Chinese newspaper says Apple building a netbook

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

"As we look at the netbook category, that's a nascent category," Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said last fall. "As best as we can tell, there's not a lot of them being sold." ...from Tim Cook, who noted that netbooks are "principally based on hardware that's much less powerful than we think customers want, software technology that is not good, cramped keyboards, small displays." "We don't think people will be pleased with those products," he added. "It's a category we watch, we've got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they're happy with."

Which translates to prime meat for Apple. This is where the laptop market was before the PowerBooks, where the MP3 Player market was before the iPod, and where the smartphone market was before the iPhone.

Everyone is reading this as "...not for us" - I read this as "just watch..."

You're being very selective with your quotes there. You left out the ones about "we don't know how to make something in that price category and it not be junk." You can support almost any interpretation if you leave out all dissenting information. As has already been pointed out, Apple may produce something tiny, but if you're wanting a something from Apple in laptop form for five bucks, it's not gonna happen.
  • Reply 122 of 141
    daniel bdaniel b Posts: 73member
    Hi,

I think the leaked info is probably BS, but really enjoyed reading this thread.

Here's my take (basically, I agree with most people)

It would have to be well positioned between the iPhone/Touch and the Macbook, both in terms of price and function. Also, it could not too far from the netbooks in price, since it would address a similar usage scenario.

Size: 10". Think of a natural size for a two-hand device. 6" would be too close to the iPhone/Touch.

Price. Tough one. Guessing $600-700. On the other hand, the iPhone is $600 without subsidies.

OS: iPhone OS (slightly modified). Mac OS would make it a too cheap alt to the MacBook. Also, it obviously needs the touch interface in the iPhone OS.

Apps: Same as iPhone, plus iTunes. iLife and iWork (slightly reduced feature set). App Store.

Connectivity: WiFi, GPS, BT. 3G, but data only. It should be a compliment to the iPhone. Would be crazy not to include 3G data. Everybody's using 3G dongles with their netbooks. However, I think Apple will avoid selling it thru the Telecom operators. So. much easier to just launch it themselves globally, without all those negotiations.

Other: Built-in stand for flat surface and upright use. Optional BT keyboard and mouse.

Name: iTablet? Connects well with iPhone, with which it would share the same OS and appearance. Since it does not run Mac OS, "Mac" will not be part of the name. It's not a Mac.

Let's keep the speculation rampant!

Daniel
  • Reply 123 of 141
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    One of the things that makes me think Apple isn't going to produce a tablet (other than the fact we've been waiting so long, and other than the fact Jobs has said he thought the human to machine bandwidth was too small) is that it represents a third platform. Whether you give it the version of OS X in the Mac or the one in the iPhone, the programmers are writing to a completely different platform. Say they used the iPhone OS X, using UIKit instead of AppKit. So far, Apple is really keen on having a single platform target, with a single expected screen size and such. An Apple Tablet will obviously have a higher rez screen than an iPhone. You wouldn't just recompile for iTablet. It would be a significant re-write. Say they used Mac OS X, using AppKit instead of UIKit. There's already an Axiotron Modbook. People asking for an iTablet keep saying they want a "real tablet."

I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm pretty certain I'd buy one within the first ten minutes of the Apple Store going online. But I'm sure this is an issue in Apple.
  • Reply 124 of 141
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    I would definitely buy one. I just recently got myself an HP netbook but would give it up in a second.
  • Reply 125 of 141
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is, or can be, a cell phone, and with video-conferencing built in. That would certainly put some distance between it and the rest of the pack.

Sorry, but Apple is BEHIND the PACK already in terms of video conferencing

Nokia has been doing this for a long time. Nokia already has QiK, Kyte and now WebEx via Cisco on its devices with good two way cameras (one in front AND back) including flash and 5MP zeiss camera.

Apple iPhone can't even multitask unless you jailbreak it and even then the unreplaceable battery dies in just a few hours.
  • Reply 126 of 141
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Knowing Apple they will release a netbook with integrated 3G later this year. In Apple's case however be tied to a carrier for 5 years and will only be sold through that carrier.

