Apple quietly intros 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, offers larger SSDs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Flying under the radar of Tuesday's broad desktop overhaul were quiet updates to Apple's MacBook Pro notebook line, which now includes a faster 15-inch model, new high-end chip options, and larger solid-state drive (SSD) choices that are also offered alongside the company's 13-inch MacBooks.



Beginning today, the high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro now comes standard with a 2.66GHz processor, up from the 2.53GHz. For an extra $300, it can be upgraded to a 2.93GHz chip, which replaces the previous 2.8GHz build-to-order option.



The processor in the base model 15-inch MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz, remains unchanged with no upgrade option, and the new 17" unibody MacBook Pro keeps the same 2.66GHz standard configuration and 2.93GHz upgrade option priced at $300.



Meanwhile, the 15-inch MacBook Pro and both 13-inch unibody MacBook models can now be configured with the same 256GB SSD previously available only to their larger 17-inch companion.



The prices for the 256GB drive upgrades are as follows: 2.0GHz unibody MacBook ($900), 2.4GHz unibody MacBook ($825), 2.4GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro ($825), 2.66GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro ($750), and 17-inch MacBook Pro ($750).
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 44
    FIRST POST!



    Its good to see an update for this. the negative is that these are brand new computers that just came out. But, I really can't complain. I will always be an Apple customer.



    Did anybody else notice the new wired keyboard without the numeric keypad?? Pretty cool if you ask me
  • Reply 2 of 44
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Nice processor improvements to the MBP at no additional cost.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Dont forget that apple has also released Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.5







    About Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.5

    This update extends RAW file compatibility for Aperture 2, iPhoto '08, and iPhoto '09 for the following cameras:



    Nikon D3X

    Epson R-D1x



    It also addresses issues related to specific cameras and overall stability.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post


    FIRST POST!



    Its good to see an update for this. the negative is that these are brand new computers that just came out. But, I really can't complain. I will always be an Apple customer.



    Did anybody else notice the new wired keyboard without the numeric keypad?? Pretty cool if you ask me



    The original wired keyboard with number pad is still an option.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaurjyh View Post


    Dont forget that apple has also released Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.5







    About Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.5

    This update extends RAW file compatibility for Aperture 2, iPhoto '08, and iPhoto '09 for the following cameras:



    Nikon D3X

    Epson R-D1x



    It also addresses issues related to specific cameras and overall stability.



    Where the hell is 5DMK2 support?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Give me a matte screen on the 15" version and I'd be interested
  • Reply 7 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post


    FIRST POST!



    Its good to see an update for this. the negative is that these are brand new computers that just came out. But, I really can't complain. I will always be an Apple customer.



    Did anybody else notice the new wired keyboard without the numeric keypad?? Pretty cool if you ask me



    They came out in october, apple should be doing bumps like this all the time, is ridiculous to let people wait months for new models that only end up being a few mhz faster. Leave to the real updates to real updates.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaurjyh View Post


    Dont forget that apple has also released Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.5







    About Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.5

    This update extends RAW file compatibility for Aperture 2, iPhoto '08, and iPhoto '09 for the following cameras:



    Nikon D3X

    Epson R-D1x



    It also addresses issues related to specific cameras and overall stability.



    They also released a Battery update for MacBooks -- both updates are already on our blogs, but we'll post them in a roundup shortly, as well.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post


    Give me a matte screen on the 15" version and I'd be interested



    I don't think Apple is going to release that in the near future. I don't understand the difference between the glossy and matte screen. its obvious that the 17' is the only one that will have that type of screen because its the high-end macbook pro.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post


    Give me a matte screen on the 15" version and I'd be interested



    yes me too and so other xxthousands of frustrated customer who do not upgrade.



    Did you notice the price of the 128GB SSD has dropped...although I do not see such a drop for the MBAir...seems that Apple is still milking that fat cow. Price for fashion ?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Dammit, the 2.53 MBP I just ordered last week is on the truck set for delivery today. Is the upgrade to 2.66 really worth it? Should I try to trade it in? I think there is a restocking fee or somesuch and I'm not sure it's worth the money. On top of that, the one I ordered is a custom build (I put a 7200 rpm hard drive in there). Please advise!
  • Reply 12 of 44
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post


    They came out in october, apple should be doing bumps like this all the time, is ridiculous to let people wait months for new models that only end up being a few mhz faster. Leave to the real updates to real updates.



    Another whiner classic..."Leave to the real updates to real updates".
  • Reply 13 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post


    Dammit, the 2.53 MBP I just ordered last week is on the truck set for delivery today. Is the upgrade to 2.66 really worth it? Should I try to trade it in? I think there is a restocking fee or somesuch and I'm not sure it's worth the money. On top of that, the one I ordered is a custom build (I put a 7200 rpm hard drive in there). Please advise!



    What's the price diff? I wouldn't change my order unless there was no price diff. The clockspeed upgrade will be most likely imperceptible.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    What's the price diff? I wouldn't change my order unless there was no price diff. The clockspeed upgrade will be most likely imperceptible.



    There was no price difference, except that I paid 50 bucks more for a faster hard drive, which makes me wonder if tradeins are even possible for custom builds. Other than the, the price is the same.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    jccjcc Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post


    There was no price difference, except that I paid 50 bucks more for a faster hard drive, which makes me wonder if tradeins are even possible for custom builds. Other than the, the price is the same.



    Go to any Apple store and they will swap it for you. Or you can do it by snail mail.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post


    Go to any Apple store and they will swap it for you. Or you can do it by snail mail.



    Is there a swap/restock fee and will they be able to give me a model with a faster HDD?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post


    FIRST POST!



    Its good to see an update for this. the negative is that these are brand new computers that just came out. But, I really can't complain. I will always be an Apple customer.



    Did anybody else notice the new wired keyboard without the numeric keypad?? Pretty cool if you ask me



    The smaller keyboard is the default, but it doesn't cost anything extra to get the full-size one. I'm glad of that - if the keyboard is wired, I would prefer the full-size, with the arrow keys and the number pad.



    I think some people will not notice, and get the small one by mistake, especially if they buy it in an Apple store - will the clerks tell customers they have a choice, and will they have boxed iMacs with either keyboard in stock?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    dewindjdewindj Posts: 31member
    I am glad I caught that update. I ordered my MacBook Pro yesterday, less than 24 hours ago. I was able to call up customer service and cancel the old order and create a new one for me with the new processor.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Computers Computers Computers!!!!

    Where's the upgrade to the cool stuff!!!??

    Where's my touch upgrade!?!



  • Reply 20 of 44
    So not Fair.. my MBP 2.53 is about 4 weeks old now...
Sign In or Register to comment.