Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology

Comments

• Reply 201 of 341
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This new shuffle is just a diversionary tactic to keep us all from talking about Woz, the co-founder of Apple, and his dancing debut on Dancing with the Stars. Now that's a real news thread.

Heh, heh. This update is incremental, but it will give them better margins due to smaller form factor (less materials) and a necessary upgrade on the headphones. Pretty smart move for them to keep squeezing every nickel out of these low-end lines.
  • Reply 202 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Given its size, they should have just built the whole thing into the earphones -- like those hook-over-the-ear type headphones. Just one wire connecting ear to ear. Three touch pads on one earpiece for volume up, volume down, and control, plus a power switch on the other earpiece. Sorta like the Oakley Thump, only without the sunglasses.

That's coming next. The iPod shuffle earwax edition.
  • Reply 203 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

This is probably the most horrible design I've seen of the Shuffle yet. I think in this case, form does not triumph over function. Apple is always hell-bent on making their gadgets smaller and smaller, but seriously? First, it looks like a simple boring brick of aluminum from the front. They should have at least stuck the Apple logo on the front and not the clip. Second, the controls being on their headphones is simply ridiculous, and all that this is going to do is piss off those who don't prefer Apple's headphones (at least until 3rd parties come out with their own variations in whatever form), but I think its principle. Why, if someone buys this new Shuffle, is Apple essentially forcing those who already own other premium headphones to go and shell out additonal money for a connector (surprise surprise?), or a new pair of headphones.

Expanding upon what I said, congrats, the Shuffle is now scratchable, because the clip is made of polished metal, same as the iPod. Good luck getting a case for that.
  • Reply 204 of 341
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    These work on the iPhone and Touch, I would think they just might work on the shuffle.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TU...1&s=topSellers
  • Reply 205 of 341
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

1. three taps

2. nothing, but its an overused icon that's been copied (and it wasn't a full blown click wheel, right?)

3. incase you have songs that have long, similar intros (like some techno/dance). And remember, only if you hold down the button for a while will it even say the name... have you watched the demo?

Has anybody watched? I doubt it because more than a page of comments posted to this thread wouldn't even exist if they had. Maybe ADD is a real problem for people familar with this forum.

Dave
  • Reply 206 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I think it will be more useful for knowing which of the multiple playlists you're selecting. That's the one enticing feature about this thing to me: multiple playlists.

Navigating 1GB of music on my old Shuffle (since bequeathed to my girlfriend) was enough of a pain; I can't imagine dealing with up to 4GB of music without multiple playlists.

Playlists help, but don't make up for the horrid controls on this thing. Double and triple-click? No thanks. Complete fail. Sticking with my previous gen shuffle.
  • Reply 207 of 341
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Expanding upon what I said, congrats, the Shuffle is now scratchable, because the clip is made of polished metal, same as the iPod. Good luck getting a case for that.

Why would you want a case for such a small device? Cases aren't made for it as adding a case defeats the purpose of the size. The clip is the only part that is polished and as such it isn't visible, the rest of the device is a brushed aluminum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belligerence View Post

Playlists help, but don't make up for the horrid controls on this thing. Double and triple-click? No thanks. Complete fail. Sticking with my previous gen shuffle.

I don't understand why this is such a major issue. Clicking through tracks has been available on the iPhone and iPod Touch for years. Using it as the only method of operation may be an issue for some, however decreasing the size by eliminating devices controls seems to be the next logical evolutionary step. As the shuffle is Apple's entry level and smallest iPod, if the controls do not suit a certain demographic then the Nano, Classic and Touch models may be better suited. The shuffle is meant to be just that, a shuffle. It never appealed to me as playlists and other iPod standard functions were not available, however with this new system these functions are now available.

Just as any new HID, the general public may be split in approval opinions. However, over time people will become accustomed to this new method of input control and the complaints will fade away.
  • Reply 208 of 341
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

From what I've read, they will still sell the 2G design. I'm definitely happy about that, as it was the best gym/jogging MP3 player I've ever found. Small, light, and the controls on the unit make it convenient. I always have the cable running inside my shirt so it isn't flopping around while running, with the shuffle clipped to the bottom of my shirt. The controls on the headphones will be annoying, nit just because you need to play hide and seek to change songs (I have a short attention span when jogging), but because it will add some weight (not much, but every bit counts) to the cord, which could be annoying.