You will pay $499 for the netbook (So Apple can advertise a $499 netbook) but you will end up paying $80 a month for your 3G service (say $30 of subsidy). So your cheap Atom Netbook ends up costing you $1,220.00, or 3x the cost of a similar specced eeePC.

This of course is only a guess but it certainly sounds like Apple to me!!
  • Reply 127 of 141
    I am Chinese. I don't believe anything I say much less a Chinese newspaper.
  • Reply 128 of 141
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is, or can be, a cell phone, and with video-conferencing built in. That would certainly put some distance between it and the rest of the pack.

What pack?

You mean the pack who have been making notebooks with integrated 3G options and cameras for years now?

Or maybe People like Motorola who 6 years ago had a 3G device with built in camera for video calling?

Believe me, Apple are well behind the pack on this one.
  • Reply 129 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Apple iPhone can't even multitask unless you jailbreak it and even then the unreplaceable battery dies in just a few hours.

That isn't true. Only 3rd-party apps aren't allowed to run in the background. And yes, preserving the battery is the reason why Apple has enacted this rule. The iPhone's battery lasts longer than most phones in the industry, except for some CDMA-based Blackberrys when comparing their respective 3G, but that is to be expected as CDMA2000 will use CDMA for calls while UMTS will use UMTS for calls. No soft handshake in the technology.
  • Reply 130 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its too bad none of that stopped Nokia's profits from plunging 50% and prevent their need to lay off 1000 people from their workforce.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Nokia has been doing this for a long time. Nokia already has QiK, Kyte and now WebEx via Cisco on its devices with good two way cameras (one in front AND back) including flash and 5MP zeiss camera.

• Reply 131 of 141
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its too bad none of that stopped Nokia's profits from plunging 50% and prevent their need to lay off 1000 people from their workforce.

And it also didn't help Nokia from pulling out of Japan.
  • Reply 132 of 141
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I saw what you did there!

You made everyone think that you thought these people were "know it alls," but then at the last moment, you added "NOT" -- throwing all of us for a loop!

Well done!

Hey, he's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

How've you been, Rip?

• Reply 133 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I don't consider those hybrids tablets. A true tablet, Apple-thin, is a different form-factor. Maybe not as thin as an iPod touch, but in the ballpark.

Not sure what you're saying - but I agree tablets in their current half-baked form haven't caught on. Apple could do for them what the iPhone did for smartphones. Sounds more than feasible to me.

I agree that the failure of current Windows tablets to catch on is of no significance. They just haven't done it right. For one thing, they are too big. But mostly the usability is ackward, and the devices are quite costly.

It's like cell phone browsing. Till the iPhone came along, nobody had done it right. Anybody who thought "cell phone browsing won't catch on" was missing the point. You need to understand why something isn't catching on. Jobs is a master at this.
  • Reply 134 of 141
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 135 of 141
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Alright, I'll throw in my two cents:

While I would love an Apple netbook, I think we all know that it won't happen at netbook prices. a 10" air would rock, but would likely cost as much as a Macbook.

Also, while I think tablets are pretty pointless to most people (they work for people in construction, medical, etc.), this might be how they go. A 10"-11" tablet, with minimal ports (think Air), would likely work for Apple.

I hate the idea that it would be a large iPhone/iPod Touch, since a tablet that big wouldn't fit in your pocket at all, so it be stupid to use it for an iPod. However, as an internet appliance, it would be great.

That being said, what if it were more of a Kindle? Like any piece of hardware Apple puts out, you have to look at software. If books, magazines and newspapers were sold in a digital format through iTunes, it could result in a new source of revenue. I love the feel of a paper as much as anyone, but who wouldn't want that on a plane or subway? Besides, with multitouch, panning and zooming would be a breeze.

