Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology

Comments

• Reply 181 of 341
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks great- but what does it sound like??

Now that you're more or less stuck with Apple headphones, like crap.

Apple has gone from being a leader in quality to the most successful company out there at making stuff that's merely "good enough" for the masses.

I can't get Apple headphones to stay in my ears at all so they aren't even "good enough" for me.

Even if I was interested in the new Shuffle it wouldn't make up for the fact that they lost a C$2100 sale because the new iMac is still only a dual core machine with re-named 2007 graphics.
  • Reply 182 of 341
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

hmmm, so it cant be used with anything other than Apple headphones?

Someone will make an adapter for regular headphones, wouldn't take much I wouldn't think.
  • Reply 182 of 341
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Excuses, excuses. Apple takes away and you drink it. Keep drinking.

I did not buy a shuffle and will not buy a shuffle not because it lacks features but because they have another device that offer what I want. I don't know why you feel like Apple (or any other company) should offer the same features across all products?! As I said before, if this product does not fit your needs then move on and find another one that does. You might see it as taking features away but some may see it as keeping cost down and size smaller.
  • Reply 184 of 341
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I did not buy a shuffle and will not buy a shuffle not because it lacks features but because they have another device that offer what I want. I don't know why you feel like Apple (or any other company) should offer the same features across all products?! As I said before, if this product does not fit your needs then move on and find another one that does. You might see it as taking features away but some may see it as keeping cost down and size smaller.

Shuffle is really designed with the casual music listener in mind, someone who just like having it in the background when at work or on a jog. If you want more get a nano, or go with some other music player. Now that iTunes is all plus you should be able to convert any purchased content to mp3 & use whatever player you want.
  • Reply 185 of 341
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

If you hate Apple so much, why are you a rabid poster on a fan based website?

Who hates Apple. I have many Apple products for over 10 years. In fact I'll be buying a MacMini this weekend. If anything I want Apple to get better and better products.

This new shuffle is just a diversionary tactic to keep us all from talking about Woz, the co-founder of Apple, and his dancing debut on Dancing with the Stars. Now that's a real news thread.
  • Reply 186 of 341
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoney35 View Post

Seriously. It's amazing how much complaining goes on here. I'm pretty much sick of it by now. It's fine to bring up and discuss the pros and cons of products, but the complaining is what irritates me. By how much people complain on here, I'm starting to question their age/maturity level. You know it's getting bad when people are complaining about products you know they don't even use! To top it off, there are definitely a few "members" that clearly looooove to troll almost every topic and post negative crap, just to get reactions from people. I wish the admins would crack down on these people more. Or at least make a way for people to ignore or block certain members on the forums.

Agreed... and I hate when complainers end comments with jabs such as "keep drinking the kool aid". WTF is that? LOL
  • Reply 187 of 341
    Quote:

Keep defending why the sound degraded from the 1G to the 2G. Gulp faster.
  • Reply 188 of 341
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Keep defending why the sound degraded from the 1G to the 2G. Gulp faster.

I think I have been talking to a wall all this time
  • Reply 189 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

Agreed... and I hate when complainers end comments with jabs such as "keep drinking the kool aid". WTF is that? LOL

Haha, I know! It's because they know that their argument is bogus. So all that they are left with is some weak attempt at trying to make you look like you've been "tricked" by Apple to think the product is good.
  • Reply 190 of 341
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:

I feel the same way
  • Reply 191 of 341
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    One important thing to consider!

The USB cable that comes with the new shuffle is only 45mm long, which is tiny.

They are not including a long cable which is a bit of a pain.

Have a look at this :-

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC003?mco=NDI3MzM3NQ

You can buy a longer cable if you want one. Here is what the text says:-

The Apple iPod shuffle USB Cable connects your iPod shuffle (3rd generation) to your computer's USB port for syncing and battery charging and to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a wall outlet.

Two cables are included, both with a 3.5 mm jack on one end and a USB connector on the other. The shorter cable is the same length as the USB cable that comes with iPod shuffle. The longer cable is perfect for connecting iPod shuffle to the back of a desktop computer or to a power adapter plugged into a wall outlet.

Compatible with new iPod shuffle (3rd generation).

