Apple releases iTunes 8.1

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post

Well, I wonder if Apple has changed its (i)tune on using Front Row as a front end to send iTunes Audio over wireless networks to Airport Express remote speakers? This is such a glaring and unfortunate oversight... or is it a strategic marketing decision so they can sell more appleTVs? we're only talking audio here. How cool would it be to use Front row to browse music and deliver and control that music to your Airport Express? Seems like a no brainer. But up to know this hasn't worked...

any words?

Why would anyone need this? If you are streaming music to your stereo, you would not be in the same room as the Mac to even see Front Row. The best thing Apple did for controlling music through the Airport Express was creating the Remote app for the iPhone/iTouch. Far better to control your music in the palm of your hand than to get up, go to another room, and change the song.

Another great feature of the AirPort Express is using Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil to stream any audio source from your Mac to the AirPort Express. So now I can listen to XM radio via Pulsar through my AirPort Express as well as listen to KROQ2 (HD Radio) via AOL Radio.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Interesting how the ad copy for the new Shuffle says up to 1,000 songs, with a footnote fine print disclaimer that it's 500 songs using 256. Maybe they should reverse those numbers now that 256 is default, with this "new feature."

With the Shuffle, there is an option to convert any song to AAC 128 on the fly to fit more music on the Shuffle. The music in your library remains at the higher bitrate, but the transferred music can be at 128 for more songs. So they can continue the same advertising.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Interesting how the ad copy for the new Shuffle says up to 1,000 songs, with a footnote fine print disclaimer that it's 500 songs using 256. Maybe they should reverse those numbers now that 256 is default, with this "new feature."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

With the Shuffle, there is an option to convert any song to AAC 128 on the fly to fit more music on the Shuffle. The music in your library remains at the higher bitrate, but the transferred music can be at 128 for more songs. So they can continue the same advertising.

Sony once advertised their players as having x-many songs based on 96KBps (or something crazy low). i don't think it went over well.

I've always wondered how Apple would eventually tackle this obstacle. They had to keep 128KBps standard or they'd risk false marketing by saying it can hold x-many songs but then default the SW to a higher bit rate reducing the number substantially. I think this forum would know to look at the storage capacity not some advertised song number, but I don't think that is the norm.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

The new iTunes DJ feature is awesome! It works so well. Only issue I see with it is not everyone having the latest Remote.app.

Yeah I can't wait for the new iPod Nanos to come out with integrated Wifi and the ability to request songs from the iTunes DJ.

Because thats the only thing thats missing from the iTunes DJ, enough people being able to request songs.

With the most popular iPod in the mix being able to request songs from the DJ, there should be enough devices to go around :-)

Or maybe an iPodTouch Nano? Just something to get a voting tool in the hands of everybody.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:

Why would anyone need this? If you are streaming music to your stereo, you would not be in the same room as the Mac to even see Front Row. The best thing Apple did for controlling music through the Airport Express was creating the Remote app for the iPhone/iTouch. Far better to control your music in the palm of your hand than to get up, go to another room, and change the song.

Another great feature of the AirPort Express is using Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil to stream any audio source from your Mac to the AirPort Express. So now I can listen to XM radio via Pulsar through my AirPort Express as well as listen to KROQ2 (HD Radio) via AOL Radio.

If the music your streaming from is on a (Mac) laptop. Then you can just place the laptop some where where you can see it and use the remote for Front Row to select your songs. Even if it's just pause, skip or play again. Rather than getting up and using the touchpad to navigate in iTunes. Or springing for a Touch (or iPhone).

My old Pismo also serves as my CD player for my stereo system. With an Express hooked to to my stereo system. All the songs in it is lossless (AIFF), since I'll be listening to them on a stereo system. Saves me the trouble of finding and putting in a new CD every time. Specially if all I want to hear is one or two songs off a CD. Since I can't get Front Row on my Pismo, (Too slow. But there is an infra red input on the back of the Pismo. Not sure if it would work with Apple Remote anyways.) I use a Touch as a remote.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    iTunes 8.1 seems more snappy and responsive. Now only if they added multi-touch!
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:

Why would anyone need this? If you are streaming music to your Another great feature of the AirPort Express is using Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil to stream any audio source from your Mac to the AirPort Express. So now I can listen to XM radio via Pulsar through my AirPort Express as well as listen to KROQ2 (HD Radio) via AOL Radio.

Sorry for bumping an old thread... but I'm having trouble tuning KROQ2 with iTunes - I get it fine with WunderRadio on the iPhone, but can't figger it out ... would you mind posting the URL please, or you can ping me directly at (mail to) perk at perkiset.org Thanks!