Apple ready with new Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel View Post

Time capsules are priced much lower. check out amazon. are TC stackable?

Lucky for you, in the US. Here in the UK, Amazon's price for the 500GB is 24p cheaper. And the 1TB is £16 MORE expensive. In fact, one Amazon seller is selling their 1TB version for £517.84 - that's $731.

• Reply 42 of 42
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What a coincidence to read this about a dual speed supporting AE tonight! I just spent the afternoon setting up my AE as .11n only and adding an additional wi-fi set up for .11g just for the iPhones and my old iBook I use for reading. I did this because I stream HD movies from my Mac Pro rather than loading them into the AppleTV. Recently I have found 720p/ 24 fps movies stuttering a bit so decided to try dropping the support for .11g to see if this helps. I stream HD content simply because I have way to much for the ATV and besides it's nice to have everything on line to select from. I don't yet know if this will help the 720p movies as I haven't had time to test yet. p.s. My Mac Pro is wired to the AE.

I'd be interested in what you find.

I recently set up a brand new AirPort Extreme bought 2 days ago (arrgghh! - hopefully a restocking fee will help exchange it for a new one) and was making some 802.11n (only) versus 802.11n/b/g combined tests.

Contrary to what I expected, file transfers between "n" machines (eg, a recent MacBook and Mac Pro) on an "n" only network WERE NOT substantially reduced by having a "g" device (eg, an iPhone) on an "n/g/b" network, either dormant or actively using it.

The test I did was: copy a 1 GB file wirelessly between the two "n" machines. At the same time as the copy was happening, I connected my "g" iPhone and scrolled around in Google Maps for the 4 min duration of the transfer.

I later repeated the test by rapidly following web links in Safari, basically maxing out the iPhone's web use.

The result was a very marginal slowdown in copy speed between "n" machines. Where a 1.09 GB copy between two "n" machines (both wireless) took around 4 mins 20 secs, having an iPhone very active on the network only reduced it to around 4 mins 40 secs. Hardly a serious impediment.

Going Ethernet machine to "n" wireless machine was even less noticeable, basically a few percent over the 2 mins copy speed.

I made other tests too, all of which made me conclude there was little to be gained (and much to lose, eg, iPhone not being able to talk to Mac via wifi) by sticking with "n" only.

Now, I'd always believed that "n" networks in "b/g" compatible mode were hobbled by the speed of the slowest device. In these tests though that just didn't seem to be born out.

Perhaps it makes more of a difference for 10 or so devices simultaneously operating, rather than the 2 or 3 I was doing limited testing with?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing if the new AE rev with simultaneous broadcast protocols (hopefully keeping the devices on the same actual network so they can see each other) genuinely brings much advantage.

And what is Apple's policy on exchanging a 2 day old device for the brand new equivalent?!