to hold video and iTunes music (which can be shared by all computers) and acts as a base station. This is just more of the same.

While I'm at it, why can't Apple also make the thing replace my Onkyo surround sound receiver? Imaging one beautiful device, sitting beneath the television...white with pulsating blue light...delivering online content, downloading high def movies, and powering my 6 speakers and sub woofer. It would also have the most beautiful universal remote. Some day....

Pulsating blue, delivering all that "mushy, mush" brain candy... Mmmmm (cue Alec Baldwin from the Hulu ads)...

The way you described this new "device", it sounds a little creepy, something a la "The Tommyknockers"...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

They need to model the time capsule after something like this, I think these guys have Apple's sense of design:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11118

I want to store all my media files on it, use it for backups with time machine, access it on my network at home, and also access the files anywhere in the world through mobileme and also through my iphone and ipod touch when not home. Apple you can do it.

Dave....

Actually looks like a fantastic if expensive machine. Didn't Apple bail on their own raid setup on the server side of the business? That makes me more then a little pessimistic that we will see a apple home server solution anytime soon.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Hmmm...Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes, iMacs, Mac Pros, Mac minis...

So is this the new Apple strategy?

Release everything including the kitchen sink at the same time?

The kitchen sink being the xServe. Haven't heard any update rumors on that system. Is Apple still serious about the enterprise?