Apple introduces new iMacs with more affordable pricing

Comments

• Reply 121 of 322
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Realistically, Solipism is right, the iMac is a desktop with notebook parts (the core i7 is not in any version today, not sure why he wrote that bit).

My mistake.
  • Reply 122 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The keyboard did not change. The wireless keyboards never had the numeric keypad since the last update two years ago. On the other hand, the wired keyboards have the numeric keypads option and two USB 2.0 ports. Nothing new here.

I don't have the option of the keyboard WITH num pad on my country's online Apple Store

I know the small one exists for a while. I just don't agree of bundling it by default on desktop. However the keyboard is the smallest problem about this updates. The specs are acceptable if this line only lasts for 6 months.
  • Reply 123 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Historically, except for the display and HDD all the major components have been notebook-grade. The inclusion of Core i7 surprises me. I am curious if Apple is underclocking them and/or has implemented a new cooling method. I look forward to iFixit.com's thorough dissection.

Where?

Apple's site still says Core 2 Duo, unless I missed something

Edit: Never mind you caught it.
  • Reply 124 of 322
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Lets post an organized list of the cons:

Apple should have waited for the new i7 "Bloomfield" CPU perhaps (replace the Core 2 Duo)

No Blu-Ray yet

No LED backlight

No 30" model

Lower price?
  • Reply 125 of 322
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

You know that Aluminum is more durable than plastic, don't you?!

A lot of things are but does that mean it needed a high gloss racoon eye?

Quote:

I used to own the white iMac before I bought me unibody MBP. In my opinion, the new iMac design is aesthetically better. My old plastic white iMac had scratches due to the few times I had to put in and take it out of my iLugger iMac carrying case.

I guess that's what happens when you try to turn a desktop into a portable. Do you know how many old iPods were rendered useless because they weren't meant to be worn as armbands, etc?
  • Reply 126 of 322
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

Where?

Apple's site still says Core 2 Duo, unless I missed something

Before AI had articles I was on MacRumors perusing their forums. I could have sworn someone stated they were using Core i7, hence my wondering if they were underclocked or using some alien cooling techniques. All signs pointed to them being too hot. The new C2Q from Intel designed for AIOs were what i thought Apple would use if the updates were not to come until next month. Perhaps next time around.
  • Reply 127 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

What's that keyboard?!? They must be joking! A small one? Still the same white keys? They don't go well with the look of the machine. Why would someone want a laptop like keyboard on a desktop? I was thinking of buying a new iMac to pair with my unibody Macbook Pro but I'm skipping it for some time later (next revision). No quad cores yet? Oh well... and... why not LED backlit display? Even if they put it on the high end model would be more acceptable.

The keyboard thing really shocked me!

Don't you know- Mac people don't use number keys - they only create!
  • Reply 128 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Before AI had articles I was on MacRumors perusing their forums. I could have sworn someone stated they were using Core i7, hence my wondering if they were underclocked or using some alien cooling techniques. All signs pointed to them being too hot. The new C2Q from Intel designed for AIOs were what i thought Apple would use if the updates were not to come until next month. Perhaps next time around.

yeah, that was a rumor, even engadget posted that it had an i7... but yeah, it does not.
  • Reply 129 of 322
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A lot of things are but does that mean it needed a high gloss racoon eye?

Many people don't find this a problem.

Quote:

I guess that's what happens when you try to turn a desktop into a portable. Do you know how many old iPods were rendered useless because they weren't meant to be worn as armbands, etc?

I said few times. Haven't you ever moved to new apartment? taken your Mac for repair? moved to another city for few months?

Sure a desktop is not a portable but that doesn't mean it will be welded to your desk!
  • Reply 130 of 322
    Quote:

Many people don't find this a problem.

Many do.

Quote:

I said few times. Haven't you ever moved to new apartment? taken your Mac for repair? moved to another city for few months?

Sure a desktop is not a portable but that doesn't mean it will be welded to your desk!

Yes I have, and when I do, I transport it in the box it came in, styrofoam and all.
  • Reply 131 of 322
    Quote:

Don't you know- Mac people don't use number keys - they only create!

