Chinese newspaper says Apple building a netbook

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    dmondmon Posts: 8member
    It's going to be a touch panel the size of a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Half an inch thick and very light. About a 13-14" diagonal screen (very thin bezel). Wifi and 3G. For text editing a full size onscreen keyboard will appear (bigger than a netbook keyboard). This new product category will eventually replace the laptop for most people - which will seem archaic in a few years. The iPhone is here to stay but this new product is a better size for surfing, email, text editing, music/photos/video, reading, remote controlling of media equipment, etc. It will run iPhone apps in floating widget-like windows. But there will be a new section on the AppStore for apps that are designed around this new product. Price: $1200-1500 and it will sell like hotcakes. It will be the next game changer for Apple.
  • Reply 62 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm not sure how you are coming to this conclusion. Microsoft has been trying to push tablets for nearly 10 years now. The market has yet to receive them well. The only tablets offered now are built into notebooks with a hinge that bends backwards so that a notebook can be used as a tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I just can't see Steve Jobs picking up his laptop (notebook) off the coffee table every time he comes back to the sofa from the bathroom or the kitchen. Laptops and hinges are an awkward device.

They're often overkill for business travel, and while the iPhone is great a 7" tablet would be better for Internet work. .

• Reply 63 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

Apple, as always, is advancing to the beat of it's own drummer.

Products don't get developed overnight nor do they arrive without years of development in many cases. Just because pea brain, loud mouth, know it alls (NOT) speculate guess and think they dictate or influence Apple's evolution, or know what Apple's got planned, doesn't necessarily mean squat.

It should be obvious by now "that loose lips sink ships" and that discreetness is exclusive of pundits. Apple would be mad to discuss openly it's intentions and plans...Did anyone really think that they could predict , guess or second guess Apple?

A Netbook/Tablet type device was only a matter of when, not if....

Look at how long Apple was developing OSX on Intel chips secretly along side the PPC Architecture (5 Years). And this was not even developing a brand new product, they were just making sure they had other venues other than Motorola...
  • Reply 64 of 141
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

I'd be one of the first to buy a netbook from Apple to 'compliment' my iMac, NOT replace it.

Hey, iMac, you look great. That Jonny Ive stylin' is untouchable! And those iApps? No one can touch you. You are da *bomb*!

(Perhaps you mean complement?)
  • Reply 65 of 141
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm not sure how you are coming to this conclusion. Microsoft has been trying to push tablets for nearly 10 years now. The market has yet to receive them well. The only tablets offered now are built into notebooks with a hinge that bends backwards so that a notebook can be used as a tablet.

"Microsoft has been trying..."

You just answered your own question.
  • Reply 66 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmon View Post

It's going to be a touch panel the size of a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Half an inch thick and very light. About a 13-14" diagonal screen (very thin bezel). Wifi and 3G. For text editing a full size onscreen keyboard will appear (bigger than a netbook keyboard). This new product category will eventually replace the laptop for most people - which will seem archaic in a few years. The iPhone is here to stay but this new product is a better size for surfing, email, text editing, music/photos/video, reading, remote controlling of media equipment, etc. It will run iPhone apps in floating widget-like windows. But there will be a new section on the AppStore for apps that are designed around this new product. Price: $1200-1500 and it will sell like hotcakes. It will be the next game changer for Apple.

No way, no how... way too big.

7-8" max, with an optional 'dock' that will provide...

- keyboard

- expansion capabilities... i/o, memory, external monitor, etc

It could end up being a stand-alone that doesn't require a 'mothership'.
  • Reply 67 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

MacTouch Mini

Mac iPaperback.
  • Reply 68 of 141
    What question was I asking?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"Microsoft has been trying..."

You just answered your own question.

• Reply 69 of 141
    Quote:

What question was I asking?

"I'm not sure how you are coming to this conclusion."

Implied that you were asking how Apple would pull off a tablet when everyone else had failed.

Ok, you didn't include a question mark. Sue me.
  • Reply 70 of 141
    Not often I agree with the mob on things, but I work in a retail store and know that we are selling MSI Winds as fast as we get them in, and they aren't bad machines. I think Apple will miss out if they don't get something out there for this market.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    Those of you waiting for a cheap Apple netbook should forget it. It's not going to happen.

What would make sense given Apple's parameters is a tablet with a 6" to 7" screen, capable of using a bluetooth keyboard, using a version of the iPhone OS. 640 x 960 resolution would make sense, or thereabouts. It won't run Mac OS/X.

A transreflective screen would be ideal; don't know if that's in the cards. That would require no backlight, but it would still consume more power than the kindle screen, since it would be color, with a high refresh rate.

It would do everything you can do with an iPhone, plus I would expect an iWork Touch application and some other desktopy stuff. I would also assume it would have 3G connectivity and GPS.

I would guess it would start at $699.

Amazon will support it. Their real business model is selling books, not Kindles. Newspapers and magazines might be interested in it as well.
  • Reply 72 of 141
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've made mention of it before, and it is my 2nd netbook. I bought an Acer Aspire One at Walmart knowing that OS X on it was a no go, but had at home an MSI Wind with OS X on it. I've also made many mentions that the iPhone is a great stand in, but not work if it is your only interneting device.

Cool.

Don't forget to watch Woz tonight, dancing the Merengue.
  • Reply 73 of 141
    No, the conclusion I was referencing was that laptop hinges are awkward and over kill for business travelers. If this were true then sales of tablets would have been better than they've been.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"I'm not sure how you are coming to this conclusion."

Implied that you were asking how Apple would pull off a tablet when everyone else had failed.

Ok, you didn't include a question mark. Sue me.

• Reply 74 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm just wondering how fast a 7-10" lighted, touch screen will drain a battery?

I'd almost expect them to come out with binocular computer goggles before they come out with a touch pad...
  • Reply 75 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Not often I agree with the mob on things, but I work in a retail store and know that we are selling MSI Winds as fast as we get them in, and they aren't bad machines. I think Apple will miss out if they don't get something out there for this market.

The issue isn't that they can be sold, but if there is enough profit to be made. Mine is great with OS X on it, but it's not a replacement for a full sized laptop, though fine for a temporary stand in.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmon View Post

Too big. 5.5" x 8.5" would make more sense technically and economically. Also, for most people, the iPhone will become or continue to be the closest thing to a portable computer they'll own.
  • Reply 77 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

AFAIAC, these so-called "netbooks" are a big step backward. Too big to stick in the pocket, too small to do real work... bleh. I think parents must be buying them for their kids. That's about it.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Don't forget to watch Woz tonight, dancing the Merengue.

I may have to pass on that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd almost expect them to come out with binocular computer goggles before they come out with a touch pad...

I really want a pair of those but the ones that work for the iPhone/iPod Touch seem too expensive, too low quality, and have to many attached parts to make them convenient.
  • Reply 79 of 141
    Imagine having a 10" Apple netbook, one with a touchscreen , SSD and spec 801.11n WiFi. Who won't buy one? I sure will - the price won't really matter, at least not to me since Apple products are cool, right?

However, wasn't WinTek the same company that said to work on a screen for the iPhone nano?
  • Reply 80 of 141
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

No, the conclusion I was referencing was that laptop hinges are awkward and over kill for business travelers. If this were true then sales of tablets would have been better than they've been.

Not to mention that they're harder to read on a toilet seat.