Apple posts fix for 17-inch MacBook Pro visual glitches

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Addressing widespread reports of visual artifacts on the 17-inch MacBook Pro's display, Apple on Wednesday night released a firmware update that it hoped would clear up the issues for its premium notebook.

MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 (770KB) specifically tackles "vertical lines or distorted graphics" that can appear on the unibody portable's screen during regular use.

The problem became particularly evident when new owners at Apple's support forums and elsewhere began noticing visual patterns on their systems, such as off-color "noise" in patches or vertical lines across the entire length of the screen.

From the outset, users only noticed the problems when relying on the dedicated GeForce 9600M graphics chipset and not the integrated 9400M that also comes as part of the computer. It occurs regardless of the application and is sometimes dependent on the intensity of the task, exhibiting symptoms not unlike an overheating graphics chip.

Apple doesn't mention whether heat is the culprit and doesn't mention in its release notes for the firmware update what steps it has taken to fix the issue, which hasn't been detected in every shipping model.

An early example of the unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro's visual errors from the Apple support forums.

AppleInsider readers using the desktop replacement notebooks are encouraged to provide feedback on whether or not the update has eliminated the flaw on their own systems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    at least apple actually does fix things and sends out updates.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    wplatewplate Posts: 4member
    Please fix the 15inch MacBook Pro too!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I have an early 2009 unibody 17 inch. On low brightness, like many other users the display annoyingly flickers, Its as though there is a ceiling fan in the room, and you are seeing a reflection of the shadow. Of course there isn't. To fix, increase brightness (to above medium) or select the better performance graphics ship. This usually helps.

Ths version 1.0 firmware did not fix this problem. Later tonight i will see if it fixed the external monitor - clamshell closed issue.

Sad - i no longer think software will fix this, I have applecare notice, and probably will have to send it in.

Model NametMacBook Pro

Model IdentifiertMacBookPro5,2

Processor NametIntel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speedt2.93 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cachet6 MB

Memoryt8 GB

Bus Speedt1.07 GHz

Boot ROM VersiontMBP52.008E.B00

SMC Versiont1.42f4
  • Reply 4 of 34
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wplate View Post

Please fix the 15inch MacBook Pro too!

Seriously, I can barely work!

My 15" macbook pro is plugged into a 30" HP LP3065, and I can't go more than 10 minutes without some form of visual disturbance. I called apple, and after about 1 hour of trying everything they told me (with no avail), they told me that apple was aware of the problem, and was working on it.

they've released two graphics fixes in the past 2 weeks. When are they going to get to this one!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Seriously, I can barely work!

My 15" macbook pro is plugged into a 30" HP LP3065, and I can't go more than 10 minutes without some form of visual disturbance. I called apple, and after about 1 hour of trying everything they told me (with no avail), they told me that apple was aware of the problem, and was working on it.

they've released two graphics fixes in the past 2 weeks. When are they going to get to this one!!!!

Thats what they told me two weeks ago - that a fix for the external monitor flicker was due any time. It also took two people, and almost 40 minutes to get to the point where they told me apple was aware of problem and will be issuing a software fix. I already had a 2007 17 mbpro - which i pulled rank and gave to one of my junior engineers, so i could have the new one. Tired of seeing his smug face!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

You're pitiful.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Perfect them before they're released and then we wouldn't need fixes.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    This fix should have been fixed before they released the MBP's.

It should not have taken over a month for the release either.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Just wondering...

If problem is driver/firmware related, then all machines built and shipped within specific dates (when that driver/firmware were used) should have the same problem. But that does not seem to be true.

Otherwise, it looks more like bad batch of graphics chips/motherboards Apple was unlucky to receive from manufacturer. But problem there is - you cannot fix hardware problem with software update. sometimes you can hide problem by reducing/disabling features (like reducing number of colours, refresh rate etc) but that is hardly a fix.

Bottom line - hardware problem requires replacement. If problem is of hardware origins (information Apple should come out with), I'm finding extremely unfair if Apple is buyin their time and trying to avoid proper fix by offering software updates. Specially to customers who have paid premium money for that product...
  • Reply 10 of 34
    I used Windows all my life and made the switch in August of 2008.

