One thing I would like to see added

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Although there are several things, It would be nice to be able to click on an app in the dock and have 'hide' and 'hide others' that would be wonderful.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Agreed.



    Someone give Apple some Feedback on this...would be really cool.



    Although, I don't see the point of the 'Hide Others' thing. How would this work, switch to the app in the Dock and hide everything else?



    They would have to work this into the command+(shift+)tab shortcuts somehow.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm, I have those features on my dock, not sure if it was standard... I did tinker with it using Transparent Dock so I have the hide function if I right click on the app... if I hold down option it changes to hide others. Though with my many button pointing device, I just have one button to do cmd+h, pretty nifty.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

    <strong>Although there are several things, It would be nice to be able to click on an app in the dock and have 'hide' and 'hide others' that would be wonderful.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Well... don't want to add *too* much to those Dock menus.



    I assume you know the Dock shortcuts, right? That option-clicking on an icon in the Dock will hide the app you've just switched from, and option-command-clicking will hide everything except what you're switching to...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    no i wasn't but i still thinkthey should add it...but i agree, too much is not good...itunes already is pretty full
  • Reply 5 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

    <strong>no i wasn't but i still thinkthey should add it...but i agree, too much is not good...itunes already is pretty full</strong><hr></blockquote>



    the iTunes stuff should be added to the menu bar like iChat is... (IMHO)
  • Reply 6 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hobbes:

    <strong>



    Well... don't want to add *too* much to those Dock menus.



    I assume you know the Dock shortcuts, right? That option-clicking on an icon in the Dock will hide the app you've just switched from, and option-command-clicking will hide everything except what you're switching to...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    these dont work for me...



    are you sure you dont have any hacks installed to enable these things/
  • Reply 7 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

    <strong>



    these dont work for me...



    are you sure you dont have any hacks installed to enable these things/</strong><hr></blockquote>



    They work just fine for me, and I run a haxie-free system.



    You on Jaguar yet?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    work fine or me also



    OS 10.2.2
  • Reply 9 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

    <strong>



    They work just fine for me, and I run a haxie-free system.



    You on Jaguar yet?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    yes I am... but i am also using clear dock and tinkertool...



    maybe they are causing problems...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

    <strong>Hm, I have those features on my dock, not sure if it was standard... I did tinker with it using Transparent Dock so I have the hide function if I right click on the app... if I hold down option it changes to hide others. Though with my many button pointing device, I just have one button to do cmd+h, pretty nifty.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Or you could do like me and have one of your buttons set to option-click. Then you just use that button to click the app you want to switch to to hide the current. Mue nifty!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hide is already there, just hidden. Transparent Dock enabled for me. Why is Apple being retarded and hiding cool features, STILL? At least they added transparency to the Terminal, because of course we NEED that.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    One thing I want to see added, and shoot me if this makes me a luddite, is collapsing windows. You know, title bar and no window. Like in Ye Olde Classick.



    I need lots of documents open sometimes and I don't want to have them cluttering up my desktop. It's tremendously annoying to have to go to the dock and run the cursor over them just to see what I've got.



    I got pissed off laboriously opening files I already had open and now I minimise in place. Which is cool, and that, a tremendous hack n' all, but I still have to click on a minimised window to see what it is.



    Collapsing windows ('window shade'?) was probably the one good thing about the Classic desktop. Certainly it't the only thing I'd like to see brought back.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...this ol' thread is still alive?





    there is a hack that will do that if you didn't know, don't remember what its called but i had it on
  • Reply 14 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah:

    <strong>One thing I want to see added, and shoot me if this makes me a luddite, is collapsing windows. You know, title bar and no window. Like in Ye Olde Classick.</strong><hr></blockquote> **BANG**



    The hack ast3r3x refers to is called WindowShade X. It's by unsanity and uses the APE hack. Use at your own risk, though, because unsanity's "haxies" are infamous for causing problems and overall system instabilities.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    THere are a few of the native systems that doesnt work correctly with the dock. Danish is one of them, cant remember the others!

    But in 10.2.x &lt;10.2.3, right-click, and some command-, control-, shift-button commands doesnt work without a hack!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    They're already there:



    Alt + Click = Hide others



    Alt + Command + Click = Hide/Show



    Try it



    Andrew
  • Reply 17 of 23
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

    <strong>Agreed.



    Someone give Apple some Feedback on this...would be really cool.



    Although, I don't see the point of the 'Hide Others' thing. How would this work, switch to the app in the Dock and hide everything else?



    They would have to work this into the command+(shift+)tab shortcuts somehow.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Couldn't it be set up to work like taskmenubar? I use taskmenubar in OS 8.6 and what it does is puts icons of open apps in the top menubar. If you click on one of these icons, you get to that app. If you click twice on one of these icons in the menubar, you get to that app AND hide all others. Easy and simple!



    I find this way MUCH easier to use to switch between apps, hide apps, and see what's running than the pull down menu. The OS 8.6 tear off menu works but I find it's gets in the way of open app windows and then I have to move things around to get to it. It's better (for me) when the open app icons are in the menubar. They never get in the way of anything while in the menubar.



    I don't know why the dock couldn't be set up like this. Click twice on an open app icon and you get that app and hide all others.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

    <strong>

    I don't know why the dock couldn't be set up like this. Click twice on an open app icon and you get that app and hide all others.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Cause it'd scare all the n00bs who think you have to double-click to activate anything.



    Besides, what's wrong with alt-clicking?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

    <strong>



    yes I am... but i am also using clear dock and tinkertool...



    maybe they are causing problems... </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Hm, I have ClearDock installed (and TinkerTool at one point), and it's always worked fine. I'd definitely miss it, as I use it every day. Odd.



    If you've installed the MIP hack (a version of the Dock from early Jaguar seeds that had minimize-in-place working), then option/alt-clicking in the Dock won't work.



    Otherwise, it should...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hobbes:

    <strong>If you've installed the MIP hack (a version of the Dock from early Jaguar seeds that had minimize-in-place working), then option/alt-clicking in the Dock won't work.



    Otherwise, it should...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    ah, yes i have that too... why does it break the functionality?



    i thought there was "no" drawbacks... the only reason i installed it... oh well



    I find it extremely more useful then the dock mouse combos...
Sign In or Register to comment.