Apple ready with second beta of Mac OS X "Juno"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Users still facing software issues while running the most current version of Mac OS X Leopard may take kindly to word that Mac OS X 10.5.7 is moving swiftly through its development cycle.

Apple as early as this weekend is expected to equip its vast developer community with a new build of the maintenance and security release, according to people familiar with the matter. The target build is said to be Mac OS X 10.5.7 build 9J27 -- again, this could change at any time.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker kept this forthcoming update largely in-house for 21 builds before unleashing build 9J22 to its third-party coders a little over one week ago.

As was reported at the time, that build arrived with nearly six dozen code corrections, a barebones weight of 440 megabytes, and requests that developers focus their testing efforts on over 20 core components, including AirPort, Mail, graphics drivers, and Time Machine.

Those people familiar with the software also mentioned a significant focus on addressing syncing issues that have plagued many of Leopard's standard, forward-facing apps, such as as Mail, AddressBook, and system preferences.

Mac OS X 10.5.7 was also publicly mentioned on Apple's online store as a prerequisite for the ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for owners of previous generation Mac Pros. After the blunder was widely reported, Apple changed the page to indicate that the card required 10.5.6, which is actually the case for the just announced Mac Pro, which will ship with a custom milestone of 10.5.6 that includes the appropriate driver support.

However, with standalone orders for the $349 card not expected to ship for another 5-7 weeks, its likely the original requirements on the page were accurate and that Mac OS X 10.5.7 will be released within that same time frame.

On an intriguing note, AppleInsider has also picked up hints that the 10.5.7 "point" release is internally referenced in some circles as "Juno" or project Juno. The precise significance of this code-name is unknown, though cursory checks suggests that OS X 10.5 Leopard point releases may be following naming conventions tied to Roman goddesses or the names of asteroids.

Similarly, earlier point releases from major OS X releases of years past were named after colors, where in one instance during the Mac OS 9 era they were named after red wines.

Saturday update: We're picking up that seed 9J27 was indeed released late Friday. Among the changes were about 10 new bug fixes targeting FileVault, Time Capsule, preference panes for Print & Fax and MobileMe, iCal sync, and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On an intriguing note, AppleInsider has also picked up hints that 10.5.7 point release is internally referenced in some circles as "Juno" or project Juno. The precise significance of this code-name is unknown, though cursory checks suggests that OS X 10.5 Leopard point releases may be following naming conventions tied to Roman goddesses or the names of asteroids.

Or pregnant teenagers. 10.5.8 will be code-named Bristol.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Award for the stating the obvious - but could Juno be in reference to this being the last update to Leopard before a suspected appearance of Snow Leopard at WWDC in........ you've guessed it..... JUNE!

(Ps Amen to the Bristol thing - Although I feel that Chatham may be a more likely name for 10.5.8)
  • Reply 3 of 37
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Apple as early as this weekend is expected to equip its vast developer community with a new build of the maintance and security release, according to people familiar with the matter.

Oops.

The build to this release is leaving some people orgasmic. Just like the weatherman talking about the first storm of the season. This news article is as exciting as talking about the weather.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post

Apple as early as this weekend is expected to equip its vast developer community with a new build of the maintance and security release, according to people familiar with the matter.

Oops.

The build to this release is leaving some people orgasmic. Just like the weatherman talking about the first storm of the season. This news article is as exciting as talking about the weather.

Or what about "After the bunder was widely reported, Apple changed the page to indicate that the card required 10.5.6,"

I find it very ironic that the article says it was a blunder, and mis-spells the very word. It made me chuckle a little inside.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Or what about "After the bunder was widely reported, Apple changed the page to indicate that the card required 10.5.6,"

I find it very ironic that the article says it was a blunder, and mis-spells the very word. It made me chuckle a little inside.

Yep. Love it when auto-spellcheck just stops working on its own in TextEdit.

Sorry bout that. There were quite a few errors

K
  • Reply 6 of 37
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    it seems the more news there is, the less actual news there is. This might be interesting to... nobody.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    apple is so creative with their naming system. Only these people spend huge amount of time thinking about what and why things are called the way they are.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    As long as my computer doesn't get knocked up I hope they get it here quickly, and fix remote disk while there at it.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaostheory7 View Post

(Ps Amen to the Bristol thing - Although I feel that Chatham may be a more likely name for 10.5.8)

Oops. I forgot "Jamie Lynn."
  • Reply 10 of 37
    j-sheaj-shea Posts: 10member
    I hope 10.5.7 fixes a sleep problem that 10.5.6 brought upon Kona LHe cards in the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Or pregnant teenagers. 10.5.8 will be code-named Bristol.

