Apple sued over exploding iPod touch, iMac display issues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    123 delete me
  • Reply 62 of 127
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Maybe someone posted this already - but who is responsible for determining that the iPod was the cause? could it be the kid was smoking or engaged in some other activity that caused a fire that just happened to be in proximity to his iPod?
  • Reply 63 of 127
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    As far as the second case, the damaged iMac display, the owner got his comeuppance for creating or displaying such hideous art on an iMac. He/she should also be arrested and charged with child abuse for subjecting a baby to it.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

If its the screen I don't think its that hard to replace. I have been inside my late 2006 imac and could replace a screen in that one in probably 15 minutes. Out of curiosity I searched for a replacement panel and the price is around 800 dollars. If its a video card well you are s.o.l.

This is (among other reasons) is why all in ones suck. It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Also, why are replacement parts for Macs so outrageously overpriced? They make the Apple tax on RAM look trivial. Apple probably pays $40 for these panels.
  • Reply 65 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

This is (among other reasons) is why all in ones suck. It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Suck, no, but it does certain limitations for the convenience it brings. Same goes for pretty much every technology I can think of. Your case is also true of laptops which, by literal definition of the term, are all-in-ones. Yes, they offer a certain level of convenience in their portability that makes it acceptable for having smaller, less powerful components at a higher price, as well as the higher likelihood of issues. But that doesn't mean that desktop AIOs don't have their non-aesthetic benefits, too.

Quote:

Also, why are replacement parts for Macs so outrageously overpriced? They make the Apple tax on RAM look trivial. Apple probably pays $40 for these panels.

Replacement parts for an entire system piece by piece would be many times more expensive than buying the whole system. This isn't just Apple, but all computers and cars and, again, pretty much any other complex technology I can think of.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

As anyone who has used any Apple product before, one can confidently say that it is impossible for a unit to be defective, causing harm to the user. Clearly, the plaintiff in the case is making up the entire story and deserves to be burned at the stake for their insubordination.

THAT will be the only evidence of burning in this case, and it is entirely appropriate considering the level of offense they committed.

Dude call Apple... Your meds are ready!

Get a defect from Apple and then you will eat your own words. Won't be long. Trust.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I find it amazing that people can give Apple the benefit of the doubt regarding the Touch story despite it being on the same page as the iMac story. Don't you conservatives believe people should be responsible for their actions? If Apple hurt someone or built a crappy product, they should own up to it and do the right thing. You people are so brainwashed by the corporate media: Individuals = bad, corporations = good. Disgusting!!!

Like your one to talk... It's always the "evil corporations" with you liberals. Anyone with half a brain (liberal or conservative) can see something fishy with this story. I haven't heard anything else about any other ipods. So either it is a freak accident, or the i pod was mishandled somehow. How about people in this country stop looking for an easy buck through the already overwhelmed court system?!
  • Reply 68 of 127
    I don't know why everyone is coming up with all kinds of weird possible explanations.. Although we can't possibly know the exact details, the most obvious explanation for this is a defective lithium Ion battery. This wouldn't be the first (or thousandth) time that a Li-Ion battery unit overheated and burst into flames or exploded...
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

If your kid did something stupid I would whack him/her right on the face.

Buddy, then,

YOU'd Be Wearin' the Scar!

And, rightly so, for being so F'n Stoopid!

You whack my kid, I whack you dead. No more said. UNDERSTAND??? OBOMBUSBOY?

Don't F with me, you Anulsadkarian!

This woman's child was hurt by an Apple product.

According to "This Country's" laws, she has the right to bring suit, which she did.

According to my own law, I have a right to Scar you dead, for touching my child! BEWARE, ME!

You stoopid fool!

You're dam lucky this is an internet forum!

Regardless, the nice lady is doing the correct thing, and all you "fanboys" don't like it! Hah! Hey, guess what? I hate MS. I buy Apple. But, they hurt my child, They will pay, like anyone else!

Do you hear me, mister unspellable name?

Wise up, and get a grip on the law. Before you're Forced To! Hear me? Read me? Loud and clear? Good.

Then Shut UP!

WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN HERE, FIRST, AND FOREMOST. GO HOME!

Anyone hurts a child in this country, must beware. Even if the child acted foolishly. Get it?