What's in the Box

One Apple iPod shuffle USB cable, 45 mm long

One Apple iPod shuffle USB cable, 1000 mm long

Compatibility Information

The Apple iPod shuffle USB cable is compatible only with iPod shuffle (3rd

generation)
  • Reply 192 of 341
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

1. Three taps on remote vs Three taps on remote - been there for ages. the buttons were nearly superfluous...

2. completely skipped over this one, didn't you... I already said there was nothing wrong with the clickwheel - you must be one of those "why do I need an iPod Touch and an iPhone?" people

3. only if you need to know what song you're on can you cue it up. its not gonna play before every song. I make playlists for my G/F all the time for her nano... sometimes she loves a song that I got her and wants to know who it is. Genius does this for me, too (finds songs I don't put in a playlist myself). I have dozens of Genius playlists for the 85GB of music I have in my iTunes Library (plus the other 105GB @ home - completely different stuff). Sometimes I want to know the name of the song. On the old shuffle, there was no way in knowing. Now there is.

1. nono, it's only one click on the clickwheel to go to the previous song!

2. it's very sad Apple kills the concept of a clickwheel. It's such a straightforward user interface.

3. why do you wanna know the name of a song? will you still remember it a few songs later?

The shuffle lifestyle is about surprise. It is a very basic music player to enjoy your music on very unusual places. If you want all the gadgets: get yourself a nano. Or an iPhone
  • Reply 193 of 341
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The new one is OK, but so far I think the previous gen tiny shuffle with the controls on the body and clip is the best model so far for anyone who uses the shuffle for a workout or running. I don't really care for controls on the headphones, and I don't have enough music on the player to warrant a talking "DJ" either...

I'm guessing they added the synthesized voice so they can add Kindle-like audiobook functionality for PDFs or text... maybe.
  • Reply 194 of 341
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

hmmm, so it cant be used with anything other than Apple headphones?

Not immediately anyway.

From CNET

"The only controls on the device itself are the on/off switch and the shuffle/llnear switch, Joswiak said. Apple will ship its own in-ear headphones with the Shuffle, but third-parties will be able to make their own headphones that have the controls, and they'll also make adapters that will let you use the controls with existing headphones, he said. {Joswiak}"

Apple should have offered an adapter of their own from day one of making the main unit available for sale. Without one, it's a poke in the eye to those of us who've invested in higher quality headphones. Sigh (looks to sky with clinched fist and screams, "JOOOOOOBS!" in a Steven Colbert imitation).
  • Reply 195 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

I feel the same way

That's Ok 'cause I feel like I've been talking to a broken Kool-aid dispenser at one of those Subway take-outs. Somebody please fix it already.
  • Reply 196 of 341
    Quote:

That's Ok 'cause I think I've been talking to a broken Kool-aid dispenser at one of those Subway take-outs. Somebody please fix it already.
  • Reply 197 of 341
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Watch the video and note the "robotic" voice when syncing to a PC compared with the voice of Mac. Pretty cool

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/gui...ur/medium.html

I imagine a future feature where the artists themselves announce their tracks. Only on iTunes.
  • Reply 198 of 341
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

1. nono, it's only one click on the clickwheel to go to the previous song!

oh wait, it's actually two clicks on the old shuffle. One to go to the beginning of the song that was playing, and one to go to the previous song.

So that makes three clicks on the new shuffle to go to the beginning of a song. And another three clicks to go to the previous song?! So, that makes SIX, 6 clicks in total

• Reply 199 of 341
    This is probably the most horrible design I've seen of the Shuffle yet. I think in this case, form does not triumph over function. Apple is always hell-bent on making their gadgets smaller and smaller, but seriously? First, it looks like a simple boring brick of aluminum from the front. They should have at least stuck the Apple logo on the front and not the clip. Second, the controls being on their headphones is simply ridiculous, and all that this is going to do is piss off those who don't prefer Apple's headphones (at least until 3rd parties come out with their own variations in whatever form), but I think its principle. Why, if someone buys this new Shuffle, is Apple essentially forcing those who already own other premium headphones to go and shell out additonal money for a connector (surprise surprise?), or a new pair of headphones.
  • Reply 200 of 341
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Given its size, and given that you're stuck with Apple's earbuds anyway, they should have just built the whole thing into the earphones -- like those hook-over-the-ear type headphones. Just one wire connecting ear to ear. Three touch pads on one earpiece for volume up, volume down, and control, plus a power switch on the other earpiece. Sorta like the Oakley Thump, only without the sunglasses.