I have learned that Macs are no better and have just the same problems as PCs!

No more No less!

You just pay more for looks!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

This fix should have been fixed before they released the MBP's.

It should not have taken over a month for the release either.

There is no such thing as bug free product release. Electronics, cars, and everything composed of multiple parts made by multiple manufacturers will have a percentage of defective components. Disadvantages of mass production.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is no such thing as bug free product release. Electronics, cars, and everything composed of multiple parts made by multiple manufacturers will have a percentage of defective components. Disadvantages of mass production.

There would be IF they took the time to make sure it was bug free before releasing it. This attitude just empowers large corporations to continue putting out junk figuring they will fix it later.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

There would be IF they took the time to make sure it was bug free before releasing it. This attitude just empowers large corporations to continue putting out junk figuring they will fix it later.

Maybe... If we are in a perfect world!!! But we are not in a perfect world. Even the latest most advanced military airplanes which are maintained and testing every hour crashes due to defects. I am not defending Apple or large corporations. Things are easier said than done.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. No mass produced product in the world can be assured of 100% lack of defects. It's not possible for Apple to extensively test every single one of the millions of computers they sell.

Since it is not effecting every single laptop, it is clearly not a "bug" of the design but rather some kind of manufacturing defect, which cannot ever be eliminated.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

I used Windows all my life and made the switch in August of 2008.

I have learned that Macs are no better and have just the same problems as PCs!

No more No less!

You just pay more for looks!

If by "having the same problems" you mean they are also electromechanical devices which are prone to failures and manufacturing defects, then you are right.

I'm sorry, but if you switched expecting that macs were made out of marshmallows and chocolate chip cookies and ran on the power of unicorn tears, you were bound to be disappointed.

Now that I've disillusioned you, maybe you can stop being a douche all over these forums and get on with your life.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. No mass produced product in the world can be assured of 100% lack of defects. It's not possible for Apple to extensively test every single one of the millions of computers they sell.

Since it is not effecting every single laptop, it is clearly not a "bug" of the design but rather some kind of manufacturing defect, which cannot ever be eliminated.

I agree its tough to eradicate all hardware bugs, however the delays, associated (according to close sources) with nvidia chips and the many many complaints bout flickering lead me to believe it was a known issue with hardware. Considering these things end up over $4K, it should have been fixed. Having apple tell me - just turn up the brightness or use the additional graphics ship invalidates the fantastic battery life claims - and just plain sucks.

Won't happen to me again - buying new released design from apple
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Liar! Apple was suppose to be the perfect product. As a previous Windows user, that is what I thought. Apple made me believe this. Boy was I wrong! Coming to Apple has opened a can of worms for problems. No better than PCs or Windows IMO!
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Liar! Apple was suppose to be the perfect product. As a previous Windows user, that is what I thought. Apple made me believe this. Boy was I wrong! Coming to Apple has opened a can of worms for problems. No better than PCs or Windows IMO!

If you want to be silly go ahead but won't get much attention from me at least.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    scruffyscruffy Posts: 23member
    On the other hand, the video for my 15" unibody MBP has worked flawlessly since I bought it, both on the built-in screen and the 24" LaCie (and on both simultaneously for that matter) I do most of my work on. No flickering, no pixel patterns, on either of the graphics chips.

From my point of view, working perfectly - as expected.

And yes, this idea of "bug-free products" is an increasingly practical impossibility these days, especially when dealing with machines as complex as a modern laptop. There's always something. That said, my last PowerBook has run for 5 years with no operational defects and I don't see any reason not to expect this new one to do the same. But of course, that's just speculation right now - we'll see in five years

Clearly, some people are experiencing problems and that sucks, but there are also a lot of us who aren't.

I'm just sayin'.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I agree its tough to eradicate all hardware bugs, however the delays, associated (according to close sources) with nvidia chips and the many many complaints bout flickering lead me to believe it was a known issue with hardware. Considering these things end up over $4K, it should have been fixed. Having apple tell me - just turn up the brightness or use the additional graphics ship invalidates the fantastic battery life claims - and just plain sucks.

Won't happen to me again - buying new released design from apple

Why is this so hard for you to understand? If it were a hardware bug, it would affect every device they shipped. Clearly that is not the case.