Apple's iPhone 3.0 expands the 'yawning' competitive gap

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simon8 View Post

Started reading the thread and then get to your posts and then remember who you are. The one that always seems to attack everyone else.

This forum has an ignore feature. But he's actually amusing to read since he's pretty much just wrong on most things he posts...
  • Reply 102 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

OK these numbers are from Q4 2008. I'd love to find a month by month graph.

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=910112

Symbian 47.1%

BlackBerry 19.5%

Windows Mobile 12.4%

iPhone 10.7%

Linux 8.4%

Palm 0.9%

Android (less than 1%. 1mm G1s in the field though)

Conventional wisdom is that any market settles down to 2 or 3 brands. No question Apple will be on that list. I'm putting Google and Symbian in the top 3 after 2 years also. RIM and MS won't go away though. RIM has business users and MS has money.

Palm is dead. Pure linux is dying in favor of Android (based on Linux) and possibly WebOS. The big "loser" will be Symbian as iPhone/Blackberry and Android take share from it (high end and low). Absolute numbers may still increase for a while but it's days of dominance are over IMHO.

MS still has a shot but likely to drop to #4.
  • Reply 103 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Once the Pre comes, it will be followed by an explosion.

Yes, as Palm self destructs in an orgy of might have beens and finger pointing.

Actually, more likely is they manage to relight their business and keep what share they have but really...RIM killed them years ago as a major player. The Pre isn't likely to change that equation in the enterprise and it's unlikely that the Pre can compete against a iPhone in the consumer market.
  • Reply 104 of 105
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Symbian 47.1%

BlackBerry 19.5%

Windows Mobile 12.4%

iPhone 10.7%

Linux 8.4%

Palm 0.9%

What makes the iPhone numbers even more impressive is the fact that iPhone OS is only on the iPhone which is only w/ AT&T, whereas WM and WiM are on many phones across most cellphone companies. Wait for a few years when iPhone opens up to all cellphone carriers, talk about a boon for the phone and software.

After reading many posts here all I have to say is Apple and the iPhone are simply amazing in how they enrich the user experience. Up until the iPhone I had no less than 7 phones (2 smartphones) and it's extremely hard to explain to non-iPhone users just how freakin fun and useful this phone really is. I have an app for just about everything I could ever want and most of them are top notch.

To the naysayers about 'it doesn't have this' and 'it doesn't have that' I just kinda laugh and say your right it doesn't have some features, then smile cause I know as you other iPhone user know ... ... ...
  • Reply 105 of 105
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Symbian 47.1%

BlackBerry 19.5%

Windows Mobile 12.4%

iPhone 10.7%

Linux 8.4%

Palm 0.9%

What makes the iPhone numbers even more impressive is the fact that iPhone OS is only on the iPhone which is only w/ AT&T, whereas WM and WiM are on many phones across most cellphone companies. Wait for a few years when iPhone opens up to all cellphone carriers, talk about a boon for the phone and software.

After reading many posts here all I have to say is Apple and the iPhone are simply amazing in how they enrich the user experience. Up until the iPhone I had no less than 7 phones (2 smartphones) and it's extremely hard to explain to non-iPhone users just how freakin fun and useful this phone really is. I have an app for just about everything I could ever want and most of them are top notch.

To the naysayers about 'it doesn't have this' and 'it doesn't have that' I just kinda laugh and say your right it doesn't have some features, then smile cause I know as you other iPhone user know ... ... ...