Microsoft's anti-Mac pricing campaign takes to the web

Comments

• Reply 41 of 279
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

you can have a BMW and a Chev with the same horsepower, that doesn't make the cars comparable.

Yeah, but can you get a Chevy and a BMW made using the same parts, built by the same workers in the same factory? Apple gets their laptops built for them in the same factories (Foxconn or Quanta) that make most other laptops.
  • Reply 42 of 279
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Ha, Microsoft's ad is perfect for the New York Times crowd. Give them half the story and skew the rest of the facts...
  • Reply 43 of 279
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Yeah, but can you get a Chevy and a BMW made using the same parts, built by the same workers in the same factory? Apple gets their laptops built for them in the same factories (Foxconn or Quanta) that make most other laptops.

Are some Toyotas and Lexus made in the same plants? Hondas and Acuras? Nissans and Infinitis?

The fact that they are made in the same plant doesn't mean the end result is the same.
  • Reply 44 of 279
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can't wait to see how Apple responds to this, if at all.

My bet? Apple will ignore this campaign.

Thoughts?

(Btw, I am convinced teckstud is Ballmer).

PC: I'm cheaper, I'm cheaper, I'm cheaper.....

Mac: Hey Pc, What's going on?

PC: I've finally figured out how i've got you beat!

Mac: Oh yeah PC, How's that?

PC: I'm cheaper!

Mac: You're right Pc, you may be cheaper up front, but what about all the virus protection subscriptions you need, and all the applications you will have have to buy just to give you the same out of box experience you get with every new Mac?

PC: What virus pr o t e c t i.. . .. (blue screen of death.)

Get A Mac 
  • Reply 45 of 279
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft portrays two slot machines, one ringing up a Mac with bits of garbage, and the other presenting a cheaper generic PC

Wow, you have to add garbage to a Mac to bring it up to the standard of Windows!
  • Reply 46 of 279
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    I saw one of these banners this morning and, honestly, it just makes no sense. There's nothing clever or captivating about the campaign. It's just rather bizarre and nonsensical. I can see why Microsoft wants to take a jab at Apple pricing, but I don't feel these ads accomplished their goal in the least. Just weird. You'd think by now that Microsoft might try a different ad agency or a completely different approach, but they clearly lack the vision. Shocker.
  • Reply 47 of 279
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Are some Toyotas and Lexus made in the same plants? Hondas and Acuras? Nissans and Infinitis?

The fact that they are made in the same plant doesn't mean the end result is the same.

Do they sell Toyotas that have better specs and more features than a Lexus?
  • Reply 48 of 279
    I hope it knocks some sense into Apple, who seem to think that their customers will pay ANY price for the hardware just for the opportunity to use OS X. The company has so much cash it's obvious that their profit margins are much higher than necessary to support R&D costs.
  • Reply 49 of 279
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    People pay full retail for a copy of Windows to run on their Mac. But Microsoft is telling them not to buy a machine that runs Windows.

There are a lot of analogies here - and the behavior would look strange. Like Exxon telling me to buy a Mazda or Time Warner telling me to buy a Samsung television.

Microsoft makes Office for Mac and then tells people not to buy a Mac? The whole message is confused.

That said, MS has resorted to mud slinging. Will it work with a certain audience? Sure. Did Apple do it first? I guess. But it doesn't look so good when you have the giant market share. It looks kind of weird, desperate, paranoid and misguided.
  • Reply 50 of 279
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    My friend is a well-paid freelance consultant. He pointed out that with the time he had spent trying to get his Vista laptop to work properly, he could have bought a Macbook - and a Mercedes.

The value of a Mac increases with the value you put on your time and frustration - whether you measure that financially or, more importantly, as time to spend doing something else with your life.
  • Reply 51 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

I hope it knocks some sense into Apple, who seem to think that their customers will pay ANY price for the hardware just for the opportunity to use OS X. The company has so much cash it's obvious that their profit margins are much higher than necessary to support R&D costs.

Knocks some sense into Apple?

In case you haven't heard, in the midst of an economic recession, Apple's last quarterly results were the best in it's 30 year history.. In contrast to just about every PC manufacturer with layoffs and missed expectations.

Apple is selling better than ever, making money, growing market-share and about to become the largest electronics giant in the world..

I'd say they've got a good grip on being sensible..
  • Reply 52 of 279
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Do they sell Toyotas that have better specs and more features than a Lexus?

Do Toyotas come with an innovative, intuitive engine and performance package that no Lexus has?

Do you get the same level of service, treatment, and all-around customer experience at a Honda dealership as an Acura dealership?

What about resale value? Do Nissans hold their resale values as well as Infinitis?
  • Reply 53 of 279
    algallialgalli Posts: 10member
    This is all about Microsofts innovation - or complete lack thereof. They run on cheap machines. They have nothing else to recommend them so they must follow the time honored practice of leading from their strong point which is cheapness. Ballmer is some leader!
  • Reply 54 of 279
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    So true, I can buy a cheap broom, plastic dustpan and brush. I can proceed to clean the carpet and around the house. Sure it will take a ton of time, I'll get dirty and tired, sweaty and it won't even do a great job cleaning. If I do the job 2 or 3 times it may get clean.. lots of pain and effort, but hey I saved thousands of dollars with this scenario, rather than buying a Dyson.
  • Reply 55 of 279
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thoughts?

Apple is smart enough. They not gonna have a fight, they just gonna make another PCvsMAC ad.
  • Reply 56 of 279
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

So true, I can buy a cheap broom, plastic dustpan and brush. I can proceed to clean the carpet and around the house. Sure it will take a ton of time, I'll get dirty and tired, sweaty and it won't even do a great job cleaning. If I do the job 2 or 3 times it may get clean.. lots of pain and effort, but hey I saved thousands of dollars with this scenario, rather than buying a Dyson.

So true, I went through at least 5 of the cheap $89 Hoover's from Target before trying a Dyson... Yeah, it was $400, but it's still working 2 years later..
  • Reply 57 of 279
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Thoughts?

He didn't say he wasn't!

Jimzip
  • Reply 58 of 279
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brownreese View Post

Don't last as long? you must be kidding. My 128K mac still works.

As a fellow Mac 128k owner, and owner of a Mac 512k with internal GCC Hyperdrive 20 and an SE/30, I would like to point out that these old Macs were not built in China. My company manufactures in Japan, Taiwan and China. Manufacturing costs are lowest in China, but so is the quality of the merchandise produced. I am not saying "all new Macs are now garbage" because of this. But you just cannot compare older Macs made in Fremont CA or Japan with modern day "Made in China" Macs. They are a world apart in terms of quality and durability, even when you compare desktops to desktops. And considering just how hot some of these old compact Macs would run internally (heat destroys, mind you), the fact you often find Mac 128's still in good working order versus more modern Macs that call it quits after a few years is a testament to the high quality and premium parts that were used in Macs in the early years.
  • Reply 59 of 279
    I'm just wondering: has anyone seen an actual window existing without a wall? I mean the "Window" itself is a hollow in the wall, so Window its the part of the wall, which is missing, right? So the slogen "Windows - Life without walls" is actually saying "Life without windows". Or am i getting the message wrong? )))

(By the way: in the sense of security, "Windows" is an excelent choice of name for that OS.).
  • Reply 60 of 279
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

This guy just obliterated any argument in this thread.

Very well put.

Obliterated everything, except the car analogy is old, tired and utterly false.