Got it?

Good..

That's the law that my business's have abided by for decades, and I'm glad.

You want to participate in this country, get used to it, and, carry the proper insurance, or, stand to "Daddy's Wrath".

You numbskull..

That's the way it works in America!

Love it,

Or,

Leave it!

You eF'n Forign Loser!

Nice chat.

Done with you.

Later,

Not.

M.O.

F.O.

• Reply 70 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Like your one to talk... It's always the "evil corporations" with you liberals. Anyone with half a brain (liberal or conservative) can see something fishy with this story. I haven't heard anything else about any other ipods. So either it is a freak accident, or the i pod was mishandled somehow. How about people in this country stop looking for an easy buck through the already overwhelmed court system?!

Right.

So, Momma filed suit.

She's gonna hafto prove her case, for her child.

God bless her.

I'm an Apple fan.

But, if they hurt my child, both of which, and their spouses have Apple's, hurt them, or my grandchild?

By no fault of their own?

Apple will Pay!

Why?

Because, IT's the LAW!

Like it or not.

It's not demorcrank, or repulicank.

It's the law of tort.

You stupid f'n fan boys!

You hurt someone, (ESPECIALLY A CHILD), YOU PAY!

Good that it's settled.

asb..

AintSoBad...
  • Reply 71 of 127
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

As anyone who has used any Apple product before, one can confidently say that it is impossible for a unit to be defective, causing harm to the user. Clearly, the plaintiff in the case is making up the entire story and deserves to be burned at the stake for their insubordination.

THAT will be the only evidence of burning in this case, and it is entirely appropriate considering the level of offense they committed.

• Reply 72 of 127
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

LOL any time you use "Conservative" or "Liberal" it shows bias. I agree, this suit SUCKS and wreaks of a quick buck, but I believe in fiscal responsibility and social liberalism, and I loathe pigeonholing others based on preconceived notions...
  • Reply 73 of 127
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

there's something wrong with being overweight and barely having a high school education?

The very fact that you don't think something is wrong with that is evidence something is wrong with you. But sadly, you can take comfort in knowing that many others are like you in America today and explains why so many are obese. No one feels guilty about getting fat in the USA anymore. It's frightful.

And if it is so right and cool to be fat and uneducated, then I must assume that if you wed and one day have children, you will encourage your offspring to eat excessively and never attend school? You are basically admitting as much by stating there is nothing wrong about obesity or the lack of a reasonable education. Scary. Very scary.

But fat or not, I still feel the same as I stated in my previous post about this woman and her son. She and her son need to be treated as human beings, not mere objects. But that doesn't mean they are "entitled" to become rich over this. I would expect they are due reasonable compensation for medical expenses and the cost of a replacement product.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Buddy, then,

[Stupid stuff formated like a badly written song]

M.O.

F.O.

Are you for real?
  • Reply 75 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

No only simple minded self entitled moron Americans can stoop so low as to steel that kind of money from a company like Apple. She is obviously just trying to make a quick buck at Apple's expense. If this happened to my child I would notify Apple about the issue and at most expect a new iPod Touch. By they way what a stupid assumption on your part. That lady is exactly what is wrong with this country. It's sad...

By the way I agree it was probably something in his pocket like a paper clip that jumped the terminals on the dock connection... "Hey kid if your iPod is hot pull it out of your pocket." ...but then again, the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? Thought...maybe she is related to the McDonald's hot coffee lady...inbreeding maybe? Likely.

Agreed!!
  • Reply 76 of 127
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Buddy, then,

According to "This Country's" laws, she has the right to bring suit, which she did.

According to my own law, I have a right to Scar you dead, for touching my child! BEWARE, ME!

You stoopid fool!

Regardless, the nice lady is doing the correct thing, and all you "fanboys" don't like it! Hah! Hey, guess what? I hate MS. I buy Apple. But, they hurt my child, They will pay, like anyone else!

Wise up, and get a grip on the law. Before you're Forced To! Hear me? Read me? Loud and clear? Good.

Then Shut UP!

Anyone hurts a child in this country, must beware. Even if the child acted foolishly. Get it?

Got it?

Good..