This could be another situation, like the MP3 player, where Apple doesn't invent the device, just perfects it. It could add more revenue through iTunes, would give Apple control over another digital media market, and put the Apple logo on just one more facet of people's lives. Like I said, I'm not a tablet guy, but if they did something like this, I think it would sell very well.
  • Reply 136 of 141
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    First, Apple is a software company that coinsidently happens to make hardware to run their software - with the white macbook retired a 700 to 900 "netbook" is plausible.

As an aside my dream would be an insertable monitor for an itouch, iphone and (or) an NB?, MB or MBP. A concept I ran across a year or so ago!
  • Reply 137 of 141
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

about frikkin' time.

oh did I mention I was first?

What an ironic screen name you have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Quote:

What an ironic screen name you have.

Well said.

And over hear children beside the lizards and snakes we have two Hymenoptera Formicidae.They evolved from wasp-like ancestors. They form colonies that range in size from a few dozen predatory individuals and have a bad sense of humor.
  • Reply 138 of 141
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    If I were Steve for a few months, this is what I would get the Apple engineers to come up with.

Intel Atom2 1.8GHz dual core CPU

Northbridge integrated Intel GMA950 GPU (nVidia GeForce 9400 if possible)

2GB RAM

32GB/64GB SSD HDD

Mac OS X.6 "Snow Leopard"

Dual 7" high pixel density displays - with one side as MultiTouch glossy backlit LCD display, and other side as e-Ink "read only" display with 16 Grey levels. Both panels to support resolution of 1080x768 - should support basic HD Video natively, and allow small panel on top for status. On the e-Ink panel, the high resolution will make the text a lot easier to read.

WiFi B/G/N

3G/GSM support - with no restrictions on usage.

Full BlueTooth 2.1 stack

3MP iSight

Full support for USB over wireless

Non-replaceable high density battery - for about 5 hours life on the LCD and unlimited use on e-Ink

Device dimensions of 5" x 7" - should easily fit into coat/jacket pockets, and possibly even trouser pockets. Minimal stainless steel/black bevel on left/right/top - extra bevel on bottom for minimal buttons, camera, speakers, microphone, etc.

Integrated Leather book-style cover that supports stylus based drawing/handwriting input on LCD side, and solar film panel for charging on e-Ink side. If you read a book for 3 hours in bright light, should be able to use the computer for 30 minutes. The e-Ink display can also be used as a desktop calendar/task/memo pad, so that the device gets charged during the day for free. 9 hours of leaving the device on your desk should give you 1.5 hours of use.

HDD partitioned into System Space and User Space. Everything in User Space real time synced to iDisk on MobileMe. Automatic TimeCapsule functionality provided within MobileMe. Remote wipe of User Space from MobileMe to handle security and confidentiality in case device is lost. If device is found, should be able to restore entire User Space just by logging back into MobileMe from the device.

Complete access to the AppStore - user can run multiple apps simultaneously in overlapping windows, or run the app in full screen mode, and switch between apps with multi-touch gestures. AppStore is the ONLY way to get any app to the device.

Ultra thin form factor - about 1/3rd of an inch thick. Weight about 1.5 pounds including the leather case.

Price $999 outright

$599 with $40 per month data plan for 24 months (voice optional addon)

$100 lower for the 32GB model

Unlocked device on outright purchase. In case of contract, device can be unlocked at any time with a deposit proportional to remaining period of contract ($400 deposit to unlock right away, or $200 to unlock after a year, etc.). The deposit amount can be used to offset the monthly bill at the end of the contract. So if you have a $400 deposit, the bill for the last 10 months of contract period will be adjusted against the deposit. In case of cancellation prior to the end of contract, the proportional part of the deposit would be forfeited.

Actual cost of manufacturing this device would be around $600 - Apple would get about 66% margins. Extra margins to compensate for the potential loss of sales of MacBooks.

Ideally should be launched in August - 3 months after the Atom2 is released, and with enough time to ramp up before the holiday season starts.

Would you buy a device like this, at the prices and contract terms mentioned above?
  • Reply 139 of 141
    rgt000rgt000 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

If I were Steve for a few months, this is what I would get the Apple engineers to come up with.