In other words, Apple drags their heels with updating their desktops, but then give us an update no one was asking for. Point?

I do pretty much the same thing. With the cord inside my shirt, I can pretty much guarantee that these new headphones would fail about two weeks from sweat getting inside the controls (how well sealed is it?). I clip my shuffle to my shorts, so I know exactly where the controls are and can easily change volume, skip songs, etc without having to fumble around for a control bouncing around on the cord.

The previous 1 GB one is still available at the same price, but it appears the 2 GB is discontinued. It's not on the clearance page yet, but I'll be keeping an eye out and plan on getting a spare of the previous gen shuffle for when my current one dies.
  • Reply 209 of 341
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Compatible headphones will come out for the Shuffle as will adapters so I'm not sure where the ignorance in this thread comes from. Nor do I understand where all the mis-information about the operation comes from.

To me the real problem with this Shuffle is it's max temperatures, both operating and non operating. If these are indeed functional limits then people will have problems with this device. People need to read the spec page and other info about this device. What happens when the device is in an environment that is hotter than 95 degs F?

Dave
  • Reply 210 of 341
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe because the device target audience never considered sound quality as important feature?!

People who care about sound quality usually buy high end headphones and if you can spend a $200 on a high end larger headphone then there is no point of buying a shuffle since the main feature of the shuffle is its small size and relatively low cost.

Why anyone who doesn't care about sound quality would concern themselves with ANY device that exists for the sole purpose of being listened to is beyond me. Being small and less expensive than a higher capacity unit has nothing to do with my desire to hear music at as good a quality as I can afford via the headphones.

I have a 120 gig classic I bought for it's capacity to attach to a behind-the-dash ipod controller unit that works with the JVC HD radio I put in my car; and to use via charging doc and on-screen interface with a Denon A/V receiver in my HT.

I bought a shuffle to take to the gym, biking, and jogging because it's small and won't get beat up attached to the neck of my T-Shirt. I didn't check the feature to limit transfer to the unit to 128 bps. I use the same pair of headphones ($400 Ultimate Ears Triple.fi) I bought to listen to the 120 gig classic late at night to avoid bothering my neighbors as I do with my shuffle. Those headphones are super pricey, but after investing in all the music I own and as much as I listen to music, they were worth every penny. They sound fantastic. The playback device is the starting point, crappy headphones will only make whatever shortcomings the device has in reproduction worse. The cost of the headphones has no relevance to how much I spent on the playback device?I still want good sound not to mention comfort. Your argument is like saying buying a $1200 26" NEC monitor to use with a mini is useless. Not so, the image quality you are willing to pay for or need has nothing to do with how much you spent on the CPU. Your eyes still work the same so a good quality monitor you can calibrate is important no matter what you attach it to.

I'm glad I bought the shuffle when I did. Sound quality aside, Apple earphones hurt my ears, or fall out if I set them in a way that is comfortable. They are useless to me. I would have liked to have higher capacity, but that's not what I bought it for. If the new shuffle was the only thing around 2 months ago when I bought the one I have, I'd have passed on it. The new model is thinner, but taller, adding an adapter would make the thing even taller. Aside from the extra 2 gigs?I don't see the point. The speech feature seems like software they could ad to any iPod if they wanted to. Apple leaves me scratching my head more and more these days.
  • Reply 211 of 341
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I think that Apple are looking a couple of models ahead for the shuffle and imagining that the shuffle will become so small and light that the earbuds will form the bulk of it. With this latest change they are trying out some of the features that would then become necessary. The move to controls on the earbuds is a stepping stone feature by which they will research the ergonomics of a device that effectively has no mass.
  • Reply 212 of 341
    Quote:

Not the sound of the voice , the sound quality of the music, for godsake!!

chil-lax! Sheez
  • Reply 213 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Keep it - no change - still great.

