Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 25+ years on a Mac View Post

I have a second gen iPod Touch and a 2006 iMac Intel exactly like the products mentioned in the article. So far, both are working flawlessly (knock on wood).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Watch out, having working Apple products that fit your needs is more than enough ammo for certain posters on this forum to call you a 'fanboy' and 'Apple apologist'. Welcome to AI.

I think you could deduce that simply from his/her forum name.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Did you buy your new shuffle yet?

I replied to you the other day stating that my 2G Shuffle was more than adequate for its intended job. If it were to break, get lost or stolen I would then buy one of the new Shuffles.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I think you could deduce that simply from his/her forum name.

I think depends on how you interpret the word 'on'.
  • Reply 44 of 127
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I replied to you the other day stating that my 2G Shuffle was more than adequate for its intended job. If it were to break, get lost or stolen I would then buy one of the new Shuffles.

No problem- I remembered you were so proud that you've been wanting the voice thing and it actually came about. So I figured you were gonna go for it now. May your 2G Shuffle keep working then. It's like the most indestructible thing. I use mine all the time. Love it, average sound and all.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Hey us fat people are...

Indeed. Laughing all the way to the refrigerator.

As an California-born American whose lived outside the USA for nearly 15 years, I must say that it is shocking just how much fatter the already obese in America have become.

Eat intelligently, for crying out loud. Reduce the amount of food in your home at any one time, don't shop at bulk food places like Costco, and control your hand that feeds your mouth. Then perhaps people will take you more seriously. Yes, looks do matter to many people, unfortunately. It's a sad part of human nature. But by losing weight you will live longer and experience a better quality of life. The other really sad and almost criminal part of being excessively overweight for extended periods of your life is that if you later marry and have children, most often those children get fat due to the horrid habits of their uncaring parents. Fat people are therefore responsible for breeding fat, and therefore causing a strain on health care systems, driving up costs due to diseases related to being overweight. Refusing to return to your body's normal healthy weight is the epitome of selfishness.

I personal hate lawsuits of any kind, especially class-action. If this woman's son was really burned, she should have tried to negotiate with Apple, showing them video of her son's pants and burned leg. I'm sure that would have some serious emotional impact on someone at Apple (other than an Apple lawyer, of course). (Fat or not, this is what she should have done.)

I don't like actual lawsuits but I don't have any problem with "threatening to sue" if negotiations break down. Apple gets sued so much it would want to settle out of court. And so long as the amount was reasonable (a few thousands of dollars versus millions) as it would seem in this case, it would seem only logical that Apple would settle it quietly and keep it out of the public eye. I personally want to keep it out of my eye so the media can instead focus on the discontent among veteran Mac lovers about why Apple ignores its users who hate gloss and want a mid-range tower. Now that is news that should pound on Apple daily until Apple changes its iTune.

As to the fellow who owns the bad iMac, I am tempted to say he should have just bought AppleCare, but then that would make me a legal-defender of Apple, which I am certainly not. That video shows just how bad his poor Mac is. If I were him, I would drive to Cupertino with that Mac and show it to someone first hand. If he is turned away, he should go to the media with his story and keep it in the media daily. Perhaps then Apple would come back to the table to settle with him and keep it quiet. Then this fellow could just tell Apple he wants his settlement in product, rather than cash, which would make Apple happy. I personally would ask for a free, newest model Mac of my choice for the next decade. That would be a fun settlement, unless of course Apple screwed up on the screens of all those machines during that 10 years! Ack! :-)
  • Reply 46 of 127
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    So the ipod touch was off when it caught on fire, how is that possible?
  • Reply 47 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

So the ipod touch was off when it caught on fire, how is that possible?

Spontaneous combustion.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I am originally from Cincinnati and go back to visit every so often. First, this was reported repeatedly on the local Cincinnati news when it first happened - the national outlets just didn't pick it up. Second, it doesn't surprise me that this lady is seeking a relatively small sum of money for a lawsuit of this nature, nor that isn't she trying to elevate it to class action status - people in Cincinnati are just not like that. We don't like shyster lawyers and the "sue, sue, sue" mentality that is so prominent on the east and west coasts.

Cincinnati is a great city. Go visit some time.

I'm sure Cincinnati is a great place but this lawsuit has fraud written all over it.
    • It's not a class action as it should be if it's the real deal.

• It charges all kinds of people that have nothing to do with the design of the product

• It's really short on any kind of detail of what actually happened

• It's written by someone who doesn't even know what the name of the product is.

I searched for an hour on this story and I have yet to find anywhere where the details get any clearer than : "He had it in his pocket in the off position and it caught fire melting his underwear and burning his leg."

Some obvious questions: Was it in his back pocket? Did he habitually keep it in his back pocket? had he ever sat on the thing? How did he know it was in the off position if it was in his pocket? Was the burn on his leg because of the nylon underwear or a burn from the actual product?

There are also no pictures to be found and no stats on how many time this has happened before. A company is not liable for this kind of thing unless there is a design flaw that contributed to it.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

If this were Dell, I think there'd be a lot less issues because of a lot lower price paid for product/service)

Yeah, really. Which similarly spec'd Dell product costs less? All the low prices Dell stuff is 10 year old recycled hardware put in a beige colored box.

Give me a friggin break!!
  • Reply 50 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

It's a shame that so many on this board are idiots. It certainly keeps me away. I certainly do not mean everyone!

You do something that hurt my child, you'd better run, cause buddy, you're gonna be wearin' a SCAR!

We're lucky that in this country we have the screwed up legal system that we do, to take care of these "differences". I think I made it apparently clear, that I don't believe in any profiteering company's right, to scar a child!