Intel Atom2 1.8GHz dual core CPU

Northbridge integrated Intel GMA950 GPU (nVidia GeForce 9400 if possible)

2GB RAM

32GB/64GB SSD HDD

Mac OS X.6 "Snow Leopard"

Dual 7" high pixel density displays - with one side as MultiTouch glossy backlit LCD display, and other side as e-Ink "read only" display with 16 Grey levels. Both panels to support resolution of 1080x768 - should support basic HD Video natively, and allow small panel on top for status. On the e-Ink panel, the high resolution will make the text a lot easier to read.

WiFi B/G/N

3G/GSM support - with no restrictions on usage.

Full BlueTooth 2.1 stack

3MP iSight

Full support for USB over wireless

Non-replaceable high density battery - for about 5 hours life on the LCD and unlimited use on e-Ink

Device dimensions of 5" x 7" - should easily fit into coat/jacket pockets, and possibly even trouser pockets. Minimal stainless steel/black bevel on left/right/top - extra bevel on bottom for minimal buttons, camera, speakers, microphone, etc.

Integrated Leather book-style cover that supports stylus based drawing/handwriting input on LCD side, and solar film panel for charging on e-Ink side. If you read a book for 3 hours in bright light, should be able to use the computer for 30 minutes. The e-Ink display can also be used as a desktop calendar/task/memo pad, so that the device gets charged during the day for free. 9 hours of leaving the device on your desk should give you 1.5 hours of use.

HDD partitioned into System Space and User Space. Everything in User Space real time synced to iDisk on MobileMe. Automatic TimeCapsule functionality provided within MobileMe. Remote wipe of User Space from MobileMe to handle security and confidentiality in case device is lost. If device is found, should be able to restore entire User Space just by logging back into MobileMe from the device.

Complete access to the AppStore - user can run multiple apps simultaneously in overlapping windows, or run the app in full screen mode, and switch between apps with multi-touch gestures. AppStore is the ONLY way to get any app to the device.

Ultra thin form factor - about 1/3rd of an inch thick. Weight about 1.5 pounds including the leather case.

Price $999 outright

$599 with $40 per month data plan for 24 months (voice optional addon)

$100 lower for the 32GB model

Unlocked device on outright purchase. In case of contract, device can be unlocked at any time with a deposit proportional to remaining period of contract ($400 deposit to unlock right away, or $200 to unlock after a year, etc.). The deposit amount can be used to offset the monthly bill at the end of the contract. So if you have a $400 deposit, the bill for the last 10 months of contract period will be adjusted against the deposit. In case of cancellation prior to the end of contract, the proportional part of the deposit would be forfeited.

Actual cost of manufacturing this device would be around $600 - Apple would get about 66% margins. Extra margins to compensate for the potential loss of sales of MacBooks.

Ideally should be launched in August - 3 months after the Atom2 is released, and with enough time to ramp up before the holiday season starts.

Would you buy a device like this, at the prices and contract terms mentioned above?

I'd buy it if it if:

1 it was lighter so that it was easy to carry while travelling

2 had a fold-up bluetooth keyboard like the Nokia

3 had GPS and maps for travelling

4 had a built in phone for emails and internet
  • Reply 140 of 141
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

To Be

Or Not To Be based on the Air or the iPhone

THAT is the question.

What do you think excites Apple the most? If I say what I think you'd all laugh....

Hi all.

Does anyone think apple will release this? I work in IT and we are issue white MacBooks with pro's and MacBook pro in offices. I need a small screen, good screen like mbp and air with FireWire and light weight. Basically a mbp but 13-12 inches and very light.

My thinking is, with all the cloud computing and what looks to be a huge affair for windows 7 while apple has snow and 10.7, will we se missing model and perhaps the return of the PowerBook 13?

It would also make for a great field edit/audio machine but thy could release two models one with discrete GPU the other on board and have 2 price points. Both would need FireWire.

Thoughts?