Video recording interface unearthed in iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The only thing that saddens me about the whole thing is that I would have preferred that they focussed on document editing with this revision instead of video and cameras. All the pieces are in place for full-scale word processing and document editing on the thing, but there is no word on anyone at Apple even thinking about it so far.

We have cut/copy/paste coming, though the coding still a little work. We also have Notes syncing, which is working quite well. So you will be able to technically edit a document on your iPhone/Touch.

However, I think that a proper iWork setup through MobileMe will have to be setup before you get the editing capabilities I think you are looking for. I think there may be some some technical hurdles to get the more in-depth editing worked out and to include the annotations feature of Work.com. Since the main focus of that would probably be iWork.com as a professional service, not the iPhone, I would doubt they will include it on the handset until the web portal is ready.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    paradymparadym Posts: 13member
    Quote:

I agree.

The only thing that saddens me about the whole thing is that I would have preferred that they focussed on document editing with this revision instead of video and cameras. All the pieces are in place for full-scale word processing and document editing on the thing, but there is no word on anyone at Apple even thinking about it so far.

Actually, rumor has it Microsoft is working on an iPhone version of Office, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple surprises us with Pages and Numbers, maybe even Keynote for iPhone. With the iPhone becoming more accepted in business I think we will see the ability to produce and edit documents before too long. When it was first introduced, the iPhone was more directed towards the consumer market, and even that was more for entertainment purposes.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Forget about that stupid video calling. A far better still camera is what most want and what most will use. A decent video camera would be handy I guess, but would be marketed more than used.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Forget about that stupid video calling. A far better still camera is what most want and what most will use. A decent video camera would be handy I guess, but would be marketed more than used.

What is interesting is that Apple was among the first (if not the first) who introduced a computer connected digital camera for consumers. They seem to avoid going that way again because the camera was complete market failure. Like you, I really hope they improve overall picture quality not just adding more pixels.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

Your right, I think the most useful thing is a better camera, but I think video calling would be the big game changer. Apple, would make it seamless like they do with everything else and if it worked like I chat does not nobody would come close to the iphone.

Video calling has been around in Europe for a while and I think Apple has the means to do it the right way.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paradym View Post

Actually, rumor has it Microsoft is working on an iPhone version of Office, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple surprises us with Pages and Numbers, maybe even Keynote for iPhone. ...

I sure hope so, although there are no indications so far that this is happening (iWork for iPhone).

I will use Pages if they come out with a mobile version or even buy a third party solution but I refuse to buy Office after having successfully removed it from my work and home life for a year or so now. I am a veteran of many portable devices from Palm pilots all the way through Windows CE to PocketPC and everything in between, and I've never seen a mobile version of Office that was anything but junk.

Pages beats the pants off of Word for usability on the desktop, I am hoping that someone at Apple is working on "Pages mobile" as we speak.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We have cut/copy/paste coming, though the coding still a little work. We also have Notes syncing, which is working quite well. So you will be able to technically edit a document on your iPhone/Touch.

However, I think that a proper iWork setup through MobileMe will have to be setup before you get the editing capabilities I think you are looking for. I think there may be some some technical hurdles to get the more in-depth editing worked out and to include the annotations feature of Work.com. Since the main focus of that would probably be iWork.com as a professional service, not the iPhone, I would doubt they will include it on the handset until the web portal is ready.

You are probably right, but the existence of the new features in iPhone OS 3.0 makes word processing possible, so I am thinking that there are devs working on tiny word processors as we speak.

If at all possible, you'd think that Apple would want to get in on the ground floor before people become attached to a different third party mobile word processor, but I agree that it's not likely given the complete silence on the matter from Apple and the focus on media for this iPhone revision.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

...but I agree that it's not likely given the complete silence on the matter from Apple and the focus on media for this iPhone revision.

Are there any significant features of iPhone OS v2.x that were not demoed but become available after the release? That may be telling as we know Apple probably wouldn't have demoed a half done feature. cut/copy/paste still needs some work in Beta 2.

PS: I haven't that feature much since installing the beta, but I have used shake to undo typing feature quite a bit.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paradym View Post

Again, my guess is that it will be called iPhone Video.

Given the slew of rumors related to video (including the faster network speed to make video usable), that would be at the top of my list too. Another lower-rated possibility would be iPhone Chat.

Apple always focuses on at least one major theme with each new iPod/iPhone. Sometimes it's a major size reduction, but I don't think that will happen for iPhone. Other times, it's a key capability where Apple aims and claims to be much better than its competitors. With the original iPhone, it was "Internet communicator" or "the full Internet" or "real browser". With iPhone 3G, it was "twice the speed at half the price" and once the App Store took off, "there's an app for just about anything".

This time, at least with the higher end model, it looks like video is it. The low-power chips to efficiently encode H.264 video are available. And it would make sense given the recent popularity of the Flip cams, and given how blogging is moving from text to video. And Steve Jobs would love for iChat for PC to carve another beachhead on top of Windows (more ice water!).

