Apple begins countdown to 1 billion App Store downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are 265 days left in the year. At 5M downloads a day that is a 2nd Billion in 200 days after hitting the first Billion.

Although I assume that this daily download rate will be increasing as I imagine that Apple is counting update downloads, as they are the full app being downloaded. Then in June-July the new iPhone will certainly cause another push to the handset which will increase the app download rate. Then there is the iPod Touch update with the next iPod release around Aug-Oct that will cause a smaller, but noticeable increase. Finally, there is the opening up of the 30-pin connector and those 1000 new APIs that will help push developers to make even more apps and attachments that use apps. All of these things, along with this giveaway, that will boost the numbers. I think 5M is about half of what we'll see per day average later this year.

At 5M a day it should be a full to weeks before 1B is obtained, but I have a feeling it will be completely in around 10 days. Monday, April 20th.

How fast did the iTunes Music Store sell in comparison?

You didn't mention that iPhone might be released in China this year too. That is a huge

potential source of app store business.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You didn't mention that iPhone might be released in China this year too. That is a huge potential source of app store business.

I thought of that, but then I figure if they can't use WiFi and they are limited with the type of content they can download, would they not have a separate App Store? Would it still be under Apple's control? I think the answer is yes to both questions, but we still need to see when the iPhone will be released there. Either way, I think Apple will be making some major sales when they do. I was thinking they were holding off until this quarter to shore up numbers that would drop in most places as people wait for for the next version to be released, but it seems that is not the case.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    A great idea to increase App downloads.

I guess Apple wants to get 1 Billion under its pants ASAP before the launch of iPhone number 3.

Because without this contest, the way to 1 billion was still over 1 million downloads away.

They are trying hard it seems.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Just post the Slingbox app already!...
  • Reply 25 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

A great idea to increase App downloads.

I guess Apple wants to get 1 Billion under its pants ASAP before the launch of iPhone number 3.

Because without this contest, the way to 1 billion was still over 1 million downloads away.

They are trying hard it seems.

It is called marketing. They really don't need this contest to reach a billion download. At the current rate of 3.4 million download a day, they can reach one billion in less month from today (25 days). This is well before the next generation iPhone launch sometime in Jun or July.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'll be able to participate in the promotion even if I download a Free app, right?

You can also participate without downloading anything. Just fill out their contest entry form online... up to 25 times per day. Guess I've got my next month of time already blocked out with this task...
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You didn't mention that iPhone might be released in China this year too. That is a huge

potential source of app store business.

I have a feeling that the apps available to the Chinese may be individually scrutinized and/or blocked.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    As far as we know, there are no more iMac updates expected over the next 4 to 5 months... right?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quebec-living people CANNOT participate because of... [Enter invalid reason here] It's frustrating... But anyways, I wouldn't have won probably.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is called marketing. They really don't need this contest to reach a billion download. At the current rate of 3.4 million download a day, they can reach one billion in less month from today (25 days). This is well before the next generation iPhone launch sometime in Jun or July.

proven that the downloads are most when you first purchase the phone then die off sharply after 1 mth.

I use to download tons of Apps and now I don't. Google the facts.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is logical, why do you expect people to forever download many app? Its logical that people are going to purchase the most apps when the device is new. Once you have the apps you use the most you aren't going to continue to download the same number.

Quote:

proven that the downloads are most when you first purchase the phone then die off sharply after 1 mth.

• Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is logical, why do you expect people to forever download many app? Its logical that people are going to purchase the most apps when the device is new. Once you have the apps you use the most you aren't going to continue to download the same number.

Perhaps he doesn't realize that people do that with PCs, too. I'd say that they are more likely to not add as many additional apps after their initial setup as they are with the iPhone. Mostly because the ease of buying and installion from the device, combined with the low price and general high quality of the apps makes it a must have. I just downloaded Dictionary.com's new app yesterday. This is great, I just wish that every word was clickable like with Apple's Mac version.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Can you buy a Macbook Pro with an iTunes gift card?

With a 30" display, 8GB RAM etc, tick all the boxes for everything!!!

• Reply 34 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Google my arse!

I used to download lots of Apps for the first month too, then the second, third, fourth and so on, now as I approach my ninth month of iPhone 3G ownership I am downloading as many as ever.

Skype, Wolfenstein 3D (Yay! ID software, Doom, Doom, Doom and Quake, Quake, Quake... John Carmack if you are reading this, please please, please, please!!!), there is so much worthwhile stuff coming out all the time.

Bring on iPhone OS 3.0 so the Apps go up another notch!!!

Quote:

• Reply 35 of 45
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

I downloaded a lot the first month or so, stopped for about 6-8 months, then started up again. Now I check the apps store regularly, there's usually something new every week worth getting.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I downloaded a lot the first month or so, stopped for about 6-8 months, then started up again. Now I check the apps store regularly, there's usually something new every week worth getting.

With so many apps and the convoluted nature of the iTunes Store, which I dislike greatly, I tend to wait for other sources to point out new apps that I may like. Most notably is AppleInsider Backpage. I'm guessing it isn't read much they rarely get comments on the blogs.

I just keep the RSS link in my reader..
  • Reply 37 of 45
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Although I assume that this daily download rate will be increasing as I imagine that Apple is counting update downloads, as they are the full app being downloaded.

It's so obvious that Apple is NOT counting updates that they see no reason to mention it. I'm sure if someone called, they'd be surprised that anyone would even think that would be the case.

Just think about it. There are over 30M iPhones and iPod touches, as of Dec. 31, and probably 33+M by now, and over 30,000 apps available. 1B discrete apps downloaded would be about 30 apps each. Not out of the realm of possibility considering that the typical iPod has about 30 music tracks downloaded, but with the iPhone and touch, many of those downloads can be free ones.

With Facebook at over 6.7M downloads, it would only take about 150 apps of that popularity to reach 1B. Of course, some apps reach 6.7M downloads and some are just ones and twos, but with over 30,000 apps available, 1B discrete downloads is a pittance.

Why people assume updates are included seems obviously nonsensical upon a few seconds of reflection, I just cringe every time I hear that. What were you thinking?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

Just think about it. There are over 30M iPhones and iPod touches, as of Dec. 31, and probably 33+M by now, and over 30,000 apps available. 1B discrete apps downloaded would be about 30 apps each.

Mea culpa, that math does work out.

Quote:

I just cringe every time I hear that. What were you thinking?

No need to cringe, just point the simple math of 1,000,000,000 / 33,000,000 = ~30. I assumed it was updates too because it is what I would have done unless some governing body disallowed it. It is a full download of the app, after all.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Can you provide a link to that proof/study please?

I remember that an iPhone app tracker said that people stopped using "Free" apps after short while not stop purchasing at all. Personally, I have been buying apps at constant pace. I buy apps that I need and many of the apps I need are just becoming available.

By the way, Apple reached 500 Million download in early January this year meaning an average of 2.8 Million apps per day. From January to now (920 million - 500 million = 420 Millions in 3 months) meaning 4.6 million each day. Based on the sales data, Apple sales actually increasing not decreasing. This makes sense because now there are more than 25,000 apps compared to 15,000 apps in january. More apps mean more sales.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    appl = $119.57