Are AI forum frequenters having a bad morning? I have never read so much bitching about nothing for a long time. Or are you guys just genetically pre-disposed to see the negative with any given situation?

These guys aren't married, which means there are a lot of "lucky" girls out there!

• Reply 214 of 341
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    okay, if the clickwheel really has to go: why not adding a macbook inspired battery indicator on the front?!

this way, you'll get an idea on how much juice there is.
  • Reply 215 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

These guys aren't married, which means there are a lot of "lucky" girls out there!

How are they lucky? Because no one is paying attention to them?
  • Reply 216 of 341
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Not immediately anyway.

From CNET

"The only controls on the device itself are the on/off switch and the shuffle/llnear switch, Joswiak said. Apple will ship its own in-ear headphones with the Shuffle, but third-parties will be able to make their own headphones that have the controls, and they'll also make adapters that will let you use the controls with existing headphones, he said. {Joswiak}"

Apple should have offered an adapter of their own from day one of making the main unit available for sale. Without one, it's a poke in the eye to those of us who've invested in higher quality headphones. Sigh (looks to sky with clinched fist and screams, "JOOOOOOBS!" in a Steven Colbert imitation).

Really? Just because you can't buy what you want on day one?

Just because you might have to wait a few weeks? Do you think your

investment quality headphones are going to break down before you

can get the accessory you need?
  • Reply 217 of 341
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Bummer on putting the controls on the cord -- I've had my iphone (3G) since August, and I've already killed the headphones that came with it by keeping them in my pocket. The inevitable fate of all headphones I own. Why? because I don't listen to music all the time, but I like having it available when I want it. That would be the whole reason I like small form-factor ipods, so that they can sit in my pocket and be forgotten, until I want music, or an audiobook (having a dedicated shuffle for an audiobook works suprisingly well).

The other issue is, what if I want to pipe my shuffle into the stereo at my lab? what do I do then?

I jsut don't see this as an improvement, and I generally like these updates.

All that said, I hope it sells like gangbusters -- I've already lost over 25K in AAPL in the past 12 months (past two days have been nice, though), and I'd like to see some recoup.

We'll just have to see...
  • Reply 218 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

Why would you want a case for such a small device? Cases aren't made for it as adding a case defeats the purpose of the size. The clip is the only part that is polished and as such it isn't visible, the rest of the device is a brushed aluminum.

My point exactly- they don't make many cases for the Shuffle. The iPod has had a shiny rear forever, and despite it being the backside, this has not stopped masses of people from buying cases and protective film so that their baby doesn't receive the slightest scratch. Moreover, I think that those who own Shuffles tend to be a little more free-wielding with them (unconsciously) than those who own other iPod models, in that given the Shuffles' size and weight, they are much more likely to be tossed happlessly on furniture, fall off their owners' clothes, or be treated roughly in general. Just watch all the complaints flow in.
  • Reply 219 of 341
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Moreover, I think that those who own Shuffles tend to be a little more free-wielding with them (unconsciously) than those who own other iPod models, in that given the Shuffles' size and weight, they are much more likely to be tossed happlessly on furniture, fall off their owners' clothes, or be treated roughly in general.

Exactly. It's meant to be tossed around and abused.

Quote:

Just watch all the complaints flow in.

I've been watching them all day it seems, it amazes me how much people complain...

A good friend of mine is from Croatia, and she jokes that when she first came to the states the technology was overwhelming. She used to wash her clothes by hand in cold water and never even had a cell phone, and is to this day amazed at everything technological. It's amazing how spoiled we've become.
  • Reply 220 of 341
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:

At the gym my headphones go down the back of my neck, not the front, due to sweat and they get in the way- so this is totally worthless to me, not to mention that I know what I want to hear in the gym- the music. I don't want voices speaking to me- that's why I wear headphones.

Many of those that "go to the gym" wear their fashionable new iPod right out where it can be seen to impress all the other "go to the gym" people. Most of the time it's not even turned on, it's just conversation bait. Same as their $200 trainers and designer label "go to the gym" clothes.

Funny how so many forum-crawlers are suddenly fitness buffs.