You have to admit it was a good movie. Someone should ask Apple though if they have a policy of naming their system fixed after pregnant teenagers. It would be funny to get the reaction on tape.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...Someone should ask Apple though if they have a policy of naming their system fixed after pregnant teenagers.

Dave

I actually think they're just homing in on Michael Cera flicks. Juno. "Nick" and "Nora" could be next. Of course, 10.6 will end up being "Superbad".http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif
  • Reply 13 of 37
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaostheory7 View Post

Award for the stating the obvious - but could Juno be in reference to this being the last update to Leopard before a suspected appearance of Snow Leopard at WWDC in........ you've guessed it..... JUNE!

You're probably right. Doesn't seem there'd be enough time to come out with 10.5.8 before WWDC and there wouldn't be any compelling hardware release to warrant it. A security release most likely but not a point release.

OSX 10.5 will only reach 10.5.9 and that one will come out around the same time Snow Leopard is released.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    In my experience with Leopard, it is the least stable OS released by Apple in quite some time.

Frankly, I do not expect Apple to fix it. With the impending release of Snow Leopard the resources necessary to fix it are unlikely to be devoted to the project.

But for some Leopard only apps I often wish I had remained with Tiger.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Someone should ask Apple though if they have a policy of naming their system fixed after pregnant teenagers.

"fixed", "pregnant teenagers"... eewwww...

I can see Apple Marketing formulating their ad campaign even now...

Free 'Spay or Neuter' of your teenager with a Apple OS X System Up-Grade Fix!
  • Reply 16 of 37
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    didn't know minor mac os releases had names also...
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Please fix so it in the Finder is possible to search a volume shared from Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server!

This broke in the 10.5.6 update...
  • Reply 18 of 37
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

In my experience with Leopard, it is the least stable OS released by Apple in quite some time.

Frankly, I do not expect Apple to fix it. With the impending release of Snow Leopard the resources necessary to fix it are unlikely to be devoted to the project.

But for some Leopard only apps I often wish I had remained with Tiger.

I often see people saying this but I can't for the life of me figure out how they are doing that comparison. Tiger was never wholly stable for me even up to 10.4.10.

Most of the issues I've encountered with Leopard have been 3rd party bad programming (hopefully grand central will solve some of this) & driver issues (NVIDIA has a horrible track record for stable drivers).
  • Reply 19 of 37
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

Please fix so it's in the Finder is possible to search a volume shared from Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server!

This broke in the 10.5.6 update...

I will agree that 10.5.6 seemed to have some bad eggs to it.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

I often see people saying this but I can't for the life of me figure out how they are doing that comparison. Tiger was never wholly stable for me even up to 10.4.10.

Most of the issues I've encountered with Leopard have been 3rd party bad programming (hopefully grand central will solve some of this) & driver issues (NVIDIA has a horrible track record for stable drivers).

As with all such observations, they are a matter of personal experience, which can be different for different people using different hardware, applications and so on. That said, OS 10.4.11 on several different Macs, including a 500 MHz G3 iMac, has proven to be "rock solid". It simply has been trouble free and has tolerated one user almost completely filling a hard drive without "blowing up" which left me simply amazed (and impressed). Yes, there were some issues with the earlier dot versions of Tiger.

My experience with Leopard has been a bumpy ride. Apple have not, in my opinion devoted adequate resources and attention to testing before releasing Leopard to retail and many of the dot releases since. One update even killed the ability to reinstall a combo updater which is "chicken soup for the Mac" if something odd is happening. There were permissions issues with the initial installations (and repairing permissions took forever). There have been runaway processes which could render the Mac almost unusable until they released sufficient CPU resources for other things to run. There are still problems with some processes. For example, "PubSubAgent" continues to crash on multiple machines. WindowServer and several common processes are getting better about not demanding inordinate resources, but are still an issue some times.

One thing that I can not specifically identify, but suspect is an OS problem is the entire machine locking up (not a KP). It could be an issue with one particular application, but the OS is not supposed to allow an application to do that.

Probably the most troublesome is the habit of various and sundry applications hanging. Force quitting is the only way out of this situation. This issue was reported to Apple by many people very early in Leopard's deployment and persists to this day. Almost everything from Safari to Word are affected.

I very much hope, but am doubtful, that Apple will devote adequate resources to bring Leopard up to standard before abandoning it to its fate as there are a great many Macs which will, I think, be end of life with Leopard.

Cheers