You want to participate in this country, get used to it, and, carry the proper insurance, or, stand to "Daddy's Wrath".

You numbskull..

Love it,

Or,

Leave it!

You eF'n Forign Loser!

Nice chat.

Done with you.

Later,

Not.

M.O.

F.O.

I thought St. Patrick's Day wasn't until Tuesday.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:

Buddy, then,

You stoopid fool!

Then Shut UP!

Got it?

Good..

You numbskull..

Love it,

Or,

Leave it!

You eF'n Forign Loser!

Nice chat.

Done with you.

Later,

Not.

M.O.

F.O.

Wow. Glad I don't have kids!
  • Reply 78 of 127
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

This sounds a lot like the battery "exploded", which is a lawsuit worthy event. Whether this was a one-off defective unit, a design flaw, or just a badly abused unit will be found out later (I hope).

Suing the entire supply chain, including the retail clerk who rang up the purchase, sounds like the action of a paranoid conspiracy nut, or an extremely overachieving lawyer.

Suing the entire supply chain is the sign of a good attorney, in a products liability case. Since most products involve many different vendors and manufacturers, an attorney would need to list all of them in the lawsuit. They are not seeking class action because one iPod Touch exploding does not represent a class action. Since it is not yet known what caused the iPod to explode, you need to list all the players involved. If you went to trial and it was determined that the manufacturer of the battery caused the defect, and your attorney only listed Apple as a defendant, then you have a malpractice lawsuit against your attorney for failing to properly pursue a products liability case. If this iPod did explode due to a defect, wouldn't you want your attorney to cover all the bases?
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Quote:

Buddy, then,

You stoopid fool!

Then Shut UP!

Got it?

Good..

You numbskull..

Love it,

Or,

Leave it!

You eF'n Forign Loser!

Nice chat.

Done with you.

Later,

Not.

M.O.

F.O.

Enjoy prison, because you will be there soon if you carry out your threat on someone. That is the way it works in America.
  • Reply 80 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm sure Cincinnati is a great place but this lawsuit has fraud written all over it.
    • It's not a class action as it should be if it's the real deal.

• It charges all kinds of people that have nothing to do with the design of the product

• It's really short on any kind of detail of what actually happened

• It's written by someone who doesn't even know what the name of the product is.

I searched for an hour on this story and I have yet to find anywhere where the details get any clearer than : "He had it in his pocket in the off position and it caught fire melting his underwear and burning his leg."

Some obvious questions: Was it in his back pocket? Did he habitually keep it in his back pocket? had he ever sat on the thing? How did he know it was in the off position if it was in his pocket? Was the burn on his leg because of the nylon underwear or a burn from the actual product?

There are also no pictures to be found and no stats on how many time this has happened before. A company is not liable for this kind of thing unless there is a design flaw that contributed to it.

You have never done insurance claims, have you? This lawsuit doesn't have fraud written all over it, unless it is proven that the iPod is either not defective, or did not explode. Even if it is not proven, it is not fraud. Fraud is the willful intent to deceive someone. The plaintiff is simply making a claim for damages. I will review your points:

1) Not everything is a class action lawsuit, most are not. Class action only applies if a claim affects a large number of people, and the court approves the declaration of a class action. If this is the only iPod that exploded, then it won't qualify as a class action. It needs to be a large number of people

2) It charges all kinds of people because there are many different vendors involved in the making of an iPod. In a products liability case, you would want your attorney to file suit against all of them since it is not yet known what caused the iPod to explode. If you leave out one company, you have no claim against them. Apple designed the iPod, they didn't build them.

3) All lawsuits are short on detail. They are vague on purpose since it is not yet proven what caused the failure.

4) The attorney does know what the product is. Most items in a lawsuit are later abbreviated. The beginning of the suit most likely references the iPod Touch, and then says to be known later in the suit as iTouch.

You won't find any details regarding this case because most lawsuits are private. Not everything is disclosed to the public. It doesn't matter what pocket it was in, nor does it matter if it was on or off. If it is defective, it could still overheat. Who the hell wears nylon underwear??? You won't find pictures unless you happen to be on the jury. You are correct. A company is not liable unless a defect is found, and that is the reason for the suit. It will be proven in court if the iPod was in fact defective, or a component of the iPod was defective.