Well, at least I have use for the numbers and pgup, pgdn, home and end keys :-P
  • Reply 132 of 322
    Have to say that this update was nothing short of a kick in the teeth for UK users. The price of a new Mac is now far beyond reasonable especially in times of such economic turbulence. I've beena mac user and owner for 10 years and I've been aching to upgrade from a consumer unit to a pro Desktop since I first clapped eyes on the G5 but I can safely say that with Apple jacking the prices up instead of bringing them down I'll be waiting for a long time still. Furthermore it's a complete phallacy that the foreign market prices reflect the "strong" dollar. If you take the prices and convert them back into dollars through XE you'll see what a shocking difference there really is, especially since the Mac Pro is assembled in Ireland for Christ sake. Ireland is a stones throw from us UK mainlanders and the global cost of fuel has fallen dramatically so it's not additional transport costs being factored in. It's Apple screwing it's non domestic user base to offset offering them cheaper at home. Everything that was revised today has gone up in price and I personally won't pay the extra for such marginal improvements.I've been waiting for nine months to upgrade my desktop and I'll quite happily wait till third party distributors get their stock and buy a last gen Pro instead at a reduced price.

Ps does anyone know if the new Raedon 4870 card will be backward compatible with older Mac Pro's?
  • Reply 133 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

Well, at least I have use for the numbers and pgup, pgdn, home and end keys :-P

I'm only kidding- I use Excel and TurboTAx for a living and I still don't understand why they dropped the number keys from the wireless. I had used the clunky white wireless but upgraded to the corded aluminum with numbers only because the wireless now omits them.
  • Reply 134 of 322
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Yes I have, and when I do, I transport it in the box it came in, styrofoam and all.

Sorry, I can not trust the airlines cargo workers with my $2000 computer especially with the box clearly shows the content. I prefer carrying it with me at all times. They already "lost" my laser printer few years back.
  • Reply 135 of 322
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DyingSun View Post

I guess it's just the wireless one wired. Thankfully it's still optional.

Except that the smaller keyboard is the default, which I think is not good (it doesn't cost extra for the full-size one, but you've got to make sure what you're getting).

I'm sure some people won't know about it, and get the small one by mistake, especially if they buy it in an Apple store - will the clerks tell customers they have a choice, and will they have boxed iMacs with either keyboard in stock, or will they just give them the small one? And what about buying from Amazon, etc.?
  • Reply 136 of 322
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    For all the promise of OpenCL it's clear this entire lineup is at least one full revision away from truly leveraging it's full power.

Part of that is due to the state of hardware for these form factors [and Apple's selections] and part due to Nvidia and ATi one revision away from really showing how powerful even a laptop can be w/o the need for some Tesla system.

With Apple not supporting SLI they are handcuffing OpenCL.
  • Reply 137 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Sorry, I can not trust the airlines cargo workers with my $2000 computer especially with the box clearly shows the content. I prefer carrying it with me at all times. They already "lost" my laser printer few years back.

No apologies necessary- it's just that plastic ican be as durable and much more maleable than aluminum. Let's not fool ourselves- this change was made for how it now biodegrades in a landfill, not durability. Thank you Al Gore.
  • Reply 138 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Except that the smaller keyboard is the default, which I think is not good (it doesn't cost extra for the full-size one, but you've got to make sure what you're getting).

I'm sure some people won't know about it, and get the small one by mistake, especially if they buy it in an Apple store - will the clerks tell customers they have a choice, and will they have boxed iMacs with either keyboard in stock, or will they just give them the small one? And what about buying from Amazon, etc.?

You're right and I agree. But someone at the new keyboard thread came up with a clever idea that might explain this move: they're making space for a (future) (USB?) desktop glass trackpad! Who knows...
  • Reply 139 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

What's that old saying- "Apple giveth and taketh away"
  • Reply 140 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And that is Apple's fault? Any answer but NO is asinine.

is it Apples fault that their intentional prices are NOT the "more affordable pricing" claimed in the thread title? no.

it is however their CHOICE as a business, is it a sound choice, yes, but only IF they manage to keep selling at a higher price point that BEFORE this update, in the midst of a GLOBAL recession.

is it asinine of AI to post on a globally accessible website, reporting on an international company, selling their product world wide, that just because the US prices have dropped we should all believe that things are "more affordable" when evidence internationally points to this not being the case.

it might not be asinine, but it is at least myopic, inward and conceited.