While I did read today, because my alum. iMac does suffer from some vertical "waviness" especially towards the ends. I think it's "just the way it is", and am not interested in a suit of any kind. I'm very happy and might say, proud of my iMac.

I'm also happy and proud for this youngster's mother, who is wise enough to stand up for the child in a court of law! Shame, on any of you Over-Educated Idiots, who just don't get it!

(Btw) it don't mean squat about how the lawyer spelled it in the complaint.

Good thing, lots of your stupid arsed opines don't mean diddly!

If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face.

With the iMac or the IPod?
  • Reply 52 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

pants on fire

This phrase seems incomplete.

There is the possibility that it's a genuine case of a faulty product but if they were being genuine, I doubt they'd be trying to push for the maximum amount they could hope to settle for.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    123 delete me
  • Reply 54 of 127
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

People are so pathetic. I bet she is overweight and barely has a high school education.

Would she be pathetic if she is overweight and barely has a high school education, or are you pathetic because you are implying that there's something wrong with being overweight and barely having a high school education?
  • Reply 55 of 127
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

You're obviously a Republican.

What has politics go to do with it? It's simple cause and effect that if this iPod exploded and all the others didn't, there must be something different about it.

Since Apple mass produces, a process that results in very few differences between objects, it is more likely something the owner did. But the judge has to determine this.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

People are so pathetic. I bet she is overweight and barely has a high school education.

That's the same as saying that they're from Cincinnati.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesWvr View Post

Although I think it's horrible that someone was burned by an iPod touch, I think the lawsuit is a little fishy since this is the only instance I have heard about a 2G iPod touch catching fire and that they are not filing it as a class-action lawsuit. How can you claim that Apple was fully aware of the risks or did not test the product enough when there have been millions of units sold and (as far as I know) only 1 that caught fire?

My nieces nano did that while laying on my brothers desk at home. Thankfully, nothing caught fire past the iPod and a bad spot on the desk. Apple did not take it back or seem concerned. He had to purchase a new one.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

My nieces nano did that while laying on my brothers desk at home. Thankfully, nothing caught fire past the iPod and a bad spot on the desk. Apple did not take it back or seem concerned. He had to purchase a new one.

I know it van be a pain as any normal corporation, just like insurance companies, will deny such claims and naturally assume the customer is probably lying unless they are persistant, but it sounds like you brother have a case for a new Nano and desk. Only when such a problem becomes rampant do the claims get easier to deal with out of the gate, though they usually issue a recall by that point.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I know it van be a pain as any normal corporation, just like insurance companies, will deny such claims and naturally assume the customer is probably lying unless they are persistant, but it sounds like you brother have a case for a new Nano and desk. Only when such a problem becomes rampant do the claims get easier to deal with out of the gate, though they usually issue a recall by that point.

Yeah, I agree. We have a manufacturing company together and we know how it goes. However, we would have just replaced it on good faith but we are kinda specialized and the two cannot be compared.

I was surprised that they did not want it back just to look at. Now that was the weird part. He called the 800 number and visited the store to try and get them to just take it back to inspect. No dice.

My niece was happy though. She got the latest nano out of the deal.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I am originally from Cincinnati and go back to visit every so often. First, this was reported repeatedly on the local Cincinnati news when it first happened - the national outlets just didn't pick it up. Second, it doesn't surprise me that this lady is seeking a relatively small sum of money for a lawsuit of this nature, nor that isn't she trying to elevate it to class action status - people in Cincinnati are just not like that. We don't like shyster lawyers and the "sue, sue, sue" mentality that is so prominent on the east and west coasts.

Relatively small amount of money????? She's asking for almost a quarter million dollars ($75 K compensatory, $75 K punitive, and $75 K unspecified damages). That's absurd for a second degree burn in an isolated incident. Second degree burns hurt, but they're not that serious. And suing the retail clerks is just plain absurd.

The kid is more harmed by having a money grubbing, leech for a mother.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I find it amazing that people can give Apple the benefit of the doubt regarding the Touch story despite it being on the same page as the iMac story. Don't you conservatives believe people should be responsible for their actions? If Apple hurt someone or built a crappy product, they should own up to it and do the right thing. You people are so brainwashed by the corporate media: Individuals = bad, corporations = good. Disgusting!!!

Where did anyone say they shouldn't? If the product was defective, Apple should be held responsible (and if the problem was a component that was defective, Apple would be indemnified by the company who sold them the component). I haven't seen a single statement saying that Apple shouldn't be responsible. But $225 K for a simple second degree burn is absurd - especially considering that it's an isolated incident. This is the first reported burn incident out of how many iPods sold? 100 million? Arguing that the product was badly designed is a sure losing strategy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Although I think there are way too many frivolous lawsuits out there, I believe both of these are actual good ones.

The iPod burned the kid's leg! Off the production line there are the occasional bad units. Apparently this kid got one of those that oddly passed through QC. Apple should be held responsible, given they find nothing tampered or 3rd party issue (and you cannot include software since Apple checks all software before it goes out to these devices). I don't think that would be the case. And in comparison, 75,000 is not that much money. Depending on surgeries done, a good chunk of that will go towards Medical Expenses.

Maybe you should read the article. It was a second degree burn. There would be no reason for surgery. When I was a kid and someone got a second degree burn, Mom sprayed it with Bactine and they were fine in a couple of days. Blowing this up into a major 'design failure' fantasy is crazy. Compensatory damages would be a new pair of pants, one (maybe two) doctor's office visits, and a new iPod. Maybe a few miles of driving for Mom. NOT $75 K - and that's just what they're asking for compensatory damages.