And finally, video is very attractive to the average affluent or aspirational consumer. Apple will make a big deal over how much easier it is to take and add video than for any other phone ever; you might even be able to add a music clip to it, right on your iPhone. Much more attractive than document editing. (Now that C&P is here, text/spreadsheet editing will just be a low-key app announcement somewhere down the line.)
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Doesn't seem to be anything about a front-facing camera in all this. I hope that these indicators turn out to be wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    I don't know about you guys but I'd really love to have a compass in the next iPhone
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Doesn't seem to be anything about a front-facing camera in all this. I hope that these indicators turn out to be wrong.

I was hoping for a forward facing camera, but I'm not sure it's in the cards.

What occurs to me is that if there were two cameras, then the picture taking interface we have seen screen shots of, would have to have an option for picking which camera you are going to use unless the forward facing camera is only used in iChat (who's interface we haven't seen), and/or is automatic for that use but not available for regular picture taking use.

I'm thinking that the "send a video to your friends" is all we get for now and video calls are later?

Too bad if true though.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Will with poor rationalization that because something is technically capable of something, albiet poorly and with dire consequences to the rest of the system functions, that it should be included? Any camera can potentially be made into a video camera as it is only a series of still images in repetition. However, the video camera on jailbroken iPhones is not only poor quality but requires an excessive amount of processing to work which is highly draining on the battery. Like it or not, Apple has never been one to include a feature just to impress nerds with the size of their spec sheet. If you want that kind that of device there are plenty of handset of vendors that have, that are, and that will always satisfy such needs.

Didn't realize you worked for Apple Marketing. I've not seen videos from jailbroken iPhones. Obviously, Apple didn't think it good enough quality, and I suspect that is why it is not there. They want it excellent or not at all. I'm not sure what the "dire consequences" might be, unless people are ruining their jailbroken phones or constantly crashing them - never heard this. Use of battery life should be my choice. I might be disappointed with the quality, and Apple probably thinks I would be, but I bet it is as good as a lot of other phones.

And I want it on my iPhone, not another phone. We all know the features iPhone is lacking that is standard on just about ANY phone, smart or otherwise: video, one button voice dialing, playing music over bluetooth. My wife's Blackberry Bold can do those things well, but of course it isn't as good for Internet browsing.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

You forget the youth of today love to send revealing shots of themselves to their buds and video will just be the pimp daddy thing of all things.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Use of battery life should be my choice.

That sure is your choice, just as it's Apple choice to not to include a feature that will result in returns, lawsuits and a general weakening of the brand and product because it doesn't ruins their product model.

If you don't think these things are not taken into consideration or that a company is somehow required to include a feature simply because YOU want it and it's technically possible then you don't understand how a free market works. I don't recall ever reading so many posts basically stating "I want it so Apple should include it!" before the iPhone arrived.

Take a look at the Blackberry Storm/Thunder for an example of how a product can get damaged if you fail to deliver. If the iPhone 3G with its v2.0 OS was the first iPhone that Apple launched it may have suffered the same consequences with 3G issues in large metropolises and frequent Safari browser crashes.

If you want a battery eating video cam go ahead and jailbreak your iPhone. I have jailbroken every version up until v3.0 and tried out plenty of the free apps that were touted by the jailbreaking community before the App Store SDK was ready. Install it, then tell me if it's a worthwhile app or if the idea of having it regardless of the usability is more of geek-dick measuring tool.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'm in spasms

i've been harping on this till you guys got sick

this is from macdailynews.com

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/20712/

OMG OMG OMG OMG
  • Reply 37 of 48
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Microsoft is, they're coming out with Office for the iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

my wife and I were talking about getting a flip minoHD for some trips we're planning on taking. I guess we may just look into upgrading our iPhones, although I hope this feature can still be used with the 3G with the 3.0 update.

I highly doubt it. The Flip HD is better quality than the iPhone 3G is capable of. The new iPhone may or may not be better quality. The 3G is capable of video, and I've used it on my jailbroken 3G with results that were useful, but not great.

However, Apple clearly has no intention of enabling video for the 3G. If they did, they would've announced it when the did the 3.0 demo. Instead, these people hacked the .plist file to fool 3.0 into thinking there was a video camera present.

If the 3.0 camera app checks for a video camera being present as opposed to the still camera, then Apple isn't going to enable this for the 3G or original iPhones since there would be no reason to check before enabling video functionality.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What is interesting is that Apple was among the first (if not the first) who introduced a computer connected digital camera for consumers.... the camera was complete market failure...

That is because, IMHO, iChat is a lousy - no, make that pathetic - program. Its port requirements and other protocols, most of which I have trouble figuring out between Apple's instructions/manuals/guidelines and the IT folks that I have to invariably deal with, are opaque.

The bottom line: it almost never works, at least, hasn't for me, especially during travels (which is when I need it the most).

Apple needs to make the whole process of video-chat much simpler.

PS: The only thing worse than iChat is the utterly crappy me.com.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple needs to make the whole process of video-chat much simpler.

Port forwarding and UPnP is what it is. Apple has made it easier by making their own routers which forward the traffic and give QoS to certain traffic. I don't think they can really do more than that, unless you expect them to pay other companies to auto-configure their routers just for iChat A/V.

Quote:

PS: The only thing worse than iChat is the utterly crappy me.com.

What do you find crappy about me.com? It pretty everything I wanted from .Mac and expect for the first weekend of its launch it's worked great.