Apple releases iTunes 8.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's the old Party Shuffle paired with Genius to make it more intelligent instead of having you setup a playlist ahead of time.

Ah...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Obligatory... But is it snappier???

iTunes Store seems snappier...!
  • Reply 22 of 47
    I have an old Quicksilver at home I'm using as a media server for my ATV. My current media collection is 90+ days worth of movies, TV shows, music, audiobooks, etc (and growing). and iTunes can really drag at times. Yesterday I was going through my movies and came across 20 out of 160 movies that had spontaniously become corrupted. Some in the last two weeks.

The release notes indicate better performance with large libraries and I was wondering if anyone has applied this to a large library yet and given it a test drive. Are the improvements supposed to be related to speed, stability, or maybe dealing with spontanious corruption? I'll probably wait until this weekend to upgrade since I don't want to risk the stability of my library until I'm sure it won't hose my system.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What is special about the iTunes Plus encoding that iTunes couldn't encode before? I thought it was 256kbps encoded constant bit rate, and the program already had that for a long time. The only thing I can think of is that it's now a pre-made setting that's in the drop-down list instead of something that you manually enter as a custom setting.

Good.

I'd say this was overdue.

In 8.1 there is a new iTunes Plus option is the import seeting drop down, it is the new default. It appears to the 256mps, VBR.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    sc54321sc54321 Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

After updating to iTunes 8.1 and updating the Remote App to 1.2 I can no longer get my iTunes to see my iPhone 3G. It syncs just fine and mounts in the device list like normal but when trying to connect to my iTunes Library through the remote app when it presents the 4 digit pass code, thats as far as it goes. iTunes never gives me a place to enter that pass code.

It might seem like an obvious question, but are you on the same wifi network?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 258member
    Interesting how the ad copy for the new Shuffle says up to 1,000 songs, with a footnote fine print disclaimer that it's 500 songs using 256. Maybe they should reverse those numbers now that 256 is default, with this "new feature."
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

I have exactly the same problem as FlashmanBurgess, and all of iTunes diagnostic tests confirm network connectivity is OK. (Remember he said the passcode is accepted by iTunes, proving LAN connectivity).

It just does not get to the final act, which is finding the library.

Anyone else with a similar problem?
  • Reply 27 of 47
    deleted
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Unlike your issue, FlashmanBurgess, when I enter the remote passcode, iTunes tells me "Your remote is now able to control iTunes", but the same as you, my iPhone tells me "could not find library"
  • Reply 29 of 47
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,752member
    Quote:

Obligatory... But is it snappier???

From the start of the article:

Quote:

iTunes 8.1 (65.4 MB) "is now faster and more responsive," Apple says.

Apple wouldn't lie, would they?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    8.1 made about 100 songs in my library lose their path to their location ok the disk and I can't get the updates to my App Store apps. Both are easily fixable with some repetitive work, but I would have rathered it not occur, of course.

Anyone know of a script for the first issue?
  • Reply 31 of 47
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:

What is iTunes DJ and friends requesting songs? How does this work?

It allows you to view a DJs music catalog and it allows you to request songs right from your iPhone or iPod touch, it's like if you where to walk into a store and if they got iTunes DJ enable you could just request for songs instead of listening to all the crap they got, pretty cool i'll say.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

it's gonna take time i don't have to sort that out. thanks apple.

but you've got time to read and post on AI?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    My main concern was that iTunes would hang when processing the files for iTunes Plus tracks, resulting in an album taking 2+ hours to download, more often taking 3 hours....anyone noticed if this issue has been addressed ? This is the true test of 'snappier'
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Yes. Only one network in the house.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Yikes! After upgrading to 8.1, I noticed that I can no longer upgrade songs and albums to iTunes Plus format.

Can anyone on the older iTunes check to see if this is an iTunes store thing, or just a version 8.1 thing? There were still a whole bunch of tracks I wanted to upgrade, but I was waiting on them for budgetary reasons. I know Apple said that offer could end at any time, but I'm hoping it's just an upgrade thing and perhaps I can downgrade back to the previous version of iTunes to grab those last tracks and albums that I wanted.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Yikes! After upgrading to 8.1, I noticed that I can no longer upgrade songs and albums to iTunes Plus format.

Never mind. The option is back. Must have been some upgrade bugs with the store interface that needed to be worked out.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    It might just be me but i reset the calendars on my iPod touch and now they are all the same colours as in iCal!
  • Reply 38 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's the old Party Shuffle paired with Genius to make it more intelligent instead of having you setup a playlist ahead of time.

Quote:

Ah...

My mistake, it's considerably more involved than what I stated.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

From the start of the article:

Apple wouldn't lie, would they?

Scrolling through my 6000-song library is definately faster and zippier than it used to be, but it's still not as fast as say scrolling through a website in Safari. Still a nice improvement.

And the iTunes store is quicker as well indeed.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    [QUOTE=JeffDM;1389077]What is special about the iTunes Plus encoding that iTunes couldn't encode before? I thought it was 256kbps encoded constant bit rate, and the program already had that for a long time. The only thing I can think of is that it's now a pre-made setting that's in the drop-down list instead of something that you manually enter as a custom setting.

iTunes 8.0.x offered 256 encoding as a option called "Higher Quality 256K" but the user had to manually change the setting from the prior default, High Quality 128K. iTunes 8.1 now sets the default to 256K, but calls it iTunes Plus instead of Higher Quality 256K. So it is not really a new feature, just a new default setting and name change.